Google

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Full version of SSotS from ARW

Full version of SSotS from ARW

Video of the first set from the Mountain Winery gig. South Side of the Sky begins at 17:09. I'm liking it a lot, the audio isn't great but god they are rocking. The arrangement is different and it's great to hear Trevor add his backing vocals to that wonderful middle section. Lou and Lee are killing it. No mid tempo bs here, this band has some mojo and is whipping into shape.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUFiY4ZEt4

Re: Full version of SSotS from ARW

Well holy crap - that really is excellent. It confirms what I thought - that really was a great classic cut for Rabin. They sound fantastic. Thanks for posting!
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    Well holy crap - that really is excellent. It confirms what I thought - that really was a great classic cut for Rabin. They sound fantastic. Thanks for posting!
    Of course Pete! Yes, a great choice, I just love how they are rocking and not sounding beleaguered by age at all.

Well, coudn't help but notice the poster identified the wrong person in ARW. Thank you for posting. I enjoyed SSOT and then watched the beginning of AYAI which I really liked. Jon is hitting it out of the ball park with the triangle?? And in SSOT. Very nice.

My wish list for next time around is do CTTE,Endless Dream, at least 2 if not three new songs. But most of all what they enjoy to play will benefit us all. But CTTE has hardly been played lately(I am sure someone has it at their fingertips) to my reckoning and Endless Dream would be a nice deepcut that Yes Official will never touch and I would really like to see RW put his flourishes on it. Filling out with tasty Rabin era songs, SHAL, my fav.

I know some will say, yeah right like they're going to practice and rehearse all that, but if they want to create enthusiasm and stay viable they can't rest on their laurels.
    Last edited by Laddr; 08-31-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    Close To The Edge of a Topographical Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Laddr View Post
    Well, coudn't help but notice the poster identified the wrong person in ARW. Thank you for posting. I enjoed SSOT and then watched the beginning of AYAI which I really liked. Jon is hitting it out of the ball park with the triangle?? And in SSOT. Very nice.

My wish list for next time around is do CTTE,Endless Dream, at least 2 if not three new songs. But most of all what they enjoy to play will benefit us all. But CTTE has hardly been played lately(I am sure someone has it at their fingertips) to my reckoning and Endless Dream would be a nice deepcut that Yes Official will never touch and I would really like to see RW put his flourishes on it. Filling out with tasty Rabin era songs, SHAL, my fav.

I know some will say, yeah right like they're going to practice and rehearse all that, but if they want to create enthusiasm and stay viable they can't rest on their laurels.
    I'm with you on Close to the Edge. As I've said before, I know some would think that sacrilegious but CTTE rocks and Trevor just might surprise us. There is a freshness to what they are doing with the music, it just feels alive, modern and I know I keep repeating myself but man, it rocks. That rocking vibe has been so sorely missing in the Yes sphere in recent years. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    I'm with you on Close to the Edge. As I've said before, I know some would think that sacrilegious but CTTE rocks and Trevor just might surprise us. There is a freshness to what they are doing with the music, it just feels alive, modern and I know I keep repeating myself but man, it rocks. That rocking vibe has been so sorely missing in the Yes sphere in recent years. Wow
    And now I must agree with you, they sound great, energetic and reimagining.
    Close To The Edge of a Topographical Ocean

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

The ending is fantastic, half expecting the dueling guitar/synth bit so that was a nice surprise. It's stuff like this that makes them more Yes to me than Yes, not just Memorex performances where every note is exactly what you expect to hear and where you expect it to be. That's not the spirit of what Yes was about imo.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    Absolutely right, great cut for Trevor.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

What primarily makes it more rocking is that Rabin plays with full on distortion, where Howe plays everthing very clean these days. A little to a lot of distortion makes for a fuller sound. Then there's Lou's drumming which is much more rocking and firm. My only point of critism would be that I feel in the first part before the Piano break Jon's voice has a hard time coping with so much instrumental 'violence'. But overall it's a fantastic version.

But in all fairness YesO's version on this tour is a lot more rocking than it was on some of the tours they played in recent years, and Drama last year rocked pretty good as well.
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

What I had noticed when I heard the snippets from Stockton and Saratoga was the same thing you guys did - it's totally rockin' - which is what I expected since that's their overall sound. I loved Lee's harmonies too, of course. But yeah I am diggiing it for sure, can't wait to see/hear a better-quality version.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

London (and sometimes Dharamasala, India)

I was disappointed to hear ARW were playing this - fully expecting another butchering by Rabin. Don't get me wrong, I think Rabin is a phenomenal guitarist (musician) - he just is not Steve Howe and Steve's guitar playing means so very much to me on the classic period pieces. I was also concerned because of the dreadful mess Rabin and Wakeman made of LDR, a song which needs and thrives on empty space and clear lines, while for some reason Rabin and Wakeman treated it like a pissing match.

With the other comments in this thread I decided to listen to this recording, with a little hope. Sadly the recording is poor and I found picking out the guitar work difficult at first. But when I could hear it, I was disappointed to hear, once again, that Rabin's guitar work just does not work for me, although it's not as "bad" as I had expected. The ending, though, like many of the revisions this iteration of Yes (and I do consider them Yes) have introduced, is just lame.

Having said all this, I am genuinely pleased this band exists and are playing Yes music with gusto and verve, even it much of the style/interpretation doesn't suit my personal taste. I also just think they should add more Rabin era tracks rather than more classic period (TYA-GFTO) ones.
    26/10/77 (Wembley); 26/10/78 (Wembley); 14/12/80 and 16/12/80 (Hammersmith); 11/7/84 and 12/7/84 (Wembley); 8/12/87 (Montreal); 23/8/89 (ABWH - Ottawa); ... The Wilderness Years ...; 16/6/04 (Wembley); 17/11/09 (Hammersmith); 17/11/11 (Hammersmith); 26/3/13, 27/3/13 and 29/3/13 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/4/14 and 9/4/14 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/5/14 (Royal Albert Hall); 15/11/15 and 16/11/15 (Cruise to the Edge); 10/5/16 (Royal Albert Hall); 19/3/17 (ARW - Hammersmith)

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    What I had noticed when I heard the snippets from Stockton and Saratoga was the same thing you guys did - it's totally rockin' - which is what I expected since that's their overall sound. I loved Lee's harmonies too, of course. But yeah I am diggiing it for sure, can't wait to see/hear a better-quality version.

I'm just really psyched to see guys in their sixties and seventies playing with this much gusto. It really counters that "well they're getting old we can't expect them to play with the fire they use to" kind of reasoning. And of course Lou was an excellent choice to bring the thunder to this quintet, that guy plays with authority and it's just what the music needs.

Super Mega Yesfan

Missed opportunity for another walkabout at the end of the song haha.

Sounds great to my ears, though. Glad they are doing a song you wouldn't expect them to play. Rhythm section is particularly strong here.

I'm just really psyched to see guys in their sixties and seventies playing with this much gusto. It really counters that "well they're getting old we can't expect them to play with the fire they use to" kind of reasoning. And of course Lou was an excellent choice to bring the thunder to this quintet, that guy plays with authority and it's just what the music needs.
    Yes! And it makes the thought of new stuff even more exciting - if they intend to play their new music live, they won't need to restrict themselves to writing 'easier' songs to be able to do this. I'm looking forward to it even more, now.

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

Damn, YES f is freaking getting better, I haven't paid attention. That mid section is sublime, the sublime part of Yes is what sometimes got lost as they got older, this is better than when they did it in 2004 in my estimation.

I was only going to go to one show, I think I'll go to two.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

And of course Lou was an excellent choice to bring the thunder to this quintet, that guy plays with authority and it's just what the music needs.
    And the choice of drummer is so important overall. Now people can see why Trevor has hung on to Lou all these years.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    And the choice of drummer is so important overall. Now people can see why Trevor has hung on to Lou all these years.

Yeah, he is shining a bit more it seems on this tour. The drumming is so important on this song.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar

Canada2 Re: Full version of SSotS from ARW

Why, in the name of all the Rock n' Roll gods did they NOT play the dueling lead licks bit for the ending?
    Admitedly I am more of an O-Yes fan, but I'm not comparing the 2 band's performances & the studio recording and judging what's missing or different, it's just, the missed potential of that ending!
    To see Trevor & Rick face off, jamming alternating 4 or 8 bar solos, especially in a rocker like this tune, would be a major highlight of the show for me. These 2 guys like to jam, they both approach songs, even those they originally recorded, so that most everything but the main themes are up for spontaneous reinterpretation.
    Unlike the Vegas-style walkabout, this could result in a fiery jam session. A true musical exchange in the moment.
    Unlike the O-Yes version of SSOTS (I love their version, I'd give it a 9.5, but the trading licks bit is just another section of the song, not a jam, anymore) a smoking hot face off between 2 great soloists would be one of the greatest attractions to a F-Yes live show for me.
    Jon, cut them loose!

Quote Originally Posted by khatrooper View Post
    Why, in the name of all the Rock n' Roll gods did they NOT play the dueling lead licks bit for the ending?
    Admitedly I am more of an O-Yes fan, but I'm not comparing the 2 band's performances & the studio recording and judging what's missing or different, it's just, the missed potential of that ending!
    To see Trevor & Rick face off, jamming alternating 4 or 8 bar solos, especially in a rocker like this tune, would be a major highlight of the show for me. These 2 guys like to jam, they both approach songs, even those they originally recorded, so that most everything but the main themes are up for spontaneous reinterpretation.
    Unlike the Vegas-style walkabout, this could result in a fiery jam session. A true musical exchange in the moment.
    Unlike the O-Yes version of SSOTS (I love their version, I'd give it a 9.5, but the trading licks bit is just another section of the song, not a jam, anymore) a smoking hot face off between 2 great soloists would be one of the greatest attractions to a F-Yes live show for me.
    Jon, cut them loose!

Good point, would be better if they did that than the Owner thing. But it still sounds pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Punj Lizard View Post
    I was disappointed to hear ARW were playing this - fully expecting another butchering by Rabin. Don't get me wrong, I think Rabin is a phenomenal guitarist (musician) - he just is not Steve Howe and Steve's guitar playing means so very much to me on the classic period pieces. I was also concerned because of the dreadful mess Rabin and Wakeman made of LDR, a song which needs and thrives on empty space and clear lines, while for some reason Rabin and Wakeman treated it like a pissing match.

With the other comments in this thread I decided to listen to this recording, with a little hope. Sadly the recording is poor and I found picking out the guitar work difficult at first. But when I could hear it, I was disappointed to hear, once again, that Rabin's guitar work just does not work for me, although it's not as "bad" as I had expected. The ending, though, like many of the revisions this iteration of Yes (and I do consider them Yes) have introduced, is just lame.

Having said all this, I am genuinely pleased this band exists and are playing Yes music with gusto and verve, even it much of the style/interpretation doesn't suit my personal taste. I also just think they should add more Rabin era tracks rather than more classic period (TYA-GFTO) ones.
    Careful now Jon. You might get labeled 'slagging off' ARW now or a hater and soon either Roundabout, Josev80, the Caped Crusader or even all of them might start blubbering on you.....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast