Google

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Merch Table @ ARW Show

Re: Merch Table @ ARW Show

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    It is only a rip-off for those who choose to purchase such things.
    I would imagine that the programme would be bought in good faith and on the reasonable assumption that the information contained therein would be accurate and up to date. I very much doubt that buyers would get much of a chance to look through it first before purchase. It is a bit naughty to sell the item in this manner without being up front about it - are they also selling t-shirts with last years dates too? I actually don't have an issue with selling old stock (some people do collect older stuff), but to sell in the manner they have, yes, it is a rip-off.

Hugh
    'Every Day That You Wait Is One More That You've Lost'

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

The t-shirts are new, with the dates for this particular tour on them.

Having seen what is in that particular program (with thanks to JudysTrevor sending me photos of the pages) there's not that much which is temporal-specific save the tour dates. It's mainly just photos.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

SR Super Yesfan

I see where you guys are coming from. However, I just want to spell out why I think those two admittedly stranger than normal transitions were still a continuation of the original band:

Drama to 90125: Though Yes technically disbanded between those two albums, it came back with three members from Drama, who carried on to 90125 in some capacity- two who continued on in the same role as members of the band (Squire, White), and one who transitioned from lead singer to producer (Horn). Filling out the lineup were two returning Yes men from previous albums (Kaye, Anderson). Rabin was the only one new to the Yes game. Also, since Squire and White began working on the band that would become Yes relatively quickly after the Drama tour wrapped up (The Drama tour wrapped in 1981, 90125 came out in 1983), it could be argued that the band never really disbanded- they intended to, they thought they did, but did they? A point could be made that it was simply a hiatus at best when we retroactively consider the earliest Cinema sessions as preparation for the next Yes album. There was a lot less time between these two Yes albums than a lot of other Yes albums had between them.

I do agree that this transition is the weakest link in the continuity chain- not because of the albums involved, which are two of my favorites, but because of the technical disbanding and reincarnation of the band- but I think the chain holds. I'd have more questions about it if other members of the Drama lineup had immediately launched a competing Yes centered around Steve Howe and Geoff Downes, but they didn't.

Magnification to Fly From Here: So, Magnification featured a four man version of Yes: Anderson, Squire, Howe, and White. Anderson left or was kicked out of the band. 75% of the people from Magnification were on Fly From Here (Squire, Howe, White) to provide the direct continuity from the previous album, plus one former Yes man (Downes) and a new guy (David).

Again here, I'd have more questions if, say, Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman had launched a competing version of Yes prior to or at roughly the same time as Yes (with Howe, etc.) continued touring or put out their first new studio album after Magnification. However, it took ARW about 15 years after the last album any of them had been on, 8-10 years after Yes (with Howe) had resumed touring, 5 years after Fly From Here, and 2 years after Heaven and Earth to get going. In fact, Yes had released 2 studio and 3 live albums with post-Anderson post-Magnification lineups before ARW got going, and when it did get going, it initially wasn't calling itself Yes (So we can probably add a year) and has yet to release a new studio album. When and if it does release a new studio album, there will almost certainly be no one from Yes' two previous studio albums on it, it'll have to reach back to Magnification, which by then may be nearly 20 years old.

I acknowledge that Yes Featuring ARW has the legal right to use that name. It's everyone's right to be entertained by them and enjoy their touring and hypothetical potential future live and/or studio albums. I just think it's clear that Steve Howe's group carries the flag of continuity from 1969 on, if either does. Yes Featuring ARW is more in the mold of an attempt to create a new Yes ex nihilo in the vision of some former members who are on the outs with or who don't want to be part of the Yes that has carried on the flag.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

I don't agree Magn to FFH
    GO FUND ME YESFANS.COM <-PLEASE CLICK

"YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Nor do I. But I am very tired of discussing this all.
    And really, no one is going to change their minds from where they are.
    Just go see either band when they are around. While they are around.

I agree with Weams.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    ^ This.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The entity currently known as Yes (official) began in 2008 as Howe, Squire and White Of Yes (introducing Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David) and I have the ticket stub to prove it. They didn’t switch to Yes until 2009. It seems to me that Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have done something similar to what Howe, Squire and White did with their shift to Yes Featuring....

Meanwhile, the Yes that began in the sixties really ended in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    A point could be made that it was simply a hiatus at best when we retroactively consider the earliest Cinema sessions as preparation for the next Yes album. There was a lot less time between these two Yes albums than a lot of other Yes albums had between them.
    Well the press had it that Yes had broken up. It was Steve Howe and Geoff Downes that were left "holding the bag" since Squire and White left (debunking the idea that they never left) But then if you listen to Alan White on Yesyears , he says he and Squire were actively trying to figure out what the next phase of Yes would be, and Yet they were Cinema, and that's what the band was according to Trevor Rabin , but Squire called it a working title.

ABWH, a night of Yes music plus, does work on a record meant to be their second, and then all of a sudden it's Yes. Yesworld now has the ABWH album in the Yes discography, the Yes box set includes tunes from it.

It could be argued in any sense, that's why it's ridiculous to argue that the current "Yes official" is the only Yes band that tracks itself back as the cycle was broken, the law would have to decide, but in the end, and at this point, if it's Yes in your heart, it's Yes for you the one who is paying the ticket.

It was Yes, when I saw ABWH, and Squire/ Howe/ White and ARW, and the current Howe band.

It's all Yes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Nor do I. But I am very tired of discussing this all.
    And really, no one is going to change their minds from where they are.
    Exactly brother, that is what I am doing!!!
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

SR Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    How come?
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    I see where you guys are coming from. However, I just want to spell out why I think those two admittedly stranger than normal transitions were still a continuation of the original band:

Drama to 90125: Though Yes technically disbanded between those two albums, it came back with three members from Drama, who carried on to 90125 in some capacity- two who continued on in the same role as members of the band (Squire, White), and one who transitioned from lead singer to producer (Horn). Filling out the lineup were two returning Yes men from previous albums (Kaye, Anderson). Rabin was the only one new to the Yes game. Also, since Squire and White began working on the band that would become Yes relatively quickly after the Drama tour wrapped up (The Drama tour wrapped in 1981, 90125 came out in 1983), it could be argued that the band never really disbanded- they intended to, they thought they did, but did they? A point could be made that it was simply a hiatus at best when we retroactively consider the earliest Cinema sessions as preparation for the next Yes album. There was a lot less time between these two Yes albums than a lot of other Yes albums had between them.

I do agree that this transition is the weakest link in the continuity chain- not because of the albums involved, which are two of my favorites, but because of the technical disbanding and reincarnation of the band- but I think the chain holds. I'd have more questions about it if other members of the Drama lineup had immediately launched a competing Yes centered around Steve Howe and Geoff Downes, but they didn't.

Magnification to Fly From Here: So, Magnification featured a four man version of Yes: Anderson, Squire, Howe, and White. Anderson left or was kicked out of the band. 75% of the people from Magnification were on Fly From Here (Squire, Howe, White) to provide the direct continuity from the previous album, plus one former Yes man (Downes) and a new guy (David).

Again here, I'd have more questions if, say, Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman had launched a competing version of Yes prior to or at roughly the same time as Yes (with Howe, etc.) continued touring or put out their first new studio album after Magnification. However, it took ARW about 15 years after the last album any of them had been on, 8-10 years after Yes (with Howe) had resumed touring, 5 years after Fly From Here, and 2 years after Heaven and Earth to get going. In fact, Yes had released 2 studio and 3 live albums with post-Anderson post-Magnification lineups before ARW got going, and when it did get going, it initially wasn't calling itself Yes (So we can probably add a year) and has yet to release a new studio album. When and if it does release a new studio album, there will almost certainly be no one from Yes' two previous studio albums on it, it'll have to reach back to Magnification, which by then may be nearly 20 years old.

I acknowledge that Yes Featuring ARW has the legal right to use that name. It's everyone's right to be entertained by them and enjoy their touring and hypothetical potential future live and/or studio albums. I just think it's clear that Steve Howe's group carries the flag of continuity from 1969 on, if either does. Yes Featuring ARW is more in the mold of an attempt to create a new Yes ex nihilo in the vision of some former members who are on the outs with or who don't want to be part of the Yes that has carried on the flag.
    My argument is based on the fact that the HSWWD band from which Yes Official has evolved actually made official public appearances under a different name prior to taking on the Yes name. Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have done something similar. Yes Featuring ARW is the one current Yes band that I personally want to hear and enjoy listening to, but it seems like a lot of people want to argue that one band or the other is the “real” Yes when to my way of thinking neither band truly qualifies for that lofty distinction. We got the closest thing we can get in the here and now for two songs at the R&RHOF and that’s probably it.
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

I would agree with your assessment....except that the ticket did say Howe, Squire, White (of Yes).

Benoit David was called an understudy, so in a sense, it was a band supposedly in waiting for the guy in the lead role, whom they eventually parted ways with, David became the man.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Back to the t-shirts, now I regret not taking enough cash to pick one up. Hopefully they will eventually sell them online. (maybe programs, too)

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

...and that's another problem I have - no online store. What the actual fcuk, Mr. Lane? It's a revenue stream which doesn't require a lot of up-front expenditure or overhead.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

YES and YES , two YES's from me

[QUOTE=YESOLA;2774065]I would agree with your assessment...

Benoit David

--

Wow has he been at the Merch table too ?

It was only till VERY RECENT did YESo have the online store they have now. It was sh*t for years with little avail though it. I sent them emails many times suggesting this and that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9