Google

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beatles song of the week 13-Aug-2017 -- Rain

Here today...

Re: Beatles song of the week 13-Aug-2017 -- Rain

Quote Originally Posted by YesNY View Post
    Plus people like songs about the sunshine better than rain.
    Do they? There is certainly no shortage of hit songs about rain, or with "rain" in the title. "Walking In the Rain", "It Might As Well Rain Until September", "Rain On the Roof", "Crying In the Rain", "Raining In My Heart"... the list goes on. It's true that rain is often a metaphor for sadness or depression, but as Elton John sang in "Sad Songs", when people are feeling down, sometimes it makes them feel a bit better to know that someone else was also feeling that way, enough to write a song about it.

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Do they? There is certainly no shortage of hit songs about rain, or with "rain" in the title. "Walking In the Rain", "It Might As Well Rain Until September", "Rain On the Roof", "Crying In the Rain", "Raining In My Heart"... the list goes on. It's true that rain is often a metaphor for sadness or depression, but as Elton John sang in "Sad Songs", when people are feeling down, sometimes it makes them feel a bit better to know that someone else was also feeling that way, enough to write a song about it.
    I would have gone with "Singing in the Rain" (Gene Kelly) and "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" (BJ Thomas) as examples for your argument. Interestingly, though, those two are happy songs.

Sticking to The Beatles though, here is my argument. I would say "Here Comes the Sun" would have been a smash on the singles charts had it not just been an album track only (in the US and UK). And album only tracks "I'll Follow the Sun" and Good Day Sunshine" would have charted better than "Rain". "Sun King" was part of a larger piece so I will put that one aside.

Four Beatles sun songs to one rain song. They knew what they were doing. I rest my case! :)
    Last edited by YesNY; 08-18-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

Weather IS a natural metaphor for our moods - Sunshine is happiness, rain is sadness.

There's no shortage of songs about both.

Rain
    Rain - The Beatles
    Rain - Uriah Heep
    Red Rain - PG
    Fire and Rain
    A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    It's Raining On Prom Night

Sun/Sunshine
    Here Comes the Sun
    Sun King
    Walking on Sunshine
    You Are the Sunshine of My Life
    Sunny Afternoon
    Waiting For the Sun
    Sunshine of Your Love
    You Are My Sunshine
    Sunshine On My Shoulders
    Good Day Sunshine

And then there's the songs that are different: Being happy despite the rain, or being depressed despite the sunshine

Black Hole Sun
    Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head
    Singing In the Rain
    I Dream of Rain
    Rainy Day, Dream Away
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

In an earlier post I opined that the Paperback Writer/Rain single was a big turning point single for The Beatles. My reason had to do with the torch of being the biggest hit maker in the band being passed from John to Paul.

Well, lo and behold, I find an article on the internet saying it was a big turning point single, but for very different reasons. It was written by Mike Tiano (from the old Notes to the Edge website) last year. It goes into great detail about both songs, and begins like this:

As the 50th anniversary of the Beatles saga rolls on, it recently reached a major milestone: a half century ago they released the single “Paperback Writer” and “Rain.” This was a huge turning point in the Beatles’ career, as the single ushered in major changes in songwriting, instrumentation and recording...

The full article can be found here:

The Beatles: Revelations of ‘Paperback Writer’ and ‘Rain’
    Last edited by YesNY; 08-18-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2