Google

Thread: Hello from Montreal / Rhino remasters circa 2003 and 2004

New to the site

Hello from Montreal / Rhino remasters circa 2003 and 2004

Hello from Montreal! It appears as though I am the newest addition to the group... and I thought I would introduce myself by jumping directly into the deep end with a question... a question that no doubt has been asked and addressed in the past, but, I wasn't sure where the subject matter was within the various forums. So here is my question: I would like to complete my catalogue of Yes remasters that were released by Rhino circa 2003 and 2004. But it looks to me that there is some inconsistency in terms of packaging: some are jewel boxes, some are digipacks. I know, for example, that "Going for the One" through to "90125" are jewel boxes... but an album like "Relayer," for instance, I think was only released as a digipack. Can anyone out there let me know starting with the first album what was released as a jewel box... a digipack... and as both? Again, apologies for no doubt introducing a topic that has been addressed previously, but all my efforts thus far to get to the bottom of this question have been non-conclusive.

Re: Hello from Montreal / Rhino remasters circa 2003 and 2004

Welcome, this may not be an answer to your exact question, but if you are looking for the best sounding versions of Yes on CD, check this link out. It might take a while to wade through but is worth it:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-on-cd.468111/

I have owned parts of every issue and reissue campaign, and tend to think the opinions in here are pretty valid. I would also highly recommend the Steven Wilson series of remixes, which generally have the original version included that sound pretty close if not exactly like the vinyl....

Keep in mind that some releases (GFTO springs to mind) are never going to sound that great based on how they were recorded!

New to the site

Hello Chescorph, and thank you for the super-fast reply and the Steve Hoffman suggestion. I guess my dilemma is that because I started with the Rhino remasters, I would kind of like to finish with them and have a complete set... but, preferably, that complete set being the jewel box editions from beginning to end... so, at least for the time being, what I am trying to ascertain is if "Relayer," to use that album as an example, was released as a remaster by Rhino in jewel box format (preferable for me), or, was it only released as a digipack (less preferable for me, as it wrecks the aesthetic continuity I have developed). Perhaps I need to get a life. But I also suspect that if there are kindred souls out there, they are bound to be members of this group.

JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar

Canada2 Re: Hello from Montreal / Rhino remasters circa 2003 and 2004

Hello Montreal I'm also Canadian but further east. I got the Rhino remasters when they 1st came out, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, and Relayer were digipacks. The rest were in standard jewel boxes. They may have been re-released later, try searching Amazon for diff versions.

Except for Drama (?), it appears the Roger Dean designed covers came out as digipacks only in the Rhino program.

New to the site

Hello khatrooper - - isn't it ironic: I searched the globe for an answer to my question, and ultimately the answer came from my next door neighbour! Incredible. And thank you. So, the first three Rhino albums were jewel boxes... Rhino albums from "Fragile" to "Relayer" were digipacks... and then jewel boxes return for "Going for the One" to "90125." That's unfortunate, and the logic for Rhino making that decision escapes me, but, thanks to you, now I know and am no longer lost in the fog. Really appreciated.

New to the site

Hi Chescorph - - according to khatrooper, the first three Rhino albums were jewel boxes... "Fragile" through to "Relayer" were digipacks... and then "Going for the One" through to "90125" were jewel boxes. It's too bad that the releases were not uniform... I guess Rhino had their reasons but the logic escapes me.

There is logic in that the four consecutive classic era Dean covers got the special treatment.

New to the site

Hello Ledsox - - was that the thinking behind Rhino's decision? It makes sense, I suppose... and had never occurred to me. At least there is also some symmetry concerning this: first three albums = jewel box... next four albums = digipack... following four albums = jewel box. It would be worse (and even more confusing, to me at least), if there was no pattern.

To those of you who helped me out with this, thank you very much. Less than 24 hours ago, I was lost in the woods. Now, not only do I definitively know which Rhino albums are jewel box and which are digipack, but, I now also know why.

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

If you want consistency in the packaging then this gets you all of the Rhinos in mini-LP sleeves with one purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Albums...s=Yes+complete
    You also get a remastered Big Generator that was only released in Japan originally.
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

New to the site

Thank you for the tip, Frumious B... and terrific insight, not just in terms of the consistency in packaging, but also the inclusion of "Big Generator."

SR Yesfan

Also from Canader. The only Yes I have in my current possession is Yes 35 and Yes Symphonic on DVD. I Also have Keys one and two on iPad as well as Fly From Here. Also have Tales and Relayer digitally but not the remasters from Stephen Wilson. All my original vinyl I sold off when CDs came to bear. I had all their discs on vinyl up to and including Drama. Would like to start to reacquire some of the Wilson remasters but if I do that I would prefer it be vinyl. I remember my sentiments during Drama. I liked it as music, better than Tormato but thought maybe their time was up. Thirty seven years later there are two functioning versions of the band playing this music. Time Warp!

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    If you want consistency in the packaging then this gets you all of the Rhinos in mini-LP sleeves with one purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Albums...s=Yes+complete
    You also get a remastered Big Generator that was only released in Japan originally.
    Yeah thanks. Def going to buy this. 1968-87 is accurate as career defining. So if I buy this is it better to Apple Lossless these CD tracks to iPad vs. using the MP3s? I assume the answer is Yes use the Apple Lossless.

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

Hello from Montreal / Rhino remasters circa 2003 and 2004

Quote Originally Posted by EtherReal View Post
    Yeah thanks. Def going to buy this. 1968-87 is accurate as career defining. So if I buy this is it better to Apple Lossless these CD tracks to iPad vs. using the MP3s? I assume the answer is Yes use the Apple Lossless.
    I rip everything I get to Apple Lossless as an archive that I copy to two external 2TB drives. That way I will NEVER have to rip my CDs again. For portable device listening I cook those lossless files down to AAC for iTunes and MP3 for uploading to Google Play. I take a slight hit in sound quality for the sake or portability. At some point in the near future I hope I will be able to use only my lossless files, but I would need either a 2TB+ phone or a whole bunch of cloud space for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I rip everything I get to Apple Lossless as an archive that I copy to two external 2TB drives. That way I will NEVER have to rip my CDs again. For portable device listening I cook those lossless files down to AAC for iTunes and MP3 for uploading to Google Play. I take a slight hit in sound quality for the sake or portability. At some point in the near future I hope I will be able to use only my lossless files, but I would need either a 2TB+ phone or a whole bunch of cloud space for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know what you mean. In the analog world you got up and grabbed the album and put it on. In digital if you want quality hard drives will fill up fast. Now you are a file manager. So you can create your own music server but you have to have the time to do it. I just boxed up my fill the room audio equipment and am now an earphones/head phones listener. Digital has personalized the experience. Not sure that is a force for good or bad. Also not sure I care when the quest is the best music and audio one can afford.

Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar

I loved the bonus tracks on the 2003/4 discs, but I didn't like the way the albums sounded, and it took me a while to figure out why. Whatever they did with the EQ in mastering just didn't sound warm enough to me.. so I went back to the older discs (mostly 80s and early 90s...although when MoFi did THE YES ALBUM, and Audio Fidelity did EDGE and GOING I went for those!)
    The Playground Of Sound - on DEEP NUGGETS RADIO - http://deepnuggets.com
    Now on TUESDAYS from 6PM to 9PM US Pacific Time

NEW BAND... name to be announced.... already working on new music.