Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: alan interview(new album in 2018 not a priority according to this)

Super Insane Yesfan

alan interview(new album in 2018 not a priority according to this)

Re: alan interview(new album in 2018 not a priority according to this)

He didn't say that. He said that they were working on new material individually, but they're not worried about a new album because they are playing a bunch of shows getting into their 50th anniversary.
    I am a Yes fan.

Super Insane Yesfan

"Well, we’re working on new material individually and we’ll put it all together eventually, but we’re not too worried about that yet because next year is the 50th anniversary and we’ll be touring quite a lot." sounds to me like touring is the priority next year then maybe album after

Quote Originally Posted by paul vaughan View Post
    "Well, we’re working on new material individually and we’ll put it all together eventually, but we’re not too worried about that yet because next year is the 50th anniversary and we’ll be touring quite a lot." sounds to me like touring is the priority next year then maybe album after

Clearly you're reading between the lines. It's still not what he said. I can't tell you how many times people in bands have said this and then six months later there's a new album. I would rather read Alan's words and make up my own mind.
    I am a Yes fan.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

I'd say that a new album is clearly not a priority for Yes (nor ARW). They talk at length about touring and everything that comes with it, but really only about new music when specifically asked, and in the vaguest terms they can find.
    That doesn't mean that new music won't happen next year.
    But a priority? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    I'd say that a new album is clearly not a priority for Yes (nor ARW). They talk at length about touring and everything that comes with it, but really only about new music when specifically asked, and in the vaguest terms they can find.
    But a priority? No.
    Of course it's not a priority, there's no money in it. Touring is the (financial) life blood of any band.

SR Super Yesfan

Not pleased.

Screw touring and expensive boxed sets.

Where's the new music?

Same to ARW.

I don't know what the point is of doing this thing if it's not about new music.

Billy Sherwood used to feel the same way (See quote in my sig file below).
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    But a priority? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Of course it's not a priority, there's no money in it. Touring is the (financial) life blood of any band.
    A pretty realistic view on matters from where I sit.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

SR Super Yesfan

We have 2 separate bands named Yes and it isn't enough to net us new studio albums on a regular basis, not even if we were to count all the albums released as though they were coming from one group.

What many Yeses do we need to get some new songs on a regular basis? 3? 4? 10?

I get "the realities of the industry", but I also get the reality of how I feel as a fan. My reality takes priority for me.

And it's not as though releasing new albums on a regular basis isn't possible. Decisions are made and priorities are set out.

With prolific writers like Billy Sherwood in the group, a guy who owns his own studio, they could be doing one new album a year if they wanted to. Not that that's really reasonable to expect, but one every 2-3 years? That doesn't seem so ridiculous.

Both of these bands are out there claiming to be the one true Yes. Well, the one true Yes who's songs they both play placed a priority on making new music. Otherwise things start to drift into tribute band territory- for both of them.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 08:29 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Sounds like they are pretty busy. Take the holidays off, rehearse Relayer and their 50th celebration early next year (for 3 days ), then Europe in the spring. Plus other releases besides new music to come.

But sounds like there are ideas floating around for Yes from the different members. I'm fine with them taking their time to write something worth recording and using the right top shelf producer. But the clock is ticking. . .

Seems like making an album anymore is complicated with many hands in the mix. Perhaps he just doesn't want to announce something so then there's undue pressure to artificially meet a date????
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

I think they call it *making a living*, which for most of us means having a job to make money to pay the bills to keep the wolves away. These guys are no different, they just have a different job. That's the point of "doing this thing". New music that very few people will actually purchase is incidental in 2017.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by paul vaughan View Post

Touring brings in money and pays the bills, a new album won't bring in very much.

SR Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Sounds like they are pretty busy. Take the holidays off, rehearse Relayer and their 50th celebration early next year (for 3 days ), then Europe in the spring. Plus other releases besides new music to come.
    If it came right down to it, I'd much rather they release a new album in 2018 and only do one song from Relayer than do the complete Relayer and not release a new album. And that's not just because I personally consider Relayer in the bottom quarter of Yes albums in terms of my personal enjoyment level. I recognize that Relayer required a lot of technical mastery and that some people loved it, and it's not like I mind them doing it to please it's fans. However, I wouldn't even want them to delay a new album for 90125 and Big Generator (Which are both in my top quarter of Yes albums and never get played) in their entirety, though.

If putting out a new studio album of songs we can enjoy for the rest of our lives (Barring hearing loss and such) means they can't perform a rarely played album we already have as a studio album on tour, even if it's my favorite or someone else's favorite, until the next year, I'll take the new studio album every time.

I'll also certainly take the studio album over them remastering albums I already have or another Progeny release or wrapping something like that together with a few demos- if that's the choice.

I don't even think that *is* the choice, though. Heaven and Earth was finished in the spring of 2014. Now it seems like the release for the followup is implied to possibly be slipping into 2019 or beyond. Some advance planning in previous years would have avoided any tough decisions like those described above this year. A new album could easily be finished and released by now had it been made more of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTheDesert View Post
    Seems like making an album anymore is complicated with many hands in the mix.
    Well, yes and no. They had just as many members in the 70s and at one point released 3 albums in 18 months- and all of them really good high quality albums, too. Towards the end of the decade, the band members were more spread out and they released less frequently, but still more frequently than today.

And, today, they have a lot of advantages that they didn't have back then that make recording easier- lower cost recording equipment, for example. It's getting so inexpensive that Chicago recorded most of their last album on tour in a recording truck that followed them around. Billy Sherwood owns his own studio, which I don't think any of them did in 1972, and others probably have access to at least limited home studios. I mean, a lot of smaller bands do recording on stuff a middle class person could purchase as a hobby- MacBook Pros and the like (Geoff has at least three of them ). The Internet is huge for exchanges of ideas and even music- that's basically how Jon Anderson does his stuff now.

Jon Davison, probably the lowest career earner, spent a ton of time for Heaven and Earth flying back and forth, presumably at his own expense, around the globe to write and record with other members of the band.

These days, there are a ton of people who'd be happy to write songs for them, or serve as session musician, for a minimal cost just to be associated with Yes, or to send in a part on a song just to get a quick payday. Look at all the famous people Billy got to contribute to his Prog Collective and Citizen albums mostly via the Internet.

Where things get complicated is only where hypothetically one or more members don't want to record or allow others to work around them to record. I think Sherwood would probably be have had two new Yes albums out by now if it were up to him. :) He makes a ton of music, and I know he'd love for more of it to be Yes music. I think that's what he feels Chris Squire asked him to do, and what he likes to do in any event. But it seems to be being blocked and put off by others.

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    I think they call it *making a living*, which for most of us means having a job to make money to pay the bills to keep the wolves away. These guys are no different, they just have a different job. That's the point of "doing this thing". New music that very few people will actually purchase is incidental in 2017.
    I understand your point, but are any of these guys going to be on the streets because they took a little time to record a new album? Similarly, do I as a fan pay money to watch people do construction work or answer phones at a reception desk? When former and current Yes members have taken direct and implicit digs at each other over the years, often the gist of them is that so-and-so doesn't see Yes as an artistic or spiritual endeavor or whatever, and is chiefly concerned about money, or doing the minimum possible. They seem to in some of their public comments view a myopic focus on cash over art as a bad thing, but now it seems both of the Yes factions are focus on touring exclusively or almost exclusively (With people justifying it by saying it's where the money is), and the re-release of old records (Ditto), and few seem to pay more than lip service to Yes as an on-going artistic endeavor. The work of creating new music is vital to what Yes is. If it's just about collecting a pay day, that's fine in life terms, more power to them, but that's where phrases like "cover band" and "tribute band" and "Not the real Yes like it was in the old days" get thrown around and start to seem to have more validity than they might have otherwise.

Honestly, the first Yes concert I paid to attend was in 2015 (I rarely go to any concerts for any bands or performers), and it was in part to support them continuing forward with Billy Sherwood and hopefully staying together and eventually doing a new album. I went again in 2016. I didn't go this year. In part, that's because my finances are worse and ticket prices rose, but it's also because I'm seeing them less and less as a continuing band that produces new art that I'll enjoy for a lifetime, and more as just a group that performs some of my favorite songs from the 70s live at exorbitant prices. Maybe most people don't think like that and don't care, but I don't let groups vote on how I'm supposed to feel. Call me a non-conformist if you must.

I don't know if a transfer over to being a nostalgia band that doesn't make new music would hurt them financially or not. I do think there'd be less people here hanging out talking about them, and I do think places like this generate them some positive attention and keep people aware that they are around to spend money on, but I'll admit I don't really know. Maybe they could make just as much money not doing new material. And, as a life decision, I guess that's fine. It's their choice. But I don't like it, and I think it's sad, and those are the things I have the right to feel, just as they have the right to do or not do.

I'm close to the point where I wish there were some way, that if Steve and Geoff and Alan are the ones putting the breaks on this, or some combination thereof, that Juano and Billy and whomever could get together their own studio Yes band with control of the name and just start putting out albums. I know that's not legally how things work. But it's a bit sad that I know there are people who'd love to continue the Yes legacy musically and are likely being held back by people who may just want to play the old tunes and cash paychecks.

I'm starting to sound a little harsh, and I'm not sure I really mean all that that way, but I have to say I'm pretty close to the point where I'll probably stop frequenting forums and following the band(s) and considering buying concert tickets, and will just buy any new albums if and when I notice that they've turned up. And if I don't notice because the band has put it off too long and I've stopped following them avidly, well, I guess I'll just keep listening to my old Yes songs at no additional cost to me. :)

This may be the way things are going, but I don't have to like it.

Also, if indeed these bands are converting to touring only entities, it'd be nice if they had the guts to say it and let the chips fall where they may instead of leading people on, if indeed that's what's going on. ARW has been talking about a new album since 2010. Some members of Yes Official began talking about a new album for years They talk about new albums, but sometimes it seems pro forma, like the talk keeps people engaged so that they will keep hyping the band and buying tickets and merch and boxed sets- but that the albums themselves may or may not happen, and the timescale is subject to being pushed back constantly for no particular reason.

I am not saying I wouldn't buy the new Yes album when it finally comes, but I think they could fall back to being one of a lot of my favorite bands where I don't know who's in their current lineup, I never give any consideration to seeing them live, and I find out about any new albums when and if I sort of stumble across them on Wikipedia or Amazon or something. That is pretty much the way I am with almost every band not named "Yes"- and I do like some of them quite a bit. That's not quite where I'm at with this, but it's close.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 10:05 PM.

SR Super Yesfan

Also, anyone notice that before there was talk of a studio album being held off in 2016 and 2017 because it would be a feature of the 50th anniversary, and now it's like the 50th anniversary is too busy to put out a studio album during? Are we not supposed to notice that the excuses conflict? That applies to both groups.

SR Super Yesfan

Anyway, don't mean to sound like I'm mad. Everyone has the right to do what they want to do.

It's just that maybe what the future Yes, either Yes, really has in mind for itself doesn't match with my interests that much.

I'd love to see a continuing Yes putting out new studio albums every 2-3 years, maybe a live album staggered between each new album with the current band preferring some old classics and some long unheard vault material. That matches my interests a lot.

I'm not as interested in touring acts that mainly tour old material and put out big expensive box sets of stuff I already own, and don't really do anything new musically. If that's all Yes is, that doesn't really match my interests anymore.

Maybe there's a happy medium, which I've been sort of hoping they'd find. But if they really just the latter rather than the former, it's probably close to time for me to just enjoy my old Yes music and whatever they might get around to new that I might stumble across, like I do with a lot of bands, and forget about attending concerts or being engaged with Yes news and talk on a day to day basis and view it more as a beautiful thing that's mostly over.

These may not be the Yeses I'm looking for, to coin a phrase from a movie popular during the time period they play most of their set lists from.

I wish they were, but I also wish there was still a Genesis running around making new albums, so... :) It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post

But sounds like there are ideas floating around for Yes from the different members. I'm fine with them taking their time to write something worth recording and using the right top shelf producer. But the clock is ticking. . .
    And as we have discussed, the X factor here is that another Yes is creating new music that will most likely see the light of day next year. That's not a small detail. If ARW produce something memorable there will be a buzz about it and it will affect the flow of the 50th for YesO. It's fascinating watching this play out.

FWIW, given the choice of a tour or a new album, I take the latter every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Not pleased.

Screw touring and expensive boxed sets.

Where's the new music?

Same to ARW.

Billy Sherwood used to feel the same way (See quote in my sig file below).
    I played in cover bands for years and years, never wrote or released a single piece of new music all my life. Yet I was a very happy musician, totally enjoying what I did. I can imagine that for artists like our Yes men it might very well be that when they were younger that creating new music was the artistic life blood (borrowing the phrase from Enlighten) of the band and its musicians. But I can also imagine that once you've created such masterpieces as YIND, AYAI, HotSR, Roundabout, Awaken, Ritual etc. etc. there comes a time one is perfectly happy to be playing those songs and that, besides the financial life blood, that become the artistic life blood as well.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

SR Super Yesfan

Yes Where Are They Now:

"Before Squire's passing, there had already been some work towards a next album. Squire, Davison and possibly White met in Squire's studio in Mar 2015 to go through ideas."

Now the talk seems to be not before 2019? What happened?

Really, the major developments seem to be Billy Sherwood taking over for Squire with marching orders to carry on with new music, and Steve Howe seeming to move into the power position as leader of the band. Sherwood lives for writing new music. I've got to think its Howe putting on the breaks.

It leaves some of the others in a tough position. There are power moves they could make like saying they aren't interested in being in Yes anymore if it isn't an active creative band, knowing that with ARW out there, Steve having to go out and, say, replace both his lead singer and bass player *again* (Probably with a White retirement at some point soon for health reasons also in the mix), especially if its openly because he wouldn't record, might lose him that credibility war. But I can understand why people would be reluctant to do that to their friend and potentially leave the band that they love.

I think all Steve would have to say is "You all get together and come up with an album and kind of scope out a few spots for me to do some bridges and intros and outros here and there, maybe an instrumental track or two" and they could get an album all ready for him ready for him to pop in the studio for a week towards the end to elaborate on the work already present and commision a Roger Dean cover. Its not a matter of him either having to do the heavy lifting or it not getting done. Billy writes like 3 albums a year by himself, Juano was a big mover behind the last Yes album in terms of doing what it took to get it done logistically. Those two alone could sit in a studio for a month or two and produce something good. If Geoff is willing to write and provide textures, and Alan and Dylan or Jay chip in, even better! I mean, I'm not saying it wouldn't be better with Steve doing more than the minimum, I'm just saying he has the implicit option of only contributing minimally but letting it happen if he's not into the concept. Union and Open Your Eyes were mostly done without Steve while Steve was in the band- there's precedent.

Maybe they think they can wait out Steve and maybe get an album out with him eventually and then start rolling on more frequent new albums after he retires, but as far as we know, they have no guarantee of getting right to the Yes name when Steve and Alan are gone, and its not hard to imagine that Billy would be near 60 and Jon near 50 at that point, a lot of years to wait and see, you know? If it were a matter of Steve saying "I think this is my last couple years with the band, and he's paperwork so you guys can buy out what you need in terms of the name and the various corporations to continue, and then you make the calls, it'll be your band, I just want to do the 50th or whatever and maybe one more year without worrying about an album.", I think that'd work, too. It just seems less and less likely.

I am reluctantly starting to think the idea of Yes carrying on after Steve Howe is unlikely. If he's concerned that an album they'd put out now with him wouldn't be worthy of the name, would he really pass on the rights when he's done for them to record as many albums as they want without him?

Its kind of depressing to think that the last three years are just the band winding down, that there may be no creative output to come, and then the band is retired and that's it, but I think its a real possibility.

To be honest, in that type of environment, something like ARW taking the names Yes Featuring ARW becomes a lot more defensible, because if Yes Official is done recording, then we're really just talkinf about how to market two tribute acts plus some classic members all soinning the oldies. ARW taking the Yes name being an affront to the hard work Yes Official is outting in relies on Yes Official being the continuation of the band Yes and doing creative work, at least to me. You don't say you're the real Yes when there's already s real Yes putting out albums that has continuity. But if its suddenly just about guys doing Wayne Newton type shows and that's it, what's the big deal at that point? If Yes is done with new music, then the real Yes is over and everyone who wants to tour the music almost has as much claim as anyone else.

Honestly, if Heaven and Earth is the last album, none of what happened next will really matter. It'd be a single line in a book about the band: "Sadly, after Chris Squire's passing, the remnant of the band tried to carry on to mixed reviews, but never recorded another album. Without the Fish, who had appeared on all 20 previous albums, the band lacked the impetus to push on. They did live shows for a few years after that, for a while existing side by side with a Jon Anderson front spinoff that also had some rights to the Yes name, and did a somewhat awkward reunion with ex-members at their Hall of Fame induction, but older hands like Steve Howe were content with the band's existing catelog, and people like Billy Sherwood didn't have the ownership rights or political clout to get the band into a more active creative mode, despite Squire's wishes, leading to the final conclusion of the Yes story shortly after its 50th anniversary. It really ended in 2014, but I suppose for the sake of technical accuracy, I guess it sort of sputtered on into 2018.

And you what the real shame of this is? The live band is *good*. They could make good new Yes music. They are firing on all cylinders. Its a shame that making new music is no longer really a thing in the music business.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast