Google

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Being offended

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Re: Being offended

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Those people often forget that for something to be funny it takes more than just them by themselves who think so......
    Some people also use it as an excuse to abdicate responsibility for what they say. If they say/post something they know will be provocative, and then receive angry responses, they think they can say they were joking and it's all okay.
    In small groups to mighty empires we assemble our own company...

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Minister On The Cheap Discount Ministry's Avatar

The purpose of humor/comedy is not just to make you laugh, it's to make you think. You have to assess that when judging between the prurient and the thought-provoking. Group thinking is one judge, the moderators are the ultimate judges.

If you are truly bothered, send a PM to one and discuss it. That's their job.

Have you ever wondered sometimes if the human waste is a race of time?

Super Mega Yesfan Eddie Yesongs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    Conversely, calling the guy who says thise things a fat ---- is equally egregious.
    No, because I wouldn't dream of going there unless something egregious was said, and it was

You read a paragraph about Steve and Patrick's looks and then check the dudes profile pic

Wow, just wow

Mum did teach me that two wrongs don't make a right, so, yeah

Hey, I did say I was sorry I dropped it down to that level but it just hit me the wrong way

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Some people also use it as an excuse to abdicate responsibility for what they say. If they say something they know will be provocative, and then receive angry responses, they think they can say they were joking and it's all okay.
    Very perceptive and indeed true. In all honesty I've been guilty myself of this on a few ocasions in my life with the adjustment that I didn't always see the reaction from the other person coming and used the excuse in a sort of panic reaction.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    It's not that black and white, certainly not with teenage kids which is a vulnerable age with lots of insecurities already. Sure when you're told you are 'not worthy' once or twice, but when it's repeated to you by a group of people day after say, week after week, month after month......you can be sure that those words will leave a deep and profound impact on someone's mental state and self esteem.
    Agreed.. that is why it is so important yo instill that syrength into our kids that we will not be affected by those words so deeply..tbat we reject that poison gorv what it us, not real, not true, a lie looking to drag you under like heroine.. you must believe that heroine is a lie to reject it and we try to instill that into our kids or the people we love.. the same goes for this epidemic of bullying and shaming and defamation. And if soneine is being sucked in, it needs to be treated like the killer it is. The parents need to be there to counsel and get help for your kid whatever the threat before they are pulled down and hurt..
    However, since we can't control other people, we can't stop other people from making that first inflammatory post, or stop a kid from seeing it before it's dealt with, and considering socual media is exponentially growing, then it becomes imperative that we teach kids fom a very esrly age the sticks and stones rule. Believe it. Live it. Laugh at people who say mean things because they are not true and that person needs mental help. In a world where do much instant gratification and even sense if self or who you are is obtained online, unless you are going to take away computer phone and social media, we must prepare a kid the same way you would prepare them if you just moved to a neighborhood that sells drugs on every corner..you tell them to walk on by, it's poison and they are lying to suck you in. We not just tell them but instill , ingraine in them that they are stronger than those hurtful words and can easily brush them off and that will save the next generation.
    with love and wonder, denise

"We receive all we venture to give..."

I'm down for lots different points of view in a decent manner, hopefully with a sense of humor, and I like all the musicians who have ever been in Yes. That is what is fun about this community. But the condescending attitude is what really makes me off ended. Ones that think they are hot sh!t. So off ended. I learn something new everyday... But if one measure's where it is coming from, it usually explains it all... As Matt said, these days you need "thick skin", consider the source, and laugh it away... Life's too short to have others burn out your day. Celebrate what you love. Everyone is so sensitive, a good sense of humor is rare these days, but much needed... I'm heading over to Delete.

Last edited by somissound; 2 Days Ago at 06:27 PM.

Minister On The Cheap Discount Ministry's Avatar

Life is like a box of chocolates...

Until you find the one you don't care for.

Have you ever wondered sometimes if the human waste is a race of time?

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    Life is like a box of chocolates...

Until you find the one you don't care for.
    That's why you poke holes in each of them to find the good ones... and leave those fruit flavored cream ones for someone else.

still undefined

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5