Google
 


Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: Being offended

  1. #101
    That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,720
    Rep Power
    107374735

    Re: Being offended

    What do people keep blaming Faith for? She must be crestfallen.

    You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

  2. #102
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    11,736
    Rep Power
    107375022

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by witeskyn7 View Post
    I come here when I want to see what's going on with (one of) my fave bands.....

    Not to be criticized for my belief systems​ when it comes to Faith, social caste or the effects of poverty on the working masses.

    Or...for my ongoing acceptance of change within this Wonderful band of musicians known as Yes.

    There are and will always be those individuals whom must take it upon themselves to ridicule others just for having an opinion that differs.

    It's this kind of arrogance that enables the user of the ignore feature to have peace from these serial posters and trolls.

    This is by far, not the only forum I belong to, every forum has at least one or two.

    If I have ever hurt anyone, in any way by way of my posting prowess (or lack thereof),

    I Humbly Apologize for ever doing so. And I mean that.

    Truth be known... I once (stupidly) pm(ed) a current member that was totally trolling with extreme agenda..

    I asked this person
    'why do you hate?'
    I was told to
    "Look in a mirror..in the reflection you will see a hypocrite."


    I pondered this and immediately posted a thread to not just this member, but to everyone here,
    an apology.

    Thing is, I am not here to Hurt, Troll, Promote an Agenda or to bag on and on about 'current members of' or either band calling themselves Yes. I just get tired of reading the posts of those that do.

    I'm not a;

    Snowflake
    Strawman
    Troll
    Delicate Dewflower
    Wooly Head
    Offended Nellie
    (Insert insult).


    I'm just an occasional poster and avid reader of the best YES forum available.

    Sorry for the rant.
    This is also my only forum..and I'm her for the sane reasons
    Edit..it is supposed to read.."I'm here for the same reasons"..
    But that also works lol
    Last edited by soulsearcher; 08-22-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."

  3. #103
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    8,308
    Rep Power
    107374763

    Re: Being offended

    I saw a post today at a blog which brought me back to this topic which I think explains why people do get offended by the actions of others and it's not just about differing opinions:
    If someone steps on someone else’s foot and gets called on it, a genuinely decent person will apologize, because they feel bad that they caused harm, even if it wasn’t intentional. Someone who spends all their time making excuses or denying that they ever could have done such a thing because they’re not a foot-stepper doesn’t actually care about harm to others, only their own reputation.

    It's not always about intent, it's about acknowledging that someone else may have been harmed by your words. About acknowledging that someone has a human reaction to what you say and being empathetic enough, decent enough to be personally accountable for the good, or the bad, you create in the world. When someone attempts to turn it back on me rather than acknowledge my perspective when I respond says to me that they don't give a sh!te about me, or anyone else, at all. Like I said, at least then I know their true character.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

    http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/




  4. #104
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    44
    Posts
    24,831
    Rep Power
    107375703

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I saw a post today at a blog which brought me back to this topic which I think explains why people do get offended by the actions of others and it's not just about differing opinions:
    If someone steps on someone else’s foot and gets called on it, a genuinely decent person will apologize, because they feel bad that they caused harm, even if it wasn’t intentional. Someone who spends all their time making excuses or denying that they ever could have done such a thing because they’re not a foot-stepper doesn’t actually care about harm to others, only their own reputation.

    It's not always about intent, it's about acknowledging that someone else may have been harmed by your words. About acknowledging that someone has a human reaction to what you say and being empathetic enough, decent enough to be personally accountable for the good, or the bad, you create in the world. When someone attempts to turn it back on me rather than acknowledge my perspective when I respond says to me that they don't give a sh!te about me, or anyone else, at all. Like I said, at least then I know their true character.
    Excellent post and very true!!
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

  5. #105
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    11,736
    Rep Power
    107375022

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I saw a post today at a blog which brought me back to this topic which I think explains why people do get offended by the actions of others and it's not just about differing opinions:
    If someone steps on someone else’s foot and gets called on it, a genuinely decent person will apologize, because they feel bad that they caused harm, even if it wasn’t intentional. Someone who spends all their time making excuses or denying that they ever could have done such a thing because they’re not a foot-stepper doesn’t actually care about harm to others, only their own reputation.

    It's not always about intent, it's about acknowledging that someone else may have been harmed by your words. About acknowledging that someone has a human reaction to what you say and being empathetic enough, decent enough to be personally accountable for the good, or the bad, you create in the world. When someone attempts to turn it back on me rather than acknowledge my perspective when I respond says to me that they don't give a sh!te about me, or anyone else, at all. Like I said, at least then I know their true character.
    I also have to agree..i say things that offend like anyone else, but i usually realise it pretty quick either through conscience or someone who is a real friend calling it to my attention.. and I take steps to remedy the situation any way I can.
    You are right, there is a huge difference between offending and caring about the other person and just getting defensive over it . Self acknowledgement takes maturity...and were going to need a lot of that right now in this day and age where everything offends someone.
    Last edited by soulsearcher; 08-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."

  6. #106
    Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    where the pavement turns to sand
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,886
    Rep Power
    107375186

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    I also have to agree..i say things that offend like anyone else, but i usually realise it pretty quick either though conscience or someone who is a real friend calling it to my attention.. and I take steps to remedy the situation any way I can.
    You are right, there is a huge difference between offending and caring about the other person and just getting defensive over it . Self acknowledgement takes maturity...and were gif to need a lot of that right now in this day and age where everything offends someone.
    Agreed.
    The Playground Of Sound - on DEEP NUGGETS RADIO - http://deepnuggets.com
    Now on TUESDAYS from 6PM to 9PM US Pacific Time

    NEW BAND... name to be announced.... already working on new music.

  7. #107
    Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    where the pavement turns to sand
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,886
    Rep Power
    107375186

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I saw a post today at a blog which brought me back to this topic which I think explains why people do get offended by the actions of others and it's not just about differing opinions:
    If someone steps on someone else’s foot and gets called on it, a genuinely decent person will apologize, because they feel bad that they caused harm, even if it wasn’t intentional. Someone who spends all their time making excuses or denying that they ever could have done such a thing because they’re not a foot-stepper doesn’t actually care about harm to others, only their own reputation.

    It's not always about intent, it's about acknowledging that someone else may have been harmed by your words. About acknowledging that someone has a human reaction to what you say and being empathetic enough, decent enough to be personally accountable for the good, or the bad, you create in the world. When someone attempts to turn it back on me rather than acknowledge my perspective when I respond says to me that they don't give a sh!te about me, or anyone else, at all. Like I said, at least then I know their true character.

    Yep. Bravo.
    The Playground Of Sound - on DEEP NUGGETS RADIO - http://deepnuggets.com
    Now on TUESDAYS from 6PM to 9PM US Pacific Time

    NEW BAND... name to be announced.... already working on new music.

  8. #108
    Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somewhere high-fiving bonobos
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,383
    Rep Power
    107374364

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I saw a post today at a blog which brought me back to this topic which I think explains why people do get offended by the actions of others and it's not just about differing opinions:
    If someone steps on someone else’s foot and gets called on it, a genuinely decent person will apologize, because they feel bad that they caused harm, even if it wasn’t intentional. Someone who spends all their time making excuses or denying that they ever could have done such a thing because they’re not a foot-stepper doesn’t actually care about harm to others, only their own reputation.

    It's not always about intent, it's about acknowledging that someone else may have been harmed by your words. About acknowledging that someone has a human reaction to what you say and being empathetic enough, decent enough to be personally accountable for the good, or the bad, you create in the world. When someone attempts to turn it back on me rather than acknowledge my perspective when I respond says to me that they don't give a sh!te about me, or anyone else, at all. Like I said, at least then I know their true character.
    Once again, you're awesome. :-)
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. – Mark Twain

  9. #109
    That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,720
    Rep Power
    107374735

    Re: Being offended

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundchaser_413 View Post
    I guess I don't come on here often enough to know which user has that offensive sig line. Oh well. I'll keep an eye out on it now.
    Somebody was making a joke about a video as a sig and you've probably guessed and dismissed that, as I have.

    You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!





Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •