Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ALAN WHITE "We were the only two that kept the thing going, really.”

ALAN WHITE "We were the only two that kept the thing going, really.”

Not often Alan speaks his mind on the authenticity of Yes.

“I’ve been in this band called Yes for 45 years. I’ve been in Yes the whole time along with Chris (Squire). We were the only two that kept the thing going, really.”

--Alan White

https://music.allaccess.com/yes-alan-white-yestival/

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Re: ALAN WHITE "We were the only two that kept the thing going, really.”

But I must admit most of the songs I’m seeing on the setlist we’ve done numerous times. It’ll be a little bit like riding a bicycle.
    My White Bicycle?
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Seems like the interview took place some time ago.

Yeah, it’s been a great journey, really. Obviously, it has its wear and tear a bit after being around for 45 years, and playing drums for 50-something years. But at the same time, I feel okay. I had a problem with my back last year and I had some surgery and it’s slowly going away, but I think by this summer it’ll be fine.

Of course what he's saying is literally true in some sense but maybe it's not entirely the point either. "Keeping something going" isn't always a recipe for maintaining a high level of creativity with stellar musical output. There's a time for everything. Yes had ten plus years of incredible creative achievement. Then they decided to "keep things going". That's their choice of course, they built a brand but once it became a brand, I think the creativity suffered. Just my opinion but no one can convince me that the height of their creativity was forged between 1983 and 2017. They reached their apex between 1970 and 1980, then they kept it going.
    Last edited by Enlighten; 08-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Of course what he's saying is literally true in some sense but maybe it's not entirely the point either. "Keeping something going" isn't always a recipe for maintaining a high level of creativity and stellar music. There's a time for everything. Yes had ten plus years of incredible creative output. Then they decided to "keep things going". That's their choice of course, they built a brand but once it became a brand, I think the creativity suffered. Just my opinion but no one can convince me that the height of their creativity was forged between 1984 and 2017. They reached their apex between 1970 and 1980, then they kept it going.
    Good post. I agree but I would include 90125 (a great album, imv) in that window. There have been some good moments post-90125, but in general, I agree. The quality has been hit and miss for decades now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Seems like the interview took place some time ago.

Yeah, it’s been a great journey, really. Obviously, it has its wear and tear a bit after being around for 45 years, and playing drums for 50-something years. But at the same time, I feel okay. I had a problem with my back last year and I had some surgery and it’s slowly going away, but I think by this summer it’ll be fine.
    Yes formed in 1968 and he joined and replaced Bill in 1972, so 45 years would be the correct amount of time.

How dare your slam Yes? You hate them. You don't belong on this site
    Thanks for the smiley. It's really a testament to how much I love the music of their Main Sequence, that's really it for me. Some people take it as slamming the band but Yes are the one's who broke down the barriers of musical stagnancy, that's what I loved. But they got stagnant, I didn't love that and I have no problem saying it.
    Last edited by Enlighten; 08-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Of course what he's saying is literally true in some sense but maybe it's not entirely the point either. "Keeping something going" isn't always a recipe for maintaining a high level of creativity and stellar music. There's a time for everything. Yes had ten plus years of incredible creative output. Then they decided to "keep things going". That's their choice of course, they built a brand but once it became a brand, I think the creativity suffered. Just my opinion but no one can convince me that the height of their creativity was forged between 1984 and 2017. They reached their apex between 1970 and 1980, then they kept it going.
    And then stopped again in 1987 as YesWest
    Then Anderson continued with ABWH in 1989
    Then Yes continued in 1991 with the combo Union
    Then continued as the 90125 lineup again in 1994
    Then continued as the classic Yes lineup in 1996
    Then... etc

... and here we are in 2017. Quite incredible really.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Ego Selected View Post
    Yes formed in 1968 and he joined and replaced Bill in 1972, so 45 years would be the correct amount of time.
    Huh? I was referencing his comment about his back which I had bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by RickH View Post
    Good post. I agree but I would include 90125 (a great album, imv) in that window. There have been some good moments post-90125, but in general, I agree. The quality has been hit and miss for decades now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I'm reticent to include 90125, even though I know it is a good album. To me it signifies caving to suits and all the bs that followed in trying to chase hit singles. I've heard all the arguments about how they had to shift with the times in order to survive, I get that. But to me, the depth was missing, the nuance, the brilliant creativity that went into the amazing soundscapes that they produced. Yes was always about seeking new horizons, the eighties ethos up to the present time might call that perspective naive. I see it quite differently, true inspiration opens one's consciousness and opens one's perspective on life, you can't put a price tag on that.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

how dare your slam yes? You hate them. You don't belong on this site
    wow! Such big letters.

still undefined

Mega Yesfan

The most important factor to me is whether I enjoy the combination of specific musicians in a band format. I won't like a lineup of Yes just because the name Yes is attached to it. That's why arguments about Yes continuing since 1492 don't carry any weight with me. Similarly, ARW changing their name to Yes doesn't make me like the band or the music any more or less. I either like a lineup or I don't based on the actual people in the band at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    wow! Such big letters.
    Bigly ?
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    [FONT="]Bigly ?
    [/FONT]
    Huuuuge

In a literal sense I think Alan is probably right and they seemed to have put in the most effort to keep Yes going. However they were also the two with the least prolific solo/side project output (not too many drummers or bassists actually have a great solo career going), where members like Anderson abd Wakeman for instance had much more of a career on their own going, so perhaps it was also more of a necessity for Alan and Chris.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Super Mega Yesfan

I love Alan and can't wait to see him perform this summer! What a great guy and cool dude. My favorite drummer by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    In a literal sense I think Alan is probably right and they seemed to have put in the most effort to keep Yes going. However they were also the two with the least prolific solo/side project output (not too many drummers or bassists actually have a great solo career going), where members like Anderson abd Wakeman for instance had much more of a career on their own going, so perhaps it was also more of a necessity for Alan and Chris.
    Yes. And it would also be inaccurate to pretend that they other guys in the band weren't working to push things forward at various times as well.
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    Yes. And it would also be inaccurate to pretend that they other guys in the band weren't working to push things forward at various times as well.
    Yup, although I do think it's accurate that Chris and Alan have always been more willing to compromise in order to keep things going, were various other members only wanted to push forward if they got their way.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Yup, although I do think it's accurate that Chris and Alan have always been more willing to compromise in order to keep things going, were various other members only wanted to push forward if they got their way.
    It's fair to say that they worked to keep the franchise going at the three moments when things were really in disarray(post Tormato, Post BG, post 2008), although they weren't the only ones working towards that goal. Even Squire had his moments that he was more disengaged and wasn't pushing the band forward. That's a normal thing in any endeavour that's been running for so long. People get tired and life gets in the way. And certainly, at many other times, other guys in the band were catalysts to keep it going. And that only makes sense as well, given how many changes there have been in the band over the years. I'm less inclined to almost canonize the pair as some folks do on the continuity thing, because I honestly believe that had it not been Squire/White at those times, it would have been someone else. I have little doubt that Yes would have continued one way or another. Imagining the "what could have beens" is even kind of interesting.
    Last edited by rePete; 08-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by JMKUSA View Post
    I love Alan and can't wait to see him perform this summer! What a great guy and cool dude. My favorite drummer by far.
    This^

Like the great Moraz, he replaced an iconic member, yet excelled, in his case for quite an extended period

Not to mention he's never done anything to tarnish the band in public comments

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast