Google

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1061

Thread: AWR Setlist Ideas ?

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Re: AWR Setlist Ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yessiree View Post
    A killer time-spanning medley could be really awesome. Who has seen this 45-minute Yes medley from Circa? Love how it spans all lineups & years.
    I'm pretty sure there's very few Yesfans who haven't seen it---at least on here. I wish they'd credit the second keyboardist playing in the dark behind Sherwood though, because if you listen closely he's doing his share of the heavy lifting too. Unless his last name is Epic, in which case never mind lol
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Unless his last name is Epic
    approve

I happen to feel the same way about Relayer and YesOfficial®.
    I am shocked

There is one big difference regarding playing the Relayer album or songs from it: Yes like the album, want to play it, and 2/5 (possibly 3/5) of the guys that recorded it. With ARW, you have 1/5 people who recorded it, and 1 of the members doesn't like it.

Either band is not going to play it like it is 1975, but I wouldn't mind hearing any of the members from the album do their interpretation of it today. And it wouldn't bother me that much if the tempos were different or they played it in a modern and slightly different fashion. 3 of my favorite Yes songs that I would love see performed. But I do understand how JA and/or CS purists might not want to hear Yes play it.

I'm pretty sure there's very few Yesfans who haven't seen it---at least on here. I wish they'd credit the second keyboardist playing in the dark behind Sherwood though, because if you listen closely he's doing his share of the heavy lifting too. Unless his last name is Epic, in which case never mind lol
    Scott Walton came out at the end and took a bow with the band. I could see him fine for a member of the band that was not "featured"... When I saw them rehearse it, Scott played very little and just added some color here and there. Tony did the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yessiree View Post
    A killer time-spanning medley could be really awesome. Who has seen this 45-minute Yes medley from Circa? Love how it spans all lineups & years.
    I always loved this vid.
    -Pete

Mega Yesfan

more of BG nad Talk, that would be interesting but it won't happen

anyway, they would need a vocal backing group

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    I always loved this vid.
    same here

Yesfan

Some of you know how I feel about YesO, so I will skip those comments.
    The feeling that Waksman expressed on TFTO is that it drags because they "padded" the music that they had to make it a double. Not unlike Floyd with Animals. The other issue I would guess is that the songs are way to long and thus eat up a significant portion of the concerts. Doing the whole album would be excessive to me. In many ways. I think YesO does full albums and obscure things to keep things interesting and because they do tour a fair bit. But ARW could arrange 1-2 of the songs from TFTO and play them. Does the revealing science really need to be 20 minutes long? Make it ~12 and alternate it with awaken now and then. Gates of delirium could be toned down as well. In terms of who's there and who isn't, the only way it would work is if everyone involved with every song was there and at the top of their game (or proficient enough). That tour was called Union and unfortunately time stops for no one. If only I hadn't been 6 or however old I was lol

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
    Not unlike Floyd with Animals.
    You mean by adding "Pigs on the Wing" at the front and back? Granted, that was an inclusion which wasn't conceptually-driven but I don't see it as padding, necessarily. There are three very strong songs on that record so even if POTW were a full song with Snowy's solo left in, it would still be a fair addition, IMO.
    In small groups to mighty empires we assemble our own company...

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    You mean by adding "Pigs on the Wing" at the front and back? Granted, that was an inclusion which wasn't conceptually-driven but I don't see it as padding, necessarily. There are three very strong songs on that record so even if POTW were a full song with Snowy's solo left in, it would still be a fair addition, IMO.
    No, that's not what I mean. Even though I find it a weak song and even weaker that it has been rehashed by Roger 2-3 times.
    They have explicitly mentioned that they made all 3 songs 20 minutes long on purpose, primarily because of the punk movement claiming Floyd was dragging and boring. The context is the same in that a "prog" band says we're prog and prog songs last for ever! The source material didn't artistically call for such long songs necessarily, as openly stated by Wakeman. In the Floyd's case, they had demos that they'd been working out live for the 3 songs and then expanded them with surgical precision to fill the time targets. On the quality of them, I'm a gigantic Floyd fan and I don't care for all of animals. I like parts of dogs. The other stuff is weak, dragging and angry to me. Some crazy arrangements and they pulled all the stops but the substance isn't there. I'm sure opinions differ and that's ok, but generally the album wasn't as well received as the 2 before and after (not that this is a direct measure of quality either).

Anyhow, I do wish for rearranged songs from ARW, if song duration is an issue. Plus they keep saying how they want to reimagine Yes music and lately that they are Yes.

Super Mega Yesfan Eddie Yesongs's Avatar

No, that's not what I mean. Even though I find it a weak song and even weaker that it has been rehashed by Roger 2-3 times.
    They have explicitly mentioned that they made all 3 songs 20 minutes long on purpose, primarily because of the punk movement claiming Floyd was dragging and boring.
    My copy of Animals doesn't have a single song 20m long, never mind 3

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Super Mega Yesfan Eddie Yesongs's Avatar

I'm all for fun speculation, but the idea that Rabin and Wakeman somehow would reinvent Topographic may be the funniest suggestion I've read this year

C'mon man

E
    Last edited by Eddie Yesongs; 3 Days Ago at 08:09 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

They have explicitly mentioned that they made all 3 songs 20 minutes long on purpose, primarily because of the punk movement claiming Floyd was dragging and boring. The context is the same in that a "prog" band says we're prog and prog songs last for ever! The source material didn't artistically call for such long songs necessarily, as openly stated by Wakeman. In the Floyd's case, they had demos that they'd been working out live for the 3 songs and then expanded them with surgical precision to fill the time targets. On the quality of them, I'm a gigantic Floyd fan and I don't care for all of animals. I like parts of dogs. The other stuff is weak, dragging and angry to me. Some crazy arrangements and they pulled all the stops but the substance isn't there.
    -1- All three songs are not 20 minutes long each. Only "Dogs" is near that and "You've Got To Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling" were each around the same running time in their original versions.
    -2- Originally, DG wanted "You've Got To Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling" to be worked up for WYWH, and Roger was against that idea. So I wouldn't say that creating so-called prog monolithic pieces was a particular agenda for Animals, it was more the idea of those particular songs which had been in existence for several years were finally developed because - given the band's fracturing interpersonal dynamic - it was just easier. And I have never read any comment from the band to that effect, either. They acknowledge the attitude was there but it wasn't like they give a sh!te about it; they didn't particularly care what anyone thought about them in a cultural context.
    -3- If anything, Animals is considered to be "Punk Floyd" because of the discontent it expresses within the boundaries of the concept and its' emphasis on social commentary.
    Last edited by luna65; 3 Days Ago at 02:10 PM.

Yesfan

Crickey. No opinions get by without you having the final word eh?
    i don't recall where i read it. Maybe inside out. Whether they padded it or not (like Yes did), they chose to have an album with 3 long songs (read: not radio friendly, which was important at the time), not unlike tales from topographic. And both albums triggered a change in the band. Mason has said he thinks they would remix it because of their studio limitations at the time. All I'm saying is if Wakeman thinks TFTO is padded, they could arrange it. It's an opinion I didn't fact-check so take it for what it is.
    http://www.mtosmt.org/issues/mto.15....1.2.cohen.html
    Last edited by raisemyrent; 3 Days Ago at 10:08 PM. Reason: forgot link

They have explicitly mentioned that they made all 3 songs 20 minutes long on purpose, primarily because of the punk movement claiming Floyd was dragging and boring. The context is the same in that a "prog" band says we're prog and prog In the Floyd's case, they had demos that they'd been working out live for the 3 songs and then expanded them with surgical precision to fill the time targets.
    The above is not an opinion, though. That's what I was responding to. Your opinion that you don't care for Animals - you can express that all the days of your life, absolutely. I don't have any word, final or otherwise, to say about it.

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

Love Animals and love Tales exactly as they are and wouldn't change a thing about either.
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

In a way I hope YesFeat DOESN'T change up their set for the next leg of touring. They aren't coming near me so I'd just end up vaguely jealous, the way I am of all the folks who got to hear "Changes" which wasn't part of the show I saw.

SR Mega Yesfan

^ How much does the forthcoming ARW tour leg overlap with last year's touring? If they're mostly hitting different places, there's less reason to change the set list. If they're mostly returning to regions they've played before, there's more reason to play different things.

(So, Yes's summer US tour 2016 to summer US tour 2017, broadly similar regions, they've kept "Time and a Word", "Roundabout", "Starship Trooper", "And You and I", "Leaves of Green" and "Machine Messiah" in the set, so 6/13 songs the same, or a 7/13 or 54%, turnover. If ARW do something similar, that would mean replacing 8 songs in their set so far.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

SR Mega Yesfan

^ OK, I went and looked up the answer myself! Broadly, ARW are playing similar regions to last summer's tour. They're hitting a few new places (e.g. their first 3 Canadian dates), but it's most the same places.

Henry

What I personally think could work really well would be swapping "Perpetual Change" for "The Calling" and "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" for "Shoot High Aim Low" while keeping the remaining core of the show basically intact.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    What I personally think could work really well would be swapping "Perpetual Change" for "The Calling" and "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" for "Shoot High Aim Low" while keeping the remaining core of the show basically intact.
    I would be disappointed (but not surprised) if they only change 2 songs in the set. I say "would" because I'm in the UK, so the matter is moot. I'm waiting for news on 2018 European dates, and I sure hope the set has changed by then.

Henry

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast