Google

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS on Rhino

TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS on Rhino

The only way to hear this album more clearly is to hear the actual master tapes in the Yes vault. Finally a CD mix of TALES that sounds the way it ought to. The four suites have a new life! Then there are the two bonus tracks - rough studio runthroughs of RSOG (called DANCE OF THE DAWN) and THE ANCIENT (called GIANTS UNDER THE SUN). Both bonus tracks are quite REVEALING of what Yes sound like getting an epic into shape. Lots of nice variations here, and again, like on the other studio run-through tracks( on CTTE and RELAYER), Jon's voice is more or less a guide vocal. He was saving his best singing for the final vocal tracks for whenever they finally perfected the music. And hearing a rough version of THE ANCIENT was a blast and a half! What an intense piece of music, even in its' early stages.

All Hail Rhino!

Atlantic who?

If you live in a musically backward location where new YES releases don't show up until they're in the 4.99 bin with a huge hole in the jewel case, I recommend these nice folks:

www.metrocityrecords.com

Click on catalog, then go to Y and scroll to YES and click.

These guys are fast and reliable.

I forgot to mention...REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD is the extended intro version as released on IN A WORD : YES.

TFTO RULES

I'm so glad that I never bought any of the other CD versions of this before this new Rhino re-master! The packaging,liner notes,pictures, everything is exquisite!!! And for 16.99! And now for the sound-it is crystal clear in places that were muddy and so 70's sounding(well, it was 1974)-well now the sound matches the technical brillance of the music, which was light years ahead of it's time. Listen to the Alan White drum solo/break in Ritual at full volume! Now, for the extras-it took me awhile to get used to this version of RSOG, but I realize now as you said Rob, that Jon's voice is used more as a guide, and you realize on this song on the other run-throughs on GFTO,CTTE,and Relayer, that a lot of the best lyrics were changed at the last. As for the run-through of The Ancient-this is the highlight of the whole CD for me. Again, the vocals are very rough, but Steve and Alan's work esp. are amazing. I never thought I'd like an electric version of Leaves of Green-but it is truly majestic. I wonder if Rick has listened to this yet-his keyboards are lost alot in the mix, but are great on the alternate RSOG. Overall, I recommend this for everyone-Those who hated Tales,those who only like RSOG and Ritual,those who always loved it.and even those who have never heard it. So what,as Rick says, if there was so much experimentation going on through the recording process. Experimentation is what Yes has always been about-if they remained stagnant they wouldn't still be around for 35 years with legions of loyal fans!!!! I implore you to check out this classic!!!!

Super Yesfan
    It's GREAT isn't it ! BRAVO Rhino !

Give Love Each Day
    i really want to get all the new remasters, i only have close to the edge out of the recent ones. i have to ORDER them from sam goody (Booo). should ig et tales next?
    I’m a failed poet. Maybe every novelist wants to write poetry first, finds he can’t and then tries the short story which is the most demanding form after poetry. And failing at that, only then does he take up novel writing. - William Faulkner.

I love the clarity of the voices on the CD. And the Bonus tracks are so cool! But I have to tell you, I am quite unhappy with (and pardon my lack of technical jargon here) the mix of the drums. I had a bunch of running around to do yesterday, and I played the Rhino's Tales all day long while in my car. My car stereo is my best stereo. I just wasn't hearing the drums very well. I was really disappointed. I tried adjusting all of the levels, but I just wasn't getting the drums.
    Feed homeless animals for FREE! Just click on the PURPLE button.

"In our gardens repose the remains of those that possess beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and the virtues of man without his vices: our pets."

- Lord Byron

Sheila

On the third stone from the G-3 star called The Sun.

Exclamation TALES From Unmuddied Oceans

The sound is such, that I feel I've never really heard this great album until now.

Even the original LP sounded bland and uninspired 'production-wise'.
    You could see the treasure down there, an elaborate montage of jewels and artistry, frustratingly occluded by an uninspired mix of sea-sludge.

NOW.
    Now
    now
    NOW!

At last we can hear TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS for the first time ever: this amazing, most ambitious of all progressive rock albums finally sounds as it was meant to sound: with clarity, lucidity, and presence.
    ~~~~~~~

Listening to TALES was once like diving for pearls: I could enter the realm, I could perceive the wonders... But they all seemed just out of reach.

Finally, the clouds have lifted, the multifaceted gem is brought to the surface... It was worth the wait.

Tales From Topographic Oceans is a masterwork of masterworks.

You owe it to yourself to hear TALES. And you haven't until now. The remaster is that good.
    ~~~~~~

Our reason to be here...

Earl Grey
    It's ALL Good!

http://myspace.com/greymatters
    http://myspace.com/pipergrey
    To order your copy of Piper~Grey, 'APPLES', go to: http://cdbaby.com/cd/pipergrey

Tonight I realized how cool it is to attempt lead guitar parts while playing along with the studio run-through of RSOG.

And now more than ever before you can hear how the heavily contructed arrangements of THE ANCIENT hinted at where they were heading on the NEXT album.
    "This life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness, punctuated by moments of suffering and ending in total annihilation." -Zippy the Pinhead

So am I the only one who feels that the drums could be mixed a little more upfront in the mix?

"In our gardens repose the remains of those that possess beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and the virtues of man without his vices: our pets."

- Lord Byron

Sheila

Well, Sheila...I'll have to say that the drums sound just right to me, and better than they used to sound. Especially on THE ANCIENT.
    "This life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness, punctuated by moments of suffering and ending in total annihilation." -Zippy the Pinhead

...the music fits my soul Faceintheplace's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out all the bass parts to "The Revealing." I figured out the intro, I've been able to play "Into the Lens" for a long time and I realized that "Revaling" has a similar single note patern. I can also play the bit that repeats every now and then in E. Its hard to describe, but one part where it comes up, Jon is singing "La la la, la la, la la, la, la la" along with Chris' bass. Chris' work is always challenging to figure out, I can play a few things, "Yours Is No Discrace", "Perpetual Change", "Roundabout", "Into The Lens" and the original short version of "The Fish" I can play all of, and I've figured out bits of "H.O.T.S.", "The Revealing...", "Ritual", "CTTE", "Sound Chaser" and "I'm Running" (but I can only play it verrrrrrry slowly.)
    "What a bloody waste of time this was." - Rick Wakeman

I don't like Tales that much.

I did, however, buy the remaster, and I have to say I find it more listenable now that the sound is ^10 better. I actually rather like ‘Revealing Science of God’ now, and I think the new intro has something to do with that.
    Who is driving? Oh my God, Bear is driving! How can that be?

I shouldn't generalize so

Originally posted by RobAdams
    Well, Sheila...I'll have to say that the drums sound just right to me, and better than they used to sound. Especially on THE ANCIENT.
    It's RSOG that I have a problem with the drums. The drums are strong on every other track.

- Lord Byron

Sheila

Give Love Each Day
    holy crap. new extended intro on revealing science. that's cool. this has never sounded better. wow. 3 minutes into the album holy ----. it never sounded thsi good my god. i can't believe the clarity. i'm in heaven.
    I’m a failed poet. Maybe every novelist wants to write poetry first, finds he can’t and then tries the short story which is the most demanding form after poetry. And failing at that, only then does he take up novel writing. - William Faulkner.

Give Love Each Day
    okay revealing science of god was amazing. the remembering? more beautiful than ever. can't wait for the an cient.

iamthatiam
    Guest/Lurker
    this has a sheen to it,it SHINES,THIS IS LIGHT IN A DARK AGE,THE SCOPE OF THIS SOUNDSCAPE IS BOUNDLESS ,TRULY TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS!

...the music fits my soul Faceintheplace's Avatar
    Yeah, I think the extended intro really helps "The Revealing." Instead of suddenly being submerged into the Topographic Oceans, it lets us slowly wade in. I can't wait to get the new remaster. I've gotten "CTTE" and "Relayer" so far, so two down, two to go (although it looks like I might have to special order "Tales", unless Musicworld carries it after it moves back into the Rideau mall.)

How's the pakaging on the Rhino version? Any photos from the recording session with the farmyard motif?, Did they restore the pictures from the original gatefold? Is the lyric sheet black with white typeface? I can't wait to have all my questions answered.
    Last edited by Faceintheplace; 05-17-2005 at 01:19 PM.
    "What a bloody waste of time this was." - Rick Wakeman

Give Love Each Day
    Originally posted by Faceintheplace
    Any photos from the recording session with the farmyard motif?
    they mention it briefly but disappointgly no pics.

On the third stone from the G-3 star called The Sun.
    The packaging... Let's see.

I LOVE the slipcase: nice. The CD comes in a triple gatefold, with a nice booklet inclosed. Unfortunately, there are no 'barnyard' photoes from the studio (hyuck!): Mike Tianno wrote the liner notes, and he did a really fine job. There's a posed shot of YES that I hadn't seen before, and some nice concert close-ups of the band.

The complete lyrics are printed in the booklet... Oh, and there's a nice shot of Howe standing under the old Sunset Blvd TALES billboard.

The package is pure class: my favorite so-far.

It's ALL Good!

http://myspace.com/greymatters
    http://myspace.com/pipergrey
    To order your copy of Piper~Grey, 'APPLES', go to: http://cdbaby.com/cd/pipergrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast