Google

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite Pink Floyd (studio) Album?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

3 3.90%
  • A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)

0 0%
  • Soundtrack from the Film More (1969)

0 0%
  • Ummagumma (1969)

3 3.90%
  • Atom Heart Mother (1970)

1 1.30%
  • Meddle (1971)

12 15.58%
  • Obscured by Clouds (1972)

2 2.60%
  • The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

9 11.69%
  • Wish You Were Here (1975)

20 25.97%
  • Animals (1977)

15 19.48%
  • The Wall (1979)

6 7.79%
  • The Final Cut (1983)

2 2.60%
  • A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)

2 2.60%
  • The Division Bell (1994)

2 2.60%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Which is your favourite Pink Floyd Album?

Re: Which is your favourite Pink Floyd Album?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
    Division Bell. I can't believe i'm the only one who voted of it! I grew up with that album,so it has senetemential value :) And I dont like Roger Waters,sooo.....
    Can't agree with you, although DB is a great album. But I must compliment you on your love of Jobson and Ambrosia!
    Yesshows attended (23): 4/84, 1/88, 7/91 (x2), 8/94, 8/98, 10/99, 8/00, 8/01, 8/02, 10/02, 4/04, 5/04, 9/04 (x2), 12/08, 7/09, 6/10, 3/11 (x2), 7/12, 4/13, 8/14 || Yes member gigs: Steve solo ’00 [w/GTR ’86], [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12] | Jon solo '14 | Jon & Alan charity gig ’99 | Alan drum clinic ’89 | Bill drum clinics ’83 & ’85 [w/Crimso ’95] | Patrick solo ’98, ’11 [w/Moodies ’86 (x2), ’88] | Rick solo ’03, ’09 | Geoff [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12]

WYWH for me...
    Proggin' in the Mississippi Delta!

(www.ravensmist.com)

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by Camphire View Post
    I like The Final Cut.
    I listened to it a lot in the past and still give it an occasional spin now.
    I love it.. by far one of my top favorite floyd albums.

To me this is Roger Waters at his best.. what a great album to kick back to like a good movie, turn the lights low and use your imagination.

still undefined

Do you like my antlers? Mr Roundabout's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    Lamb is better than Quadro.

Bettye is better than PT and Roger.

I saw Bettye at the Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow earlier this year. She was great.

WYWH for me.

Dark Side Of The Moon for me because it was such an innovative and groundbreaking album. Wish You Were Here is a close second. I can understand the reasons for all the various choices though.

Hugh
    'Every Day That You Wait Is One More That You've Lost'

It is kind of wonderful that apart from A Saucerful of Secrets and the More Soundtrack, every album has votes. They were indeed some band that had creative peaks often. I'm even starting to like AMLOR.

Brian

I can't pick one.

Saw a Pink Floyd tribute band at the local dive bar last night. They were very good and I had a blast!
    Practice peace.

www.getthemoneyout.com

Hook, line, and sinker.........

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from the people that chose Ummagumma and Obscured by Clouds. I would like to hear their enthusiasm. When I was young Ummagumma had a certain appeal to me, i don't think i can find that appeal again though.
    I chose Obscured by Clouds; but not with any particular 'enthusiasm' for it as an album over any of the others - more based on the consistency, I suppose, with which I enjoy listening to it all, as an album, rather than choosing an album because it happens to have an all time favourite piece on it, even if I think the rest of the album is disappointing, to whatever degree.

For example, My favourite PF piece is probably Echoes, but I find most of the rest of Meddle to be, well, not very interesting. I personally have a soft spot for Fat Old Sun and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, but Atom Heart Mother, to me, is a now quite badly dated period piece.

'Saucerful' I find wildly inconsistent, likewise, even though it has Set The Controls on it. Ummagumma is a great live album.... and Grantchester Meadows.

'Piper' is an album by a Floyd that might-have-been, and to choose it would be to choose Syd Barrett, in effect, and to do a disservice to the remaining however-many percent of the whole - and wholly different -PF canon.

I played DSOTM to death when it first came out, when I was 14. I haven't listened to it much since. Victim of it's own success and where the slick, corporate-sounding, biting-the-hand-that-feeds, stomach turning, Poor Little Rock Star, Waters-dominated Floyd really dug in deep. Wish You Were Here likewise, and the Wall was it's apogee. I stopped listening after the Wall.

Animals is too depressing for me to listen to at all, now.

Obscured sounds like a very good band, making a reasonably consistent album, with no pressure to do anything NEW, DIFFERENT or FAR OUT.

A whole week in the Honky Chateau, and somebody else stringing out the line for them to peg their washing on!

They should have tried it more often, IMHO

Sorcerer's Apprentice SilverShoes's Avatar
    Somewhere under the rainbow, rainbow, rainbow, rainbow (cue Ritchie Blackmore playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow)

I voted for Animals. It's my favorite Pink Floyd album. A nice balance between sprawling composition and bad ass rock n roll. Gilmour and Wright both get some fine solos in it (particularly on Dogs and Sheep).

As for Ummagumma, it's the only place in the official canon (other than Live In Pompeii, which I don't think is as good) where you can hear how things like Careful With That Axe Eugene and Saucerful Of Secrets changed onstage. And that's a shame, because Pink Floyd were one of the great improvising rock groups during the pre-DSOTM years, and you really do have to go into the bootlegs to really hear that side of their music.

As for the studio disc, there's two good songs (Narrow Part Three and Grantchester Meadows) a couple decent instrumentals (the rest of The Narrow Way and the first part of Sisyphus), some intriguing wierdness (Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict) and the rest of it is complete filler.
    "I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand"-Ian Curtis
    www.myspace.com/kohntarkosz
    http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_chris_richards_show

"Nothing is impossible! If it can be dreamed, it can done, hence the 20 foot jackal staring at you right now!"-Theodore Roosevelt

Very difficult choice indeed - I chose The Wall, could have easily been Momentary Lapse of Reason or Dark Side of the Moon.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

I know this will be complete blasphemy for many Floyd fans but The Division Bell is my fave. The songs, performance & production are just so exquisite. I suppose this might be the equivalent of a Yes fan saying 90125 in their fave but there you go.

Nice old-ish post resurrected.

Fave is still Meddle for me - always will be. Final Cut, worse than ever - a shocker, an absolute abomination.

I can understand the love for WYWH, but Animals, more votes than Meddle? That's hard to take.

Most overrated (though not borne out on this poll) - Dark Side. Most underrated (as witnessed by the nil points here) - Saucerful.
    Paul

Prog snob

I love The Floyd. All of it barring one or two tracks. Meddle is my favourite.
    Not sure if life is passing me by or trying to run me over.

Shoddy & Mungo Yorkshire Square's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBYSGRAPHICGOKART View Post
    Fave is still Meddle for me - always will be. Final Cut, worse than ever - a shocker, an absolute abomination.

I can understand the love for WYWH, but Animals, more votes than Meddle?
    I wouldn't say that Final Cut is my favourite PF album, but it's certainly top five. Then again I prefer Waters' caustic nihilism to Gilmour's laid back blues. Meddle has Echoes, otherwise it's a bit lame IMO.

Animals or The Wall. I think...

Pounding out the Devil's sermon Meng's Avatar

I am delighted (and somewhat surprised) to see my three favourite Floyd albums beating Dark Side.
    PeteW. Good without god.

Bristol 9 Sep 72; Bristol 18 Nov 73; Bristol 5 & 7 May 75; Wembley Oct 77; Wembley 28 Oct 78 (Evening show); Bristol 16 Nov 80; Birmingham 24 Oct 89; Wembley Oct 89; Birmingham Jun 91; Wembley 29 Jun 91; Nottingham 1 Mar 98; Birmingham 13 Apr 98; London 20 Feb 00; Cardiff 7 Dec 01; Birmingham 3 Jul 03; Birmingham 18 Jun 04; Bristol 23 Nov 09; Birmingham 11 Nov 11; Bristol 16 Nov 11; Birmingham 4 May 14; Bristol 11 May 14

Animals. No contest for me.

The Wall... can't really listen to any others all the way through.. and Dark Side is so meh.... my vinyl copy made for a nice frisbee...

Quote Originally Posted by DREAMER View Post
    I know this will be complete blasphemy for many Floyd fans but The Division Bell is my fave. The songs, performance & production are just so exquisite. I suppose this might be the equivalent of a Yes fan saying 90125 in their fave but there you go.
    Stone him !

Nah, it's O.K., just too inoffensive...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

The Wall.

Followed by Wish You Were Here, Animals, Final Cut, Meddle, Dark Side, Division Bell, Momentary Lapse.

To be honest, I kind of wish the rest didn't exist...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Crying on the inside maninthemoon's Avatar

Dsotm

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast