Google

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The WORST live albums ever!!!

Re: The WORST live albums ever!!!

No face dances or it's hard? Hmmmm. I wonder why.

With the exception of "follow you follow me" none of the recent Genesis live albums have anything from Abacab or ATTWT. It's probably because the band doesn't like those albums. So I can only guess that the Who didn't like their last two(at the time)studio albums as well which is possibly why they didn't represent them on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RobAdams View Post
    I do have "Who's Last" and it certainly was lacking in the sound quality department...Not so much because of the music, but because the crowd sounds were emphasized a bit too much. One negative thing about "Who's Last" is that there is nothing to represent the "Face Dances" album or the album "It's Hard".

And as far as Yes goes, I must complain about a live album that is still one of my favorites - "Yesshows". First complaint...is "Parallels" recorded in mono? I can't detect any stereo seperation on this track. Second complaint - Why edit "Time And A Word" and "Going For The One" to sound like they were played in a medley together? And my final complaint (remember I still love "Yesshows") - Splitting "Ritual" into part one and part two. This has been resolved with the CD, but when this was on vinyl, "Ritual" faded out after about 12 minutes so that it could be continued on side 4. I know they tried to avoid having 28 minutes on an LP side, but having "Ritual" in two parts made the LP sound like an 8 track tape! Okay, one last "Yesshows" complaint - I was really very upset at the time that this album did not include "Awaken".

Musically I like Yesshows better than Yessongs. It shows the band at their peak in a live setting. Also, the sound quality is better on Yesshows. However, the performance over all is better on Yessongs. It shows the raw energy, creativity and imagination the band had at that time. The songs would just go off on tangents and they weren't afraid to improvise.

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar
    Between 9012Live and the other live material on other releases there is a fantastic YesWest live anthology waiting for someone to release it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

My nominee for the worst live album I have ever heard is Join Together from The Who. It is almost shocking how boring it is. There is a reason fans call that 1989 reunion "The Who on Ice".

Yesshows rarely gets played since I got ahold of Wembley 78 and Roosevelt Stadium 76. I can't find much fault with the individual performances that make up Yesshows, but the way it was compiled is a bit odd.

i think the idea is NOT to talk about YES live albums ??

Mega Insane Yesfan Doctor Flang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    My nominee for the worst live album I have ever heard is Join Together from The Who. It is almost shocking how boring it is. There is a reason fans call that 1989 reunion "The Who on Ice".
    You're right, it is boring.

Allman Brothers Band - Peakin' at the Beacon
    One of the best live bands ever at their worst. Dickey Betts was so wasted during the 2000 Beacon run that at one point he turned to a band member and asked:

"What song are we playing?"

"You mean you or us?", said the band member.

This album was clearly released only to fulfil their contract with Sony.

Save Music! Support NEW Prog! JeffMatheus's Avatar

The recently unearthed Moody Blues "Live at the Isle of Wight" should have stayed lost (despite having a good track listing.) I love the Moodies, but that show is so full of bum notes, out-of-tune guitar, malfunctioning Mellotron and harmonies missed by a mile, that it makes them sound like an amature bar band. I'm shocked the band even allowed it to be released.
    Jeff Matheus

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMatheus View Post
    The recently unearthed Moody Blues "Live at the Isle of Wight" should have stayed lost (despite having a good track listing.) I love the Moodies, but that show is so full of bum notes, out-of-tune guitar, malfunctioning Mellotron and harmonies missed by a mile, that it makes them sound like an amature bar band. I'm shocked the band even allowed it to be released.
    I've only heard Nights of White Satin from IOW and that was out-of-tune. Many artist gave dubious performances at Isle of Wight: Jim Morrison was totally uninterested about the show and made The Doors' performance pretty boring. Hendrix was jet-lagged and drunk. Keith Moon was drugged and played somewhat badly and plagued in part The Who's otherwise magnificent set. ELP played their second show ever and sounded quite ragged and out-of-tune.

Winners at IOW were Jethro Tull and Miles Davis who were great!

Black Sabbath - Live at Last

Released by the former record label. Sounds like a bad rough mix to my ears. Sabbath tried to make a live album many times during the 70's, but for some reason they never did. Someone should remix the tapes Sabs recorded and release them.

Velvet Underground - Live at Max Kansas City

George Harrison - Live in Japan

Deep Purple gave the world one of the best live albums ever, but they have also released lot's of bad live albums: Last Concert in Japan, Nobody's Perfect and Come Hell Or High Water are all pretty bad. Not to mention the withdrawn Live at NEC...

Quote Originally Posted by RobAdams View Post
    I do have "Who's Last" and it certainly was lacking in the sound quality department...Not so much because of the music, but because the crowd sounds were emphasized a bit too much. One negative thing about "Who's Last" is that there is nothing to represent the "Face Dances" album or the album "It's Hard".

And as far as Yes goes, I must complain about a live album that is still one of my favorites - "Yesshows". First complaint...is "Parallels" recorded in mono? I can't detect any stereo seperation on this track. Second complaint - Why edit "Time And A Word" and "Going For The One" to sound like they were played in a medley together? And my final complaint (remember I still love "Yesshows") - Splitting "Ritual" into part one and part two. This has been resolved with the CD, but when this was on vinyl, "Ritual" faded out after about 12 minutes so that it could be continued on side 4. I know they tried to avoid having 28 minutes on an LP side, but having "Ritual" in two parts made the LP sound like an 8 track tape! Okay, one last "Yesshows" complaint - I was really very upset at the time that this album did not include "Awaken".
    I remember recording from the radio the supposed "Last Who concert" which I learned later ended up being released as Who's Last. If it's the same show I recall both "It's Hard" and "Eminence Front" were played. I've got it on tape somewhere in the garage. But I agree with you on Yesshows, IMHO it should have been Yessongs pt 2. A triple album could have done justice to the two tours with Moraz as well as the 77/78 tour.

A human resource's trainwreck. Strawbs's Avatar

Jimi Hendrix--High Live and Dirty

Right Here, Right Now--Van Halen

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    Rush in Rio
    Super performance, but probably THE worst sounding live album i've ever heard. If somebody doesn't know what the audiophile term "brickwalling" means, just listen to this. That said, i didn't like Different Stages's T4E discs either.
    And ironically, these albums are especially esteemed by Rush themselves as they feel they capture their actual live sound better than the earlier live albums.
    "Olórin I was in the West that is forgotten."

I adore the Moody Blues, but I hate them live. Their studio albums were so beautiful and unbelievable, but sorry they just can't pull that off live. No way.
    PitaPata Cat tickers

PitaPata Cat tickers

PitaPata Cat tickers

Well the Moodies were great when I saw them live back in the late eighties. Their live at red rocks is good too(I still have it on vhs don't laugh). Also, I saw the Who maybe a year later and they were very good live also. Some bands just don't translate well to the stage but imo those two do(at least based on what I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by Soundchaser_413 View Post
    Well the Moodies were great when I saw them live back in the late eighties. Their live at red rocks is good too(I still have it on vhs don't laugh). Also, I saw the Who maybe a year later and they were very good live also. Some bands just don't translate well to the stage but imo those two do(at least based on what I saw).
    I don't know. I guess it all depends, but I heard a live version of Nights In White Satin and they murdered it. They sounded like a bunch of cats on a fence. It's one of my favorite songs ever. I guess I just expected it to sound the same live as on Days Of Future Passed, but it didn't.
    PitaPata Cat tickers

PitaPata Cat tickers

PitaPata Cat tickers

King Crimson- Earthbound (this was literally taken from someone's bootleg recording and it shows-to be fair the playing is good but you can't enjoy it much because of the poor sound quality).
    Sound is crap for sure. USA sounds good, but c'mon, is a single LP enough to cover a concert? Too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Meng View Post
    9012Live - The Solos.

An album of solos. WTF????????????????
    Where's the rest of the show, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    At the other end of the scale, Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder and Rush - A Show of Hands are so devoid of any "life" that I wonder whether they are live albums at all.
    I never listen to A Show of Hands. Lifeless, as you say. Too pristine and 80s sounding. The only Rush I own that's not in my iTunes.

No face dances or it's hard? Hmmmm. I wonder why.
    They didn't do any Face Dances material on that tour.

The expanded It's Hard has the live tracks from that album that they did for the "final" tour.

I've avoided Caught Live + 5, which is supposed to be horribly subpar. Isle is somewhat listenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    I've only heard Nights of White Satin from IOW and that was out-of-tune. Many artist gave dubious performances at Isle of Wight: Jim Morrison was totally uninterested about the show and made The Doors' performance pretty boring. Hendrix was jet-lagged and drunk. Keith Moon was drugged and played somewhat badly and plagued in part The Who's otherwise magnificent set. ELP played their second show ever and sounded quite ragged and out-of-tune.

Winners at IOW were Jethro Tull and Miles Davis who were great!
    Tull were great, as the live DVD shows. ELP's CD release is chopped to hell. More excerpts than anything else. The video uses non-band footage most of the time (were they loading all the cameras during ELP's set?), and when you do see the band it is often recycled footage from another part of the show that doesn't sync up. Avoid the ELP live CD unless you are a completist.
    Yesshows attended (23): 4/84, 1/88, 7/91 (x2), 8/94, 8/98, 10/99, 8/00, 8/01, 8/02, 10/02, 4/04, 5/04, 9/04 (x2), 12/08, 7/09, 6/10, 3/11 (x2), 7/12, 4/13, 8/14 || Yes member gigs: Steve solo ’00 [w/GTR ’86], [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12] | Jon solo '14 | Jon & Alan charity gig ’99 | Alan drum clinic ’89 | Bill drum clinics ’83 & ’85 [w/Crimso ’95] | Patrick solo ’98, ’11 [w/Moodies ’86 (x2), ’88] | Rick solo ’03, ’09 | Geoff [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12]

The Who live at leeds.
    A huge concert fan who has been to over 200 shows, including 5 Yes shows, including one front row show 07/10/2013. My favorites are Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton and Yes! I got my Avatar from a front row show of David Gilmour on 4/20/2006.

Strangely, I'm one who thinks The Who's "Live At Leeds" is spectacular, especially in the deluxe edition 2 CD set.

As this is a matter of opinion, in Pete Townshend's own words "You are forgiven".
    "This life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness, punctuated by moments of suffering and ending in total annihilation." -Zippy the Pinhead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast