Google

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar - a Roger Dean 'Floating Islands' rip off? 6/2013 LEGAL ACTION

Avatar - a Roger Dean 'Floating Islands' rip off? 6/2013 LEGAL ACTION

NOTE: 6/30/13: PLEASE NOTE THIS THREAD HAS DETAILS/TALK ABOUT THE LEGAL ACTION BY ROGER DEAN AND JAMES CAMERON OVER THE AVATAR MOVIE. SEE THE LAST PAGES OF THIS THREAD ABOUT IT.

The new James Cameron movie Avatar opens this week - and from what I've seen from the trailer there are some very Roger Dean like backdrops used - some very reminiscent of Floating Islands.

I know Roger hasn't been involved with this production so it smacks very much of a rip off of his work - see for yourselves.

http://media.smh.com.au/trailer--ava...034383968.html

Last edited by 1yesfan; 06-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Balance the thoughts that release within you

Moderating Yesfan True Believer's Avatar

Re: Avatar - a Roger Dean 'Floating Islands' rip off?

Yeah, I thought that when I saw the trailer at the movies a few months ago.

Hoping to catch the movie next Saturday!

Support the site server fund!

NOVEMBERISM 2011 pedro skychaser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer View Post
    Yeah, I thought that when I saw the trailer at the movies a few months ago.

Hoping to catch the movie next Saturday!
    you just wanna checkout samW.

i'm gunna check it out too with my sam,only because the poor studio paid so much money and peoples' jobs are on the line,people!

************************************************** ***********************************

(having said that i'd rather watch SAMSON+DELILAH again)

Mega Insane Yesfan heartofthesunrise's Avatar

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Not a bad reason to go see a 3-hour movie, though I heard they could've spent some of that overblown budget on a competent screenwriter. Wait, didn't Cameron write the screenplay?
    No sense in being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

This arguing is killing me... maninthemoon's Avatar

first thing I thought of as well.

ditto.

Dragon's Garden and Floating Islands.

Sue them Roger!

Or make them add some Yes music to the soundtrack. :)
    C

"Do you want to cruelly and thoughtlessly wrench apart God's own United Kingdom which stood up against the Nazis in WW2 and be cast into utter darkness without heat, food or light forever and have to worship Alex Salmond like he was Kim Il-Sung? Do you? Do you? Eh? Because if you do you're just letting Hitler win. Plus your football team will still be rubbish, you'll make the Baby Jesus cry, and this little kitten will drown. And that's a fact."

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
    ... it smacks very much of a rip off of his work - see for yourselves.
    Careful with the "rip off" label when discussing art - see the work of American illustrator Maxfield Parrish (1870 - 1966).

Maybe use the word "influence" instead!!

I'm just sayin'.

I'm sorry but Roger has been producing beautiful artwork and graphics for over 40 years, but I always wondered why he could never summon resources necessary to make a great movie (with original Yes music as a soundtrack).

This Floating Islands project has been floundering around for, like five years, and by now it will seem like it's ripping off Avatar to the buying public.

What did the guys in Yes and maybe even Roger Dean do to piss off so many in the industry, so it's virtually impossible for these guys to collaborate or motivate artists and musicians to work directly with them on more ambitious projects involving their art and music??

My God, when I went to High School and college, Roger Dean and Yes were always held in very high regard amongst the class artists and musicians.

What the hell happened to that fan base of would-be creative professionals in later years?

...just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by denmac View Post
    Careful with the "rip off" label when discussing art - see the work of American illustrator Maxfield Parrish (1870 - 1966).

Maybe use the word "influence" instead!!

I'm just sayin'.
    Yeah, I worked at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco doing AV about 12 years ago, and there's a bar called Maxfield's with an original Parrish painting in there.

Aw yes, here it is, (note the Dean-esque mountain and rocks and even the tree):

Last edited by rmig68; 12-14-2009 at 02:56 PM.

It looks like it's taken a bit of inspirastion from Studio Ghibli too. Of course, I always thought Hayao Miyazaki was a Roger Dean fan anyway. Any fans of Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbour Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle etc? Absolute genius.

Brian

Not forgetting this little fella too.

C

"Do you want to cruelly and thoughtlessly wrench apart God's own United Kingdom which stood up against the Nazis in WW2 and be cast into utter darkness without heat, food or light forever and have to worship Alex Salmond like he was Kim Il-Sung? Do you? Do you? Eh? Because if you do you're just letting Hitler win. Plus your football team will still be rubbish, you'll make the Baby Jesus cry, and this little kitten will drown. And that's a fact."

http://io9.com/5426120/did-prog-rock...o-yes/gallery/

an influence? a homage? Oh I'm sure copies of Views, Magnetic Storm were perused in the early preproduction stages of Avatar..

Well... Avatar looks like a really wild trip!! ... definately gonna be seeing it this weekend

Just an old hippie! STEVEtheYESman's Avatar

Had a buddy who went to UCLA back in the early 70's who rented an apartment near the campus with some friends...
    On two of the walls in the living room were Roger Dean paintings from the Yessongs album. Each wall was entirely covered with a depiction from two sides of the album. I don't remember which sides were depicted... It was awsome because none of my buddy's roommates were fans of Yes. My friend and I did some educating!

Moderating Yesfan True Believer's Avatar

Support the site server fund!

Yep
    I Tend To See This From A Different Angle / .

In between the sky and every piece of the earth

I'm a huge Dean fan, but that Avatar is a rip-off did not occur to me. That Dean influenced the art is possible. Aren't there still schools of thought and practice in art?

If there are straight out copies of his work though, Dean should say something - in court.

I wanted to see this movie before - now I really want to see it.
    Trudes

Go Yes. ~ Rob (luvyesmusic)

gonna see it this satdee with goodwife+++sammy mac the rockkid....after OPORTO burgers----will debrief+review

STAY TUNED

if you can't wait here's what a mate of mine thought....

All about the cinema

Skip to content

« Nowhere Boy film review: loud, heavy, highly strung
    Samson & Delilah scoops 2009 AFI Awards »

Avatar film review: blockbustepic

28+1100>December 12, 2009 – 2:22 pm, by Luke Buckmaster
    After ripping the film industry a new one with Titanic in 1997 and thus snaring a modest accolade commonly known as the most successful movie of all time mega-minded director James Cameron retreated to the cavernous lairs of computer labs and editing suites where legend has it – his films are so big, you see, they inspire legends – he spent the next handful of years developing technology capable of bringing his new uber blockbuster to the silver CGI-sheathed screen.
    In a rare display of restraint, Cameron decided to scrap his original plan of upgrading every cinema in the world to auditoriums the size of stadiums with screens as wide as skylines and made do with what he could filch from a $300 million budget and the result is Avatar, a cyclopean sized futuristic SCI-FI about a militarised mining corporation who fight an indigenous alien race of giant skinny Smurfs (known as the Na’vi) on a distant moon called Pandora.
    Jake Sully (Aussie Sam Worthington) is a paralysed former Marine sent deep into the extraterrestrial jungles to infiltrate the Na’vi community and attempt to negotiate a re-settlement away from their resources rich home. Humans can’t breathe on Pandora so Jake must transform into an Avatar – a living alien body controlled mentally from military HQ. He meets a sleek young Na’vi lady, Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), integrates himself into her apprehensive tribe and slowly falls in love with the new culture and people. But the officious hard-nosed people from the mining corporation are intent on acquiring a precious mineral protected by the Na’vi people. They could have paid more attention to its name – “unobtainium ” – which contains a cryptic message about the mineral’s obtainability. Can you guess what?
    There is nothing exciting or innovative about Cameron’s uncomplicated screenplay, which is unashamedly used as a map to connect his extravagant set pieces. But the wow mumma! visual makeup of Avatar is fantastically far-out, designed to have critics choking themselves on superlatives and audiences returning for a second and third helping. This movie goes beyond eye candy. It’s eye cocaine. And James Cameron only sells the good stuff.
    Mauro Fiore and Vince Pace’s cinematography emerges from the cinema-as-spectacle school of thought and the movie’s monolithic final act contains the loudest and most sensational action finale since The Return of the King (2003), replete with outrageous stunts, screen buckling angles and moments of fist in the air battle-spectacular.
    Pandora’s lush, intricately detailed jungle terrain proves the right setting for Cameron to up the ante for 3D effects and Avatar clearly sets a new benchmark in blockbuster cosmetics, in a similar way to how Jurassic Park wowed us with breathtakingly rendered dinosaurs in 1993. But – sorry to disrupt the choir of appreciators singing about Avatar’s visual flawlessness – the big disappointment in the way the film looks is a consequence of its 3D properties: it has an irritating tendency to cut straight from handsomely layered 3D pictures to flat-as-a-pancake 2D shots, which creates an oddly jarring effect. Other than that this movie is everything it’s cracked up to be: gorgeously atmospheric and orgies-for-eyeballs good looking. In line with one wag’s early commentary, it looks like an ultra contemporary refashioning of FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) and the story bears more than passing similarity – it is in fact rudimentarily the same.
    As expected the actors take a back seat to the technological hoo-ha unfolding around them. Working with a limited range of emotions, Worthington provides a steady human anchor but the non-CGI star of the show is Stephan Lang as the remorselessly inhumane Colonel Miles Quaritch, the quintessential love-to-hate military baddie with a comically weather-beaten, scar-streaked appearance and the kind of haircut you could set your watch to. The buff square-faced Lang, in full-blown caricature mode, inhabits the role with insatiable aplomb; it’s a devilishly cartoony performance. I kept waiting for Quaritch to light a cigar by swiping it across his cheek – sadly, that moment never came.
    Behind its showy veneer and otherwordly surfaces Avatar conceals a left/liberal commentary on eco-sustainability and indigenous land rights. Just as it’s impossible to ignore the racial allegories underlining Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, it’s impossible not to link Avatar’s story with the plight of American Indians, or Australian Aborigines, or any race of technologically primitive people with deep spiritual connections to their land. Cameron constructs the picturesque Pandora settings with glorious attention to detail, so when this magical, beautiful place is threatened by the more familiar items of war and machinery the audience react in the ways he prescribed: we hate the human invaders; we cheer in defence of Mother Nature’s extraterrestrial majesty. In District 9 humans were also heartless self-serving swine, save a few dissenters. 2009 is the year in which we rooted for the aliens.
    Words like “big,” “grand” and “spectacle” seem virtually blasé in the context of blockbuster filmmaking, an art form driven by audacious people bent on outdoing each other in sheer excessiveness. Since James Cameron invented cameras capable of making this movie, it seems appropriate to invent a word capable of reviewing it, so here we go: you might say that Avatar, which feels so grand it almost goes beyond blockbuster and beyond epic, is a blockbustepic. All its milestones may be temporary technological achievements, and as an experience it may infantilise the audience, reducing us to wide-eyed children rubbernecking at strange new sights, like the stunned apes in 2001: A Space Odyssey dancing madly about the monolith. But being there at ground level, ogling at the marvellous weirdness of it all, is an undeniably exhilarating experience.
    Avatar’s Australian theatrical release date: December 17, 2009.

Mega Insane Yesfan heartofthesunrise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmig68 View Post
    Yeah, I worked at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco doing AV about 12 years ago, and there's a bar called Maxfield's with an original Parrish painting in there.

Aw yes, here it is, (note the Dean-esque mountain and rocks and even the tree):

I'm a rabid fan of Parrish, too, and have always thought Parrish and Dean go together rather nicely.
    No sense in being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

just got back
    it's amazing
    beyond dean
    must digest
    noisiest crowd i've ever been in
    hoopin'+a hollerin' for the good guys
    best $12 i ever spent

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmig68 View Post
    I'm sorry but Roger has been producing beautiful artwork and graphics for over 40 years, but I always wondered why he could never summon resources necessary to make a great movie (with original Yes music as a soundtrack).

This Floating Islands project has been floundering around for, like five years, and by now it will seem like it's ripping off Avatar to the buying public.

What did the guys in Yes and maybe even Roger Dean do to piss off so many in the industry, so it's virtually impossible for these guys to collaborate or motivate artists and musicians to work directly with them on more ambitious projects involving their art and music??

My God, when I went to High School and college, Roger Dean and Yes were always held in very high regard amongst the class artists and musicians.

What the hell happened to that fan base of would-be creative professionals in later years?

...just sayin'
    Evidently some artists and musicians can handle the cinema/TV racetrack and some are not suited for it. Imagine Tom Scholz as a soundtrack contractee - it takes him over a year to get an album out - forget the weekly schedule.

Trevor Rabin's name comes to mind as an example of the type of musician that can flex into flix.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro skychaser View Post
    just got back
    it's amazing
    beyond dean
    must digest
    noisiest crowd i've ever been in
    hoopin'+a hollerin' for the good guys
    best $12 i ever spent

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    high praise - I'll have to talk the wife into seeing this . . .
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast