Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Punky Meadow's ANGEL shrine

Banned

Punky Meadow's ANGEL shrine

hOLY sCHiTT, i cAn'T bELiEVe that the Punky Meadows myth is true! When I first heard Frank Zappa and Terry Bozzio speak of a pouty lipped rock star with beautiful shiny hair and impeccable hips, teeth and gums, I certainly thought that the character was 100% purely fictional. I mean, not only that, but I thought that this type of hugely superficial, androgynous rock star with the big hair and spandex pants wasn't even a reality until the early 80's. Some people call it 'Glam-Metal', I call it 'Cokc-Rock'. But any way you draw it up, it's still some funny ass schitt for a grown man to be indulging. And, I always felt that practitioners of said genre only travelled such a degrading path because they severely lacked musical talent and needed a large gimmick to distract you from that fact. Zappa's song 'Punky's Whips depicts such a glam-boy who casts a seductive spell over Zappa's own drummer, Terry Bozzio. Bozzio gets hypnotized and drawn to the magic-wielding glam-boy, all the while protesting that he's NOT GAY! Well, as it turns out, the glam-boy in the song is an actual living entity named Punky Meadows. And, he was the first lead guitarist for a band named 'ANGEL'. No schitt! It's all true and I found out today! Apparently, this band ANGEL begun in 1975 and had quite a few albums before quietly disbanding. At what point I don't know. I guess it was so quiet that no one noticed. But, the word is that they were active and relatively popular during the second half of the 1970's......So, who was there during this era and had some exposure to this group, either by a friend, or the media or their little sister. Who the heck has some info on this group ANGEL, forever immortalized in Zappa's Punky's Whips???
    Last edited by CerebralJazz85; 12-18-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Re: Punky Meadow's ANGEL shrine

Chris, Frank wouldn't lie to you. It is hard to believe, isn't it? But, there it is.
    "I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk." Stevie Ray Vaughan

Peter Grant: "Hello, I'm Peter Grant, I manage Led Zeppelin."

Bob Dylan: "Hey man, I don't bother you with my problems!"

I can see where he'd be attractive to both sexes . . .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by melllotron View Post
    Chris, Frank wouldn't lie to you. It is hard to believe, isn't it? But, there it is.
    No, I certainly wouldn't doubt Uncle Frank. Yet, the name, Punky Meadows sounds so outlandishly silly, that I was certain that it had to be fabricated by the mind of FZ. Lookin' at this puckered face pretty boy, and I'm still doubtful its all real. I mean, how the heck could a group get away with lookin' like this? Just look at this flarkin' guy? That hair musta took hours. LOL. Apparently, they were on the Casablanca label, home of KISS. But, being the huge fan of 70's rock that I am, how can it be possible that I never heard of these pickled-pants shlock stars mentioned in any context? Something's askew. Do you remember these guys being around and selling records?.....Did ya notice that their logo, when read upside down, is the same design?

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralJazz85 View Post
    No, I certainly wouldn't doubt Uncle Frank. Yet, the name, Punky Meadows sounds so outlandishly silly, that I was certain that it had to be fabricated by the mind of FZ. Lookin' at this puckered face pretty boy, and I'm still doubtful its all real. I mean, how the heck could a group get away with lookin' like this? Just look at this flarkin' guy? That hair musta took hours. LOL. Apparently, they were on the Casablanca label, home of KISS. But, being the huge fan of 70's rock that I am, how can it be possible that I never heard of these pickled-pants shlock stars mentioned in any context? Something's askew. Do you remember these guys being around and selling records?.....Did ya notice that their logo, when read upside down, is the same design?
    Wow, I never noticed the upside down logo thing. But, they did exist. I actually knew people that were fans, back in the 70's. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple popped up here when this thread has been around long enough for everyone to see.
    The only time I ever saw them was in a movie that starred Jodie Foster called Foxes. They were featured in the movie. But, yeah, Punky Meadows. What a name.
    "I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk." Stevie Ray Vaughan

pooched out succulence

Quote Originally Posted by tardistraveler View Post
    Wow, you have to hit another link to activate this.

Oops - let's try that again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_%28band%29

Robtor, a created YES-state of mind in a castle in Northern Virginia.

I believe Punky Meadows has moved down to Florida. There was a big article a couple years ago in the d.c. City paper. He still has feathered hair and there is still some interest for him to do some shows but he has no such plans. I'm not lying, but for years he owned a tanning saloon(you tell me how to spell it) in Oakton, Virginia and sold it within the last few years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by melllotron View Post
    Wow, I never noticed the upside down logo thing. But, they did exist. I actually knew people that were fans, back in the 70's. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple popped up here when this thread has been around long enough for everyone to see.
    The only time I ever saw them was in a movie that starred Jodie Foster called Foxes. They were featured in the movie. But, yeah, Punky Meadows. What a name.

Man, I wish you could see this thing from my perspective 'cause it sure is dang strange. I though that Zappa had concocted a group of fictional pin-up characters that were supposed to be a mid-70's precursor to what a band like STRYPER was in the 80's (Ya ever hear of those guys?) So, there's no doubt in my mind that he's making these people up. And, the whole scenario is as funny as heck 'cause in my mind I'm picture guys like these muffin-heads that are in STRYPER....Then, I'm lookin' up stuff on Zappa in New York and click on a link that takes me to a photo of Punky Meadows. At first, I thought that someone out there (a huge Zappa-head) had gone and dressed up like what he thought the fictional character Punky Meadows would look like. I thought THAT was strange enough. So, I follow the trail a little further and I find a BIO on the group. I thought, "Wow, this Zappa-head sure is taking this hoax pretty far by creating a fake BIO for this ficitonal band". But, then I see the information in several different places and know that everyone can't be in on the same joke. THIS BAND MUST BE FOR REAL!!! I was then totally astounded that this band takes up real physical space in this universe. lol.

I really liked some of Greg Guiffria's stuff no matter how much hairspray they used. Stryper was a big joke. They had one song with a good rif in it. My Christian best friend was allowed to own it. I told him it was a gimmick but he didn't believe me; it was. I remember it was reported on Mtv that there was going to be some "Metal" conference and a couple of the godly Stryper guys moved their placards so they could be next to KING Diamond.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I really liked some of Greg Guiffria's stuff no matter how much hairspray they used. Stryper was a big joke. They had one song with a good rif in it. My Christian best friend was allowed to own it. I told him it was a gimmick but he didn't believe me; it was. I remember it was reported on Mtv that there was going to be some "Metal" conference and a couple of the godly Stryper guys moved their placards so they could be next to KING Diamond.

So, what was that supposed to suggest? That they wanted the publicity that such a pairing would elicit?

Follow up question: Who was more handsome Oz Fox or Punky Brewster?

I can't believe that Angel was the first HAIR METAL band and I never heard of them. I wonder if they have penises or vaginas?

The state of Intoxication (Simi Valley, CA)

[QUOTE=CerebralJazz85;1351417] LOL. Apparently, they were on the Casablanca label, home of KISS. [QUOTE]

Ok I hate admiting to knowing about these guys. My excuse is that Gene Simmons claims that he discoved them.

"Angel was signed to Casablanca after I saw them in a club in Wash DC and told Neal Bogart (our record label head) to sign em."
    G$
    Kathy

Please donate to the server fund

http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

Banned

[quote=Silent_wings;1351507][quote=CerebralJazz85;1351417] LOL. Apparently, they were on the Casablanca label, home of KISS.

Ok I hate admiting to knowing about these guys. My excuse is that Gene Simmons claims that he discoved them.

"Angel was signed to Casablanca after I saw them in a club in Wash DC and told Neal Bogart (our record label head) to sign em."
    G$

OK, what's the next confession - - that you've seen them a half dozen times and had a 3 X 6 poster of the above 'pucker shot' above your bed?

[QUOTE=CerebralJazz85;1351554][quote=Silent_wings;1351507]
    LOL. Apparently, they were on the Casablanca label, home of KISS.

OK, what's the next confession - - that you've seen them a half dozen times and had a 3 X 6 poster of the above 'pucker shot' above your bed?

Angel Rocks The 70's

The state of Intoxication (Simi Valley, CA)

LOL nope but I've seen Kiss many more times than that and I used to have a whole wall covered in Kiss pics. Acording to the LL that's almost as bad.
    Kathy

Please donate to the server fund

http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_wings View Post
    LOL nope but I've seen Kiss many more times than that and I used to have a whole wall covered in Kiss pics. Acording to the LL that's almost as bad.

KISS sure were glam, weren't they? I guess it's all perspective. Because for some reason, there's no shame in indulging a bit O' KISS. And, Paul Stanley could pucker up those red lips alongsided the best of 'em. But, KISS came out of the gates with that unbelievable debut album which showed that they could rock hard, with some class.....and style.'

I remember when I first saw a new school mate move to the rock (Okinawa). Long hair was popular during the 70's but this was the first guy who sported feathered hair. I could'nt even fathom a guy going to a hair salon back then especially when I was getting bowl cuts(yes you can picture the technique) from the mamasans on base (it was jr. high for me). I wanted to have my hair look like that too though. Look at any rocker from anywhere in the world and the first thing they do is to try and differentiate themselves from so called normal people witha different hairstyle. Music is a buisness if you're lucky enough and where would the Beatles be today if they weren't first directed to put on the newest should I say gay Paris fashions? I've had great long hair on a few occasions and I picked up alot of women as a result but like I told one girlfriend when she caught a guy staring at me years ago, I considered it a compliment that I was attractive to both sexes. C.J., what really jumped out at you first? Yes's music (if you were lucky) or the album covers when you first saw them. It's all about marketing, baby.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast