Google

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Altres: Forthcoming Gigs

the former Cosmicsurfer Ian Burdon's Avatar

Re: Altres: Forthcoming Gigs

I got to Bannermans around 9.15 last night and, armed with a pint of Caledonian 80/-, wandered through the bar to the performance area which was closed for the soundcheck. The sounds emerging were clearly not Altres but I assumed that they were in there somewhere. They weren't - I had walked passed them without noticing when I entered the bar! I spotted Brian and discovered that Altres weren't on until 11.30 or so. More beer was required.

I didn't catch which of the other bands were which in terms of names but the first one was interesting, if a little ramshackle, but with an excellent drummer; the second were duff - or at least the front man was right up himself - and far, far too loud for the space. Ted Nugent used to say that if it's too loud then you're too old, in which case I am in my dotage. More Caley 80 was required.

And then they were on: the audience grew noticeably larger (and older) and hippy tendencies emerged as one or two of us started swaying to the electro-vibe of Altres.

This was the second time that I'd seen Altres and this time they had the time to be more expansive and also had Electra along on vocals. The language filters on Yesfans means that I probably can't tell you that they were abso----inglutely fan----ingtastic but hey, what are a few asterisks between friends?

I wrote last time that to imagine Altres you have to think of Timewind era Klaus Schultz tossed together with some Floyd Live at Pompeii. With Electra on board you have to throw into the mix a little Jefferson Airplane and Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies too. I'm not quite sure how much was stream of consciousness and how much was rehearsed but it was excellent. About half an hour into the set I noticed that the guys from the second support band were standing open mouthed and awstruck by the talent on the stage in front of them. Good!

Thanks guys - great gig.
    Last edited by Ian Burdon; 05-25-2007 at 07:46 AM.
    This individual's sentience has been removed due to a terms of use violation

Ian, firstly thanks for coming along last night, it was great to see you and sorry for not getting as full a chance to chat as there were many folk there I hadn't seen for a while. Secondly, thanks for the glowing review, we really enjoyed playing the gig and were quite overwhelmed by the response from the audience.

Electra had never actually tried that first track before at all, all streamed out. She's a star. She sang with Twelfth Night years ago and there is a famous Electra tape.

Hope to see you soon regarding recording.

Cheers,

Brian

I should have added that I bought a cracking double disc retrospective cd - Tripping the Dark Fantastic - at the gig for a whole £5 and I've been playing it all morning. You should all try and get hold of a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicsurfer View Post
    I should have added that I bought a cracking double disc retrospective cd - Tripping the Dark Fantastic - at the gig for a whole £5 and I've been playing it all morning. You should all try and get hold of a copy.
    A sale!!!!

Brian

Super Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Altres View Post
    A sale!!!!

Brian
    The cheque's in the post, Brian. Who's post is another matter!

I got to Bannermans around 9.15 last night and, armed with a pint of Caledonian 80/-, wandered through the bar to the performance area which was closed for the soundcheck. The sounds emerging were clearly not Altres but I assumed that they were in there somewhere. They weren't - I had walked passed them without noticing when I entered the bar! I spotted Brian and discovered that Altres weren't on until 11.30 or so. More beer was required.

I didn't catch which of the other bands were which in terms of names but the first one was interesting, if a little ramshackle, but with an excellent drummer; the second were duff - or at least the front man was right up himself - and far, far too loud for the space. Ted Nugent used to say that if it's too loud then you're too old, in which case I am in my dotage. More Caley 80 was required.

And then they were on: the audience grew noticeably larger (and older) and hippy tendencies emerged as one or two of us started swaying to the electro-vibe of Altres.

This was the second time that I'd seen Altres and this time they had the time to be more expansive and also had Electra along on vocals. The language filters on Yesfans means that I probably can't tell you that they were abso----inglutely fan----ingtastic but hey, what are a few asterisks between friends?

I wrote last time that to imagine Altres you have to think of Timewind era Klaus Schultz tossed together with some Floyd Live at Pompeii. With Electra on board you have to throw into the mix a little Jefferson Airplane and Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies too. I'm not quite sure how much was stream of consciousness and how much was rehearsed but it was excellent. About half an hour into the set I noticed that the guys from the second support band were standing open mouthed and awstruck by the talent on the stage in front of them. Good!

Thanks guys - great gig.
    Thanks for the great review, Ian! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and were able to see Altres again!

Ian, firstly thanks for coming along last night, it was great to see you and sorry for not getting as full a chance to chat as there were many folk there I hadn't seen for a while. Secondly, thanks for the glowing review, we really enjoyed playing the gig and were quite overwhelmed by the response from the audience.

Electra had never actually tried that first track before at all, all streamed out. She's a star. She sang with Twelfth Night years ago and there is a famous Electra tape.

Hope to see you soon regarding recording.

Cheers,

Brian
    Glad to hear the gig went so well, Brian! I'm sure there will be many more gigs in your future.

Originally from East New York, Brooklyn; now going native in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania!

Brian...any chance you'd play the States? (crossing fingers)
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. -- Hex

She's an equal opportunity offender, a societal wildcard. You can't control her, only hope to contain her, even then she refuses to be possessed. If she were a coin, you would spend her, unwillingly. If she were an animal, you'd free her to the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperatrix View Post
    Brian...any chance you'd play the States? (crossing fingers)
    I'm sure that they'd be happy to play the States so long as Brian didn't leave his power pack at home and the car didn't break down....

Hmmmm, the USA, we'd love to. Only problem is we're a bunch of middle aged bastards with wives and kids and stuff. Oh, and Ian's right, I'd forget stuff.

Brian

Avatar by Mrs. crotale2112 Scottie's Avatar

Hmmmm, the USA, we'd love to. Only problem is we're a bunch of middle aged bastards with wives and kids and stuff. Oh, and Ian's right, I'd forget stuff.

Brian
    So are a few other bands I can think of that will remain nameless.

I remain patiently waiting on the side lines until that may happen.

Glad the gig went off so well Brian! Great review Ian!
    "It is music's lofty mission to shed light on the depths of the human heart"...
    Robert A. Schumann, 1810-1856

A review, from Andy Garibaldi, ex of Lotus Records and C&D Compact Discs and currently of Dead Earnest.

ALTRES w/ special guest ELECTRA - Bannermans, Edinburgh 24-05-07

The last time the electronic/guitar band played here was way back in the days of the Full Moon Club, and tonight marked their first appearance in Edinburgh since then (actually it wasn't ). Recently the band has undergone something of a renaissance, gathering together a bunch of archive and more recent recordings for a double self-pressed CD, an doing a couple of live concerts where their method of structure and improv has seen the added asset of the completely improvised percussion playing of Cath Costello, providing an altogether extra dimension to the band. So, it was always going to be interesting seeing how the quintet was going to perform and sound tonight, since an even greater extra dimension was to be provided, courtesy of the guest vocals of Electra, one of the most underestimated voices in rock and indie music today.

However, with Cath out of action due to flu, the quartet came to Edinburgh and Electra came too. Set up on stage, with mic at the ready, stage front, the previous band had elected to leave the drum kit set up, so, while Altres began proceedings with a dense cloud of drifting electronics (actually it was my guitar ) that soon led to a trademark sequencer run and the band gradually coming together in a hail of choppy guitar chords, expansive rhythms, treated guitar fx and spiraling keys, Electra sat behind the kit and listened. You see, Electra has performed live with Altres before, most notable at last year's West Scottish coast gig, but essentially, while she's heard their music, has had no rehearsals with them, has got nothing prepared and is singing during the times in the set when the inspiration strikes.

Thus it was that the second track was the first on which she stood up, looking replsendent, and moved stage front and started to sing - or rather speak - and sing. The track opened with this clock-like electro-percussive ticking rhythm that was soon embellished with an equally paced electronic backing, as the band slowly built up the layers of sound and the density enshrouded the venue like mist from the sea. Over this, Electra provided a breathy soundtrack that related a scenario based around the USA and which was ineterspersed with wordless vocals and sung lines, all completely improvised over the Altres music, and utterly spellbinding.

From there on, the Altres wand worked its magic through tracks with a Middle Eastern sound, one track that strayed really close to synth-meets-trance and was so strong with all the layers that were being played on top of the core rhythmic foundations. Electra sang and soared ona couple of the tracks, becoming ever more mesmerising from a vocal and visual standpoint as it went on, perfectly in keeping with the music and remarkably flowing through the airwaves to captivate a totally appreciative audience.

Altres ended the set with the traditional King Crimson-goes-synth rock styled finale as the ferocity finally kicked in and the band delivered one storm-force finale, Electra electing to listen and watch this time around (she joined in on this one at the first observatory gig, to great success, but not tonight).
    Overall, magical was just one word to use - amazing, inspired, enjoyable, hypnotic, powerful and impassioned were others. A remarkble night's music and singing, and it now remains to look forward to this year's West Coast gig to see the full sextet in action - and that is going to be an experience to be remembered, for sure. I only hope I get to see it.

A review, from Andy Garibaldi, ex of Lotus Records and C&D Compact Discs and currently of Dead Earnest.

ALTRES w/ special guest ELECTRA - Bannermans, Edinburgh 24-05-07

The last time the electronic/guitar band played here was way back in the days of the Full Moon Club, and tonight marked their first appearance in Edinburgh since then (actually it wasn't ). Recently the band has undergone something of a renaissance, gathering together a bunch of archive and more recent recordings for a double self-pressed CD, an doing a couple of live concerts where their method of structure and improv has seen the added asset of the completely improvised percussion playing of Cath Costello, providing an altogether extra dimension to the band. So, it was always going to be interesting seeing how the quintet was going to perform and sound tonight, since an even greater extra dimension was to be provided, courtesy of the guest vocals of Electra, one of the most underestimated voices in rock and indie music today.

However, with Cath out of action due to flu, the quartet came to Edinburgh and Electra came too. Set up on stage, with mic at the ready, stage front, the previous band had elected to leave the drum kit set up, so, while Altres began proceedings with a dense cloud of drifting electronics (actually it was my guitar ) that soon led to a trademark sequencer run and the band gradually coming together in a hail of choppy guitar chords, expansive rhythms, treated guitar fx and spiraling keys, Electra sat behind the kit and listened. You see, Electra has performed live with Altres before, most notable at last year's West Scottish coast gig, but essentially, while she's heard their music, has had no rehearsals with them, has got nothing prepared and is singing during the times in the set when the inspiration strikes.

Thus it was that the second track was the first on which she stood up, looking replsendent, and moved stage front and started to sing - or rather speak - and sing. The track opened with this clock-like electro-percussive ticking rhythm that was soon embellished with an equally paced electronic backing, as the band slowly built up the layers of sound and the density enshrouded the venue like mist from the sea. Over this, Electra provided a breathy soundtrack that related a scenario based around the USA and which was ineterspersed with wordless vocals and sung lines, all completely improvised over the Altres music, and utterly spellbinding.

From there on, the Altres wand worked its magic through tracks with a Middle Eastern sound, one track that strayed really close to synth-meets-trance and was so strong with all the layers that were being played on top of the core rhythmic foundations. Electra sang and soared ona couple of the tracks, becoming ever more mesmerising from a vocal and visual standpoint as it went on, perfectly in keeping with the music and remarkably flowing through the airwaves to captivate a totally appreciative audience.

Altres ended the set with the traditional King Crimson-goes-synth rock styled finale as the ferocity finally kicked in and the band delivered one storm-force finale, Electra electing to listen and watch this time around (she joined in on this one at the first observatory gig, to great success, but not tonight).
    Overall, magical was just one word to use - amazing, inspired, enjoyable, hypnotic, powerful and impassioned were others. A remarkble night's music and singing, and it now remains to look forward to this year's West Coast gig to see the full sextet in action - and that is going to be an experience to be remembered, for sure. I only hope I get to see it.

What a wonderful review, Brian! You should be very proud of what you have accomplished up to this point!

It's too bad you aren't able to come to the States at this time... it would be great to hear you all play!

Good luck with your next gig and all future gigs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCTJw6L7txo

Click the link to see us performing Misappearance at Bannermans.

Brian
    Last edited by Altres; 06-05-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Originally from East New York, Brooklyn; now going native in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania!

Brian
    That was great! Thanks, Brian.

She's an equal opportunity offender, a societal wildcard. You can't control her, only hope to contain her, even then she refuses to be possessed. If she were a coin, you would spend her, unwillingly. If she were an animal, you'd free her to the wilderness.

I'm sure that they'd be happy to play the States so long as Brian didn't leave his power pack at home and the car didn't break down....

You need representation and proper funding! I know LA would love you guys.

Very ethereal Brian. Lovely!
    And now I'm listening to Magiscule Beach.
    Feed homeless animals for FREE! Just click on the PURPLE button.

"In our gardens repose the remains of those that possess beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and the virtues of man without his vices: our pets."

- Lord Byron

Sheila

Brian
    Thank you so very much for this, Brian! You all did a great job and Electra's voice is really amazing!

I'm embedding this one so it's easier for people to just click on it... hope you don't mind.

Nice tracks Brian, I love Misappearance. When are you in Yorkshire next?

For more photo's of Altres at the Dundee Food and Flower Festival go to Electra's homepage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast