Yeah it was during the Big Generator rehearsals. This photo was in one of my guitar magazines and also Yes was on Entertainment Tonight one time and it showed Trevor in front of a big chalkboard.
I guess the guitar is a Spectrum, based on the location of the toggle switch.
He's pictured with a 12-string Spectrum (must be a custom as they aren't listed in any catalogs and I've never seen one for sale) on the cover of a guitar magazine from 1987 and also inside the Big Generator tour programme.
I wonder if the photograph was taken during Yes rehearsals. Or, could it have been done at St. Louis Music while he was visiting there? Has anyone else seen any pictures of TR or Yes in front of a chalkboard?
I like the Bon Jovi picture better.
Feed homeless animals for FREE! Just click on the PURPLE button.
"In our gardens repose the remains of those that possess beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and the virtues of man without his vices: our pets."
- Lord Byron
Tony Kaye was in that picture also. It was in Guitar World, September 1987.
Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough.
She's an equal opportunity offender, a societal wildcard. You can't control her, only hope to contain her, even then she refuses to be possessed. If she were a coin, you would spend her, unwillingly. If she were an animal, you'd free her to the wilderness.
Last edited by YESOLA; 10-31-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Listen to Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio (www.deliciousagony.com).
"Name one band who only plays their new album, and no old songs from their past catalogue - I can't think of one. Didn't Yes play Roundabout as an encore on the Tales tour?" - BillGuitar
Cindy, do you play the guitar at all? I just wondered if you ever got the urge (no, not with Trevor) to try it out?
I have that Sept 1987 Guitar World but forgot about it.
The guitar in the black and white picture is a Westone Spectrum FX, which has the same bayonet mount neck system as the blue Pantera that he is often pictured with. I had a white Spectrum FX for a while but I sold it because the electronics had been replaced and it was thus not original and collectable.
The Spectrum FX' main feature was its unique switching system, capable of true Les Paul and Strat sounds out of the same guitar. The humbuckers had an 'unbalanced coil' design which meant that one coil was about 75% and the other was about 25% of the total output. The advantage to this arrangement is that when you split/tap the pickup leaving the more powerful coil active, the level does not drop off so it matches with the middle single coil pickup. Other 'super strat' guitars that feature humbuckers with coil tap suffer from the loss of volume when splitting the coil. This unbalanced coil arrangement was a brilliant idea from Tom Presley of St. Louis Music. To this day, the big aftermarked pickup manufacturers like Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio do not make pickups like this. However, boutique makers like Lindy Fralin have recognized the wisdom in this design and offer similar products. I read somewhere that Rabin had used a Spectrum on some recordings (maybe Big Generator...I don't remember) because of its diversity of tones.
Notice on the magazine cover that this custom 12-string Westone Spectrum has 'Trevor Rabin' on the truss rod cover. Obviously a custom.
On the Westone price list, the picture of Sammy Hagar's bass player is interesting. He looks kind of like Klaus Kinski.
Bon Jovi looks totally wasted!
I love that cover. Thanks for sharing it, Cindy. I had never seen it before.
yesshows.wordpress.com: Download & discuss live and rare Yes music!
"Yes fans want to hear music, so you do it..." - Tony Kaye on the formation of Circa: