Google

Thread: Pedals, pedals, pedals, pedals

Pedals, pedals, pedals, pedals

Hallo people,
    Was on Chris' site recently and saw some blurb on Taurus/Dutron pedals that he has. Can anyone tell me more about these, are they connected with his bass guitar or are they a separate thing altogether.
    I've seen him on the footage where they are playing America and at one point he is pumping away on them furiously but when I listened to the CD version, I heard no discernable difference in his sound at all.
    Can somebody put me right and tell me a bit more about what these pedals actually do??

www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk

I wish that life could be just like a photograph
    One moment captured as you laugh your perfect laugh.

stevepenn
    Guest/Lurker

Re: Pedals, pedals, pedals, pedals

The pedals, which I believe are really old Italian made effects, are actually no longer on stage but off to the side. At least they weren't last time I looked. He uses a stomp-like pedal box with preprogrammed effects buttons that are patched to the pedals. He made that change several years ago. He talks about it in the Star Licks video and in a coupla other interviews since. Hey, I just double checked his website and apparently this is still the way he does things. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairyhaw
    Hallo people,
    Was on Chris' site recently and saw some blurb on Taurus/Dutron pedals that he has. Can anyone tell me more about these, are they connected with his bass guitar or are they a separate thing altogether.
    I've seen him on the footage where they are playing America and at one point he is pumping away on them furiously but when I listened to the CD version, I heard no discernable difference in his sound at all.
    Can somebody put me right and tell me a bit more about what these pedals actually do??
    Here's a thread and picture about the Moog Taurus bass pedals. They can be heard during the first 5 minutes of Awaken and during Wurm. Aslo in Future Times.

http://www.yesfans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5347

As for Dutron, I don't know. Mutron is an older, out-of-business brand of various effects pedals, though.

Hmmm, the plot thickens!!
    Cheers for that, if only I had a direct line to CS though!!

His pedalboard simply activates the Moog Taurus "keys"/pedals like any synth. So, it is a tone generator, a Moog synthesizer. You simply play it with your feet. Look at the buttons on the pedalboard and you can see the one octave arrangement:

http://chrissquire.com/cs_equipeffects.html

I'm positive Dutron is a typo or the name of the pedalboard builder (company or individual).

In a live setting, he may play them, he may not. I've seen both cases many times even on the same songs. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by PO View Post
    His pedalboard simply activates the Moog Taurus "keys"/pedals like any synth. So, it is a tone generator, a Moog synthesizer. You simply play it with your feet. Look at the buttons on the pedalboard and you can see the one octave arrangement:

http://chrissquire.com/cs_equipeffects.html

I'm positive Dutron is a typo or the name of the pedalboard builder (company or individual).

In a live setting, he may play them, he may not. I've seen both cases many times even on the same songs. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of mystery.

Yep, it's a typo. The bass pedal unit he used originally was a DEWTRON 'Mister Bassman' just like the one Mike Rutherford used before the Taurus came on the market. You can see Jon Anderson playing it with his hands on Howe/Kaye era footage, most notably the lead melody on 'Yours Is No Disgrace'.. And As far as I know these were made in England. All the parts are of UK manufacture, anyway.

Best Whooshes!

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

First time on Yesfans in months and I find someone has replied to a thread I don't even remember starting NINE YEARS ago.

That's not to deny the fact that it's a very useful post MIMM! Cheers for the info, much appreciated. I suspect these pedals will be even rarer than a mint condition set of Taurus pedals now.

Welcome back !

And don't leave it a year next time...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

These thread resurrections are usually on the bittersweet side .

None of the YFs that replied are still posting , and we lost Paul ( PO ) it must
    be 6 or 7 years ago .
    Beatings will continue until morale improves

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool

SR Mega Yesfan

I'll never forget the horrified looks of frustration on Cruise to the Edge 2013, as Chris was trying to use his peddles with the ship rocking back and forth... Nor the frustration of Howe as his slide guitar entered and exited the stage......
    Matt

Tom, Bert, Bill??? Which troll are you today?

"Hippies please use side door"

"It is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions"

I'm not sure who's more dangerous, the band or the fans.....