Google

Thread: Why No Rhino Remaster of Yessongs?

rockin' in the free world pauli's Avatar

Why No Rhino Remaster of Yessongs?

Here's one for you SuperInsaneYesFans who know all and see all: Since Rhino has been re-mastering the Yes albums more or less in order, what happened to Yessongs?
    The Gastwirt version is okay, especially compared to putting my old LPs on the old turntable, but based on what they have done with the other albums I would imagine that Rhino could do a great clean-up on Yessongs. And I wouldn't even need bonus tracks on this one to get another copy!
    And I guess this question could be extended to Yesshows, although I'd like more tracks this time...

Cheers - Paul
    One likes to believe in the freedom of music...

Everything will turn out all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, it's not the end

stevepenn
    Guest/Lurker

Re: Why No Rhino Remaster of Yessongs?

Great question. I've been wondering the same.

Mega Insane Yesfan

Sissy Re: Why No Rhino Remaster of Yessongs?

Could it be the "Live Boxset" that rhinhole is scheduled to release.I believe the release date is this summer,I may be wrong on the release date. I do believe that this is why.Then again,I still wonder why everything is being remastered again,$$$.

Banned

Did we ever get an answer, update or resolution to this question?

Has Rhino gone ahead and done the job, or are we still awaiting Yessongs from them?

Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar

Rhino has not done a remaster of this (or Yesshows) and I don't think they have come forth with an explanation.

However...and I understand this is a minority opinion, I quite like the way Yessongs sounds on CD. All you have to do is boost up the bass and treble a bit on your stereo and voila! Yessongs sounds a lot better....either the original release or the 1994 remaster.
    Last edited by CybrKhatru; 06-22-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/mattbrownhq

and the leaves turn from red to brown...til they're trodden down....

Quote Originally Posted by CybrKhatru View Post
    Rhino has not done a remaster of this (or Yesshows) and I don't think they has come forth with an explanation.

However...and I understand this is a minority opinion, I quite like the way Yessongs sounds on CD. All you have to do is boost up the bass and treble a bit on your stereo and voila! Yessongs sounds a lot better....either the original release or the 1994 remaster.

so let me get this straight - if I turn up the bass on that CD I'll hear violas? I'm sure it's just a Mellotron you're hearing, mate!
    Yesshows attended (22): 4/84, 1/88, 7/91 (x2), 8/94, 8/98, 10/99, 8/00, 8/01, 8/02, 10/02, 4/04, 5/04, 9/04 (x2), 12/08, 7/09, 6/10, 3/11 (x2), 7/12, 4/13 || Yes member gigs: Steve solo ’00 [w/GTR ’86], [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12] | Jon solo '14 | Jon & Alan charity gig ’99 | Alan drum clinic ’89 | Bill drum clinics ’83 & ’85 [w/Crimso ’95] | Patrick solo ’98, ’11 [w/Moodies ’86 (x2), ’88] | Rick solo ’03, ’09 | Geoff [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12]

Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by relayeire View Post
    so let me get this straight - if I turn up the bass on that CD I'll hear violas? I'm sure it's just a Mellotron you're hearing, mate!
    You may be right. I may be crazy.
    http://www.myspace.com/mattbrownhq

and the leaves turn from red to brown...til they're trodden down....

Quote Originally Posted by CybrKhatru View Post
    You may be right. I may be crazy.
    but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...
    Yesshows attended (22): 4/84, 1/88, 7/91 (x2), 8/94, 8/98, 10/99, 8/00, 8/01, 8/02, 10/02, 4/04, 5/04, 9/04 (x2), 12/08, 7/09, 6/10, 3/11 (x2), 7/12, 4/13 || Yes member gigs: Steve solo ’00 [w/GTR ’86], [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12] | Jon solo '14 | Jon & Alan charity gig ’99 | Alan drum clinic ’89 | Bill drum clinics ’83 & ’85 [w/Crimso ’95] | Patrick solo ’98, ’11 [w/Moodies ’86 (x2), ’88] | Rick solo ’03, ’09 | Geoff [w/Asia ’92, ’07 (x2), ’09, ’12]

Yessongs wasn't that well recorded in the first place. If they futzed with the sound too much, it would only sound worse. I love it the way it is.
    "I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk." Stevie Ray Vaughan

Peter Grant: "Hello, I'm Peter Grant, I manage Led Zeppelin."

Bob Dylan: "Hey man, I don't bother you with my problems!"

Mega Insane Yesfan Doctor Flang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by melllotron View Post
    Yessongs wasn't that well recorded in the first place. If they futzed with the sound too much, it would only sound worse. I love it the way it is.
    I think the japanese vinyl replica HDCD is the best version so far IMHO. And that isn't too good, either...

There have always been some curious sonic flaws on Yessongs. On the intro of "Siberian Khatru" the sound squashes between both speakers, and the over-use of the boomy ambience sound is making the whole mix a bit echoey messy. And i don't like the phasing effect at all on "All Good People".

Remix, please!

Mega Yesfan

It seems around 94 they Atlantic remastered everything through Classic Yes.

I still have the original version of Yessongs on CD from 87.

Yessongs, Yesterdays, Yesshows, Classic Yes, and Big Generator missed the 03-04 remastering.

I wish they would remaster. I would buy some of them.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan Andrea YouAndI's Avatar

I only have Yessongs on LP, because at the time I didn't want to spend $30 for the CD packages I saw. What's the best-sounding American CD version available?

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea YouAndI View Post
    I only have Yessongs on LP, because at the time I didn't want to spend $30 for the CD packages I saw. What's the best-sounding American CD version available?
    The 1994 Joe Gastwirt remaster sounds good to me.

Mega Insane Yesfan Doctor Flang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    I think the japanese vinyl replica HDCD is the best version so far IMHO.
    I'm ashamed of that post. The compression is horrible on the japanese remaster.

The original Atlantic is the best so far. But yes, a careful remix is what i want.

Pounding out the Devil's sermon Meng's Avatar

But yes, a careful remix is what i want.
    Paging Steven Wilson ...
    PeteW. Good without god.

Bristol 9 Sep 72; Bristol 18 Nov 73; Bristol 5 & 7 May 75; Wembley Oct 77; Wembley 28 Oct 78 (Evening show); Bristol 16 Nov 80; Birmingham 24 Oct 89; Wembley Oct 89; Birmingham Jun 91; Wembley 29 Jun 91; Nottingham 1 Mar 98; Birmingham 13 Apr 98; London 20 Feb 00; Cardiff 7 Dec 01; Birmingham 3 Jul 03; Birmingham 18 Jun 04; Bristol 23 Nov 09; Birmingham 11 Nov 11; Bristol 16 Nov 11; Birmingham 4 May 14; Bristol 11 May 14

life long YES PUNK!!! Ah, Yeah :) wedge's Avatar

I think the japanese vinyl replica HDCD is the best version so far IMHO. And that isn't too good, either...

There have always been some curious sonic flaws on Yessongs. On the intro of "Siberian Khatru" the sound squashes between both speakers, and the over-use of the boomy ambience sound is making the whole mix a bit echoey messy. And i don't like the phasing effect at all on "All Good People".

Remix, please!
    i had the original 2-cd Atlantic version sold in the long-box back in the late 80's. sounded horrendous, especially when played on headphones.
    the 'room ambience' mics that were mixed in did nothing but create an 'arena slap-back' echo delay to the recording, and it would
    make you nauseous if you listened for too long. i have the mid-90's version i just got 2nd-hand recently. sounds ok, but not as full
    as the original vinyl version. i have fairly minty-fresh versions of both the stock & promo/DJ original vinyl, so i just put them
    straight to cd-r for myself, and i'm quite happy that way. and the phasing that you would like to see removed probably cant be.
    if you listen to any official or bootleg Live Yes recording, there is always phasing going on with the way the drums are mic'd,
    so thats just how it 'went to tape' for the ages, i guess.there is a Mono version of Yessongs that was pressed-up for AM-radio stations.
    i have mp3 of some of it. it actually sounds louder & more full/midrange than the standard version out there. i would like to see that
    put to CD someday, but i dont think that will ever happen in my life-time; if ever. and i used to have the Japanese 2-cd of Yesshows
    from the late-80's. it sounded EXACTLY as the vinyl did. kinda trebly with not much low-end, but extremely accurate to the vinyl.
    i have the Atlantic remaster from the mid-90's as well. nothing much different in that, either. but i did just recently get a US Promo
    of the original vinyl issue. i compared it to my 'stock' copy i've had since 1981. the groove-cut looks deeper & darker than my stock copy, and
    when i played it, it sounded much bigger & fuller than the stock copy. but it still sounds thinner than most 'unofficial' / alternate
    recordings i have of the shows it was compiled from.
    FIGHT WAR / NOT WARS