PDA

View Full Version : How to play Yes music

arjid
08-17-2003, 10:15 AM
What I'm suggesting here may already exist. I think there needs to be a forum, or place, where those of us who are trying to learn to play Yes music (keyboards, guitar, bass, drums, even vocals) can get together and ask each other questions, or (this isn't me) demonstrate our considerable knowledge of music by answering questions posed by others.

Personally, as an example, I'm currently struggling to figure out the organ solo in close to the edge (the big church organ sound right after the "2 million people barely satisfied" bit). Unfortunately that part isn't in the big Yes Songbook. And the only posting I could find on the net was definitely incorrect.

If such a forum already exists please let me know.

Thanks for listening.

upbgirl
08-17-2003, 10:43 AM
excellent questions!! good idea, too.. i thought we had a forum for exactly that, but since the crash last week, i dont even remember where it was or of it is still even there!!

yes, you will find that the music written in many places is wrong!! i learned this for myself just a few months ago..

there is a reason all the tull books just say 'ad lib solo'!! [i play flute]
it means
'this stuff is too hard to write down, so figure it out YOURSELF!'

good luck, and when i have a bit more time, i will check into that for ya..
look around
make yourself at home here on yesfans.com
and best of luck on that organ solo!
[geeze! ya picked a pretty hard one, there!!]

deelovesyes
08-17-2003, 11:00 AM
The forum is called Yesfans members Music and art

http://www.yesfans.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=268

You can probebly post all your questions there

Dee

1yesfan
08-17-2003, 02:10 PM
From the YESMUSIC forum off the mai page you will see...

Yesfans Play Instruments
Play in a Band? Need Help purchasing a good guitar? Equipment issues, media issues for recording your music? General area for our musically inclined Yesfans.

leqin
08-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Backwards - no seriously and I jest not - Yes music sounds absolutely incredible played back to front and you would be amazed at some of the things you hear.

As example:-

Record 'Siberian Khatru' from your CTTE CD and store it as a wave file on your hardisk.

Now open that wavefile in a wavefile editor such as Cool Edit 2000 or Sonic Foundry Sound Forge and play it.

When you reach the section of lyric that says hold out and hold on pause the play and drag and highlight so that you only hear the section containing those words when you restart play and once you happy you have only that little bit copy it onto the clipboard.

Now create a new wave file and paste the clipboard into it.

Now drag highlight just the section that says hold out and and reverse it so that it will be heard backwards.

Save the file and name it NIGEL OULTON.wav

Now then if you ever forget what my name is you only need to play that file and Jon Anderson will sing my name for you.

or

Do the same with 'Hold On' of the 90125 CD and this time do the same thing with just the bit of lyric that says hold on and then create a new file and paste it and reverse it and then paste it again so that hold on is added onto the end - save it as NIGEL OULTON v2-90125.wav

Now if your not quite sure that what you heard Jon sing in Siberian Khatru was my name then you only need to hear Trevor Rabin sing it in Changes to confirm it.

PO
08-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Are you including the synthesizer runs that are right before the next section? I'll assume you are. We'll try to post answers in the Yesfans Play Instruments section.

For a teaser try this:

Left hand: hold down B octaves in the lower registers. Keep holding them.

Right hand: play this triad, high to low - E-Db-Bb
Then change to E-B-Ab.

You will recognize these as the last two chords prior to the synthesizer runs. Voice them to taste, and viola!