PDA

View Full Version : A new project for Oliver

Camphire
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
A new collaboration with Guitarist, Gordon Giltrap! This from Gordon's website:

New Album with Oliver Wakeman

This year is going to be a bit special, as I have invited Oliver Wakeman, son of Rick to be my collaborator on a project. I’m delighted to say that he has said “YES” Please forgive the obvious connection with a certain band!

http://giltrap.co.uk/images/news/giltrap-3070-6.jpg
To that end I have started the painful process of composing material for a new more rock orientated album, with almost a return to my Prog Rock Roots of the 70’s.I’m currently working on a piece dedicated to Hilary called 'One For Billie' that I started nearly 20 years ago, and which in its original form is on YOUTUBE. What I have done is basically to de-construct the piece and start afresh with new ideas and a new approach which I believe has improved the piece beyond recognition, whilst retaining the essence of the original.

I have to confess that the older I get the longer it takes to write this stuff. Maybe it’s to do with the passing years or maybe just the desire to create as near a perfect piece as possible. That intention has always been there within everything I write, but not everything has that “magic” quality to it like Down the River, Heartsong or Camber Sands, but one keeps trying to aim for the stars and by so doing one hopefully creates work of lasting value.

With Oliver’s input I’m certain it will make the creative journey, sometimes PERILOUS (sorry about that), so much easier and satisfying.

http://giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=news

Olias of BurryPort
02-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Yes I heard about this from Olivers mum (name dropping !!!!!)

Camphire
03-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Oliver tweeted last night that he had a productive day in the studio working on a song he wrote after one of the Yes gigs while he was still touring with them.
I can wait to hear this!

DREAMER
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Oliver tweeted last night that he had a productive day in the studio working on a song he wrote after one of the Yes gigs while he was still touring with them.
I can wait to hear this!

Yes, I CAN wait to hear this too! ;)

Camphire
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Can't wait!!

downbyariver
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Do you guys think this project will include some vocals? A lot of Oliver's stuff is all instrumental, and so I haven't really pursued getting it. I like instrumental bridges on songs with vocals, and even an instrumental song or two on albums that otherwise have songs with vocals, but all instrumental albums aren't really my thing. Which of course isn't to say that there's anything wrong with them (Some can be quite good)! I just like songs with words in them to make up the bulk of any given album I purchase. :)

Camphire
04-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Oliver Tweeted this yesterday:

Busy preparing the promo material for the Giltrap/Wakeman tour in October. We hope to be able to announce the initial dates very soon.

Internaut
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I saw that... it seems he and Gordon are staying on top of this project. I know Oliver always works with people that have good chemistry, and it seems it will be the case again judging by the positive attitude in his tweets and FB comments

I so hope they get over here, even a couple gigs on the east coast, like NY area...