PDA

View Full Version : Whats Oliver up to at the moment ?

Olias of BurryPort
11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
any news on Olivers current work.sorry to lazy to trawl everywhere.

Altres
11-14-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.thelope.com/images/08-12-02N-005.jpg

He's head of promotions at Yuppet Enterprises.

Brian

luvyesmusic
11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
He says hello and is currently drinking a spot of tea.

Camphire
11-14-2011, 01:38 PM
About 6'2

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/olivernews2011.html#7Nov

roseannhurley
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes there is lots of news..Oliver has been very busy!!

I can tell you all that there is much activity in the way of Oliver's new album 'Cultural Vandals' He is certainly a busy man. All of the members of the band who played on "Coming to Town" will be again playing on this one.

Oliver sends this news to all of you:
It has been a little while since I last wrote about the new album and so it now feels like the right time to start letting you know how the 'Cultural Vandals' album is shaping up!
The idea for this album came about during the last rehearsals I had with my band in late 2007 when we were preparing to head out to Poland to record our DVD 'Coming to Town'. I had started writing some songs after the release of the 'Mother's Ruin' CD in 2006 and I had recently finished writing a song called Cultural Vandals which seemed like a really strong title for an album.

I asked the band to have a listen and learn it in order for us to have a play through it in a rushed quick rehearsal. It sounded pretty good, which was really encouraging and made me decide to put together a whole rock album.

We went off and recorded the DVD and then in the beginning of 2008 I got the Yes call and so my band had to take a back seat, especially when the Strawbs called as well!
During the intervening years on the road I continued to write lots of material and I found myself in a position in January to go through the music I'd written and work out which songs would be best for a new solo album. I had about 15 to choose from and after a bit of time I decided on 9 for the album.

After listening to these tracks in great detail, I decided that I liked the songs but I really wanted to re-write and re-arrange a lot of the music. I must say that this has been great fun and I have really enjoyed polishing these songs from their original demo form to the pre-studio state they are in now.

I have been working pretty much solidly on this album since January (just taking 5 weeks out for the Yes Rite of Spring tour) and I have spent many happy days recording guide vocals with Paul Manzi (singer from the OWB DVD) and receiving guitar parts from Dave Pearce via email. Paul has finished all his guide vocals now and I am just waiting for a few more files from Dave and I will be able to finish the rough mix.

All this work is being done so I can listen to the album in great detail and make sure that it is as good as it can be. I will then go to the studio to re-record the vocals and any extra guitar parts, that might need re-doing. I will also record the bass and of course the drums parts.
The bass and drum performances will be carried out by Paul Brown and Dave Wagstaffe respectively. Both also appeared on the OWB DVD. For more details on the band members you can go to the OWB link above where you can learn more about these great musicians.

The album itself will be a mixture of different styles and lengths of songs but I don't really like to give away song titles or descriptions before an album is released because that way no-one will have any preconceived ideas on how it will sound! The initial reaction from the few people who have heard the songs is extremely positive with a number of companies being interested in the project.

We are hoping that in the very near future we will be able to give more details of recording schedules and tentative release information."

From Rose:

I do know that Oliver has since been working on another project which is coming along nicely but more news on that at a later date. That project is very exciting..But like I said, more on that at a later date. But you can be assured that there is a flurry of activity from Oliver Wakeman - and you will see the results of that activity very soon and it will be well worth the wait.

I will make sure that all information is posted on the official Oliver Wakeman Band Facebook page in regards to the album and any other projects Oliver is involved with. Also, feel free to keep those questions to Oliver coming on the Facebook page. Oliver answers questions on a monthly basis and yes - Oliver answers all the questions himself..and it is Oliver's only OFFICIAL Facebook page. :)

Cheers,

Rose Hurley

luvyesmusic
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
A big hello to Oliver and continued success and health for you and yours. Looking forward to the new c.d. and F.B. might be well and fine but surely Oliver W. knows he has a legion of fans here on yesfans.com as well.. I know you can read Oliver, let's see you type here as well. Cheers! :-)

Internaut
11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Welcome Rose! Thanks so much for being Oliver's liason... So you're the one... we (the wife and I) sometimes suspected Ol was just writing in the third person on FB and the site... but now we know better...