PDA

View Full Version : A Huge Thanks to Oliver from Yesfans.

Camphire
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Official from Oliver Wakeman Website:

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/olivernews2011.html#9Apr

Thanks for helping Yes-Music to continue. I was so looking forward to your writing contributions on the next Yes record.

While I am disappointed at your departure from Yes I do look forward to your next project with Oliver Wakeman Band (and possibly Strawbs?)
You are a brilliant musician in your own right as well as a credit to your family name.

Warmest Regards
and all the best for the future.
X

KoniraThax
04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Bye, bye, mate. I shall remember you for your charming smile, kind contribution to me personally and all the time you kept the band going.

Camphire
04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Blue Meanies!!
http://i55.tinypic.com/2h3s9w4.jpg

maninthemoon
04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
He's a very likable young man. I wish him well and I would be happy to support his new project. I feel a bit bad for him.

yesanneyes
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I wish there was a "thank you" or something on Yesworld. It's like he was never there..... That doesn't seem right.

1yesfan
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree YW/The band should post some kind of thanks. Does't feel like there was any type of FOUL PLAY so to speak. Just didn't work out?

Camphire
04-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish there was a "thank you" or something on Yesworld. It's like he was never there..... That doesn't seem right.

Erased in an Orwellian fashion.

xlink_nz
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Wait for it - what his father has to say on this !

Maybe Oliver can be part of Anderson/Wakeman[s], Rabin project ?! ;-)

I'd still like to know the why he is out !!!

1yesfan
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Ok folks, lets not turn this thread into a messy thread about this or that.
I want to make this a simple thanks to Oliver for all he has done for YES over the last few years. He filled a big role for a big band. I personally got to spend time with him and the dude is the nicest guy in the world. I thought he did a great job while up on stage and I hope to see him down the road.
So Oliver this thread is for you man. Many thanks!!!!

bells of awaken
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Who knows what went on?
I'm sure he's grateful for the opportunity he was given and his CV is a little more impressive now.
If his career does nothing from here, at least he can always say he toured and played with Yes.
Good on ya Oliver, you done well!
Your move now!

1yesfan
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Does it really matter for us to know? Lets that give a huge thanks to the man for keeping the ride going for us fans.

1yesfan
04-09-2011, 08:57 PM
One door closes others open up!

maninthemoon
04-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Thank you Oliver!

rememberer
04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
I want to make this a simple thanks to Oliver for all he has done for YES over the last few years. He filled a big role for a big band. I personally got to spend time with him and the dude is the nicest guy in the world. I thought he did a great job while up on stage and I hope to see him down the road.

Hear, hear! :cheers:

Thanks again, Oliver! As much as I hope that Yes music endures in this world, I can hardly express how glad I've been to see no less than Rick's own son helping it to do so in his absence. Not only has that in itself been wonderfully encouraging to me, but you really did a great job of it as well!

I'm going to stay closer in touch and I hope that in the future I'll have more chances to see you live, whatever you're doing. All the best to you!

bells of awaken
04-09-2011, 09:09 PM
One door closes others open up!

Exactly!

and having just this last week gone through a similar situation albeit in the retail sector, i again affirm the benefits of staying positive.
If you've done your best thats all you can do.
Otherwise learn from it and....move on :-)

relayeire
04-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. Now we have official confirmation from the man himself on his own site. Unless, that is, some people think the site has been hacked as part of an elaborate hoax being played on us fans.

Just to recap, the press releases (at least two variations published in many outlets) regarding the new album we saw with Geoff pictured were legit. Oliver's Facebook page message, also questioned by many, bears almost identical wording to the OW site post; the latter having additional info. Hence, it too was legit. Good to have the facts confirmed.

Thanks.

witeskyn7
04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Thank you Oliver for helping to keep
one of my very favorite bands afloat
and for doing your best in keeping
the music as true as you could.

Thank You!

Kevin Still
04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Oliver! Your one heck of a musician! I admire your talents!

Andersonic
04-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Hmm...what to think of the title of his next album: "Oliver's next project will be finishing the writing and recording of his new band album provisionally titled 'Cultural Vandals'" Might this be altered to ' Cultural Bastards' perhaps?

Anyway, Oliver, thank you very much for your part in that strange band we all love but often wonder about what the *&% it is they're doing.

I think the main reason is from the business side; an official ex-Yes member back in the band who is also in Asia may attract 20 more attendees at a concert...stupid reason but hey, it's the music business.

Take your revenge with your band I say!

Wakey's #1 Fan
04-10-2011, 05:46 AM
I always loved Olli's solo albums...now that he isn't with the band anymore, I hope there'll be something coming in near future. His solo work is so great, I really recommend listening to his albums.

Yorkshire Square
04-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Thank you Oliver, for your contribution to Yes over the last three years.

Hope the future brings some great opportunities!

Borris
04-10-2011, 05:59 AM
I always loved Olli's solo albums...now that he isn't with the band anymore, I hope there'll be something coming in near future. His solo work is so great, I really recommend listening to his albums.

What's your favourite Nina? I have been thinking of trying an album of Wakeman jnr.

Wakey's #1 Fan
04-10-2011, 06:09 AM
What's your favourite Nina? I have been thinking of trying an album of Wakeman jnr.
Mother's Ruin, Jabberwocky and the Hound of the Baskervilles (with Clive Nolan) those three are brilliant.

Camphire
04-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Mother's Ruin is my favourite to date.

Internaut
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM

It's in my car this weekend.. In the Movies is next.. GREAT song

I think the best way to say THANKS is to support his solo career. As to Mother's Ruin, go to his site and read the reviews.. my wife and I both wrote reviews.. they are shown as "submitted review"
http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/reviews_mothersruin.html

Borris
04-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Mother's Ruin, Jabberwocky and the Hound of the Baskervilles (with Clive Nolan) those three are brilliant.

Thank you both for the suggestions, I was inclining to Jabberwocky because I love Lewis Carroll, but it was really expensive on Amazon so I've ordered Mother's Ruin. I eagerly await its arrival.

Whitefish
04-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Thank you Oliver! You were the best thing to happen to Yes in many, many years. We love ya mate! God bless you! Thanks again!

somissound
04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Oliver did a great job every show I saw, and I hope he returns to Yes at some point... Good stuff!

If not, I look forward to his next endeavors... But anything can happen with Yes.

rememberer
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions, I was inclining to Jabberwocky because I love Lewis Carroll, but it was really expensive on Amazon so I've ordered Mother's Ruin. I eagerly await its arrival.

Same here, went shopping for one the other day and ended up with the other for now because I couldn't find Jabberwocky anywhere at a reasonable price. Might even be the very same copy of it I saw offered seemingly everywhere I looked?

Looks like a couple of Oliver's records are trying to fetch a high price for being out of print and/or imports, if I'm not mistaken, although things might have been a little more interesting at Amazon UK with things I didn't see listed at Amazon US and more more reasonable prices on Hound Of The Baskervilles.

Do we need to nag someone somewhere (not Oliver, I presume) to help get some of Oliver's catalog back in print? I brought my demand, now where's my supply? lol

relayeire
04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Same here, went shopping for one the other day and ended up with the other for now because I couldn't find Jabberwocky anywhere at a reasonable price. Might even be the very same copy of it I saw offered seemingly everywhere I looked?

Looks like a couple of Oliver's records are trying to fetch a high price for being out of print and/or imports, if I'm not mistaken, although things might have been a little more interesting at Amazon UK with things I didn't see listed at Amazon US and more more reasonable prices on Hound Of The Baskervilles.

Do we need to nag someone somewhere (not Oliver, I presume) to help get some of Oliver's catalog back in print? I brought my demand, now where's my supply? lol

His earlier albums are getting hard to find. Wounded Bird or Voiceprint need to do a rerelease.

Try 3 Ages of Magick, a collaboration with "Backstabbin'" Steve Howe.

YESOLA
04-11-2011, 01:28 PM

I expect Rick to rip them a new one.

He's out because whoever made decision, Management, Record company, Trevor H , or the Band, or any combination of same thought Geoff Downes was either better, more marketable, or was a better fit for the next phase of the band. Has happened before many many time with this group, especially in the Keyboard seat.