PDA

View Full Version : The Oliver Appreciation Thread

relayeire
03-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Oliver, so I thought I'd start this thread in response.

I don't have any issues with Oliver's playing, his choice of sounds or his lack of facial expression when performing. I think he's a fantastic performer and composer, and a real asset to Yes. I don't mind him sharing the duties with Geoff on the new Yes album, because I love Geoff, too, but I'm keen to hear Oliver's first contribution to a Yes album. (Geoff we've obviously heard before in that context.)

So there!

Meng
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Here here!

Camphire
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
One of the things I've been looking forward to most Yes-wise is hearing Olivers contributions on the new album.
I feel a bit miffed that Geoff was brought in. I think he is surplus to requirements and it is insulting to Oliver.

Malcolm Birkett
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I tip my hat to you Pete!

Am steering well clear of almost everything these days but had to acknowledge this thread. Will say no more except....

Bravo sir!

Strawbs
03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
We appreciate Oliver more than the band does. Regardless of the reasons, replacing Oliver with Geoff on the album is a slap in the face. I wonder what Rick has to say about that.

rmig68
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
He seemed to play everything pretty well last night. They should give him a little solo spot.

Also, even though I like Geoff Downes, I'm just wondering with his apparent heavy involvement on "Fly From Here," is he going to be replacing Oliver? Does anybody know something regarding this?

In a way, I was hoping Oliver would become more involved and help to bring Yes forward in years to come.

jpirard
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Word is that Downes is mostly involved on the title track, and Oliver is more involved on the rest. It makes sense in a way since Downes help write the song. I too was very annyed when i heard that Downes had as large a role. Oliver deserves better. Still he seemed happy on stage recently, even laughing with Chris about some private thing, according to my friend Dean, who is touring with them and is literally onstage with tem, mixing monitors...

Jackaranda
03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
We don't know the reasons why Geoff was brought in, other than the obvious, which is he helped write and record the original FFH. I think we're making a big deal out of nothing.

Oliver is great, no less than that. I'd rather have him at this point than anyone else. End of story.

JimSVoit
03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Oliver is the man!

JimSVoit
03-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Purification by Sound and The Three Ages of Magick (the only two albums I've heard by him) are both excellent!!!!

luvyesmusic
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Hardly any negativity towards Oliver unless it's coming from his old grumpy father, who prefers him in another band; though he recommended him.;-)

Oliver is a great, friendly, enthusiastic guy and always the professional. I'm certainly happy he is an important part of YES and quite the ambassador, I might add. Other than Alan and Benoit, I can't think of a more fan-friendly and great guy. This man really cares about the music and fans and has been made keenly aware of just how special YESmusic and it's member's are. Like Benoit, he's been heckled on the Net by a few older folks who are sticks in the mud, but he is fully aware of the happiness and joy of the majority of fans.

It's been a pleasure meeting him on a few occasions and even more nice being recognized by him and him mentioning my daughter. Oliver is a first-class guy. Whether is name is Wakeman or Smith, it matters not to this YESfan. Cheers to Oliver.:beerchugr:

somissound
03-30-2011, 07:50 PM
:beerchugr:Oliver is the MAN!

He is so chill, It probably would not bother him to let Geoff work on FFH... Maybe there will be some mega dual Keyboard action! Man, this album has me thinking and guessing all over the place... I think he is proud to be involved, period.

YesCarolinita
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Word is that Downes is mostly involved on the title track, and Oliver is more involved on the rest. It makes sense in a way since Downes help write the song. I too was very annyed when i heard that Downes had as large a role. Oliver deserves better. Still he seemed happy on stage recently, even laughing with Chris about some private thing, according to my friend Dean, who is touring with them and is literally onstage with tem, mixing monitors...

Can you please ask your friend Dean to TURN OLIVER UP! I adore Oliver, and I no issues at all with him. Hat off to you Pete- great thread, well deserved. It's time for people to give credit where credit is due. Oliver rocks-maybe he dislikes the spotlight per se? :beerchugr:

YesCarolinita
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Hardly any negativity towards Oliver unless it's coming from his old grumpy father, who prefers him in another band; though he recommended him.;-)

Oliver is a great, friendly, enthusiastic guy and always the professional. I'm certainly happy he is an important part of YES and quite the ambassador, I might add. Other than Alan and Benoit, I can't think of a more fan-friendly and great guy. This man really cares about the music and fans and has been made keenly aware of just how special YESmusic and it's member's are. Like Benoit, he's been heckled on the Net by a few older folks who are sticks in the mud, but he is fully aware of the happiness and joy of the majority of fans.

It's been a pleasure meeting him on a few occasions and even more nice being recognized by him and him mentioning my daughter. Oliver is a first-class guy. Whether is name is Wakeman or Smith, it matters not to this YESfan. Cheers to Oliver.:beerchugr:

:appl[1]::appl[1]::appl[1]:

This is probably the BEST post I have ever read from you Rob. It really sums up the complete Gentleman Oliver is. His wife should be very proud of him too.

KoniraThax
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM
We don't know the reasons why Geoff was brought in, other than the obvious, which is he helped write and record the original FFH. I think we're making a big deal out of nothing.

Oliver is great, no less than that. I'd rather have him at this point than anyone else. End of story.

A big deal indeed. Geoff wrote it, only right he gets to help remake it. That'd be like remaking Tales and not wanting Jon's input.

Chris and them love Oliver. He saved their skin the past few years. I love Oliver as well. He's a great lad, he's got lots of talent and he's got so many years left in him. He'll get his fair share on the new album.

luvyesmusic
03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
I will add, though posted on another thread, after the last YES-show I took my wife to last year ( she's been to a couple only and there were many years in between) we were walking back to the car and she asked "what happened to the keyboard player, he looks even younger than the last time I saw him?". I had to laugh when I told her it was Rick's son Oliver. LOL

KoniraThax
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
I will add, though posted on another thread, after the last YES-show I took my wife to last year ( she's been to a couple only and there were many years in between) we were walking back to the car and she asked "what happened to the keyboard player, he looks even younger than the last time I saw him?". I had to laugh when I told her it was Rick's son Oliver. LOL

It's called homeopathic medicines. LOL.

Oliver does resemble Rick but in more ways, Oliver's charm is more apparent than his old mans. I enjoy Oliver more.

relayeire
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Word is that Downes is mostly involved on the title track, and Oliver is more involved on the rest. It makes sense in a way since Downes help write the song.

Based on this logic, Jimmy Page should've been brought in to replace Howe on "Mind Drive." I love Geoff, and he was the original composer/performer on the song, so I am okay with his involvement. It's unfortunate that Oliver likely has no involvement in the album's one big track - the title track at that.

Purification by Sound and The Three Ages of Magick (the only two albums I've heard by him) are both excellent!!!!

Jabberwocky. Hard to find, but worth seeking out.

I hear quite a bit of negativity from fans about him; I address their concerns in my first post about his onstage demeanor, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Oliver's character.

Can you please ask your friend Dean to TURN OLIVER UP! I adore Oliver, and I no issues at all with him. Hat off to you Pete- great thread, well deserved. It's time for people to give credit where credit is due. Oliver rocks-maybe he dislikes the spotlight per se? :beerchugr:

He does indeed rock. He also rules. Someone shouted that at the Orlando show, and he looked over at them, smiled and waved - from way over at stage left.

Turn him up for sure.

Joe
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I can't wait to hear Oliver in the studio. I hope he has some of dad's tricks up his sleeve.

relayeire
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Oliver, so I thought I'd start this thread in response.

I don't have any issues with Oliver's playing, his choice of sounds or his lack of facial expression when performing. I think he's a fantastic performer and composer, and a real asset to Yes. I don't mind him sharing the duties with Geoff on the new Yes album, because I love Geoff, too, but I'm keen to hear Oliver's first contribution to a Yes album. (Geoff we've obviously heard before in that context.)

So there!

I can't wait to hear Oliver in the studio. I hope he has some of dad's tricks up his sleeve.

Looks like we'll all have to wait, Joe. This article about the new album has a group photo - Oliver is not shown or mentioned!!!!!

http://heavyrocktheplaylist.blogspot.com/2011/03/yes-new-album-fly-from-here-out-in-july.html

This thread is needed now more than ever - the band DO NOT appreciate Oliver.

Joe
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Looks like we'll all have to wait, Joe. This article about the new album has a group photo - Oliver is not shown or mentioned!!!!!

http://heavyrocktheplaylist.blogspot.com/2011/03/yes-new-album-fly-from-here-out-in-july.html

This thread is needed now more than ever - the band DO NOT appreciate Oliver.

I've been away from the site for a long time. Oliver is NOT going to continue with YES?!

Camphire
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I've been away from the site for a long time. Oliver is NOT going to continue with YES?!

Just an internet rumour at this point.
Fingers crossed its untrue.

relayeire
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Fingers crossed its untrue.

You and me both.

Camphire
03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Bump

To balance the "Oliver is out" thread.

luvyesmusic
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q433/luvyesmusic/Asia/yesasia400.jpg

Oliver, whether the rumors are true or not, thanks for getting YES going again. You will always be a part of YES history and I thank you for helping get the good ship YES out, once again. Good luck in all you do. Hope Monday's show will rock!

tidewater
03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
OLIVER PLEASE STAY!!(The one and only keyboardist that can replace you is YOUR DAD :-D ).In a word:WAKEMANS RULE:-D WE LOVE YOU

relayeire
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Bump

To balance the "Oliver is out" thread.

I never knew how popular that thread would be when I started it - or how timely this one would be.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q433/luvyesmusic/Asia/yesasia400.jpg

Oliver, whether the rumors are true or not, thanks for getting YES going again. You will always be a part of YES history and I thank you for helping get the good ship YES out, once again. Good luck in all you do. Hope Monday's show will rock!

You're going to get me started again. :crybby:

OLIVER PLEASE STAY!!(The one and only keyboardist that can replace you is YOUR DAD :-D ).In a word:WAKEMANS RULE:-D WE LOVE YOU

As the song said, "Don't Go."

cjreyes
04-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Thank you, Oliver, for your contributions! Good luck on your future endeavours!!!

YesCarolinita
04-01-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm saddened at the prospect of Oliver leaving. I hope this rumor is NOT true. I had the pleasure of meeting Oliver a couple of times and he is a gentleman. I really wish everyone would stop speculating, although I bet it is true. I'll keep my stubbie toes crossed Oliver returns next tour if it is. Best to you Oliver and your family.

Olias of BurryPort
04-01-2011, 05:09 AM
I'm saddened at the prospect of Oliver leaving. I hope this rumor is NOT true. I had the pleasure of meeting Oliver a couple of times and he is a gentleman. I really wish everyone would stop speculating, although I bet it is true. I'll keep my stubbie toes crossed Oliver returns next tour if it is. Best to you Oliver and your family.

Just to echo your words.A lovely bloke and has a really down to earth Mum too.

Internaut
04-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Good luck on your future endeavours!!!

Cultural Vandals... IF he has some extra time, he can get this latest project finished and released...

DREAMER
04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Just to echo your words.A lovely bloke and a really down to earth Mum too.

So you're saying that Oliver is a 'down to earth Mum' ?!
That's one description of him I didn't expect...

relayeire
04-01-2011, 07:40 AM

I think the article about him was very clear, hence no speculation on this.

Olias of BurryPort
04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
So you're saying that Oliver is a 'down to earth Mum' ?!
That's one description of him I didn't expect...

Yeh i think you should all now that Oliver is actually a woman !!!!!

oops sorry for this I meant to say his mum is down to earth.

rememberer
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, if it's really true, thanks so much for being part of Yes, Oliver. I hope it's been good to you and I'm certainly buying more of your records. I've very much enjoyed your playing, and hearing from people who've met you what a good fellow you sound like. I hope you'll do like your father and find your way back in the revolving door often.

relayeire
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, if it's really true, thanks so much for being part of Yes, Oliver. I hope it's been good to you and I'm certainly buying more of your records. I've very much enjoyed your playing, and hearing from people who've met you what a good fellow you sound like. I hope you'll do like your father and find your way back in the revolving door often.

:beerchugr:

He is a swell fellow, talented but humble. I was actually in the picture with him that I use for my profile (not enough room for me at 125 x 125 pixels). I mentioned how much I liked his solo album Jabberwocky, to which he replied, "Oh, you were the one!"

MikeYESfan
04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
He is a great guy and a Great Musician.
This is ok for him to move on.
He will land in a Good Band and we will all follow him there...
He was is fine spirits the other night...
This was a Great 3 year run and looks good on the Resume too.....

YES

relayeire
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
He looked so peaceful last time I saw him.

barra1
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Gone but not forgotten

thanks for your talanted work with the band when touring with them over the last few years.

A nicer guy you could not meet

abwh1234
04-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Just listening to YES live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yzUBrpPges

Doing CTTE

Oliver nails it - Brilliant keyboards

Oliver - if you have departed the band , Thank you very much for your contribution

Camphire
04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Glad I haven't purchased any tickets for the UK dates yet.
I would have been very dissapointed to have turned up at a gig to find Downes & not Oliver on Keys!

Camphire
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/25rmulg.jpg

Paul Allen
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I guess we now know that Oliver is out. A "Yes" with Downes is 10 times more legit. If it wasn't for his dad, he would never have been in the band. It was borderline silly to call that lineup Yes. Now I can at least begin to buy what they are selling.

kirklott
04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
We appreciate Oliver more than the band does. Regardless of the reasons, replacing Oliver with Geoff on the album is a slap in the face. I wonder what Rick has to say about that.

You mean Rick Wakeman, the guy who has left the band 5 or 6 times?

Who cares?

qoquaq
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
After seeing YES at The Colston Hall in Bristol in '09, I too was looking forward to new music with contributions from the two new guys (a lot of 2s there) so Oliver thanks for your bit in enabling to see my band and,for what it's worth (and if you are no longer a YES member) I wish you well.
btw my first born son is named Oliver after you, I thought if the name is good enough for Rick it's good enough for me!

Robin

Camphire
04-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Bump

relayeire
04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Bump

Thanks for that. Can you also bump the haters off this thread?

Internaut
04-02-2011, 01:42 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KH729na95rA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yesanneyes
04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Nick has been learning to play piano since he was six years old. He listened to YES music since before he was born. And he has always admired Rick Wakeman.

But, it was meeting Oliver in 2008 that inspired him to become a rock keyboard player. Nick wouldn't be where he is musically if it weren't for that 30 minutes with Oliver when he had just turned 9 years old.

Thank you Oliver, for being the sweet gentleman and great musician that you are. You changed Nick's life with your words. You are the one he will talk about when he is grown and people ask who influenced him. You're the best and we hope to see you again soon.

It was a privilege to see you with YES, and the last concert we saw with you in Louisville was truly outstanding. You sounded better than ever! All the best to you, Oliver. Hope to see you with your band in the U.S.

heartofthesunrise
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Love me some GD, but I'll miss Oliver something awful.

Malcolm Birkett
04-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Nick has been learning to play piano since he was six years old. He listened to YES music since before he was born. And he has always admired Rick Wakeman.

But, it was meeting Oliver in 2008 that inspired him to become a rock keyboard player. Nick wouldn't be where he is musically if it weren't for that 30 minutes with Oliver when he had just turned 9 years old.

Thank you Oliver, for being the sweet gentleman and great musician that you are. You changed Nick's life with your words. You are the one he will talk about when he is grown and people ask who influenced him. You're the best and we hope to see you again soon.

It was a privilege to see you with YES, and the last concert we saw with you in Louisville was truly outstanding. You sounded better than ever! All the best to you, Oliver. Hope to see you with your band in the U.S.

Jeez, this made me shed a tear! Give my love to the Nickster!

Jackaranda
04-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Well said.

Jackaranda
04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I guess we now know that Oliver is out. A "Yes" with Downes is 10 times more legit. If it wasn't for his dad, he would never have been in the band. It was borderline silly to call that lineup Yes. Now I can at least begin to buy what they are selling.

That post is completely silly.

Paul Allen
04-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I know you are but what am I?

relayeire
04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KH729na95rA" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

A fine album!

:appl[1]::keyboard:

Love me some GD, but I'll miss Oliver something awful.

Downes is fantastic. Drama, Age of Plastic and Asia are some of favorite albums. I count him alongside Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Patrick Moraz and Eddie Jobson as one of the finest rock keysmen. But I like what we had with Oliver in Yes, and will miss him tremendously. I hope he left of his own accord.

Mr Roundabout
04-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I will be sorry if he is gone. I thought he was pretty good live in 2009.

relayeire
04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Tonight is likely to be Oliver's last-ever performance with Yes. I'd just like to thank him for some great years with the band, and for really bringing songs like "Machine Messiah," "Tempus Fugit" and "Astral Traveller" to life onstage. More commonly performed numbers like CTTE and "Starship Trooper" also really rocked with Oliver at the keys.

Well done, sir. Thank you.

Olias of BurryPort
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM

and most posts on this thread are 10 times more legit than this garbage

yesanneyes
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Tonight is likely to be Oliver's last-ever performance with Yes. I'd just like to thank him for some great years with the band, and for really bringing songs like "Machine Messiah," "Tempus Fugit" and "Astral Traveller" to life onstage. More common numbers like CTTE and "Starship Trooper" also really rocked with Oliver at the keys.

Well done, sir. Thank you.

If I had the money, we'd drive down there for it for sure.

maninthemoon
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
My beloved wife Karen was impressed with two things at the concert Saturday evening:
1) Chris’ phenomenal fretwork, particularly on songs like Tempus Fugit. Our oldest son is a bass player and she really loves the low end of the sound spectrum, so it's natural that she would focus on that even though we were sitting 10 feet from Steve.

2) Oliver's hair.

I picked up her iPad yesterday to look up something and her Safari history had "Oliver Wakeman" in the search. I asked if she was looking him up to admire his hair and indeed, that was the reason.

I wish you well Oliver, thanks for being part on the Yes legacy!

rick not wakeman
04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Coincidentally, I started an Oliver Appreciation thread on PE a few days ago, expressing my enjoyment of the two Nolan/Wakeman LPs (imo "Hound of the Baskervilles" is as good as "Jabberwocky", both are great) and the Wakeman/Howe "3 Ages of Magick" disc, a beautifully laid-back affair. I've not heard "Mother Road", but am reading positive reviews (apparently OOP...I wonder if the DVD's still available). While I was underwhelmed by Oliver's playing when I saw Yes last year, I'd love to hear him with electric Strawbs, may be a better fit for his less-flamboyant playing.

relayeire
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Coincidentally, I started an Oliver Appreciation thread on PE a few days ago, expressing my enjoyment of the two Nolan/Wakeman LPs (imo "Hound of the Baskervilles" is as good as "Jabberwocky", both are great) and the Wakeman/Howe "3 Ages of Magick" disc, a beautifully laid-back affair. I've not heard "Mother Road", but am reading positive reviews (apparently OOP...I wonder if the DVD's still available). While I was underwhelmed by Oliver's playing when I saw Yes last year, I'd love to hear him with electric Strawbs, may be a better fit for his less-flamboyant playing.

What is PE?

rick not wakeman
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
ProgressiveEars.

www.progressiveears.com

relayeire
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks.

Internaut
04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I've not heard "Mother Road", but am reading positive reviews (apparently OOP...I wonder if the DVD's still available).

Oliver's studio album Mother's Ruin and his live Coming to Town DVD and / or CD are on Amazon

You'll be sure to find a buried treasure in Dave Pearce on guitars...

rphheather
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm sad to hear of his departure. He has been playing better than ever with the band and seemed to be enjoying himself. Maybe he feels as if a weight has been lifted, IDK.

Lovely man and I was looking forward to his contributions on the new album.

Best of luck to him ! :keyboard:

soleil7
04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.yesfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20836&stc=1&d=1302040099

I will always appreciate your contribution to Yes, Ollie!! We love and will miss you !!

Camphire
04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Oliver is a lovely person and an oustanding musician.
If the rumour about Yes turns out to be true
I look forward to hearing his next project both live & on record.

God Bless you Ollie.

relayeire
04-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I wish this lineup had offered a tour programme at some point. As it seems Oliver won't be on the new album, and that 3-D concert from France remains shelved, there's little official record of his time with the band.

jskawaken
04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
As someone previously said in another thread Oliver is a class act.

He may be gone - but never forgotten.

Camphire
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm listening to Mother's Ruin now:keyboard::theband:

YesCarolinita
04-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I think the article about him was very clear, hence no speculation on this.

It wasn't official when you responded six days ago. I only believe in an "official" announcements, which we now have. Many times posters here speculate as do many articles out there. No offense you personally, its just that many things here are beat to death and then what is beaten .....

I am deeply saddened to read that Oliver is officially no longer part of Yes.

Best wishes Oliver-it was a pleasure to hear you play with Yes many times (first time in 08 twice at Mohegan Sun Casino) and once again, I wish you and your family the absolutely best. I am honored to have spent time with you on a few occasions-your are a good man and a very talented musician. Keep your head held high and your family has reasonS to be very proud of your conduct while on the road. Hope to see you again soon. ♥

Bluegrunt
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
... that 3-D concert from France remains shelvedWhere did you hear this?

Internaut
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm listening to Mother's Ruin now:keyboard::theband:

That's a good one. I listened to Chakras today... tomorrow I'll play The View from Here... and maybe the Progaid disc too

Whitefish
04-09-2011, 05:26 AM
I am very sorry that Oliver is no longer with Yes. Fabulous player. He is an absolute gentleman as well.

relayeire
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Where did you hear this?

I simply surmised it, based on the fact it's not been released, nor has there been any information about it being released. And with that now being an old lineup ... I'd love to be wrong, however.

I was just thinking about something earlier tonight: Were there this many "Thank You, Jon" threads when it became apparent he was no longer a member of Yes? I don't think so, but I am too lazy to research it. Oliver's got quite a few.

relayeire
05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
In light of Geoff's confirmation that he plays all the keys on FFH, I'd like to once again confirm my support for Oliver and his talents.

Internaut
05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
In light of Geoff's confirmation that he plays all the keys on FFH, I'd like to once again confirm my support for Oliver and his talents.

I'll second that

relayeire
05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Remembering Oliver today.

Paul Allen
05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Oliver WHO?

edarnold
05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Oliver Wakeman

Paul Allen
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Oliver Wakeman WHO?

Mostly Harmless
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
It's easy enough to avoid someone who is clearly looking to stir the pot.

Just ignore them.

gathernear
05-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Maybe we're having some PWI today...

happytheman
06-24-2011, 08:04 AM
One of the things I've been looking forward to most Yes-wise is hearing Olivers contributions on the new album.
I feel a bit miffed that Geoff was brought in. I think he is surplus to requirements and it is insulting to Oliver.
Oliver got a bum deal with Yes, however with that said considering the history of Yes "politics", he did manage to hang out for several tours. To quote somebody from the past....." every adversity holds with it a seed of equal or greater benefit". Here's hoping a brighter future for Oliver, I enjoyed his contributions to the music Yes performed the two times I saw them with that line up.

relayeire
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Listening to Oliver online now. Nice to see that he reads Yesfans posts and acknowledges fans who defend his work! He was an accomplished musician in his own right well before he joined Yes, folks.

http://aiiradio.net/

Camphire
07-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I have just tuned in, I hope I haven't missed it all.

Camphire
07-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Good, I haven't missed it....he's just talking about The Agent now.

Lonewolf
07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Are we talking about the 60's pop singer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_%28singer%29) or the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver%21_%28film%29)?

Seriously, good luck to Oliver, and I really need to check out his other works.

It's a pity the keyboard spot in Yes is such a revolving door, he never had a chance. ;)

relayeire
07-04-2011, 12:52 PM
We're talking about the guy who sang "Jean" and "Good Morning Starshine." R.I.P.

Internaut
07-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Good, I haven't missed it....he's just talking about The Agent now.

I missed it, we were out picking strawberries

The Agent is such an apropos song, given recent events...

relayeire
07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
At the end, when asked if there was anything else he'd like to say to listeners, Oliver said he wanted to thank all the fans for their kind words and support during what he'd "been through over the past few months." Something to that effect. He is most welcome!

Camphire
07-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I missed it, we were out picking strawberries

The Agent is such an apropos song, given recent events...

I was thinking that too as he was talking about it.

Camphire
07-04-2011, 03:00 PM
At the end, when asked if there was anything else he'd like to say to listeners, Oliver said he wanted to thank all the fans for their kind words and support during what he'd "been through over the past few months." Something to that effect. He is most welcome!

Yes very welcome.
Oliver is very gracious. I wish him every success.

luvyesmusic
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Oliver, get your arse back on yesfans.com. and start posting. We'd love to have you discuss your latest projects, album contributions and tour plans.

International
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I love Oliver & he brought in young fans too. Plus his favorite band is Styx so sad he didn't tour with them. I saw them at Meet-n-greet in Grand Rapids and afterwards Oliver was not happy & Criss would not talk about the new album in front of him as I didnít know yet he was out! Was very sad & went home cryin!</SPAN>

Camphire
07-06-2011, 06:38 PM
The way he was treated was horrible and the music has come out the worse for it.
I'm going to see Oliver's band live first chance I get.

yesanneyes
07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Oliver, get your arse back on yesfans.com. and start posting. We'd love to have you discuss your latest projects, album contributions and tour plans.

FABulous idea!!!!! Oliver, seriously - it would be lovely to have you here.

Internaut
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Thank you for such great music as this one, and may you continue to make much more beautiful music in the years to come. fyi, the song ends at about 3:30 but the slide show continues...

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YEBlnSYxyjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

relayeire
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Have I mentioned my admiration for Oliver Wakeman?

luvyesmusic
01-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Oliver kicks arse on the Live at Lyon c.d..

relayeire
01-17-2012, 07:51 AM

Damn straight!

Camphire
01-18-2012, 03:31 AM

Excellent, Thanks for pointing this out. I haven't heard it yet.

International
01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Now that we can hear Oliver, he is the best really!

roseannhurley
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi--This is what Oliver is currently doing...join us on FB and now on Twitter!!

Oliver Wakeman's January newslist

"Firstly may I wish you all a Happy New Year, here's hoping that 2012 will be a fun and exciting year!"

News

Oliver Wakeman and Gordon Giltrap

We are proud to announce that Oliver and the world renown guitarist Gordon Giltrap have started work on a new collaboration. The album is in its very early stages but things are already progressing very quickly and there is a lot of enthusiasm (and music) flying around at the moment.

Gordon and Oliver first met during one of his Dad's Christmas concerts where they both performed back in 2009. Gordon recently contacted Oliver with the offer of performing on his next solo album but this soon changed into a full scale collaboration. The final tone of the album hasn't been decided upon yet as both are keen to let the music lead the way but it will certainly be a welcome addition to both their catalogues!

The following is taken from Gordon's website (http://www.giltrap.co.uk/) - "On the creative front I am currently collaborating with that outstanding keyboard player Mr Oliver Wakeman. He and I are working together on my first 'rock' album since the late 70's.This project will see a return to my 'Prog Rock' roots, and the prospect of working with a man considered by many to be one of the best in the business truly excites me!"

The guys are also planning to perform live together and so there is a lot to look forward to - watch this space!

---------

Oliver's track 'Sahasrara' available on YouTube

There is now a dedicated playlist of a selection of Oliver's music on the BlueDotMusic YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueDotMusic#g/c/36E47B5D2501EE71). The latest addition is the track 'Sahasrara' which appeared on the album 'Chakras'.

This piece and the full album are now available on iTunes.

---------

Oliver announced as Guest presenter at Classic Rock Society Awards night

Some of you may be familiar with the Classic Rock Society in the UK. It has been running for many years now tirelessly supporting musicians and putting on concerts as well as releasing a bi-monthly magazine.

Each year there is an awards ceremony and awards are handed out to the musicians voted for by the readership. Oliver was fortunate enough to win the best Keyboard Player award on three separate occasions!

This year, however, Oliver has been asked to be the guest presenter at the awards and hand out the awards to the lucky winners. It should be a great evening and Oliver is looking forward to meeting up with lots of old friends!

More information about the Classic Rock Society can be found on their website which is www.classicrocksociety.co.uk (http://www.classicrocksociety.co.uk/)

---------

YES - Live From Lyon

We are delighted to see that the Live From Lyon - Yes album (featuring Oliver) has been getting such good reviews. Many highlighting Oliver's keyboards as a particular high point. This is extremely gratifying as I'm sure many of you can imagine!

---------

Q&A

Many of you may be aware that Oliver was answering a lot of questions that were sent through the Facebook page. It went a bit quieter over the Christmas period, but please feel free to keep the questions coming - Oliver doesn't mind!

---------

Cheers,

Rose

relayeire
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi--This is what Oliver is currently doing...join us on FB and now on Twitter!!

Oliver Wakeman's January newslist

"Firstly may I wish you all a Happy New Year, here's hoping that 2012 will be a fun and exciting year!"

News

Oliver Wakeman and Gordon Giltrap

We are proud to announce that Oliver and the world renown guitarist Gordon Giltrap have started work on a new collaboration. The album is in its very early stages but things are already progressing very quickly and there is a lot of enthusiasm (and music) flying around at the moment.

Gordon and Oliver first met during one of his Dad's Christmas concerts where they both performed back in 2009. Gordon recently contacted Oliver with the offer of performing on his next solo album but this soon changed into a full scale collaboration. The final tone of the album hasn't been decided upon yet as both are keen to let the music lead the way but it will certainly be a welcome addition to both their catalogues!

The following is taken from Gordon's website (http://www.giltrap.co.uk/) - "On the creative front I am currently collaborating with that outstanding keyboard player Mr Oliver Wakeman. He and I are working together on my first 'rock' album since the late 70's.This project will see a return to my 'Prog Rock' roots, and the prospect of working with a man considered by many to be one of the best in the business truly excites me!"

The guys are also planning to perform live together and so there is a lot to look forward to - watch this space!

---------

Oliver's track 'Sahasrara' available on YouTube

There is now a dedicated playlist of a selection of Oliver's music on the BlueDotMusic YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueDotMusic#g/c/36E47B5D2501EE71). The latest addition is the track 'Sahasrara' which appeared on the album 'Chakras'.

This piece and the full album are now available on iTunes.

---------

Oliver announced as Guest presenter at Classic Rock Society Awards night

Some of you may be familiar with the Classic Rock Society in the UK. It has been running for many years now tirelessly supporting musicians and putting on concerts as well as releasing a bi-monthly magazine.

Each year there is an awards ceremony and awards are handed out to the musicians voted for by the readership. Oliver was fortunate enough to win the best Keyboard Player award on three separate occasions!

This year, however, Oliver has been asked to be the guest presenter at the awards and hand out the awards to the lucky winners. It should be a great evening and Oliver is looking forward to meeting up with lots of old friends!

More information about the Classic Rock Society can be found on their website which is www.classicrocksociety.co.uk (http://www.classicrocksociety.co.uk/)

---------

YES - Live From Lyon

We are delighted to see that the Live From Lyon - Yes album (featuring Oliver) has been getting such good reviews. Many highlighting Oliver's keyboards as a particular high point. This is extremely gratifying as I'm sure many of you can imagine!

---------

Q&A

Many of you may be aware that Oliver was answering a lot of questions that were sent through the Facebook page. It went a bit quieter over the Christmas period, but please feel free to keep the questions coming - Oliver doesn't mind!

---------

Cheers,

Rose

Just seeing this post now. Thanks for the update!