PDA

View Full Version : Jon's coming to Greensboro!

Dramato
07-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Friday the tenth of September:

http://www.carolinatheatre.com/calendar2.html?event=1279846182541

tardistraveler
07-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Fantastic!

Looks like a cool theater too . . . :cool:

Dramato
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
We saw the other guys there (i.e. Yes w/Benoit singing), in late-2008. Don't miss.

Sheerah
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Who woulda thunk?

relayeire
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Interesting. If you look at number and frequency of live dates on his website, it's actually beginning to resemble a tour and not just a smattering of dates. Hope he comes to FL.

Paul Allen
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Jon is adding more dates and then the 360 tour with Wakey. Seems like he's ready. It seems like he's healthy. It seems like Squire needs to end his tribute band debacle and get on with the real Yes.

BlackAdder97
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Just got my ticket - looking forward to a pre-show get together???

Regards,
Edmund.

Dramato
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
:appl[1]:

yesrolfer
08-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Got my ticket today!

yesanneyes
08-17-2010, 04:26 AM
Got my ticket today!

So happy for you Michael!!! I used to live an hour from Greensboro in Virginia. Have a great show!!!

yesrolfer
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I need a ride from Raleigh area to Greensboro for the show on Friday. Any Raleigh/Triangle YESFANS going?

yesrolfer
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I need a ride from Raleigh area to Greensboro for the show on Friday. Any Raleigh/Triangle YESFANS going?

Problem resolved!!

BlackAdder97
09-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Not too much discussion going on regarding pre-show activities. I am planning on being at Grey's Tavern, 343 South Elm Street (about 1 block from the Carolina Theater). Be great to catch up with any other Yesfans. Will be wearing my Jon Anderson t-shirt!!

Link: http://greystavern.com/

Regards,
Edmund.

relayeire
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
For a guy no longer up for "endless touring," Jon sure has quite a full slate of shows coming up.

Dramato
09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Grey's Tavern--good spot. Our sitter should arrive around seven...see you there hopefully.

Not too much discussion going on regarding pre-show activities. I am planning on being at Grey's Tavern, 343 South Elm Street (about 1 block from the Carolina Theater). Be great to catch up with any other Yesfans. Will be wearing my Jon Anderson t-shirt!!

Link: http://greystavern.com/

Regards,
Edmund.

Dramato
09-11-2010, 12:38 AM
We got there a few minutes early, but not early enough for Grey's Tavern.

Really nice, relaxed but upbeat show in a beautiful venue--setlist (intermission in between) about the same as previous dates, not a capacity crowd but a lot of positive energy coming out of the audience for the Yessongs as well as Jon's solo stuff--his voice sounded great, he's looking healthy, and he was cracking jokes about polar bears, geese, and penguins. The encores were Roundabout and Soon. Between those two songs, a mentally-handicapped young man walked up on stage and gave Jon a hug, followed a moment later by his parents. Jon didn't miss a beat. The kid's mom got a hug too.

TRUEYOUTRUEME
09-11-2010, 12:40 AM

Really nice, relaxed but upbeat show in a beautiful venue--setlist (intermission in between) about the same as previous dates, not a capacity crowd but a lot of positive energy coming out of the audience for the Yessongs as well as Jon's solo stuff--his voice sounded great, he's looking healthy, and he was cracking jokes about polar bears, geese, and penguins. The encores were Roundabout and Soon. Between those two songs, a mentally-handicapped young man walked up on stage and gave Jon a hug, followed a moment later by his parents. Jon didn't miss a beat. The kid's mom got a hug too.

Wow! Sounds like an incredible night.

I was at the Sellersville show and it really was a graceful and rocking night! Great crowd and great performance by Jon!!!

yesrolfer
09-11-2010, 01:15 AM

I did make it to Grey's, wonderful bar!! Great show, I agree with Dramtos review.
Got to sit in 1st row, 3 seats from Jane!! A fun night!!

BlackAdder97
09-11-2010, 10:58 AM
How will I find what is near
Don't question I'm not alone
Somehow I'll find my way home

Thank you, Jon (again).

Have not seen many extended reviews, so from a morning after perspective, here goes. Major spoiler alert (but too late anyway!)

Easy 2 hour drive up from Charlotte to the historic Carolina Theater in Greensboro for "An Acoustic Evening with Jon Anderson (The Voice Of Yes)" presented by Rock92 and the staggeringly appropriate Yes! Weekly local publication. My ticket even had my name printed on it. Pleasant few hours in Grey's Tavern, then off to the show.

After a brief introduction by the director(?) of the non-profit Carolina Theater, Jon took the stage to a standing ovation. Looked good, sounded better. Jon performed primarily on guitars of various types (including ukelele), using an electronic piano for the first part of the second half. I cannnot remember the exact sequence of songs, but as best as I remember, let me break them down by category.

Yes songs

First half

Transitioned from a new song into Yours is no disgrace.
Long distance runaround
Time and a word
Sweet dreams
OOALH (to end first half)

Second half

Interspersed in new song, Close to the edge, Revealing science of God (on piano)
Show me (guess this is a "Yes" song as it is on "The Ultimate Yes" CD)
Your move (on ukelele)
Nous sommes du soleil

Encore

Roundabout
Soon

Wonderful selection, albeit of severely "abridged" versions. Got my first "Whoa, that's really Jon Anderson up there" moment, when he sang the opening lines of Time and a word, "When you open up your eyes...". Great singalong on "Your Move", where we (the audience) had to sing the "Diddit diddit diddit..." part while Jon sang the "All we are saying is give peace a chance" part in tribute to John Lennon on the occasion of what would have been his 70th birthday. Roundabout encouraged about half a dozen ladies to dance on either side of the stage. I'll finish this review with what happened before "Soon".

Jon solo and with Vangelis

I'll find my way home (I think)
To the runner
Tony and me
State of independence
plus maybe 3 or 4 new songs

Another great selection. Second, "Whoa, that's really Jon Anderson up there" moment, when he sang "To the runner". First time I have seen Jon perform anything from Olias. Major goosebumps to say the least. Loved "Tony and me", with it's Beatles, Everly Brothers and Beach Boys sections. Jon finished the second half of the show with "State of independence". One of the new songs had a clever singalong part for the audience, which was actually in a low enough key to really be effective.

And then there was one of those "Only at a Jon Anderson concert" moments to end the show. Dramato summed it up in an earlier post, but transitioning from that magic moment into "Soon" brought more than a lump to the throat.

All too soon it was over and time to head home. A privilege to attend the show and for less than $30, an outstanding value. To the ladies of row K (you know who you are), have a great time in Atlanta Sunday night and don't be afraid to post here. Yesfans is a friendly group!

A tour not to be missed.

One last thought. Not in any way bringing up a "Jon vs Yes" discussion, and certainly not disparaging Jon's guitar playing, what about a Steve Howe / Jon Anderson show?

Regards,
Edmund.

Dramato
09-11-2010, 11:25 PM
The first song on the piano after Intermission, that was "Set Sail," which he did in the same medley with Close to the Edge/Revealing Science when he played the UK shows with Rick in 2006. I only know that from a recording of a Jon & Rick show. The song has not been (studio) recorded yet as far as I know, so maybe it will be on Jon's next album. As for the very first song, the one that segued into "Yours Is No Disgrace," I have no idea, but if that was Portuguese he was singing in, maybe it was something from the Deseo album. Was it Portuguese? Atlantean? Sunhillowean!?
Speaking of the latter, I too was getting the goosebumps with Blackadder when Jon dipped into the Olias songbook--that was true delight.

How will I find what is near
Don't question I'm not alone
Somehow I'll find my way home

Thank you, Jon (again).

Have not seen many extended reviews, so from a morning after perspective, here goes. Major spoiler alert (but too late anyway!)

Easy 2 hour drive up from Charlotte to the historic Carolina Theater in Greensboro for "An Acoustic Evening with Jon Anderson (The Voice Of Yes)" presented by Rock92 and the staggeringly appropriate Yes! Weekly local publication. My ticket even had my name printed on it. Pleasant few hours in Grey's Tavern, then off to the show.

After a brief introduction by the director(?) of the non-profit Carolina Theater, Jon took the stage to a standing ovation. Looked good, sounded better. Jon performed primarily on guitars of various types (including ukelele), using an electronic piano for the first part of the second half. I cannnot remember the exact sequence of songs, but as best as I remember, let me break them down by category.

Yes songs

First half

Transitioned from a new song into Yours is no disgrace.
Long distance runaround
Time and a word
Sweet dreams
OOALH (to end first half)

Second half

Interspersed in new song, Close to the edge, Revealing science of God (on piano)
Show me (guess this is a "Yes" song as it is on "The Ultimate Yes" CD)
Your move (on ukelele)
Nous sommes du soleil

Encore

Roundabout
Soon

Wonderful selection, albeit of severely "abridged" versions. Got my first "Whoa, that's really Jon Anderson up there" moment, when he sang the opening lines of Time and a word, "When you open up your eyes...". Great singalong on "Your Move", where we (the audience) had to sing the "Diddit diddit diddit..." part while Jon sang the "All we are saying is give peace a chance" part in tribute to John Lennon on the occasion of what would have been his 70th birthday. Roundabout encouraged about half a dozen ladies to dance on either side of the stage. I'll finish this review with what happened before "Soon".

Jon solo and with Vangelis

I'll find my way home (I think)
To the runner
Tony and me
State of independence
plus maybe 3 or 4 new songs

Another great selection. Second, "Whoa, that's really Jon Anderson up there" moment, when he sang "To the runner". First time I have seen Jon perform anything from Olias. Major goosebumps to say the least. Loved "Tony and me", with it's Beatles, Everly Brothers and Beach Boys sections. Jon finished the second half of the show with "State of independence". One of the new songs had a clever singalong part for the audience, which was actually in a low enough key to really be effective.

And then there was one of those "Only at a Jon Anderson concert" moments to end the show. Dramato summed it up in an earlier post, but transitioning from that magic moment into "Soon" brought more than a lump to the throat.

All too soon it was over and time to head home. A privilege to attend the show and for less than $30, an outstanding value. To the ladies of row K (you know who you are), have a great time in Atlanta Sunday night and don't be afraid to post here. Yesfans is a friendly group!

A tour not to be missed.

One last thought. Not in any way bringing up a "Jon vs Yes" discussion, and certainly not disparaging Jon's guitar playing, what about a Steve Howe / Jon Anderson show?

Regards,
Edmund.

Yesdave
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
A great show in a beautiful theater. Jon sounded amazing - better than I even expected. I could have listened all night.