PDA

View Full Version : With The Strawbs - like his father

The Ancient
06-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Not only is Oliver following in his father's footsteps in Yes.
He's also playing keys on the latest (2009) Strawbs album, Dancing To The Devil's Beat. (http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=24665)

Has anybody heard this? Rumor is he's doing a marvellous job.

Meng
06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
It's a good album with some solid work by Wakeman Jr.

melody
06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I love the album. My favourite is The boy who wouldn't leave Grimsby sung by Dave Lambert!
I believe they will be touring 'electric' in the Autumn in Canada, then UK in November!

rick not wakeman
06-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Acoustic tour of the US in September.
I posted about this release upon its release, praising Oliver's keys (much better than in Yes). Got zero response as I recall.

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?t=56180

melody
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
That's a shame. They are such an underated band.

oldyesfan
06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Agree 100 %. Strawbs are fantastic and Oliver does an excellent job.

rick not wakeman
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
That's a shame. They are such an underated band.

Actually, Melody, your husband (I believe, Meng, no?) did post a reply to my original post some months later. I'm glad others are digging this disc. Indeed,this site can at times be frustrating in that here's a band with a strong historic (Wakeman) connection to Yes, who continue to produce and beautifully perform wonderful music both new and old (in both their acoustic and electric iterations--I've seen both), unlike some other band I could name (Yes) and yet there appears to be minimal interest here.

Meng
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Actually, Melody, your husband (I believe, Meng, no?)

:lmao:

Er, no! Some people in here had us married off months ago but we're far too sensible ...

melody
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not the marrying type...but I do like The Strawbs!

Paul Allen
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
In the Strawbs like his father. In Yes like his Father. Would be an unknown playing in clubs if it wasn't for his father.

Camphire
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
In the Strawbs like his father. In Yes like his Father. Would be an unknown playing in clubs if it wasn't for his father.

Totally uncalled for!

:duel:

Mostly Harmless
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Totally uncalled for!

:duel:

I agree.

jpirard
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM

REALLY??? From their DVD, the OLIVER WAKEMAN band is not in a 'club'.

And he has 5-6 albums out. Earns his living making music, and performing. UNKNOWNS don't do that as a rule.

As far as the Strabs thing, the slot was open, he was hired, and LO AND BEHOLD, he actually got to make an album! BTW, the keyboardist that had during his YES tenure and one of their electric tours, was FULLY aware he was a temp. OLIVER is IN THE STRAWBS, and they tour regularly, ( yes in clubs, AND concert halls ) I would love that life...

smatt
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
You knwo I can't say as I've heard much of the Strawbs to be honest... I guess I'll have to give them a listen! :headset:

smatt
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM

:thinking:

Cute really cute... And rather classy I might add :rolleyes:

jpirard
04-11-2011, 06:05 PM
BTW the DVD is called COMING TO TOWN

http://youtu.be/frve4DOSUsI

( this is the OLIVER WAKEMAN BAND )

kirk
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
BTW the DVD is called COMING TO TOWN

http://youtu.be/frve4DOSUsI

( this is the OLIVER WAKEMAN BAND )

An XP-30 ?! How old is this ?? (and please spare me the "vintage"
thing...it's not.)

K

oldyesfan
04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
You knwo I can't say as I've heard much of the Strawbs to be honest... I guess I'll have to give them a listen! :headset:

Love the Strawbs - Have been a fan since the 70s. Oliver does a great job on the latest album - Dancing to the Devil's Beat. Unfortunately, they replaced him when he got the Yes gig. Hopefully they bring him back - unless perhaps he wants to stop working with guys his father's age and keep building his own career. He is very talented and I never had an issue with him being in the band.

kirk
04-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuCHawtzZc

( This ain't it, but ) Lady Fuschia was a biggie on 70's college FM .

K

jpirard
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Love the Strawbs - Have been a fan since the 70s. Oliver does a great job on the latest album - Dancing to the Devil's Beat. Unfortunately, they replaced him when he got the Yes gig. Hopefully they bring him back - unless perhaps he wants to stop working with guys his father's age and keep building his own career. He is very talented and I never had an issue with him being in the band.

Actually his replacement is a temp. They were willing to take him back whenever he was available.

Mind Driver
04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

You find a thread that was last posted on in June 2010 and bring it out to personally insult a Yes band member.

Tasteless.

Oliver was an award winning keys player before he joined Yes, and you would know that if you did your homework.