PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought this yet????

1yesfan
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
http://concert-online.com/en/artist/20066/YES.html

how is the sound? is it all bottled up sounding or does the drums and bass come out real well.
I have not really heard anything good sounding from the current lineup yet as I have not seen them live and looked at a few clips on YOUTUBE on my lousy PC system.

Bobby Dread
11-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Very interesting. Quite a bit on the pricey side, though.

Tim, you can hear 30 second snippets from the play buttons on the right hand side. If you have dial-up, like me, let it completely load, then move the progress bar back to the beginning and you can hear it.

Sounds like a decent recording to me.

Sharp on Attack
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
already a thread about this guys
http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?t=56820

oliasdoug
11-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I think I'm going to wait to hear what others in here recommend before plunking down some cash for any of these. From the samples I've heard, I noticed 2 of the same things that I noticed at the San Diego concert last July: 1. The recording of "Siberian Khatru," the concert opener, sounds horrible. The band sounds like they're struggling pitifully through it. 2. Alan's drums are still buried ridiculously deep in the mix.

So, I think I'll wait a little while.

Pete Griggs
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
I am waiting for mine to arrive, the queue was too long in the theatre on the night to buy it.

1yesfan
11-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Huuum, I don't know. Seems to me BD voice wavers a lot on the cuts.

Frumious B
11-21-2009, 08:46 AM

I got the Birmingham show and, aside from a quibble here or there, the sound quality is good, not fantastic, but extremely listenable. Don't buy that ovepriced USB stick though. Go with the download only option where you get the exact same files without a superfluous hunk of plastic with a Yes logo on it for less than half the price if you include the shipping for the stick. I think that BD hits his notes pretty well, but what seems to be happening in places, at least on the Birmingham download, is that Squire and Howe are off with their backing vocals which kinda hangs BD out to dry and maybe he is unsure on whether to hold the pitch at which he is singing and let Squire and Howe come to him or if he should modulate his pitch and go to them. Could that be the source of the "wavering" you are hearing?

hughmacph
11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I bought the USB stick at the Edinburgh show.

Decent recording, sampled at 320kbps mp3. Lossless would have been nice (but not a common file format). Takes them a few minutes to sort out levels - in Edinburgh, BD was virtually inaudible, but was slowly "brought-up."

OK, a bit pricey, but then aren't the T-Shirts? Worth a one-time purchase as a momento of the gig. but I won't be rushing to buy others to DL.

- Hugh

Mind Driver
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM

It does live too.

the greenman
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, it's Wednesday night, the guys are playing in Belfast in an hour or so... time for a bit of time travelling & maybe another download to 'tune in' to the concert. Its quite fun, this 'compare & contrast'.. which one shall I listen too tonight..? hmm, maybe I fancy a bit of Bristol!

Meng
11-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, it's Wednesday night, the guys are playing in Belfast in an hour or so... time for a bit of time travelling & maybe another download to 'tune in' to the concert. Its quite fun, this 'compare & contrast'.. which one shall I listen too tonight..? hmm, maybe I fancy a bit of Bristol!

I'd be interested in your opinion on this one if you do go for it GM.

the greenman
11-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd be interested in your opinion on this one if you do go for it GM.

download has just completed.. I cant think of a better accompaniment to doing a VAT return.. I'm expecting to hear a lot of hooting & hollering from the front row!!

:headset:

the greenman
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
well, only 3 tracks into it (but that's the cashbook finished - hehe!) . The mix is better from the off (vocals higher) and it sounds a much more confident & relaxed vocal performance from Benoit than on the other download I have. It's interesting comparing the dialogue between the songs & the subtle variations. How they grind it out night after night is impressive. Other thoughts later, if I have time.

Meng
11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
cant think of a better accompaniment to doing a VAT return.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-044.gif

They should put that on the tour poster. Or perhaps not ...

Pete Griggs
11-25-2009, 04:05 PM
OK, a bit pricey, but then aren't the T-Shirts? Worth a one-time purchase as a momento of the gig. but I won't be rushing to buy others to DL.

- Hugh

Exactly my thought too Hugh. It is a momento from a time in your life you'll never get back. Surely that is priceless?

I got my USB stick today and love it. Who cares if you can't hear the cymbal on the 3rd bar of the second verse of *insert song*, I don't need to disect every note.

I'm just happy with it bringing back memories of a fantastic night spent with 3000 Yes fans.

the greenman
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-044.gif

They should put that on the tour poster. Or perhaps not ...

er.. I'd vote for NOT. But at least it was an incentive to me to stay seated in one play for a couple of hours! Maybe we should start a thread 'what's the weirdest thing you've ever done listening to Yes'.

but then again maybe not!

AwakeMan
12-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I bought the MP3 stick online for the Belfast concert. All in all I'm very pleased with it. The sound quality and balance when played thru my hi-fi is very good, nearly as good as CD I'd say. The stick is nicely presented in a dinky presentation box with the venue and date and the Yes logo is on the stick. It would be a perfect gift for a Yes friend.

The performance was great that night and the two songs from "Drama" suit the new line-up. The punchier songs fare better for Benoit David. He can't match Jon Anderson for range and expression in "And You and I" and the tuning of some of the vocal harmonies is a bit off in some of the longer pieces.

But this is a nice thing to have - as someone else said a memento of the tour - and I'm quite glad I bought it.

Melissa
12-16-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm not happy that they're releasing these shows in lossy format. I wonder if they know there's a choice?