PDA

View Full Version : playing "...spoiler..." on this tour.....

Yes Chaser
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
the only thing that seems to be bugging me looking at the current setlist is the fact that Onward is included. Yes, it's Squire's song and yes the band all have little nice majestic melodies on it and yes it is a wonderful song, but its really a song which showcases Jon's wonderful voice before anything else. I'm not trying to open up (yet) another new can of wurms here (nice pun aswell) but I think its a song Benoit should stay well clear of.......

I see Yes (yes, I said Yes!!!) in 9 days in Edinburgh and im very excited about the setlist except for onward....

If Steve Howe and his two specials guests read this post within 9 days then please drop it.........

Cheers peeps (lol) xxx

Entish1
11-11-2009, 12:23 AM
I saw the show last year in Milwaukee, WI. As it turned out, Onward turned out to be one of two magical moments that night. Surprised the heck out of me, I might add. He sang it beautifully - you might just give it a chance!

Enjoy the show.

Micah68
11-11-2009, 04:21 AM
whilst i like Onward - i feel there are other tracks YES could play that they have not played for ages

but it must be a big fav of chris squires and the band

gitsy
11-11-2009, 05:28 AM
I am so pleased they are playing Onward it's a beautiful song.

daniel sylvain
11-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Onward was a selection made by Benoît when they got together before the * In the present * tour..
Chris asked Benoît if he had a special song he'd like to add in the setlist...Then Onward was picked..
Benoît said that this song was very special to him..

Yescelt
11-11-2009, 06:30 AM
I LOVE IT! I had a tear in my in Bratislava.

InverYes
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Like the song, but not sure if it was a good idea for this tour.

Benoit taking on such a "Jon song" as this is either very brave or leading with his chin.

Still looking forward to hearing it although it will certainly be the song of the set that has the entire audience thinking of Jon.

gitsy
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Like the song, but not sure if it was a good idea for this tour.

Benoit taking on such a "Jon song" as this is either very brave or leading with his chin.

Still looking forward to hearing it although it will certainly be the song of the set that has the entire audience thinking of Jon.

Not sure why it's such a Jon song. Wasn't it written by Squire?

InverYes
11-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Not sure why it's such a Jon song. Wasn't it written by Squire?

Yup, but that's not what I hear.

harty
11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
until this current lineup makes its own songs...every song they perform will be someone else's YES song.
Am I too look at this and say...hey, machine messiah is such a Trevor song that they should have left it off the tour!!!
We've commented, debated and showed our passion many times over the fact that this tour has different band members.
Today's tour..IS WHAT IT IS...I enjoyed seeing them perform live. Each and every song.
End of story for this guy.
In 9 days you will experience a live YES show. Have no reservations...just enjoy!!!

Olias of BurryPort
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Yup, but that's not what I hear.

I agree with you.

So the story goes that Benoit picked this song to play live as he wanted to do it.

Surely you should establish what your target market i.e audience want and then deliver that and not cover personal favourites

Onward would certainly not be on my list.

Frumious B
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
IMHO it's no good and no fair picking, choosing and saying "This song is OK, but they shouldn't do THIS song because it's too Jon." because every song, Drama stuff excepted, is going to be "too Jon" for somebody somewhere. You either sleep in the bed you made in regards to this lineup or you don't.

kirk
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
We probably shouldn't even get into Awaken...

K

Olias of BurryPort
11-11-2009, 11:11 AM
IMHO it's no good and no fair picking, choosing and saying "This song is OK, but they shouldn't do THIS song because it's too Jon." because every song, Drama stuff excepted, is going to be "too Jon" for somebody somewhere. You either sleep in the bed you made in regards to this lineup or you don't.

I think maybe he means that Jons voice is the dominant factor on Onward.

Micah68
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree with you.

So the story goes that Benoit picked this song to play live as he wanted to do it.

Surely you should establish what your target market i.e audience want and then deliver that and not cover personal favourites

Onward would certainly not be on my list.

---

agreed

there are plenty of others to choose from

i do love the version on keys with the new intro

remember that ?

:beerchugr:

tommc
11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
At the show that I saw Onward was clearly one of the highlights. One of Benoit's best moments.

ladybugjt68
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
YES onward is a great song...YES they play it flawlessly...YES it is one of my favorites...

I hated hearing BENNY singing it....

bjlevine
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I had never heard Onward live before, so I was thrilled when they played it. And Yes, it was Benoit's choice, not Chris.

kirklott
11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Dude, the title of your thread is a SPOILER!!!

ariceffron
11-18-2009, 09:02 PM
aric chiming in here: from the get-go of this era of yes ONWARD was the 1st and probably to this day only thing i was 1000% satisified with with this era of yes......GRANTED oliver doesn't mess up the french-horn keyboard part like hes done at 93% of the concerts

1yesfan
11-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I wish they had left it out. I think it one that should be done by a JON lead yes. Just my .02 which aint worth much at the end of the day. Like some have said here. It is a Jon dominant lead song.

crotale2112
11-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I wish they had left it out. I think it one that should be done by a JON lead yes. Just my .02 which aint worth much at the end of the day. Like some have said here. It is a Jon dominant lead song.
I hear what your saying..

But what if we had this little fella play the french horn solo..
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/7320878-md.jpg

the greenman
11-21-2009, 10:17 AM
It is a Jon dominant lead song.

written by Chris, I recall...

Meng
11-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I hear what your saying..

But what if we had this little fella play the french horn solo..
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/7320878-md.jpg

I'd pay to see that!!!

relayeire
11-21-2009, 10:50 AM

I believe Benoit David himself requested they do the song.

the greenman
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I believe Benoit David himself requested they do the song.

He said as much in the intro at London, I think.

the horn part is played by OW on the keys. The only weak spot, I felt (in terms of the 'sound' chosen)

Apollo 77
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I actually enjoyed hearing 'Onward' played live as it was the 1st time I've seen YES play it. I'd rather they'd dispose of OOALH, I'm really not keen on the song at all - as someone said on another thread, it seems to be a 'Scottish' thing!

relayeire
11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
He said as much in the intro at London, I think.

the horn part is played by OW on the keys. The only weak spot, I felt (in terms of the 'sound' chosen)

Benoit's performance was really strong at the show I saw, December '08 in Clearwater, FL. He got a round of applause for holding the last note smoothly. I never got to hear the horn solo - there was an equipment malfunction at that point. So the band just continued underneath until David came back in.

solano
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I actually enjoyed hearing 'Onward' played live as it was the 1st time I've seen YES play it. I'd rather they'd dispose of OOALH, I'm really not keen on the song at all - as someone said on another thread, it seems to be a 'Scottish' thing!

Must be a northen thing, i would like to see owner dropped in favour of any other yes song.

Timmo
11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Onward is a chick song.

nzyesfan
11-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Must be a northen thing, i would like to see owner dropped in favour of any other yes song.

Must be a world-wide thing. I'd rather hear silence than Owner

p

yesyadda
11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
"On waaaaa troo da naaaaaaaaa of ma laaaaaaaaaaaa............."

Yes.2
11-21-2009, 07:14 PM
:horse:

kirk
11-21-2009, 08:10 PM
:horse:

:eyewobble:cheer::toilet::huh::frankie:...:dunno:

K

yesyadda
11-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Doo doo doo, doo doo doodoo doooooooooo..................

Da dadaaaaaaaaa..... da da da daaaaaaaaaaaa......................

Hey- at least I ain't in the politics thread. :beerchugr:

Ig
11-22-2009, 07:15 AM
aric chiming in here: from the get-go of this era of yes ONWARD was the 1st and probably to this day only thing i was 1000% satisified with with this era of yes......GRANTED oliver doesn't mess up the french-horn keyboard part like hes done at 93% of the concerts

have you been to, or heard recordings of 93% of the concerts then?

Altres
11-22-2009, 07:30 AM
have you been to, or heard recordings of 93% of the concerts then?
Didn't you know that 72.9563% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Brian

Meng
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
This goes slightly off topic, but is the song really called "Onward (Into Unity)"?
I can't recall ever coming across that name other than on these live mp3 sticks...but then I am not a walking Yesyclopedia like some...
Please, enlighten me..?

It was called Unity/Onward on Keys 1.

nzyesfan
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
It was called Unity/Onward on Keys 1.

Yep. Steve wrote the new Onward Intro "Unity" in 1996 so I suppose that makes it the most _recent_ piece of Yes music thats being played on this current tour.

paul

GregOrlando
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I think Onward is a beautiful song and I'm really looking forward to hearing it love for the first time. I also hope the Drama songs stay in the set!

somissound
01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I think Onward is a beautiful song and I'm really looking forward to hearing it love for the first time. I also hope the Drama songs stay in the set!

It is the most interesting power-packed set they have done since Masterworks Tour imo... Astral Traveler friggin' smokes....

You will be stoked! :headset:

HaroldLand
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Something from Tormato is better than nothing from Tormato. Onward is a gem.

rocinante17
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
something from tormato is better than nothing from tormato. Onward is a gem.

ditto

rocinante17
01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
What are the chances Parallels gets back in the setilst this leg?

Frumious B
02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Major setlist spoiler here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKPrQJXwpwY&feature=related

Joe
02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
We probably shouldn't even get into Awaken...

K
I just got up to this post and stopped. "NO WAY"!

Zulubass
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing it...