PDA

View Full Version : The First Concert you ever went to: Where, When, WHO?

Dances w/PURPLE
01-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Post your first concert experience here.

What did you think? How did you feel? The best part of the show was?

Share away!

Dances w/PURPLE
01-28-2003, 09:59 AM
I'll start.

The very first concert I went to was at the Fairgrounds in Louisville, Kentucky. It was 1973 and I saw Seals and Croft.
The crowd was very mellow! I can't remember who opened for them....hmmm, good thing to research, and we had what was then called "festival seating" which was the floor right in front of the stage. I went with my sister and her friend and ran into two classmates of mine! I was 13. I was hooked for life and this experience made me a LMA

Live
Music
Addict

YESiDrum
01-28-2003, 10:33 AM
my first was the yessymphonic tour (8-21-01) at the mann center in philly. my brother and i went (sort of a very early present for my bro's birthday). i was in the second level but i didn't care too much cause i was just happy to be there. i felt the whole concert was awesome! there's just this whole cool vibe going on at those concerts. (or maybe that was the second hand pot-smoke?)

Martin Riley
01-28-2003, 11:36 AM
first proper one was KingCrimson about Feb '73 but I must admit to having seen Freddie & The Dreamers some years before in panto

RobAdams
01-28-2003, 11:51 AM
I've seen many of those concerts you go to just for something to do. In my early teens I saw The Beach Boys, Chicago, Blue Oyster Cult, and even the dreaded David Cassidy concert! It may have been 1974 or 1975 when my aunt Elise took me & my sister to see a double bill - Loggins & Messina opening for Seals & Crofts at the New Haven Coliseum.

The next shows were ones I went to because I specifically wanted to see the particular bands. I consider them my first shows because I actually pursued the tickets. The shows above were ones where I was given unexpected tickets, or was unexpectedly brought to by someone else's treat.

First concert I saw that I paid for was FRANK ZAPPA at R.P.I. Fieldhouse in Troy NY...sometime in 1976. It was the seldom seen line up with Lady Bianca Thornton on keys & b.g. vocals. Most of the show featured songs that eventually came out on the Zoot Allures and Zappa In New York albums, plus a few more.

The next show I went to by my own devices was YES in New Haven - 1978. In the round, need I say more?

mess
01-28-2003, 01:09 PM
first concert i ever attended was Black Sabbath & Deep Purple at the municipal audatorum in atlanta when i was a kid. that was the loudest show i ever saw until i saw the Who at the omni, the Who was the loudest until i saw YES at the tabernacle in '99.
other honerable mentions in my youth were Angel (any one remember them?) & RUSH at alex cooley's electric ballroom in atlanta about '76 or so. i got in on a draft card because i looked older than 14... lol all those early concerts were totally awesome!

mark

Dances w/PURPLE
01-28-2003, 03:41 PM
You all reminded me of the loudest concert I ever went to. I remember The Who having a reputation as being the loudest but it's got to be a tie between Led Zepplin in 77 and Aerosmith in 76.
I was up against the crowd barriers, literally shoved up against the wood front and center to Steven Tyler's lips. I could not hear myself talk for two days!

It's only Rock & Roll but I like it!

...which reminds me...the Stones were loud as well.

nightliner
01-28-2003, 04:31 PM
My first concert was headlined by Deep Purple, with the supporting bands Three Man Army and Mandrill. It was during the days that Deep Purple held for Guiness record for the loudest rock band. They definately deserved it. The best part of the show was the light show and Ritchie Blackmore destroying his guitar and amps.

A year or so later I saw my first Yes concert(Tales tour), which blew away that light show.

yes_angel
01-28-2003, 08:20 PM
KISS was my first concert way way way back middle 70's I
would say

Faceintheplace
01-28-2003, 08:30 PM
My first ever concert was Yes during their 1994 Talk Tour when they played Montreal. That was before I had the internet so I didn't even know about the show until Much Music (Canadian MTV) announced the show about two weeks beforehand, so I didn't get a very good seat. Good show though. They did most of the Talk album. I remember "Heart of the Sunrise" being very good too. Jon said that it was written "A zillion years ago on the planet Zongo."

Sheerah
01-28-2003, 09:00 PM
My first concert was The Beach Boys, back in, maybe.....1972? They were playing at the college around the corner from my house, Newark State College. It's called Kean College now. My Mom scammed tickets for me and a friend. It was held in a small lecture hall. No instruments! It was great!

The second show was at Madison Square Garden. It was, once again, the Beach Boys AND Chicago. Gosh, I think I was 11 years old. My friend Harlee won tickets on the radio. My Dad drove us in to NYC and waited in the car until the show was over. Man, that's devotion, huh.

BrianD
01-29-2003, 03:15 AM
My first 'real' concert - in that it was a proper concert tour - was Joe Cocker in Sydney, 1972. He was wild in those days - as the concert went on the more he drank and the better it got. He was actually deported from Australia on that tour for having a stash of marijuana.

In the mid 60's I saw the Bee Gees perform in the 'Bandstand' show at the Sydney Easter Show - basically an agricultural show like your American State Fairs. It was a freebie - you just wandered into a tent (or more correctly squeezed in) and a few local TV music stars sang a few songs each. Needless to say this was before they had had their first hit in Australia let alone the rest of the world. They were pretty young then. I was at best a teenager. So in a way they were my first concert.

Trevor Walker
01-29-2003, 03:32 AM
It was so long ago..........difficult to remember...........

I think it was Family (or Streetwalkers) in about 1971 or 2. I certainly remember that Roger Chapman and Charlie Whitney were on stage. The gig was at the Free Trade Hall, in Manchester, England.

I took my (then) girlfriend who was into Cat Stevens, Bread and Neil Sedaka ! We were 2 or 3 rows from the front just left of centre stage, and everytime Roger Chapman shook his head we got hit with his sweat ! Also a peice of his half destroyed tambourine whizzed over my head, hitting the girl behind and to my left in the face !

Being a very shy young lad I remember being totally overawed at the loudness and energy on stage. My girlfriend hated every minute ! If she could have walked out she would have !

Flo
01-29-2003, 04:09 AM
My first concert was Dire Straits in 1985. It was great to see Mark Knopfler and his guitars, the grand piano on stage and even Sting as a guest star for the "I want my MTV" chorus.

Andersonic
01-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Hey Angel KISS was my first band too...

Back in 1980 my dear siter and brother-in-law gave me a ticket to go see KISS in november...I still remember the feeling I got when I saw the blue advance ticket...I couldn't believe it...I would see the poster on the wall come to life!

The concert was without Peter Criss, who left just before the tour, Eric Carr was the new kid, with his first Fox make up...

High the memory!!

yes_angel
01-29-2003, 08:19 AM
Vey good show indeed Andersonic,in fact I had seen them more than once,at a back door in New York City where they where playing they came out before the show and Gene Simmons stuck his tounge out at me LOL

Andersonic
01-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Did he scare you? ; )

What's your favourite album and song by KISS?
ALIVE and ALIVE II have the original KISSMAGIC for me...

yes_angel
01-29-2003, 09:37 AM
LOL no he didnt scare me Andersonic,I actually like all of there albums,my fav would be Live1 and 11 what about Destroyer? Pretty good. I seen them also once again in New York City when Peter was still in the band,he had me in tears when he sat on his chair singing Beth

Olias_01
01-29-2003, 01:25 PM
My fist concert was Public Image Ltd. (PIL) at the Rainbow in London 1978/9, can't remember which, although I remember it was Boxing Day.......It blew me away.

therifferoo
01-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Thin Lizzy, Ian Guillan, and Nazereth 1975 at The Aragon Brawlroom, um, I mean, Ballroom in Chicago. Thin Lizzy opened their show with "Jailbreak"....and as they hit the opening power-chord, HUGE flashpot explosions went off engulfing the stage and first maybe 5 or 6 rows of the audience in sparkling white fireworks!! LOL!! I'll bet a few people went home without eyebrows!! Ha ha ha!! What a rock n roll show THAT was....after the whole experience, I never turned back!! Ha ha!!
LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!!!!

Loudest shows:
Van Halen ~ 1980? '81?
TED NUGENT ~ I swear, THE loudest show I've ever been to.....the Motor City Madman....and, he was exactly that!! LOL!!
Aerosmith ~ 1976 and late '80s.
Rick Derringer ~ at a club in suburban Chicago about 10 years ago. Rock N Roll Hootchiekoooooooo!!!!
Joe Walsh ~ late 1980s? (The Got Any Gum? tour)

NOTHING, however, was louder than a long-standing metal club (that unfortunately burnt down several years ago) that was a staple of Chicago nightlife for rock n rollers for many many years...
THE THIRSTY WHALE
(remember that place, Joedude?)
On any given Friday or Saturday night, you could have your brains blasted out for $10 a pop...metal, hair, spandex, leather n grit....and volume, volume, VOLUME!!!! Ha ha ha!! Saw some great bands there, and played there a few times, too....man, talk about ears ringing for days n days afterwards....I think I still hear a little feedback now n then from that place!!! LOL!!

~Riff!

Dances w/PURPLE
01-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Anyone remember The Token Lounge on the west side of Detroit?

ahhh now we speak of LOUDNESS

yup, it was Aerosmith.

Concert I don't remember....Boston. I was somewhere in the rafters with some friends.

novitd
01-30-2003, 12:04 AM
My first concert was Peter Frampton in 1976 at the New Haven Coliseum. I went with my best friend at the time, and it's funny to think that my parents had to drive us. It was interesting trying to meet up with them after the show.

I think we were swooning over Peter in his tight satin pants!

Diane

Thoughtbecontact
01-30-2003, 12:35 AM
My first "real" concert was Elton John at the Chicago Stadium in 1975. Sat in the first balcony on the side of the stage where Elton was. Went with first boyfriend whom I dumped the following year when he enlisted in the US Airforce.

Now we can talk about the "performers" my parents dragged me to see with them on vacation. Ahem, ahem, Don Ho in Honolulu in 1969...and it gets even better--Liberace at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs in 1971. Talk about schlock!

Dances w/PURPLE
01-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Now we can talk about the "performers" my parents dragged me to see with them on vacation. Ahem, ahem, Don Ho in Honolulu in 1969...and it gets even better--Liberace at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs in 1971. Talk about schlock! [/B][/QUOTE]

Had a friend (or fiend) that this happened to. Actually, HA! it was my husband. His parents are much older than the typical fam.
He was LUCKY BOY and got to see Lawrence Welk's resort! Hoo-rah. He only told me this after we had been together for quite some time. I think it scarred him. Ha!

PO
01-30-2003, 03:37 PM
It was either Grand Funk Phoenix tour or Creedence Mardi Gras tour (Sweet Hitchhiker was the hit). I think it was Creedence, though. I was in the 9th grade for both of these, so I must have been 14 years old.

Creedence was a fairly gentile crowd, but EVERY concert after that was obscurred by clouds (of pot smoke). Of course that all ended with political correctness. Too bad.

Loudest was Black Sabbath Sabotage. Outdoor concert, 1975. The snare drum physically made my shirt waft and tremble in the moving air! We stuffed cigarette filters (unused) in our ears for attenuation.
"Generals gathered in their masse-e-e-e-e-e-s...BOOM BOOM"

glories of Babyl

Yes Oz
01-30-2003, 07:50 PM
1967 - Bristol Colston Hall.

Package Tour (They were the rage in those days). Most of the bands on that night were,

The Nice
Eire Apparant
Amen Corner
The Move
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix

The Nice open the show with their classic "Rondo". This was my first ever live performance. And what a performance Keith Emerson put on in those days. He became my first "music hero" The other groups played about three or four numbers each, then the show was finished off by a Jimi Hendrix set of about 45mins. What a night. I was only 15 at the time and it was this experience that meant that music was going to be so important to me in my life.

of course then Yes came along a few years later and there was no turning back. I was hooked..........and still are.....am......is whatever.

tardistraveler
02-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Mess - I too saw Deep Purple in Atlanta, but it was at the Omni - 1972 I think. ZZ Top was the opener. You also mentioned The Who - did you see them do Quadrophenia at the Omni?

My first concert was Herman's Hermits - I think 1965. I was 11/12 at the time. My friend Paulette invited me to go - her mother was going, and her younger sister and a friend. After much begging and pleading, my mother acquiesed and let me go, since Paulette's mother was also going. But she was so cool - let us sit by ourselves! I didn't tell my mother that!

Everyone was screaming like it was the Beatles or something - couldn't hardly hear what they were playing!

As to the loudest concert - heck they were all loud! I do remember one in particular where my ears hurt pretty bad afterwards. I'm thinking it was Jethro Tull - opening act was the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (NOT). We had front row seats directly in front of the speakers. And the opening act was so bad - sound was very distorted. Definitely rough on the ears!

David Zygo
02-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Dear Dances,
It was In Lubbock Texas...Bubble Puppy opened for Stepenwolf..The main thing I remember: Jon Kay had this acrylic "see thru" guitar that he leaned up against the Hammond B3(what was his name--the organist) anyway, after the second song, the guitar fell to the stage and caused a horrible feedback!!! lol I thought Bubble Puppy blew them away!
DZ

Dances w/PURPLE
02-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Bubble Puppy? Missed them. Would have loved to have seen that acrylic guitar!

YES Oz..I am now returning to the timetraveler thread. I wish to have been there with you. Oh my. Jimi live? Whoooooooooo.

tardistraveler
02-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I seem to recall Bubble Puppy - weren't they one-hit wonders? Anyone remember their hit song?

I missed seeing Steppenwolf here in Nashville - my friends went, and I couldn't get permission to go.

1yesfan
02-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Lexington KY, Genesis tour. Supporting the album with Mama on it.

scooter13
02-05-2003, 08:29 PM
My first concert was the band Boston in 1987 (I believe) at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. This was the tour in support of "Third Stage". It was quickly followed by my first Yes concert at the same place for the "Big Generator" tour.

The loudest concert I went to was the Damn Yankees at Pine Knob, and outdoor venue well north of Detroit. I can't imagine how bad it would have been indoors.

Hey Dances, I never was to the Token Loungue, but I heard of it (many times advertised on WRIF or WLLZ). ;)

Raphaela
02-05-2003, 10:05 PM
First rock concert was the Kinks in (probably) 1980. Red Ryder opened.

First concert, concert - hard to say. I know I saw my first opera when I was about five years old - my parents are both singers and I know I got dragged to lots of their shows before I was old enough to say "no"!

First yes concert was the 90125 tour.

Awakened
02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Jumped in the deep end and saw a sprite Ozzy with Black Sabbath in 1973/4 supported by Badger

First Yes gig was QPR in '75

Olias_01
02-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Awakened,

<jealous> What was the gig at QPR like? Was it packed? tell all please describe the atmosphere?

Awakened
02-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Olias_01
Awakened,

<jealous> What was the gig at QPR like? Was it packed? tell all please describe the atmosphere?

Okay, you asked for it.
Where do I begin?
Was a long time ago but still have some vivid memories of that day. Had been into Yes for about 2/3 years by the time of the Relayer tour. Had just missed seeing the boys do all those nights at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park in 1972 (?). So was with both eager anticipation and excitement that myself and friends found ourselves walking around Shepherd's Bush that Saturday morning clutching our precious £2.50 tickets. There must have been a real surplus of tickets since I remember the touts trying to offload them for the knockdown price of £2. (Bloody good job too. Touts: don't you just love them). There was some kind of cursory search as we went through the turnstiles. Pretty ineffective since we had some sizeable bottles of wine under our jackets, which went, unnoticed.

I think we went in at about midday. The first band wasn't due on stage until 2pm. We were sitting fairly high up in one of the stands when Gryphon appeared. I'd heard of them but didn't know anything by them. The crowd seemed to appreciate them almost immediately. As an impressionable teenager at the time I loved the mediaeval folk rock they played. Sadly, their set only lasted about 45mins. Overall Gryphon were really well received.

Sometime around 3.30pm (ish) Ace came on to do a set. They were pretty poor actually and very few people really paid them any attention. Don't know what happened to this band. Think they were booked to do this gig off the back of a single they had in the charts at the time. (‘I ain't gonna stand for this no more’). We were still in the stand at this time and the pitch was getting very crowded.

Sometime around 5pm Seals & Crofts took the stage. (I remember being disappointed that SAHB weren't going to be supporting Yes at this gig like they would do a week later at Stoke). However I have much to thank Seals & Crofts for. They got almost the whole of the crowd on their feet towards the end of their set. This provided a great opportunity to sneak down onto the pitch and work our way towards the stage. We finished up left of centre about 20 yards from the front. Thought we daren't risk upsetting too many people by pushing too far forward. So the crowd was pretty high by the end of S & C and really keyed up for Yes. Of course now everybody on the pitch wanted to sit down!! Trouble is it was now about twice as crowded as it had been so everybody seemed to be sitting on everybody else. I recall a rather nice girl sitting on my left knee for the next hour or so! When I think back it was pretty uncomfortable but I didn’t care since my favourite band was shortly coming on.

At some point a lighting gantry, which was, placed bang in the middle of the pitch started to move with the heave of the crowd. Pretty dangerous when I look back.
Evening was approaching when Nicky Horn introduced Yes. The Firebird suite ‘fired-up’. At last Yes were about to appear. It sure made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up I can tell you. As the curtains opened and the band took the stage most people’s eyes were drawn towards these large multi-coloured fibreglass mushrooms. (Unilluminated at this stage: it was still barely dusk.). The crowd seemed to be sitting almost obediently on the pitch. It has never ceased to amaze me how well behaved the Yes audience was on that day and still is to this day. They opened with Soundchaser. Some here have commented how this is such a difficult number to perform live. Maybe, but it sounded damned good to me. They followed it with the one number I really wanted to experience above all others: CTTE. To me this was heaven on earth. I was riding high on wave upon wave of sound. And so it went on. Song after song performed to perfection. To Be Over, GoD, AYAI and then Ritual. It was fantastic then as it is today. It was pitch dark by now and it was during Ritual that the now famous Roger Dean set really came into it’s own. The pods began to glow with a translucent throbbing before slowly opening to produce a wonderful canopy of light over Alan White during the percussion sequence. All of the songs were so familiar to me with the exception of Sweet Dreams, which formed part of the encore. My Yes album collection at the time started at TYA and so this was one song I’d not heard. It is the one and only time I have seen them perform this live and it was exquisite. (Would be fabulous if they performed it on the European leg of the current tour). The encore began with the now obligatory Roundabout. The audience was on its feet rocking. People were lifting one another onto shoulders as the show reached its climax, finally closing with YIND.

All good things must inevitably come to an end and so it was an excitedly high crowd left Loftus Road at about 10pm that evening. I was buzzing and wishing I’d bought tickets for the following week’s gig at Stoke. As it happens I already had tickets to see Led Zepplin at Earls Court the following week. Those tickets were gold dust but I would gladly have swapped though I doubt anybody leaving the ground that night would have obliged.

I got hold of a copy of the DVD of this concert a few weeks back and have recently been able to re-live it.
:cheers:

Have attached a screen shot from the DVD

Olias_01
02-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Awakened,

Thanks so much for that, I was back there with you for just a few minutes........

Is the dvd decent quality?

tardistraveler
02-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Awakened - Thanks for sharing the experience!

I saw the Relayer tour 4 times here in the US. It was truly an awsome show. Your recount takes me back!

Is this DVD readily available? How might one acquire it?

Olias_01
02-06-2003, 01:29 PM
If you want to see an amazing collection of Yes and other prog stuff for sale visit www.timelapse-records.co.uk

The amount of Yes merchandise is unbelievable...

Awakened
02-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Olias_01
Awakened,

Thanks so much for that, I was back there with you for just a few minutes........

Is the dvd decent quality?

Not great quality but the best that's out there from those days. I think it captures a raw side of Yes that isn't available elsewhere. For me it was a must have in order to be able to re-live that day. There is a thread on this subject elsewhere on the site.
Bought my copy through ebay. Had to import it from a store in California. Was worth every penny to me.

Awakened
02-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Oops another screenshot I meant to post earlier.
This one is taken during 'Soundchaser' off the QPR DVD

mess
02-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by tardistraveler
Mess - I too saw Deep Purple in Atlanta, but it was at the Omni - 1972 I think. ZZ Top was the opener. You also mentioned The Who - did you see them do Quadrophenia at the Omni?

My first concert was Herman's Hermits - I think 1965. I was 11/12 at the time. My friend Paulette invited me to go - her mother was going, and her younger sister and a friend. After much begging and pleading, my mother acquiesed and let me go, since Paulette's mother was also going. But she was so cool - let us sit by ourselves! I didn't tell my mother that!

Everyone was screaming like it was the Beatles or something - couldn't hardly hear what they were playing!

As to the loudest concert - heck they were all loud! I do remember one in particular where my ears hurt pretty bad afterwards. I'm thinking it was Jethro Tull - opening act was the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (NOT). We had front row seats directly in front of the speakers. And the opening act was so bad - sound was very distorted. Definitely rough on the ears!

i think it was the quadrphonea tour, i was born in '62. i had an older cousin that would lie to my parents & take me to concerts when i was like 11 or 12! those were the days...

mark

tardistraveler
02-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Mess - Yeah, I think the Quadrophenia tour was late 73 or 74. So, you would have been around 11-12 at the time! Wow - to see that so young - cool! It was an awesome show!

Bluetailfly
02-08-2003, 11:13 AM
I will assume that we are talking "Rock Concert" here, and I will not go in to the various classical musical experiences I had with my mother as a little boy.
Funny thing is, that while I got in to the Grateful Dead relatively late in my rock n roll career (around 15 years old, I had already been way in to Led Zep, Beatles, Who, Stones, Tull, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Floyd, and Jimi Jimi Jimi), they were the first concert I went to. Pittsburgh PA Civic Arena April 1978. Tried to score some acid in the bathroom (how cliche) and got taken for a placebo - I waited all night for it to kick in and nothing happened - oh well it was probably better then having a bad trip.
I didn't know most of the music until right at the end they played Around and Around and I think US Blues. I definitel appreciated their musicianship, especially Phil's bass and Keith sitting at a big white grand . I had no idea then that I would go on to see this band like 200 times over the next 17 years.

My first Yes show was April 1979 in Minneapolis MN in the round. Don't remember a whole lot but being so impressed by Steve's way out there space pedal steel playing.

Loudest show for me had to be Neil and Crazy Horse, back in Pittsburgh in 1986. Man did they rock!

Lucky 7
02-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Gosh I hate to admit this but my very first concert was back in 75'. I was 4 at that time and was unfortunately in love with Shawn Cassidy. How sad is that? :rolleyes:
My mom escorted me to the event, but little did she realize that the whole arena was packed with screaming teenaged girls!!! :eeek: We had great seats but once the show started, he came out in a blast of fire. Mom, whose taste in music was Al Hirt and Herb Albert, grabbed my hand and headed for the exit, as she thought a bomb was let off!! :lmao: As we lefted our seats TONS of girls piled in and we lost our seats as neither one of us was willing to fight the battle. We did watch the rest of the concert from the back and from what I remember it was pretty good. Gezz I was 4 anything could of been good. Thank Goodness my taste in music has change since then. :razz: Shaun Cassidy just doesn't compare to YES, ya know? :clap:

tardistraveler
02-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Hey, when I was 4 I was in love with Ricky Nelson! My sister had his records. And I would watch Ozzie & Harriet on TV just to hear Ricky play a song at the end of the show!

Never saw him in concert, though. You must have had an understanding mom - to take you to see Shawn!

STARRSHIP TROOPER
02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
I used to see Aerosmith every other wheekend 1972 but they were just a bar band then and a$1.00 cover charge. First real concert Judy Collins 1969 and Alice Cooper that same year.
Starrship Trooper

Endless Dream
02-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Mine was "Tangerine Dream" er...1995 i think. i was very young. Shepards Bush Empire, London.

gathernear
02-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Jethro Tull
08/01/75
Dallas, TX
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band opened. The SAHB were amazing!

Larry

Earl Grey
02-08-2003, 10:19 PM
CHICAGO
Hollywood Bowl
1971 (I forget the exact date).

An amazing show: Terry Kath was doing all of his cool feedback work on 'A Hit By Varese' and 'A Song For Richard And His Friends'...

They played an early version of 'Saturday In The Park'...
The show was to promote ChicagoIII: so they did a lot of stuff like 'I Just Want To Be Free' 'Mother' (With all the amazing horn exposition... Fantastic!), and a great version of 'Lowdown'.

Of course, this was before Chicago became a pop group: they were still vital, edgy, and VERY political.
My dad took me, as a birthday present, and I was never the same.

I was listening to the Rhino re-issue of Chicago V today: this was their last GREAT album. After that, it was a crap-shoot. You'd have to dig through the syrup to get to the good stuff, but in 1971 Chicago was really something!

Earl Grey:yesbird:

yesmandroc
02-11-2003, 06:00 PM
My first concert was The Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, and Cracker in 1994 at Riverside Park in Massachusetts. I was in 8th grade and my sister took me for my birthday. I went mainly for the Gin Blossoms, but the Spin Doctors were so much better. It was also my first experience with moshing and the smell of marijauna.

keirondunn
02-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Genesis 1977 Earls Court London England. This was part of the Second's Out Tour. Steve Hackett was just about to depart and they still played Supper's Ready. My Genesis period was soon to be over with their decline into more commercial stuff and increasing sales of what I considered substandard material. A bit like the Trevor Rabin Yes period.

Dances w/PURPLE
02-11-2003, 06:42 PM
These are some great posts everyone. Wow. Taking me back.

PO
02-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Bluetailfly
... My first Yes show was April 1979 in Minneapolis MN in the round. Don't remember a whole lot but being so impressed by Steve's way out there space pedal steel playing...

So cool, Bluetailfly. I was at that show, too! That was the Tormato tour. I absolutely loved that show. I was in the 7th row. I have some pics, too. I think I'll get those scanned and post them on forgottenyesterdays.com
The venue is gone now due to the Mall of America.

What a run of shows I saw:
TFTO
Relayer
Solo tour
GFTO
Tormato

It just got better and better. I missed CTTE since I didn't know who Yes was. But we did get to see Yessongs in the theaters (4 times!). How can we expect ANY band to achieve this, much less repeat it? I have my hopes up.

-Paul

Mutant Enemy
02-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Dire Straits at Flinders Park (now Rod Laver Arena) in Melbourne, in 1991 - the On Every Street tour.

Was dragged along by my father, fairly reluctantly, but in the end I was glad he did drag me along. It was a pretty good show (what I remember of it, I was only ten at the time).

Thoughtbecontact
02-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Mtutant Enemy, Love your screen name!
We shall certify!
Dire Straits were gret in the 1980s.You were lucky

Bla-blat
02-18-2003, 09:24 AM
first big concert - King Crimson in Warsaw, 1996.

Tanbar
02-18-2003, 03:25 PM
i was 12. we got backstage and jon hugged me a whole bunch of times cause he was drunk and thought i looked like hi daughter! lol

Little T

tardistraveler
02-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Wow - cool first concert! No wonder you're a fan - getting to meet Jon - fantastic!

yessongs72
02-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Ok, here's a good laugh for everyone. I was probally 14. It was here in my home town of Wilmington,N.C., also the first city that I saw Yes in 4 years later. Ok, suspense is over.......Gary Puckett and The Union Gap. I was sooooo cool, 14 and me and my best friend there. No parents!!! lol Actually it was a good show,for a 14 year old in 1968, and what we did the whole time was look around for girls,lol!

Thoughtbecontact
02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Bla-blat,
Where are you at in Poland, near Warsaw? I'm not familiar with your city.

custom55
06-26-2004, 04:08 PM
First concert was at the FELT FORM ( a smaller venue at MSG ) in NYC. It was a few months after Woodstock and I saw Santana. I remember that my friend's brother took us ( I was in 9th grade at the time ) and he was getting high. I was so nervous and afraid of getting busted. Silly me...

My 70's were FILLED with concerts.

Jim

umgekehrt
06-26-2004, 04:23 PM
When I was in high school, I was into death metal stuff (those were the days) and not very many bands came to Indonesia to perform live. One day I heard from the radio that Sepultura was coming. Without asking for my parents' permission (because I knew they'd say no LOL) I went and buy a ticket for myself.

After that, I told my parents and they were surprised, but not angry. I had to tell them because I needed a ride to the other city where the concert will be LOL (I was under age and couldn't drive a car). Anyway, they finally agreed to drive me there with one condition: my dad came with me into the concert arena LOL that was embarassing. He was the only middle-aged guy among those headbanging crowd. I pretended I didn't know him.

JimBob
06-26-2004, 05:13 PM
The first concert that I ever went to was in New Haven, Connecticut at the Yale Bowl in 1971. I was really into Grand Funk Railroad as were many others at that time. I went with a bunch of friends of mine, all ready for a good night of loud rock and roll. The opening band was one that most everyone was unfamiliar with. They were fron England, and called themselves "YES." I remember the crowd liking what they heard and really responding with approval even though they were anxious to hear GFR. Later on that year I bought the Yes Album, and loved it. It was so cool to recently get a copy of that 7/24/71 show from The Klev, and finally get the chance to listen to that show again.

Max Webster
06-26-2004, 05:32 PM
My first concert was Max Webster - one of the best bands to come out of Canada IMO. I saw them perform in Toronto in 1979.
Sadly, I don't think many people outside of Canada know of them.

My second concert was the following year when I saw Genesis on their Duke tour.

cinderella
06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I saw the Beatles at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh in 1964. I was really young, but I can remember they were unbelievable. Paul McCartney gave me some candy and told me I was cute. :valintine

umgekehrt
06-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I saw the Beatles at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh in 1964.

I was starting to think your first concert was Cinderella (the hair metal band)

WOLFman
06-26-2004, 05:54 PM
The first concert I attended was Mike Oldfield, performing on Edinburgh Castle's esplanade on New Year's Eve, 1992. It was the premiere of Tubular Bells 2 (produced by Trevor Horn, you may be interested to know) and this little ten-year old was absolutely spelbound.

My aunt/godmother used to play TB to me when I was in her car (as well as Pink Floyd and various other bands of her youth, sadly no Yes) and she was so excited that I liked it (or at least, didn't seem to hate it!) that she took me to see Mike, even though the rest of my family thought she was mad. I will never forget the show, and never cease being thankful to her for it. In many ways, a life-changing experience.

As an aside, the loudest would be G3 (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and, bizarrely, Robert Fripp) just this past Wednesday in Glasgow. Accompanying a friend whose birthday it was - the tickets were my present to him, a massive Satriani fan - I actually enjoyed it more than I'd expected. Not the same emotional experience as Yes on Sunday, but certainly a spectacular assault on the senses, and the encore cover of 'Rockin In The Free World' was stunning.

cinderella
06-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by umgekehrt

I was starting to think your first concert was Cinderella (the hair metal band)

Yikes!! Heaven forbid!! :lmao:

Silent_wings
06-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok go ahead and laugh
My first Concert was the Osmonds at the Indiana State Fair. I was about 13 so around ’74. My mom took me. I had a big crush on Donny.

Braniff92
06-26-2004, 06:38 PM
My first was in 1973 at Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum for Jethro Tull (A Passion Play tour). I think Livingston Taylor was the opening act. Great show, 1st night of Gov Rockerfellor's no tolerance law for MJ - alot police and alot of Marijuana.

brotherofmine
06-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Wishbone Ash - Leeds City Hall - 1971.

cinderella
06-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Silent_wings

Ok go ahead and laugh My first Concert was the Osmonds at the Indiana State Fair.

I'm not going to laugh. I saw them too. I also saw the Bay City Rollers with my little sister. I'd have liked them more if I'd have known that Duncan Faure had been in the band Rabbitt with Trevor Rabin.

the'YES'kid
06-28-2004, 03:36 AM
Iron Maiden - Puerto Rico, Fear of the Dark tour, 1992.

I felt more nervus than the night I lost my virginity.

Timmo
06-28-2004, 04:18 AM
Earth, Wind and Fire, at the old Armory building (since burned down) in Trenton, NJ. I went with my friend Mike and his mom, who was a "cool mom." We were the only white people in attendence. I loved it.

That was my first "concert." My first live band experience was whem my brother and his friends, confronted with having to take care of the "baby brother" while "down the shore" in Jersey, decided to smuggle me into a bar, sitting me on beer crates while they watched some local play.

His name was Bruce Springsteen.

After Earth Wind and Fire, my first concert was Yes, the Tales tour, at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA.

It was also the first time I ever smoked pot, so the details are a little hazy, but I still remember the white spotlight on Jon and the red on Steve during "The Ancient."

TIM
Venice, CA

Timmo
06-28-2004, 04:20 AM
The first concert that I ever went to was in New Haven, Connecticut at the Yale Bowl in 1971. I was really into Grand Funk Railroad as were many others at that time. I went with a bunch of friends of mine, all ready for a good night of loud rock and roll. The opening band was one that most everyone was unfamiliar with. They were fron England, and called themselves "YES." I remember the crowd liking what they heard and really responding with approval even though they were anxious to hear GFR. Later on that year I bought the Yes Album, and loved it. It was so cool to recently get a copy of that 7/24/71 show from The Klev, and finally get the chance to listen to that show again.LOL! I just got that weed in the mail!

TIM
Venice, CA

umgekehrt
06-28-2004, 04:23 AM
My second concert was YesSymphonic in 2001, I got lost and came a bit late to see CTTE already playing.
Third concert Dream Theater (6 Degrees Tour)
Fourth concert Red Hot Chili Peppers (By The Way Tour)

bbb
06-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Queen - Bristol Hippodrome 1977.

It was a life changing experience. They were stunning.

paulovajao
06-28-2004, 02:17 PM
My Parents Took Me To See That Great Dude Called Rory Gallagher!!!in 1978!!!

RJE
06-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Rod Stewart and the Faces - Maggie May Tour - Keil Auditorium, St Louis, MO 1971

Q
06-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Roland, you didn't happen to grow up in Illinois or an adjoining state in the late '60s-early '70s, did you? If so, do you remember WLS/Chicago in the days of John Landecker, etc?

RJE
06-28-2004, 02:54 PM
I did grow up in Illinois...but...downstate near St Louis.......KSHE was my station!

Didn't land in Chicago until about six years ago.

mood for today
06-28-2004, 02:57 PM
elton john 1976. chicago stadium. he had kiki dee with him singing "don't go breakin' my heart." my best friend loved him so i had to go. my next three were genesis, yes and pink floyd. a little different, eh?

however, we went back and saw elton in '80 or '81 after he sobered up and he was smokin' his band was really good then.

mood for today
06-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Roland, you didn't happen to grow up in Illinois or an adjoining state in the late '60s-early '70s, did you? If so, do you remember WLS/Chicago in the days of John Landecker, etc?

q i grew up listening to john "records" landecker, larry lujack and the likes. john landecker is actually working back in chicago doing oldies radio.

Dances w/PURPLE
06-28-2004, 03:37 PM
CKLW.....the motor city. I remember that jingle in my head from years ago!

Tedster the Yesma
06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
First Rock was Yes, 1978 Oakland California
The last show I saw was Yes April 2004

I see a patern here.

Next show I'll probably see - Marillion September 2004 San Francisco

Sticks
06-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd seen many bands at the local dance in the late 60s but the first concert was Pink Floyd at Melbourne's Festival Hall (Australia) on August 13th 1971 during the Atom Heart Mother Tour. This was a mind blowing experience for a guy 2 weeks short of his 17th birthday. I'd not even toked on a reefer by that age and there I was front row centre watching Roger Waters screaming during Careful With That Axe Eugene and Dave Gilmour soloing on a early version of Echoes.

Oh! what a lucky man I was. (apologies to Greg Lake)

JaneEyre
06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Don't make fun of me.

My (now ex-) sister-in-law took me to see Duran Duran when I was 14. She gave some security guys drugs and got us back stage, where the guys in the band had no interest in a naive 14 year old. But my hot pink blouse and pink eyeshadow looked hot!

R'tanys
06-29-2004, 02:29 AM
August of 1982
The Field House in Iowa City (the last concert ever to be produced at the former home of Hawkeye basketball)
The Grateful Dead; Go To Heaven tour

mood for today
06-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't make fun of me.

like that's ever gonna happen!?!?!?!?

i think trevor was in duran duran

Phat Khatru
06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Are you ready for this....The 1st concert I ever went to was when I was 13. It was at Atlantic City's Steel Pier. My Mom took me to see. Freda Payne ( Band of Gold ), Gary Lewis and the Playboys. ( This Diamond Ring ) and the headliner. The Classics 4. They kicked ass, I still remember the rendition of Spooky they did it was fantastic.

Oh, by the way, I think it was in 1967 or 1968.

cinderella
06-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JaneEyre

But my hot pink blouse and pink eyeshadow looked hot!

Wow! I'll bet you looked cute glowing in the dark! :lmao:

Originally posted by mood for today

Ack!!!! Bite your tongue!! :slap:

:lmao:

Suzy
06-29-2004, 04:59 PM
My first Yes concert was when I was 10 years old in 1991 Union Tour! I was a fan as I had been listening to their music from the day I was born - they are my Dad's favourite band!!! I remember fancying Jon Anderson!!! I suppose I still do - he is so talented. It has always been a competition between Jon and Robert Plant really!!!

CybrKhatru
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
First concert: my parents took me along to see America in 1978-79, at the Universal Amphitheatre, when it was still an outdoor venue. I was 7 or 8 years old. "Mom...Dad...what's that smell?" LOL..... I knew some of their songs, of course, but I can't remember much else!

First proper "rock show" (and the first show I asked my folks to take me to): a big AOR-fest called "The Summer Strut" in July 82--Foreigner, Loverboy, Scorpions, and Iron Maiden at Anaheim Stadium. We were waaaaay up in the top of the place...were it not for the big screens we wouldn't have been able to see anything! Of course, I was in hog heaven anyway.

Second show I went to was Styx at the Forum, 1983, "Kilroy" tour. In a strange, watered-down way, I think it planted a seed that led to Genesis and Yes.

---Matt

JaneEyre
06-29-2004, 06:15 PM
like that's ever gonna happen!?!?!?!?

NOW I understand your PM.......I think.

I am soooo gonna kick your butt! Move closer while I stick my foot out.

Trevor in Duran Duran? Certainly would have made my life easier... But, see, my Duran crush was, uh, crushed by '87. Trev's been hangin' in since '83.

Don't worry, though, mood, my crush on you is the biggest ever. :valintine

Or is it.....?!?.....

(woooo, looka me, I'm being coy!)

Or am I.....?!?......

PrairieMan
06-29-2004, 06:18 PM
My first was Looking Glass (remember "Brandy"?) at a super small ballroom (Sioux Historic Pavillion in Ortonville, MN) in 1974. The fame that "Brandy" had accorded them was long since gone, hence their visit to the prairies of MN. It was good though.

My first "real concert" was The Doobie Brothers (with the Outlaws) at the old St. Paul Civic Center back around 1975. Foolish kid I was, I got in line (general seating) 3 hours before the show. Didn't take time to get something to eat, so all I had was a roll of Starburst to tide me over. The Outlaws had just come out with "Green Grass and High Tides" and it was awesome to hear live. The Doobies, of course, were unbelievable.

Aside from the YES concerts, great concerts for me over the years have been: The Who Farewell tour in 1982, Pink Floyd at Browns Stadium in Cleveland, Crosby, Stills, and Nash at the old Met Center in Bloomington (now extinct...swallowed up by the Mall of America and an IKEA store), Mark Knopfler at the Orpheum in MPLS, Pat Metheney (the Still Life Talking tour in 1987 at Orchestra Hall in MPLS), and Steely Dan last year in St. Paul.

Gabriel
07-01-2004, 05:55 AM
My first concert was the Genesis tribute band called 'The Musical Box' and it was at the Royal Albert Hall on October 31st 2003, so as you can see, i'm a newbie when it comes to concerts! Great show though.

bbb
07-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Gabriel,

You really should go see IQ. I think you'd love 'em. They're playing the Mean Fiddler in London on December 11th. Or they're in Chippenham at the End of October.

See you at Oxford?

Gill Comer

Jonah
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
First concert was Genesis on the Wind And Wuthering Tour, at Bingley Hall, Stafford.
I can't remember any of it thought for some, not drug related, reason.
First show I can remember was the second one I went to: Thin Lizzy at Wolverhampton Civic Hall. Hands on stage, headbanging. Wonderful

slazman
07-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Hawkwind, Derby Kings hall Baths (now Queens Leisure Centre) Derby. Space Ritual live (1971) ... great disappointment that Stacia kept her clothes on. First experience of Joss Sticks. Never looked back.

heartofthesunrise
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Supertramp, Madison Square Garden, around 78-79, whenever Breakfast in America came out. My aunt took me, and that was the beginning of my corruption. It was all her fault.

Chefstarship
08-01-2004, 01:16 AM
The first concert I ever attended(without my parents) was Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth,in Cincinnati,back in about 1976.The opening act was 50 Foot Hose,if my memory serves me.I was just becomming a Yes fan,and this was my place to start.I was playing the grooves out of JTTCOTE,so I was really familiar with the material.Going to a live rock concert for the first time was just too unbelievable.I snuck some joints inside a Vandoren clarinet reed case(I must of been a band nerd at the time).I still remember the first time the lights went out,joints burning everywhere(to all of you young folks)I mean EVERYWHERE.It`s so different now.I feel so lucky to have gone to this concertI was a total Rick worshiper,with his glowing white cape and massive keyboard setup.I still can feel my seat vibrating with all of that volume,he was blowing the roof off that place.It was one heck of a concert to be my first.

Timmo
08-01-2004, 04:33 AM
"Earth, Wind and Fire" at the Trenton (NJ) Armory in about 1971-'72. The Armory has since burned down. My friend Michael was WAY into early 70s soul, having been turned on by an older cousin to "Soul Train." It was the "That's The Way of the World" tour. Michael's mom was younger than most of the rest of the parents, and cooler. She liked Chicago and whatever was playing on the radio, unlike my parents, who were OLDER than most other kids parents and thought Mick Jagger was the Antichrist.

We were basically the only white people in the entire place, but, oddly for that time, it really didn't make an impression on any of us until we discussed it afterwards. The crowd was mellow and welcoming. I danced with two fine sistas during the "That's the Way of the World" finale, and my friends were so appalled with my loose attitude (it had nothing to do with the fact that they were black, but that I had DANCED! we were already "too cool for school" at 12) that they wouldn't talk to me for a week.

The next concert was the "Tales" show at the Spectrum in Philly (the evening show). It was also the first time I ever smoked pot. It was a bit too much for my synapses, but I have fragments of very clear memories from that night. I posted a review on www.forgottenyesterdays.com if anyone's interested, I think it's the second one (Tales tour, Philadelphia, evening show), and it's an amusing story I've told too many times on these boards to repeat.

TIM
Venice, CA

Doktor Rokster
08-01-2004, 05:58 AM
My first concert was Pink Floyd, in 1972...they were running in Dark Side Of The Moon prior to recording it. I've got a bootleg of that tour now, and it's amazing how the album developed from what I first heard to the finished article.

Stever
08-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Chicago Transist Authority Sometime in 1970 Reno Collesium, Reno, NV.

YESYOUANDI
08-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Birmingham Town Hall,

1972/3,

Deep Purple,

We just freaked out from the first cord--a real speed king of a night. I can remember bugger all--but I just know it was great.

Oh happy days.

Cheers fans.

Ryan
08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
the first realy concert i've went to was actually 2 days ago. it was the Beach boys. And they were in my home town Wausau. I was quite suprised that they came here because i don't think anyone on this site except for maybe Ootsider knows of my very small town. It was pretty awsome though. I cant wait to se YES on the 7th!

Bodast
08-09-2004, 06:37 PM
My first gig ever...

Travis at Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre, March 7th, 2002. £21.50 plus £4 booking fee.

Serafin was the supporting act... I absolutely loved Travis at the time and was also really nervous because it was my frist gig. My friend and I decided on sleeveless tops and denim jackets (to be cool, but but also "because it gets hot in there. Doesn't it?" "Umm.. I think so." "Well yeah... there are a lot of people.."). We were in the seated section way up at the back but I didn't care because it was Fran Healy. The Real Fran Healy!!! And Andy and Neil and Dougie of course. It was just a fantastic feeling knowing all the words, especially when they started playing Turn, because it was the one song that the entire crowd seemed to know. I remember at one point Fran said, "Hang on, I have to do something" and then he hitched up his trousers and pretended to play a note on his guitar like it was a double bass/cello, to mark the start of Why Does It Always Rain On Me? .. and during Coming Around, he picked a randomer out of the audience to play a racing game on the Playstation to be the background picture...

It was getting towards the end of the gig and I was wondering if they were ever going to play my favourite song, Happy. The opening chords of that song were some of the best things I'd ever heard :thumbup:

Ahhh...

sergici
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
13 July 1991
Istanbul/Turkey

JETHRO TULL

What a night...

Timmo
08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Chicago Transist Authority Sometime in 1970 Reno Collesium, Reno, NV.OOOOH, that would have been a good one to lose your music/concert virginity to.

TIM
Venice, CA

pianozach
08-09-2004, 08:05 PM
The Hollywood Palladium.

Opening acts:
Mannfred Mann's Earth Band
Paul Butterfield's Blues Band

Headliner:
Uriah Heep

Timmo
08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
The Hollywood Palladium.

Opening acts:
Mannfred Mann's Earth Band
Paul Butterfield's Blues Band

Headliner:
Uriah HeepI saw Uriah Heap open for someone, it was either Yes or Jethro Tull. I think it was Tull at MSG.

TIM
Venice, CA

True Believer
08-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Alice Cooper at Greens Playhouse, Glasgow in November 1972. Saw ELP the next week there too.

Unregistered
08-20-2004, 12:14 AM
the venue was the Palladium in NYC. seated about 2,500 people. spring of 1977. i had 18th row for:

1st act cheap trick (their first u.s. tour)
2nd act UFO (with micheal schenkner, touring for the "lights out" lp)
3rd act Rush (touring for the "farewell to kings" lp)

shook hands with geddy lee outside the palladium after the show. still one of my favorite shows.
all this for only $14.00

soul warrior
08-20-2004, 12:22 AM
the venue was the Palladium in NYC. seated about 2,500 people. spring of 1977. i had 18th row for:

shook hands with geddy lee outside the palladium after the show. still one of my favorite shows.
all this for only $14.00

OOPS! dont know how i got unregistered?

klingklang
08-20-2004, 06:13 PM
The first show I ever saw was by Red Rider (the Canadian band mostly known for "Lunatic Fringe"). It was 1983 and at Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA. This was back when Magic Mountain used to have free shows on the weekend. And so one weekend, my mom and I were at the park and we just sort of wandered into the shed area where the concerts were at. We had no idea who they were or anything but we had fun.

Symbol
08-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Peter, Paul, and Mary with Lovin' Spoonful headlining. (1967? -- don't remember... I was the 10 year old little brother tag along)

ELLE
08-26-2004, 02:20 PM
cheap trick 1979 or was it 1980? at the spectrum in philly... those were the good ol days taking the train in.. what memories! ha ha

Stever
08-26-2004, 03:18 PM

all this for only $14.00

OOPS! dont know how i got unregistered?

Wow! What a great first show.

soulsearcher
08-26-2004, 03:21 PM
i went to go see the charlie daniels band at pnc arts center.
i was 16.
i got so drunk that i went for a hot dod and passed out on the lawn and when i woke up, almost everyone was gone.
i hitched a ride with these guys and drove around until i found my friends driving around looking for me.

that was awesome.LOL! jk

Vic W.
08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
By the time I was old enough to go to a concert it was Yes, Yes, and only Yes for me - a state of mind that lasted a couple of years until I "branched out" a little and added Genesis and ELP to my record - I mean cassette tape - collection...

So my first concert was Yes in Philadelphia at the Spectrum during the Close to the Edge tour. For some reason that concert is not listed on the sites that list Yes concerts - too bad I didn't save my ticket stub...

It was late in the tour, after Yessongs had been released, and it was an add-on - not originally scheduled as part of the tour - because the response was so good in Philly those days.

tardistraveler
08-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Forgotten Yesterdays lists a Philly show at the Spectrum 8/15/72 - was that it?

Timmo
08-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Forgotten Yesterdays lists a Philly show at the Spectrum 8/15/72 - was that it?I seem to remember that they added a show towards the end of this tour, aside from the August date listed on Forgotten Yesterdays (with no setlist).

My parents wouldn't let me go because I was only 11, and I went on a hunger strike and didn't eat for two days. Yelling and screaming didn't work for the Fragile tour a year earlier, threatening to run away to New York didn't work for the 8/15 CTTE date...and I distinctly recall the hunger strike was for a "last minute" date.

Scheming while my parents were on vacation got me to see the TFTO tour a year later.

But I think the above poster is right, there was a last-minute date added to Philly late on the CTTE tour.

TIM
Venice, CA

yesmandroc
08-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, and Cracker at Riverside in Mass.( now a Six Flags). I was in 8th grade, so must have been 1993.

Timmo
08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, and Cracker at Riverside in Mass.( now a Six Flags). I was in 8th grade, so must have been 1993.Cracker was so cool.

Nice post, young Padawan.

TIM
Venice, CA

Vic W.
08-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Forgotten Yesterdays lists a Philly show at the Spectrum 8/15/72 - was that it?

Yessongs was released in '73. I know my first concert was after that, because I learned about Firebird Suite from that album and I knew it was coming. The next concert in Philly listed anywhere nowadays is from the Tales tour, which came later...

Vic W.
08-27-2004, 04:25 AM
I seem to remember that they added a show towards the end of this tour, aside from the August date listed on Forgotten Yesterdays (with no setlist).

My parents wouldn't let me go because I was only 11, and I went on a hunger strike and didn't eat for two days. Yelling and screaming didn't work for the Fragile tour a year earlier, threatening to run away to New York didn't work for the 8/15 CTTE date...and I distinctly recall the hunger strike was for a "last minute" date.

Scheming while my parents were on vacation got me to see the TFTO tour a year later.

But I think the above poster is right, there was a last-minute date added to Philly late on the CTTE tour.

TIM
Venice, CA

Wow, somebody else actually remembers this!

I emailed the guy who does Forgotten Yesterdays some months back, and he just said if I find out anything else let him know.

Like I said, sure wish I saved my ticket stub...

Btw, pretty cool that you were only 10 and wanted to seem them that badly...

ndselwood
08-27-2004, 05:24 AM
First one was Budgie, the great and copiously copied/covered Welsh trio of druid rockers at the Liverpool Stadium in 1973. What a concert and I still remember it vividly to this day...a wonderful experience for a young buck of only 13 years !

The Liverpool Stadium was knocked down to make a car park in the 80's but was a great concert venue Anyone else go there ?

Dantalion Rides Again
08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
In the early eighties, my family went to see John Denver. I think it was a the State House in Providence. Awesome show! I mean, I was probably 9, but I remember it being good.

First time I got tickets on my own initiative for a show was The Monkees in Warwick, RI 1987. They were in the round, and without Mike Nesmith. Great concert. As a Monkee fan, I have to say I don't think I could have really asked for a better show. Unless Nes had been there, that is. Then it woulda been awesomer.

My buddy Matt got to take home a broken guitar string from Peter Tork's guitar.

yesterdayjohn
08-27-2004, 09:24 AM
1976 JFK
YES, Gary Wight, Peter Frampton and some others. My older brother (Paul) took me as a early birthday present I would turn 13 in August. It was my teenage baptism. We told my dad that we were going to a baseball game in Phila. When we got home my dad knew there was no game in Phila that night so we were busted! The word on the street was that we were grounded until I was 21 and my ears were cut off :eeek: It was the buzz in my circle of friends and boosted my reputation as a "cool dude". lol. I think I got out for the July 4th weekend and glad to say I still have both ears! It was all worth it in the end and we still laugh about it today when the family gets together. After that show I was hooked on YES.

yesgeo
08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
1969 4th of July weekend
2nd Atlanta Rock Festival in Macon Georgia
w/Jimi Hendrix-yes, the Star Spangled Banner was awesome
w/Its a Beautiful Day-very etherial
w/Chambers Brothers, Allman Brothers (w/Duane and all...)
and a host of others.

Lasting memories of Jets fly by, turning the family Ford Station wagon into a first aid ambulance for those who indulged a bit too much.

Favorite Moment. Rednecks gawking at the Skinny dippers jumping off the bridge into the local river, police showing up, they scattered the gawkers and set up a spotlight so we could jump safely into the river all night long....

Hells Angels as the security all bunched up in a carnival tent in a rain storm, someone through in a smoke cannister, the tent exploded, and 10,000 hippies pushed the fence surrounding the site down...and they announced,..."well, We guess its a free festival"....

Thanks for the thread....see you at Concord

G yesgeo

yesgeo
08-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh Yes,

First Yes concert October 1, 1972, in southern Alabama (Awesome, and thanks to Yesterdays for the exact date); seeing the Who, Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull that year also. (A very progressive Student Entertainment Committee at the Univ. of Alabama, yes indeed.) then hitching to Nashville for an outdoor free concert by the Grateful Dead.

Changed my life forever, as I then hitchhiked to California...the rest, they say, is history...

g yesgeo

upbgirl
08-27-2004, 12:12 PM
1976 JFK
YES, Gary Wight, Peter Frampton and some others.

hey john!!
kid off to school ok?? i bet he Loves it!!

i saw that tour, too-i remember frampton getting 'over the shoulder boulder holders' thrown onstage while HE was on!!

i saw that at Rynearson Stadium-76-eastern michigan university..
not my first show-but one of the better remembered ones. i seem to remember another band-Ace-was there too-they had one hit-'how long has this been goin on' if i am correct.
"well, my friends in thier fancy persuasions-cant admit that it's part of the scheme-but i cant help but have my suspicions-cause i aint quite as dumb as i seem''.. yep-that's it!

[it WAS the 70's and i was 17, ya know? hehe]

i think i posted here before-but will tell again anyway.

bachman turner overdrive at Cobo arena in motown-Detroit-Rock city..
[before they shortened it to BTO]
and dig This!
bob seger was the WARM UP BAND!
[we called em 'warm up'- not 'opening act' or 'support'-lol!]
went with the concert master of our high school band-first chair clarinet-she was Livid at the smell of pot..
i wasnt..:D
wont forget that night-i wanted to dump her wet-blanket booty and Party!!
i didnt-but it WAS a valuable lesson for me to pick my concerrt going buddies much more carefully in the future!;)

hey yesgeo!! welcome to yesfans!! that must've been some show-tull? stones?/ wow!
nice to 'meet' you!

tecladista
08-27-2004, 12:35 PM
It was the summer of 1970, I had a broken leg [from swinging on a Tarzan swing - virtually (financially speaking) broke as I couldn't earn money with a full length cast)-: ] 200 yards from my house was an outdoor concert at the local stadium with Bob Seeger as the main act. I struggled to walk there, taking 30 minutes to do so (just getting used to crutches) I stood outside the fence sneaking peeks through the trees, watching with envy as other kids my age (14) were hopping the fence to get a closer look at this marvelous thing known as a rock concert! Well, a very kind person taking the tickets saw the disappointment on my face at not being able to sneak in, he called me over and said, "come on in, it's OK, have a good time!" I had a great time, and I'll always remember how "cool" the ticket taker was...

jimmygtr
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
1981 - Rainbow/Pat Travers Band, LA Forum....very....loud.

yesterdayjohn
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=upbgirl]hey john!!
kid off to school ok?? i bet he Loves it!!

i saw that tour, too-i remember frampton getting 'over the shoulder boulder holders' thrown onstage while HE was on!!

hey upbgirl - yes he is doing well in school although when we ask him about his day we get little if any information. I think he is in CIA or Mafia training. lol.

Peter was quite the ladies man back then with his voice box asking risque' questions. Do you feel like we do? I want to #%$^ you. I never understood the guys cheering for that part. :shrug:

playeriivis
08-27-2004, 01:30 PM
My first big rock concert was Alice Cooper in 1978 at the LA Sports Arena. My friend's dad had two free tickets and dropped us both off and picked us up. We were two 13 year olds at our first big rock concert.

Troy68
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Nov.1964.....Dayton Oh. "The Rolling Stones".......They were on their first US tour. About 400 people showed up......I was a wild-eyed teenager......What a gas!

Timmo
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
1976 JFK
YES, Gary Wight, Peter Frampton and some others. My older brother (Paul) took me as a early birthday present I would turn 13 in August. It was my teenage baptism. We told my dad that we were going to a baseball game in Phila. When we got home my dad knew there was no game in Phila that night so we were busted! The word on the street was that we were grounded until I was 21 and my ears were cut off :eeek: It was the buzz in my circle of friends and boosted my reputation as a "cool dude". lol. I think I got out for the July 4th weekend and glad to say I still have both ears! It was all worth it in the end and we still laugh about it today when the family gets together. After that show I was hooked on YES.I was also at that show, but I was almost 16.

Still, majorly blown synapses.

TIM
Venice, CA

mood for today
08-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh Yes,

First Yes concert October 1, 1972, in southern Alabama (Awesome, and thanks to Yesterdays for the exact date); seeing the Who, Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull that year also. (A very progressive Student Entertainment Committee at the Univ. of Alabama, yes indeed.) then hitching to Nashville for an outdoor free concert by the Grateful Dead.

Changed my life forever, as I then hitchhiked to California...the rest, they say, is history...

g yesgeo

wow. welcome to the site yesgeo.......how 'bout sharing some of that history.....sounds like a story for the ages.

glebarr
08-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I think it was April Wine http://www.aprilwine.ca ...though could have been Styx during the "Grand Illusion" tour.
...a long time ago anyway

ELLE
08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
what was your worst concert experience?? mine was 1985(?) the who's final farewell tour ..(yeah sure!!) at jfk in philly.i saw some drunk guy tackle a pregnant woman down the rows of bleachers..it was a horrible scene..i will never forget !

weebl
09-03-2004, 05:28 AM
I really can't remember my first proper concert. I mean, there's the festivals (Reading) etc, but I can't remember the first concert. Aussie Pink Floyd at The Hexagon in 2000? I must have been to one before then...

yessongs72
09-03-2004, 06:20 AM
lol, i remember it well. i was 13,maybe 14 in 67 0r 68. it was,ok start laughing. gary pucket and the union gap. i still enjoy hearing those old songs.

Earl Grey
09-03-2004, 06:29 AM
lol, i remember it well. i was 13,maybe 14 in 67 0r 68. it was,ok start laughing. gary pucket and the union gap. i still enjoy hearing those old songs.

What was that song?

'Young Girl' That was the one... Garry Phuckett and The Union Gap (What does that exactly mean, ...naw. Fageddaboudit!).

I saw 'Chicago Transit Authority' at The Hollywood Bowl, Terry Kath on guitar.

It was a defining moment.

I was hooked at that point, I never look back...

Oh, alright! I DO look back on occassion, but I look forward as well. 'Intro' and 'outro-spection' that's the right stuff!

If you grow some eyes on the back of your head, I'll call it evolution!

Others might call it 'mutation', but what do THEY know?

Opposable thumbs are a good thing... And so what if you can touch your tongue to your nose?

Did that goldfish REALLY have legs? Huh. Waddayknow. Darwin, what a guy.

:ele: Not a 'republican' elephant. He's pink, you see. That means he's non-partisan and drunk. And that is all.

:D

paulovajao
09-03-2004, 06:29 AM
1979 My Dad Took Me To See That Great Guitar Legend Rory Gallagher!!!it Stills Hear Those Riffs In My Brain!but My 1st Was Pete Seger 1974!it Marked For All My Life!

Earl Grey
09-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Rory was the bollocks man!

I met him you know?!?!

Be impressed. Hell, I certainly am!

I'm presently attempting to kiss my own ring, no wonder my back went out again.

Always convolutions...

:ele: Drunk, NOT republican!

Valetudo
09-03-2004, 06:42 AM
This is a weird one. I saw David Bowie at the Hollywood Palladium. He was touring with THe Spiders from Mars (the Aladinsane tour). I was pressed aginst the stage-front and center.

Earl Grey
09-03-2004, 06:45 AM
This is a weird one. I saw David Bowie at the Hollywood Palladium. He was touring with THe Spiders from Mars (the Aladinsane tour). I was pressed aginst the stage-front and center.

What year was that?

Mick Ronson was amazing. Those guitar-sweeps, attitude beyond the stratos.

I'm guessing 1972?

Mike Watkins
09-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Wishbone Ash
December '74
Memphis, TN
"Live Dates" tour

Unbelievable. Double-date thing, and I went just because a hot girl asked me.
SOO glad I did.
For many reasons.

closetotheedge
09-08-2004, 10:39 AM
ELP - 1971 Chicago Auditorium undoubfully the best place in Chicago for sound.

Merewyn
09-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf ~ Cedar Rapids Symphony Orchestra, Cedar Rapids, IA
(Kukla, Fran & Olie narrated)
I was the lucky (only) one chosen from my elementary school music class to attend with Mrs. Doolittle the music teacher and her two children.

Yes Lover
10-22-2004, 06:11 PM
My first concert was Canned Heat, I think in 1986, here in New Mexico. My parents, sister, and I went. It was some sort of free-concert-at-a-festival thing. I was 11 and my sister was 6. The concert was pretty cool (as I remember). We were right against the stage and my dad had to keep lifting my sister up so she could see!

John Khatru
10-23-2004, 06:23 PM
First concert : Genesis - Invisible Touch Tour - Madison Square Garden Oct 1986

Loudest Concert: Rush - Roll The Bones Tour - MSG Dec 1991

First Yes Concert - ABWH - Nassau Coliseum Aug 1989 (My profile has a recent pic of me holding the shirt I got at that concert :D )

rickweber
10-23-2004, 06:35 PM
My first show was Yes at Merriweather in Columbia, Md. 1972. There's a tape of it here somewhere. The Eagles opened for them. It was a great time. CTTE had not been released yet. The thunder storm during the quiet bit in CTTE can be heard on the tape. Kinda neat!!

rickweber
10-23-2004, 06:40 PM
My worse concert experience was The Cars @ Washington, D. C. The idiot behind me blew lunch, and well, that's really all you need to ruin an otherwise good show. The whole time this guy was screaming RALPH!!!! (Most unsavory)

YesScots
10-24-2004, 05:47 AM
Mine was Ted Nugent at the Apollo, Glasgow Feb '77 - and it was loud!

Brian's - Queen at Stirling University '72

Ali.

justyes
10-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Yes, it was YES in Warsaw, Poland. 15.06.2004. It was just wonderfull. I couldn't speak for several hours, I couldn't hear too good either. I can't tell you more except that I know that somebody has that concert recorded and I'll do everything to find out who it is!!!!!

squiredevotee
10-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Meatloaf, I was 15, (1978) at Rockland Community College in NJ. Awesome!

JL
10-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Heart, with Ian Hunter opening, Philadelphia Spectrum, June 1980. I was 12.

RSOG
10-26-2004, 04:31 AM
it was 1971, Badfinger and the Grass Roots. Badfinger was good,Grass Roots we drunk on their butts. So drunk they were falling all over themselves. Alteast they were the last act,I and many left.

Scooty
10-26-2004, 04:52 AM
Cheap Trick

One On One Tour...

Fantastic show...and I still LOVE this band..
I was all of 11 years old..

Scoot

yesgeo
10-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Ah Yes, it bears repeating:

Second Atlanta Pop Festival, July 4th, 1970, and yes, Jimi Hendrix played the Star Spangled Banner....

"There were so darn many of 'em, they ran the alligators and the water moccasins right out of the Echeconnee Creek,"

Get a kick out of this report, yesfriends:
http://www.me.umn.edu/~kgeisler/700704.html

Man, I gotta jillion stories from that one....
yes~i survived~geo

mwood
10-26-2004, 11:32 AM
The Moody Blues, Boston Common, summer of 1984.
It was the tour for The Present and we were in the last row, literally.
Not particularly memorable, even for this fan of the MBs.

JaneEyre
10-26-2004, 02:48 PM
The Moody Blues, Boston Common, summer of 1984.
It was the tour for The Present and we were in the last row, literally.
Not particularly memorable, even for this fan of the MBs.

Boston Common? Really? I never knew they had concerts there. Could it have been the Esplanade? I've seen a couple of concerts there. If it was the Common, did the swans enjoy the show? ;)

slazman
10-26-2004, 02:50 PM
1971, Derby Kings Hall, Hawkwind - Space Ritual Tour (my first experience of Joss Sticks!)

mwood
10-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Boston Common? Really? I never knew they had concerts there. Could it have been the Esplanade? I've seen a couple of concerts there. If it was the Common, did the swans enjoy the show? ;)
It was part of the short-lived "Concerts on the Common" series. Pretty generic soft-rock artists, Joni Mitchell, Joe Jackson, etc. I think my sister saw Don Henley there around the same time.

The Fish
10-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Black Sabbath in London around 74.

Deano
11-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Queen at Milton Keynes Bowl in '82

bbb
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
I was at that Queen gig...a blazing hot day..and it's just come out on DVD.

relayer_1
11-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Montreal Forum - Oct. '72

I was an exhausted 18 year old who was too anxious to go to my first concert and this one was playing in town. Exhausted since I fell asleep for most of it 'cause I was getting use to getting up a lot earlier to go to a lousy factory job. I'm sure glad I got a degree later in life!

My first YES concert: Tales from Topographic Oceans - Montreal Forum - Feb '74. Need I say more?

relayer

yesyadda
11-02-2004, 12:24 AM
In '71 when I was a sophomore in H.S. a buddy couldn't go to the Moody Blues since he had to attend a sports banquet, so I bought his ticket. I rode 2 hours each way in a car full of babes. I was in hormone heaven. We had limited vision seats. The place was nearly full - at least 10k. I was so taken by the size of the event, all the people, the energy, the fantastic music. I still have that ticket stub. That experience started my journey to hundreds of shows over the next 30 plus years. I still love live events of all kinds.
P.S.- the concert was at the Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL on the U o I campus.

michael
12-17-2004, 11:14 PM
My first concert was more of a sonic lobotomy than anything else. 1977 ('78?), KISS! First time I ever got high, due to all the second hand pot smoke.
Cheap Trick opened for KISS...

"your mommy's alright, your daddy's alright!
they just seem a little weird...."

That's what I thought, mom and dad bought me the KISS ticket!!!!!!

Tex
12-17-2004, 11:15 PM
My first concert was Rush, June of 1990 for the Presto tour. Alpine Valley Music Theater, Wisconsin....
What a show! Hearing the 2112 overture was an experience I'll never forget.

michael
12-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Well then, check this out!!!
Rush - A Farewell To Kings - '78, Hemispheres '79, Moving Pictures '81!!!
They played ALL of 2112 at these gigs.
It was almost obligatory for Canadian kids to be into RUSH.

BILL HERWIG
12-17-2004, 11:54 PM
This Is Gonna Blow Yu Rockers Away!!!!! In The Late 60,s At A Place Called Moutain Park Sumwhere Around Greenfield Ma. The "yardbirds" Saw The 3 Gods---beck, Clapton & Page!!! What A Show, My Ears Hurt For 3 Days!! (my Older Brother Snuck Me In The Back Door, Cause I Was Way 2 Young. Here I Am Goin 2 Bee 55 This Month, An I Still Love Rock&roll. Don,t Know --just Doo. Too All My Yes Brothers & Sisters ( Tim Yr The Man) A Very Happy Holidays. Bikerbill

wefollowthesun
12-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Very first concert :
Black Sabbath 1975 Sabotage tour
July 25th Savanna Georgia Civic Center
Opening acts
Peter Frampton
Ruby Starr & Grey Ghost

The place was wild !
Managed to grab a small handful of Ozzies fringe and got a ride in their limo (without them in it)
what a trip

The_Fish
12-18-2004, 12:14 AM
My first concert was in august, niagara falls, Yes.
It was amazing seeing them.
I loved when they played awaken, and I didn't know it till about 2 months after that i would soon come to love the majority of songs they played

DaveJB
12-18-2004, 12:16 AM
My very first concert was Yes Drama at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. I missed seeing the current line up in Philly back in 77 or 78 because I was in Florida, at college. When I was up for Christmas break, they were down in Florida, I believe in Jacksonville. That was the tour they had after Going for the One.

In retrospect, I really should have planned better !

fovman
01-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Chicago II tour - Omaha 1970

Deliriumyes
01-28-2005, 08:17 PM
1977...Philadelphia Spectrum...the king, Elvis Presley

I still have the stub, and the poster and button that I bought, along with some great memories.

Siberian Bozo
01-28-2005, 08:50 PM
I seem to recall Bubble Puppy - weren't they one-hit wonders? Anyone remember their hit song?.

That would be Hot Smoke And Sassafras. A great tune!

hammer
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
A Detroit band called "the Rockets" at the Yack arena in Wyandotte, MI> 1975. YES" In the round" at Olympia stadium 1977.

Koen Dejonghe
03-15-2005, 04:33 PM
:yesbird: :yesbird:
Although I visited already many classical concerts with great performers and orchestras since I was a child it was exactly in 1976 that I saw in Antwerp (Belgium) my first great rockconcert with one of the best bands ever: YES.

I was a 20 years old piano student in a Conservatory. What an evening for me after studying Chopin and Rachmaninoff. The venue was a velodrome for cyclists. My seat was 6th row about on the Howe’s side. Before the concert started, I had to chase out two women who took the places of my brother and mine. The show began with the brave singer Donovan which I knew from softy songs and his mouth harmonica. What an idea to share Yes and this guy after each other on the same platform? The only thing I can remember is that my ears were full of sssssissssing sounds of the decibels he had produced. And then, after a break, came the magical moment to be confrontated with the 5 musicians of YES. Since I had learned the album “Close to the edge” when I was 15, the love for their music has always growth. The new album “Going for the one” was full of energy and musical ideas that it was a dream to see them doing it live. From the beginning with “Parallels”, I felt the power and the belief in their own music. To my surprise “Turn of the century” really took me very hard from the emotional side. Even more than the studio version. Also was “Going for the one” a great powerful moment to hear it live in a dizzy tempo. I heard “Close to the edge” for the first time and couldn’t believe my ears that it was all done in real time. And I was sooooooo jealous not to be Rick on his keyboards. He impresses me so hard to play with so much ease and virtuosity. This evening changed my opinion completely about rock concerts.
Koen Dejonghe, Belgium

:yesbird: :yesbird:

TRUEYOUTRUEME
03-15-2005, 09:25 PM
That is a beautiful first-time rockshow Koen Dejonghe. I very much enjoyed reading what you wrote about your first ever rockconcert. Yes and Donavan. Very cool.

I would of loved to see Yes back during them days. You seem to remember it magically.

My first rockconcert was the Outlaws at the Capital Theatre in Passaic back in... 77? They had Molly Hatchet warming up.

Shortly thereafter my second rockshow wash Rush, same place, the Hemispheres tour. I believe the warm-up band was Starz.

loulamb
03-15-2005, 10:43 PM
My first was ELO back in 1976(?) at Madison Square Garden. My friend was supposed to get Queen tickets, but they sold out, and he said "they had these at the box office, but I don't know anything about them". Needless to say, we were blown away by this show! My first impressions were how loud the music was (in a good way!), the clouds of herbal smoke in the air, and just in general, how cool it was to be there live and in person, with a couple thousand other people all in the same groove. I think the next concert was the GFTO tour in 77, same venue, Donavan opened. AWESOME! Before then we liked Yes as we liked a dozen other groups. After that night, I became a believer!

loulamb
03-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Oops, almost forgot...ELO was my first "rock" concert. I just remembered being a little kid, seeing The Vogues, a 60's era vocal group, with my parents at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City (way before the casinos took over). Must have been around 1968. Also fleeting memories of some big band at the '64 Worlds Fair, but we didn't stay long. I was 6 - probably wanted to go to the Hall of Science, little knurd that I was.

True Believer
03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Alice Cooper
Greens Playhouse, Glasgow
November 1972

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away ...

shewolf
03-17-2005, 07:46 AM
The Beach Boys, Seattle Center, December 1975

GaryC
03-17-2005, 07:48 AM
The Beach Boys, Seattle Center, December 1975

I am not worthy.

GaryC
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
My first concert was The Smiths at Palace Theatre, Manchester in March 1985.

yesiam
03-17-2005, 09:16 AM
UK at Penns Landing in Philly with my sister and her boyfriend Jerry - August 8, 1978

psubliminal
03-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Moody Blues, Cobo Arena, Mar 25, 1972. Next one was Emerson, Lake & Palmer with Mahavishnu Orchestra, at Cobo, on Apr 17, 1972. I went to about 5 more before seeing Yes for the first time in Sept '72.

earthskyduality
03-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Yes was definately the first show I ever went to way back in 74 or 75. I don't remember that exact years but the 2nd time was when they had the three great dragon heads rising up over the stage tha shot lasers out their eyes. It was spectacular.(I saw them two years in a row)

Other shows I went to back those days....Uriah Heep, Rush with Max Webster, Queen in 77 or 78, ELP, Supertramp, crisis tour backed up by Ike and Tina Turner atthe Queen E theater in Vancouver. Amazing acoustics for that one. The Who in 1980.

Ah, those were the days. There are not toomany bands I would pay to see now but I would definately go to Yes if they toured Canada again.

:1loudspkr

wolfhound
03-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Sonny and Cher ~ 1966 in Tampa.

There were 5 or so warm up bands, and every one of them played the Turtles' song "Happy Together".

I was 10 and felt very hip :)

YYY
04-12-2005, 02:19 AM
As an black kid growing up in Wash. DC in the late 60's, I used to listen to Soul and Motown music. At the age of 10-13 I had seen groups like James Brown, The Sylvers, The Ojays, Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Delphonics, The Stylistics, Kool & the Gang and more.

My very first major "Rock" concert was 'BLACK OAK ARKANSAS' in 1970 at Maryland University. I was 14 and this made a huge impression on me. Here were these roudy white rockers jammin with loud guitars and drums. The audience were mostly all white college hippie rocker college students. I remember seeing the 2 guitarist in BOA slam their guitars together at the end of their act. It was so bizarre, very different and surreal.

Later in 71 I saw STEVIE WONDER in a small college auditorium, GEORGE CLINTON & PARLAMENT FUNKADELIC who were a mindblowing psychedelic funk group back then and EARTH, WIND & FIRE before they became disco & famous.

During that same year I saw bands that included Dr John, Alice Cooper as well as Jethro Tull performing at my favorite roller skating rink and later YES for the first time with Bill later in 71. It was an amazing coming of age for me at age 15.

BILL HERWIG
04-13-2005, 10:26 PM
oh boy, 1 2 remember, late sixtys, boston garden jimi hendrix! opening was janis joplin!!!!!!! man was she bomed, us 2!! jimi blew us into another planet, so powerful, creative,every thing yu kan use 2 describe a pure rock god. my eyes hurt 4 days, painfull days 2!!!! wow eye was so waisted, 2 be 17 or 18 again, bring back those days an nights and bring back jimi, janis, jim morrison. just klose yr eyes an listen--------------------luv all--serve all, ride safe, biker bill

witheredleaves
04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
my first show was yes_ tales, i was 15, and the ticket cost4.50 imagine that!! i did some good purple microdot, {anyone remember microdot?} it was the size of a pin head, but it was very strong!! the colors and the sound were incredable, yes was using a quad sound system, they played all of close to the edge, and all of tales!!!! the stage was a landscape ,horseshoe crab over alan that had wings and they would show pictures on them, a dinosaur rib cage behind rick , it was incredable!! younger fans of yes got a taste of the old shows last year, the stage was magnifacent !!! the music was so good, from minddrive on the fist leg, to close to the edge on the secnd leg, and the best version of awaken ive ever seen,cant wait to see them again!!!

marklovesyes
04-17-2005, 07:04 AM
My first ever concert was the Bee Gees, 1979, Seattle Center Coliseum. I was 11 years old. They did a 20 minute version of Jive Talkin' for their encore and I was in HOG HEAVEN. It was my favorite song.

Little did I know I would be swept away by intentional 20 minute songs by a band called YES that I discovered in early 1983.

Luster
12-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Elton John in the '90s (no idea what year...) at... some venue... maybe Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods or the Oakdale or something

relayerjim
12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I wanna say 1971-72. Humble Pie at the Spectrum in Philly. It was amazing. Back then it was called a dance concert so there was no floor seating. So once you got into the Spectrum you would run as fast as you could to get close to the stage. It was insane, and the music was loud and the place rocked and the people were cool. Also back then the stadium always seemed like a big cloud of smoke. All-n-All it was a great first experience.

Purple Wolfhound
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Oh man - first concert? SURE! It was most likely Wishbone Ash at the Masonic Temple Auditorium in Detroit - early '70s. Renaissance backed them up, which I passed up at the time because drinking beer and smoking joints was more important. I eternally regret that decision to this day...

Then again, it could have been Mott The Hoople around the same time at the same venue previously mentioned with young punks Aerosmith as the opener. That one carried the distinct memory of Steve Tyler wearing what looked like a brown bathrobe doing cartwheels or something across the stage. Blew Mott right off the stage, too!

barra1
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
the first concert I saw was back in 1974 at the Glasgow Apollo (RIP) in Scotland , the band was Nazareth. I was only 14 and loved the experience, second front row of the balcony if I do recall.

To keep the tradition of first concert being Nazareth I took my daughters aged 7 & 8 to see Nazareth on Wedensday 25/7 where they were playing a free show at the fetival of lights in Peterborough near Toronto.

33 years later and I still enjoyed them , only 2 remaining members from 1974 , those two in their 60's but still loving it and sounding good.

My girls seemed to enjoy it , oh I would love them to see Yes!

Fergus

PS in 1974 the support band was SNAFU , I mention this because I will never forget the lead singer walking on stage ( remember 14, my first gig)
taking the microphone and before saying a word farting in it!!
I thought Rock'n'Roll.

fovman
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Chicago II 1970
Omaha Civic Auditorium

Wartypig
07-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Genesis, Knebworth 24-6-78.....

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/img020-1.jpg

Simon B
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
The Glitter Band - Heavy Steam Machine (Hanley Stoke on Trent) 'bout '72/'73?

They closed venue just after for 'elf and safety reasons!

SadPreacher
07-29-2007, 01:46 AM
1968, Ted Nugent And The Amboy Dukes....watching him do Journey To The Center Of Your Mind while tripping for my first time was a gas....he was in a loin cloth and shooting flaming arrows over the crowd that stuck in the back wall....wow...what a show for a 12 year old kid.....

Mc-Merc
08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm kind of embarrassed... Suzi Quatro, at the Hammersmith Odeon in Edinburgh, Scotland... I was 13. A few months later, Peter Frampton, at Poliedro, Caracas, Venezuela. I still have the ticket stubs...

That was 1980....

milestownyes
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
SUGARLOAF (believe it or not) sometime back in the sixties. It's all a blur at this point but they played Green Eyed Lady. It was a bit of a dance as I recall in Lewistown, Montana, I think. It would have to have been in 67 or 68 (winter) I think. Next one was Rick Derringer and the McCoys I believe in Missoula, MT around the same period of time in the summer. I'm getting too old.

plodder
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Cardiff Capitol Theatre (Now sadly closed)
November 23rd 1972
Emerson, Lake and Palmer

relayeire
08-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Pat Travers Band w/Johnny Van Zant and The Producers... June '81 at the Tampa Jai-Alai Fronton (deceased; apartments now stand on the site)

this venue is where Jon was supposed to have played when he came to Tampa on the Animation tour in 1982, but the show was moved to the smaller Crown Lounge across the bay...

MrZuLu
08-01-2007, 02:38 PM
SUGARLOAF (believe it or not) sometime back in the sixties. It's all a blur at this point but they played Green Eyed Lady. It was a bit of a dance as I recall in Lewistown, Montana, I think. It would have to have been in 67 or 68 (winter) I think. Next one was Rick Derringer and the McCoys I believe in Missoula, MT around the same period of time in the summer. I'm getting too old. That would have been December 1969. I remember because I saw them the following night in Salt Lake City opening for Spirit! I remember Jerry Corbetta saying Missoula was the COLDEST GDMother Trucking barn he ever played in!http://yesfans.com/images/icons/friday.gif

My first concert was Dave Clark 5, Bits and Pieces Tour
Paul Revere and The Raiders Featuring Mark Lindsey opened SUMMER OF 1966!

Timmo
08-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire

Trenton Armory (burned down years ago).

1971 (10 years old).

We were the only white people in the place.

Timmo
08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire

Trenton Armory (burned down years ago).

1971 (10 years old), "That's the Way of the World Tour."

We were the only white people in the place. I LOVED it! I was dancing with all of these hot black chicks, and they were so nice to me!

BlankReg
08-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm proud to say my first ever concert was Yes. It was 4/30/1984 - the 90125 tour at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Blew my high-school mind away. I got into Yes after the Drama tour ended and never thought I would ever get to see them. Then 90125 happened, and the rest is history.

relayeire
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I got into Yes after the Drama tour ended and never thought I would ever get to see them. Then 90125 happened, and the rest is history.

same for me... my first Yesshow was April 19, 1984... attended a handful of other concerts before that, though...

Wild Westie
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
The Monkees with Jimi Hendrix as the opening act in Seattle.

My father introduced both Jimi and The Monkees.

I don't remember anything as I was too young.
:leftG:
:crybby:

moonchild
08-05-2007, 05:54 PM
The Monkees with Jimi Hendrix as the opening act in Seattle.

My father introduced both Jimi and The Monkees.

I don't remember anything as I was too young.
:leftG:
:crybby:

Actually thats the first concert I attended, except at the North Carolina State Fair.. in July of 1967. I was about 10 years old. I don't remember the opening act, because we just screamed until the Monkees came on stage, but my brother reminded me years later that it was Jimi Hendrix.

My second concert was the next year, also in Raleigh, NC... Bobby Sherman! The opening band was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I remember them because their song "Mr Bojangles" use to make me cry.