PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Oliver Wakeman album

Internaut
09-30-2009, 12:05 AM
What's your favorite Oliver Wakeman album?

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/albums.html

It's a tough call for me... Today it's the 3 Ages of Magick..

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/images/album_sleeves/3ages_large.jpeg

crotale2112
09-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I do not own any Oliver albums but I quess it's time I did.

It is very exciting to hear that yes is on the move when it comes to making new music, i can't wait!

As a yes fan, I pray that Oliver brings back the magic of the mini moog and all of it's amazing dimensions in the realm of keyboards.
The moog is very versatile and beautiful when put in the right hands, like is dads.
A wakeman without a moog is like Howe without his 175D. Maybe seeing Oliver with a vintage moog might intice steve howe to bring back his beautiful electric Coral sitar.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6X0pq71c8Ng/SPh-Blit_nI/AAAAAAAABV0/3RkVVsU04eY/s400/A+New+Day+Begins,+Everglades+National+Park,+Flor+% 5B%5D.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6X0pq71c8Ng/SPh-Blit_nI/AAAAAAAABV0/3RkVVsU04eY/s1600-h/A+New+Day+Begins,+Everglades+National+Park,+Flor+% 5B%5D.jpg)
I sence a new dawn in yes. The sun has yet to crest the horizon but the sky is not dark anymore, it has taken on a beautiful colbalt blue with the stars sill shining away deep in the universe. As a yes fan I sit on this musical ocean shore with my energy fixed to the east, awaiting the golden glow of the heart of the sunrise.

JaneEyre
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
relayeire should be all over this thread...

Scottie
09-30-2009, 12:50 PM
What's your favorite Oliver Wakeman album?

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/albums.html

It's a tough call for me... Today it's the 3 Ages of Magick..

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/images/album_sleeves/3ages_large.jpeg
It's the only one I own, can you recommend my next one?

Internaut
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
It's the only one I own, can you recommend my next one?

Well, on the prog rockier side... I'd say Jabberwocky or perhaps the Coming to Town DVD... The Hound is one I like a lot too, but I would say it may be more of an aquired taste, as it tends to be more of a Progressive Rock Musical...

relayeire
09-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Jabberwocky. And I've personally told him so.

JaneEyre
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Jabberwocky. And I've personally told him so.

It's true. I was right there

<----- See?

Internaut
09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
BEWARE the Jabberwock!

relayeire
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
<~~~Beamish Boy

JaneEyre
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
<~~~Beamish Boy

You seemed more like a tree hugger that night.

relayeire
10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
You seemed more like a tree hugger that night.

Well, I have spent quite a lot of time in the bush.

yes75
10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I love The Hound of Baskervilles!

Internaut
10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I love that album too! My favorite track has to be The opening overture. I's a little bit Arthur, a little bit Carmen...

The bit at around 4:30 really gets me every time...

relayeire
10-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I have spent quite a lot of time in the bush.

And in Brazil.

Micah68
10-15-2009, 06:35 AM
i don't own any of his music - sorry

Sharp on Attack
10-15-2009, 07:55 AM
It will probably be YES's next akbum. I have never heard anything by Oliver and still wonder what's the difference between the Wakeman brothers...Rick has only worked and recorded with Adam (right?) yet he recommended Oliver to HSW...

Micah68
10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
It will probably be YES's next akbum. I have never heard anything by Oliver and still wonder what's the difference between the Wakeman brothers...Rick has only worked and recorded with Adam (right?) yet he recommended Oliver to HSW...

---

that's the mystery

Oliver is still a good musician though

Internaut
10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/

Here you will find at the top of the page a link to his albums, and another link called sounds which has a few samples.

For YES fans I recommend his 3 Ages of Magick as it also features Steve Howe...

Shame on me for not having the new Strawbs album, Dancing to the Devil's Beat

Wakey's #1 Fan
10-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Jabberwocky
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Mother's Ruin

can't tell in which order, but they really rock!

Internaut
10-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Nina, You can't go wrrong with any of these albums. You listed Mother's Ruin... Have you heard the Coming to Town DVD? It includes most of the album, but with Paul Manzi on vox instead of "Moon" Kinnaird. I think David Mark Pearce (guitars) is fantastic and "fits" with Oliver perfectly and I really think he's highly underrated.

marklovesyes
10-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Jabberwocky

bondegezou
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

He recommended both Adam and Oliver when Yes asked him in 2007, but he said Adam would probably be busy with prior commitments. Rick has indeed often recorded with Adam and never, IIRC, with Oliver, although they have occasionally performed live together.

Henry

SillyHumanRace
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
He recommended both Adam and Oliver when Yes asked him in 2007, but he said Adam would probably be busy with prior commitments. Rick has indeed often recorded with Adam and never, IIRC, with Oliver, although they have occasionally performed live together.

Henry

I don't think he recorded anything with Oliver where he actually played but I believe he did narrate on Jabberwocky.

bondegezou
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't think he recorded anything with Oliver where he actually played but I believe he did narrate on Jabberwocky.

You're right; I remember that now. Isn't Peter Banks also on that album?

Henry

SillyHumanRace
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep, Peter Banks is on Hound of Baskervilles too I believe.

Internaut
10-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, Rick did narrate Jabberwocky.. look in the sounds section of Oliver's site and you should find some bare takes of Rick...

Yes, Peter Banks played on both Jabberwocky and Hound...

edit - although he doesn't play on all the songs... On Hound, Arjen Lucassen and Karl Groom also play guitars...

Olias of BurryPort
12-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Just received "Coming to Town" Live in Katowice (shameless plug) from Olivers Mum !!!!!

Will let you know once I have heard it.

Internaut
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I just watched it (Oliver's Coming to Town DVD) yesterday. I still like it a lot. I especially like it at the end with Walk Away and then the encore Coming to Town as the fun, energetic ones... earlier, The Burgundy Rose and Mother's Ruin are back to back as a fine pair of songs with the "soft touch". I love all the songs and always enjoy this disc.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of seeing / hearing this disc?? Too bad my original copy is in Brasil, or I'd try to have him sign it for me when he's in Boston Tuesday... Oh well, I'll have to bring Steve's Spectrum CD and see I can get them both to sign it.. as Oliver plays on some of the tracks...

AmorReal
07-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Purification By Sound, out of the two that I have so far.

relayeire
07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Jabberwocky!

JaneEyre
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Jabberwocky!

Oh wait. Where's Marge??

rick not wakeman
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
While I love the two Wakeman/Nolan discs, the Wakeman/Howe "3 Ages of Magick" album gets my nod. Beautiful album. Always surprised by how many yesfans are unfamiliar with it.

relayeire
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Jabberwocky!

Oh wait. Where's Marge??

Have you checked Ohio?

While I love the two Wakeman/Nolan discs, the Wakeman/Howe "3 Ages of Magick" album gets my nod. Beautiful album. Always surprised by how many yesfans are unfamiliar with it.

Steve contributed a lot to that one. It's the first one I bought, but I still like Jabberwocky best.

JimSVoit
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
My favorite would have to be Purification By Sound....seeing as how it's the only one I own. It's very relaxing. There's definately some Tangerine Dream influence there. :) I plan on getting Enlightenment & Inspiration someday soon, too! I loved the song "Even in the Breeze" from that.

Here's a video of that song...check it out. Whoever posted it on YouTube called it "Even In A Breeze", but Oliver's website says "the Breeze". lol...close enough, I guess. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGIqbXSRvOc

Internaut
07-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I plan on getting Enlightenment & Inspiration someday soon, too! I loved the song "Even in the Breeze" from that.

Here's a video of that song...check it out. Whoever posted it on YouTube called it "Even In A Breeze", but Oliver's website says "the Breeze". lol...close enough, I guess. :)

Yes, this is a nice track, my favorite from this album is one of my overall favorite Oliver tracks, Progress of the Soul. It "grabbed" me the first time I heard it and has never failed to have "it". I have the original release, which was part of a 3 CD set, of which Oliver did one of the discs.

AudioSlave
08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
"3 Ages of Magick". That's the only album I have of his so far.

Yesed
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Was going to ask. This one sounds interesting. Not owning any of his stuff, something with Howe has to be good.
Nina, you didnt list it. What you think of it?

How about a review from some one!
Ive seen some video of his band live, very tight. Hopefully he breaks out on his own again after Yes with some powerful stuff.

Internaut
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
How about a review from some one!

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/reviews_3ages.html

There are a few here, including mine, which I wrote almost 10 years ago

bondegezou
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Personally, The 3 Ages of Magick is the worst album with Oliver Wakeman on it that I've heard, and one of the worst albums with Steve Howe on it that I've heard. I'd recommend Jabberwocky (with guest appearances from Peter Banks and dad Rick) over 3 Ages.

Henry

yesanneyes
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I think I'll pick up Jabberwocky. I'd love to have him sign it when we see him next.

Sharp on Attack
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Oh No, I just bought 3 ages on eB** to get a appetizer for YES 's next album and only now you're saying this Henry! Damn.

Internaut
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd recommend Jabberwocky if you're looking for more of a "YES" sound? 3 Ages is not typical of what you would expect in a YES vein. I happen to like 3 Ages a lot, but can understand it, like all other works, is not everyone's cup of tea...

3 Ages does prove that Oliver and Steve can work together well, and having a history (including "Australia") of working together bodes well in Oliver's fitting in with the new album compositions.

One can, with an easy youtube search, find some of the Jabberwocky album played to static pictures of the cover

yesanneyes
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd recommend Jabberwocky if you're looking for more of a "YES" sound? 3 Ages is not typical of what you would expect in a YES vein. I happen to like 3 Ages a lot, but can understand it, like all other works, is not everyone's cup of tea...

3 Ages does prove that Oliver and Steve can work together well, and having a history (including "Australia") of working together bodes well in Oliver's fitting in with the new album compositions.

One can, with an easy youtube search, find some of the Jabberwocky album played to static pictures of the cover

Good to read this!!! Thanks.

crotale2112
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I was fishing around on the internet and found this...

Not sure if has been posted or not, but it seems like a beautiful little taist of Oliver Wakeman's work.

Yesed
02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks like I'll start with Jabberwocky. I still have to get '3 tricks'. Anything with Steve and Oliver has got my ear.
Thans for the headsup!

Yesed
02-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks Crotale,
That was nice! Oliver is definitely his fathers son. I hear Rick in his music and playing, but with a deeper texture, at least in this piece.

Internaut
02-20-2011, 09:23 AM

I forgot to mention that Oliver also appears on Steve's Spectrum album.

bondegezou
02-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I forgot to mention that Oliver also appears on Steve's Spectrum album.

As do Tony Levin, and both Dylan and Virgil Howe; see http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/Spectrum.html

Henry

Michelle Johnston
02-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Personally, The 3 Ages of Magick is the worst album with Oliver Wakeman on it that I've heard, and one of the worst albums with Steve Howe on it that I've heard. I'd recommend Jabberwocky (with guest appearances from Peter Banks and dad Rick) over 3 Ages.

Henry

I am sure like me you are trying to read the runes as to what exactly is happening in LA. Meanwhile, whilst I have the greatest admiration for Olivers accurate and loving renditions of Yes music over the last three years, having had a listen to Olivers playing across a good deal of his solo output it lacks a certain fizz and excitement for me and it all sounds a bit generic and comfortable I could see Trevor Horn being underwhelmed.

Matt aka Patrick
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
How does Oliver sound with the Strawbs? I would love to hear him with them..... I haven't listened to any of Oliver's solo outputs yet. I'm one to go with an underdog and from the start it doesn't seem as if he has had an oppertunity to showcase his talents("Aliens" to me does not count). Oliver also seems very reserved in contrast to his Dad's flamboyence on stage. Thanks, Matt

bondegezou
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
How does Oliver sound with the Strawbs? I would love to hear him with them..... I haven't listened to any of Oliver's solo outputs yet.

I like his work on the latest Strawbs album Dancing to the Devil's Beat. I think to date his only other released work with the band is two tracks on the 2CD 40th Anniversary Celebrations Vol. 1 Strawberry Fayre.

Henry

Internaut
02-25-2011, 08:35 AM
a new youtube posting, this is one of my favorite piano pieces by Oliver, called Progress of the Soul

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OlGGK8F--gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

more youtubes, including a live piece with the Strawbs can be found on Oliver's site

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/youtube.html

yesanneyes
02-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I'd love to purchase Jabberwocky but I can't seem to find it for less than $49.00! Yikes. Checked Ebay and Amazon and Oliver's own website.

Internaut
03-03-2011, 11:34 AM
don't give up hope, Anne. There's still time to get a copy and have it signed later this month.

Ours is signed, by Oliver and Tony Fernandez, I even have a picture of Tony signing it, after the first Return to the Centre of the Earth show in Trois Rivieres.. 2001 - wow 10 years ago already...

Scottie
03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
It would be nice if they would offer some title/s at the merch table this leg. Both Steve & Chris had CD's for sale which I took advantage of in the past.

Whitefish
04-11-2011, 06:18 AM
As much as Rick was against Yes not having Jon in the band, I am sure this will outrage him just as much, if not more; being it is his own son.

rememberer
04-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I got Mother's Ruin a week or so ago, and I really like it...

Which is strange, because I'm not sure it's an album I'd be that excited about if it weren't for what Oliver has added to the guitar and percussion, but I think he did brilliantly adding some proggy sound and feel to things I might ordinarly have trouble thinking of as very proggy.

More than ever I think it would be unfair to think that Oliver is lacking anything to bring to the table creatively.

Borris
04-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I got Mother's Ruin and while it has satisfied my curiosity it hasn't done much else. Oliver does seem to be following in his father's footsteps, but his playing lacks fire and the music lacks audacity. I didn't feel he had anything special to say. But who knows it may creep up on me.

Shutoku
09-08-2013, 04:34 AM
So far I've managed to get 3 ages, Jabberwocky, and The Hound of the Baskervilles.
I cannot express how deeply I love Jabberwocky. Simply a fantastic album! I even tweeted Oliver to tell him so and he thanked me.
Honestly it is right up there with his Dad's journey and King Arthur for me.

Shutoku
10-14-2013, 01:50 AM
So for those who have the CD of Jabberwocky, I am looking for the lyrics to the song "Enlightenment"
I don't yet have the CD though if I find one at a reasonable price I will be all over it. I have it via YouTube which isn't ideal of course, but at the moment it is all I have. I absolutely love this album though so eventually I will definitely get a CD. (I assume it is out of print now, so I'd really like to see a re-release with royalties going where they should. If I am mistaken someone let me know please.)
I would like to learn to play this album and maybe even put a perfomance together locally with some of my students. The lyrics to all the other songs are on the internet on various sites, but none have the lyrics to this song for some reason.
I know the CD comes with a booklet with lyrics, so if anyone has it and would be so kind as to PM me the lyrics tot hat song I would appreciate it.

Even if you don't....such a great album, do youself a favor and look it up on youtube if you haven't heard it. I'm pretty much addicted to it right now!!!

mikeyzer0
10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
So for those who have the CD of Jabberwocky, I am looking for the lyrics to the song "Enlightenment"
I don't yet have the CD though if I find one at a reasonable price I will be all over it. I have it via YouTube which isn't ideal of course, but at the moment it is all I have. I absolutely love this album though so eventually I will definitely get a CD. (I assume it is out of print now, so I'd really like to see a re-release with royalties going where they should. If I am mistaken someone let me know please.)
I would like to learn to play this album and maybe even put a perfomance together locally with some of my students. The lyrics to all the other songs are on the internet on various sites, but none have the lyrics to this song for some reason.
I know the CD comes with a booklet with lyrics, so if anyone has it and would be so kind as to PM me the lyrics tot hat song I would appreciate it.

Even if you don't....such a great album, do youself a favor and look it up on youtube if you haven't heard it. I'm pretty much addicted to it right now!!!

Hi - direct from Oliver - hope it helps...

Enlightenment (Wakeman / Nolan)

Standing alone in the open, visions come and go one by one
And if your mind refuses to be open, then the jabberwock has already won
But if only just for a moment, you'd resist the urge to turn and to run
Maybe then you'd finally come to realise that you are the chosen one

Trust in yourself, believe in yourself
Wipe away the blood that stains the purest soul
The great and noble actions, devotions to innocent dreams, innocent dreams

You're afraid of all your feelings and I know that they run deep inside
But when your doubt and your fear are too revealing
Never turn from your honour and pride

Know yourself, have faith in yourself
Wipe away the tears that stain the strongest heart
The clear and lasting visions
Erosion of innocent dreams, innocent dreams

I couldn't believe it when I felt that it was true
Oh, I soon realised that this was what I was born to do
And if fate had placed this honour in another hand but mine
I would never have believed that my life could change our time

Go where the wind blows and follow your fate
Don't let your doubts show, don't hesitate
Repeat

luvyesmusic
10-23-2013, 03:43 PM
YES Live at Lyon.

Oliver really shines through and most folks could finally hear and enjoy the man's talents as opposed to most live shows where you could see he was playing his arse off but that he was so low in the mix that it was and insult and frustrating to the fans and this most talented man.

Shutoku
10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi - direct from Oliver - hope it helps...

Enlightenment (Wakeman / Nolan)

Standing alone in the open, visions come and go one by one
And if your mind refuses to be open, then the jabberwock has already won
But if only just for a moment, you'd resist the urge to turn and to run
Maybe then you'd finally come to realise that you are the chosen one

Trust in yourself, believe in yourself
Wipe away the blood that stains the purest soul
The great and noble actions, devotions to innocent dreams, innocent dreams

You're afraid of all your feelings and I know that they run deep inside
But when your doubt and your fear are too revealing
Never turn from your honour and pride

Know yourself, have faith in yourself
Wipe away the tears that stain the strongest heart
The clear and lasting visions
Erosion of innocent dreams, innocent dreams

I couldn't believe it when I felt that it was true
Oh, I soon realised that this was what I was born to do
And if fate had placed this honour in another hand but mine
I would never have believed that my life could change our time

Go where the wind blows and follow your fate
Don't let your doubts show, don't hesitate
Repeat

That is fantastic!!! Thank you (and Oliver) sooooo much!

Rabin105
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Does Live in Lyons count?