PDA

View Full Version : Biloxi show 12/12

bobby45
12-13-2008, 12:58 AM
The Biloxi show was very good, but Benoit sounded like he has a cold. No solo stuff from Steve, and also no Alien or LDRR/Fish. Two encores, OoaLH and Roundabout. Steve, Alan and Chris seemed to be having a great time.
We were in the last row, dead center. Great view since it is a small venue. We were right next to Wolfehollow and his wife. Great to meet another YesFan.

sissywoods
12-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Saw Oliver at the cafe. Yes billboard on the way.. couldn't get a pic, too dark in the car.. nice to see the advertisement. Looked for other Yes fans at the bar too but didn't see anyone. We got there around 6:30 so may have just missed you guys.

yesyadda
12-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Wow sounds like you all got short-handed. too bad.

bobby45
12-13-2008, 01:46 AM
I just read the comments (from the Nashville show) by SouthSideGuy about Benoit's voice. Yeah, his voice could be tired, but he did not seem too low in the mix tonight. He is still doing Onward, and to this non-expert, that would be one song to drop if your voice was on its last legs. I do agree that Benoit does not have Jon's stage presence, but he does seem to be having a good time, and he's not just "phoning it in". Only Jon is Jon, that's for sure.

kennethb
12-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Just made it back into Baton Rouge from Biloxi.

We had three inches of snow yesterday and then Yes today. What an incredible two days. I don't know if it is rarer to have snow or to see Yes, but having the two together made for a great week.

I brought my 13 year old son this evening. He fell asleep on the way home, so we did not discuss the show much. However, I thought the show was excellent. Not being a musician, I did not detect any miscues. It would have been nice to have Steve's solos as I think the crowd would have been respectful. Did not miss Aliens, and Owner was a surprise.

I guess what made this show special was that I practically ate supper with Benoit. After going through the buffet line, I sat down and noticed someone with a Nashville Tenn shirt and I thought looked like Benoit. I asked him if he was here for the show and he said yes. And after a short pause, said he was the singer.

We talked Yes, his experience joining the band, family, south Louisiana, and all. Later as we were back in the buffet line, I pointed out the alligator sausage and he asked if he should get some. I said as long as it does not effect the show tonight. He has two teenage boys who he has not seen since the first two shows in Canada. Sounds like Yes west is a go. He was not sure about Europe. He had walked the area around the Beau Rivage and after explaining how the area was effected by Katrina, understood why he saw a barren beach front and abandoned houses.

Overall, he seemed to be just one of us who has the gift of having a voice like Jon's and said is happy to be able to continue the Yes music for all of us to hear. He has not met Jon and does not know if he will.

I did suggest that next time he make the band come to New Orleans to be closer to the french heritage that his part of Canada is connected to. And too, the drive would be just a little shorter.

acejackalope
12-13-2008, 02:25 AM
What a cool experience!

I don't suppose he mentioned if any of the shows had been officially recorded, or if other bands might join them in 2009?

We had three inches of snow yesterday and then Yes today. What an incredible two days. I don't know if it is rarer to have snow or to see Yes, but having the two together made for a great week.

I brought my 13 year old son this evening. He fell asleep on the way home, so we did not discuss the show much. However, I thought the show was excellent. Not being a musician, I did not detect any miscues. It would have been nice to have Steve's solos as I think the crowd would have been respectful. Did not miss Aliens, and Owner was a surprise.

I guess what made this show special was that I practically ate supper with Benoit. After going through the buffet line, I sat down and noticed someone with a Nashville Tenn shirt and I thought looked like Benoit. I asked him if he was here for the show and he said yes. And after a short pause, said he was the singer.

We talked Yes, his experience joining the band, family, south Louisiana, and all. Later as we were back in the buffet line, I pointed out the alligator sausage and he asked if he should get some. I said as long as it does not effect the show tonight. He has two teenage boys who he has not seen since the first two shows in Canada. Sounds like Yes west is a go. He was not sure about Europe. He had walked the area around the Beau Rivage and after explaining how the area was effected by Katrina, understood why he saw a barren beach front and abandoned houses.

Overall, he seemed to be just one of us who has the gift of having a voice like Jon's and said is happy to be able to continue the Yes music for all of us to hear. He has not met Jon and does not know if he will.

I did suggest that next time he make the band come to New Orleans to be closer to the french heritage that his part of Canada is connected to. And too, the drive would be just a little shorter.

daniel sylvain
12-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Thank you for taking the time to report...Benoît is indeed a nice guy..

desiderata
12-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, kennethb!

kennethb
12-13-2008, 10:09 AM
No, I did not ask about who they might play with or recordings. I tried to keep discussion briefly about Yes, as I am sure he is asked about quite a bit, but to keep the discussion more about south Louisiana/Mississippi, family, and all.

Bluegrunt
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Sounds like Yes west is a go.
Yay!

He was not sure about Europe.
Boo!