PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gabriel forum?

illusion
10-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Would it be possible to add a Peter Gabriel forum in the "other bands" section of the site?

Would anyone apart from me actually post in it?

Kev
10-10-2002, 09:58 AM
I'll help ya out, Illusion.

Those specific Off-topic music forums never seem to keep rolling, though.

smatt
10-10-2002, 10:26 AM
I would stop on through a Gabriel forum. I'll put my word in for one! Can't wait for the new release, from what I've heard he's moved back to his late 70's style with it.

Gustavo
10-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Can't wait to see him!

smatt
10-10-2002, 11:46 AM
I just read this morning that Gabrieal is playing here in Los Angeles on Dec. 11th. Tickets go on sale this Sunday!

I'm there!:D

1yesfan
10-10-2002, 11:47 AM
ADDED! How many other Yest sites add things for it's members as much as we do, NOT MANY! :D

smatt
10-10-2002, 11:59 AM
That's because this is the bestest fan site in the world Tim!

Thanks! :cheers: ;) :D

Insane Teacher
10-10-2002, 12:10 PM
I have Peter Gabriel's new release, Up, in my car right now. The next CD in the changer is Magnificatiion. The contrast between these two discs is dramatic.

Up is a very percussion based album, that tends to be very dark and brooding. The songs are based more on rythm than melody, although the rythm tends to be slow to medium in speed. The songs tend to dwell on loss and isolation, perhaps from the perspective of someone who is mentally or physically ill. There is one upbeat tune entitled The Barry Williams Show that seems to be a parody on the Jerry Springer show. Blue Sky, with its gospel type feel, also is more upbeat. My favorite song on Up is "I Grieve," which features Peter Gabriel's voice at its best.

The sound on this album reminds me of the album that contained Games Without Fronteers, but it is a bit slower than that album and a bit more brooding. One song reminds me a bit of Red Rain from So. One song reminds me a bit of San Jacinto. I wouldn't call the sound on this album groundbreaking.

I think I like Up, but it can be a bit depressing. When Magnification comes on after Up has finished it feels like someone opened thick drapes and let bright sunlight in.

Gustavo
10-10-2002, 12:28 PM
It is definitely a dark album, and that is ok with me.

Yes, a lot of the songs remind me of previous work, which I think is a good thing. Why shouldnít PG sound like PG? He has updated his sound while keeping continuity with his roots. Itís a difficult task for a successful artist to move forward. If you change too much then you loose continuity in your body of work. On the other hand, if you donít, then you run the risk of repeating yourself. My feeling is that PG could have changed a bit more on UP but I am quite happy with the album. Listening to it with headphones is such a pleasure due to all the details.

My favorite song is Signal to Noise. This song is really dramatic, with a great buildup, and really eclectic. I love it. BTW, the rhythm on this song reminds me of Shock to the System. Anyone else think so?

Insane: my second favorite is I Grieve. He pours his heart out on this one. Next time I am down Iíll definitely use it to get out of it.

Tim: thanks for all the hard work!

Kev
10-10-2002, 12:43 PM
When first listening to `Up' it was very easy to compare the feel and melodies with Peter's past material. Having listened to it for just about 2 weeks straight (which is probably not a good thing for one's sanity if you're a terribly introspective person like myself) I'd like to think of it as his best work, yes; really. As a matter of fact, I'll even go as far to say that it's one of the greatest pieces of art in music.

`Up' was indeed a very personal album for Peter to make; it just seems that way due to a painstaking ten year production. I believe it is meant to be a very personal work for the listener. In listening to the interrelation between the lyrics and music after a couple of attentive listens; I started to hear it like a gift; That's just the one word that felt right. And it's been a long time since I'd ever really felt that way about a work of art. Again, it's all in the personal experience of the listener.

In Short, personally;

Best form of relateable artistic impression and music since "Pet Sounds" (May, 1966)

-Not as revolutionary, but in terms of artistic expression from influential musical geniuses in 20th century music; If "Pet Sounds" was Brian Wilson's heart, then "Up" is Peter Gabriel's mind. It's definitely worth a good $15 to have a peek.

Suggested listening order; 1, 7, 9, 8, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 (leave out 6)

Trifecta: 1-5-2, $187.30
Superfecta: 1-5-2-8, $1,716.00
:D