PDA

View Full Version : TR's setup gear...

gmmaj7
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello
I'm looking for any info on what gear TR used in the period between 1988 and 1995.
I'm talking about electric guitar, amps, effects etc...
I know he's used Westone guitars for instance,
but I remember he used a blue guitar during the Talk tour, was it an Ibanez ? what model ?
any info is appreciated, I must say I've always been a huge fan of TR's guitar sound...
cheers

StarDoggie
02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I believe that Trev was using a chain of Roland stomp boxes back then.
I remember buying a Boss flanger and along with the manual was a little flowchart of how Rabin set up the tones for OOALH. (as well as the setups for several other players/tunes) Have no idea how you could find it now.

cinderella
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
I have this Notes From The Edge article from 2002.

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but an interesting read anyway.

http://www.nfte.org/interviews/TR_TM_home_recording.html

cinderella
02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I remember he used a blue guitar during the Talk tour, was it an Ibanez ? what model ?
any info is appreciated, I must say I've always been a huge fan of TR's guitar sound...
cheers

Westone I believe changed to Alvarez. I'm pretty sure the blue guitar he used was a signature Alvarez which he lovingly calls his baby.

His amps are Ampeg 120's.

luckeydoug1
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
My Trevor Rabin personally autographed model is a high end (chrome) Yellow Westone. But then again, Trevor did not play this guitar. It was a prize from a Chicago radio station back in the day.

gmmaj7
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Westone I believe changed to Alvarez. I'm pretty sure the blue guitar he used was a signature Alvarez which he lovingly calls his baby.

His amps are Ampeg 120's.

Thanks everyone for the first infos already !

About Westone and Alvarez, it's a bit strange since I think Westone was making electric guitars and Alvarez makes acoustic guitats mainly. But it's very possible anyway, I just wonder.

I'll try to zoom on the videos of the TALK tour to try to find out.
I'll let you know if I manage to grab some info.

I really like the violin-like tone he gets especially when he plays fast licks.

gmmaj7
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
oh finally !

Is your Strat or your Trevor Rabin Model Alvarez you primary guitar? What amps do you use to get your sound (electric).

My signature model Alvarez has become my "most used" guitar. I use Ampeg 120's (amps).

http://www.nfte.org/Trevor.Rabin/tr_prior/forum/index.html

luckeydoug1
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Here is a pretty informative site re: Westone... http://www.westone.info/

'86WestonePantera
02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
My username on this site, '86WestonePantera, is the model of the blue guitar that is referred to in this thread. My userid on www.westone.info (http://www.westone.info) is colt933 and I post there frequently.

Specifically, the blue guitar is a Westone Pantera X-390 model. I currently own two of them (also blue) Here are some pictures: [/URL]

[url]http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=coltmodel933&album_id=216349 (http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=coltmodel933&album_id=216349%29)

In the interviews where he states that the Alvarez signature model is his main guitar, it's really the same old Westone Pantera X-390 with the Alvarez logo painted on the headstock and the Pantera logo on the body covered up with various things.

The Westone Trevor Rabin and Alvarez Trevor Rabin guitars are based on the Westone Pantera X-390 guitar (designed by Tom Presley). Presley was a designer and management-type at St. Louis Music (SLM), a distributor of famous brands such as Ampeg, Crate, Alvarez, Yairi, etc, and of course Westone in the USA. Presley also designed the Bendmaster FT and Bendmaster Deluxe tremolos.

Westone was a brand name once owned by Matsumoku of Japan. As Matsumoku phased out guitar production in Japan in the 1987-88 time frame, SLM began contracting guitar production to Korea. SLM did not own the Westone brand name, but they did own the Alvarez name, so after a time, the made in Korea guitars were given the Alvarez name. Alvarez is typically associated with acoustic guitars, but there were various Alvarez electric guitars made during this period as well. Alvarez is not a company that builds guitars. Alvarez is a brand name used by SLM and applied to guitars built under contract for SLM by various manufacturers in various countries.

His last known amplifier endorsement is the Ampeg VT-120, which is a 120 watt tube head. As stated in the Master Licks/Star Sessions video, most of his tone is in his rack. So the VT-120s were really used to amplify and NOT color his tone. He stated that they were warm and clean and that's why he used them (plus they were free!). Remember that Chris Squire has been a LONG time endorser of Ampeg bass amps and his association with SLM led to Rabin's association with SLM and Westone and Ampeg. SLM does not currently market any guitar amps with the Ampeg name, only bass amps. However, there are some really good vintage Ampeg guitar amps out there.

Rabin used a number of different Roland/Boss and Ibanez stomp boxes for compression and distortion. Also, the Eventide Harmonizer is a big part of his sound, from the pitch shift (perfect 5ths) of Owner of a Lonely Heart and Changes, to beautiful chorusing. He also mentions an out-of-production Korg digital delay during his Master Licks/Star Sessions video. Surely there are some parametric equalizers and tube compressors in his rack as well.

For a time, he used a complex Bob Bradshaw MIDI switching/looping system to affect changes. Later, he is reported to have used another system built buy an English fellow (the name escapes me) that was somewhat less complicated than the Bradshaw system from a user view, and also had in interesting ability to gradually fade from one patch to the next, thus creating more seemless switching. The Boss and Ibanez pedals were in drawers in his rack and switched through the Bradshaw and later switcher.

If you watch the 9012Live video, you will see the Bradshaw switcher and a volume pedal. You will not see any stomp boxes/pedals. Also, the Master Licks/Star Sessions shows the Bradshaw switching system and Rabin discusses it and his tone in some detail.

In one interview, Rabin stated that his favorite guitars were his famous Strat, the Westone Pantera, and a Gibson Barney Kessel. There are various pictures of Rabin playing other Westone products, such as the Spectrum FX (used in recording much of Big Generator), a custom Spectrum 12-string (not generally available through retail), and a Rainbow (I or II) which is similar to a Gibson ES-335, all during this particular time period. The acoustic guitar that he endorsed during this period was the Alvarez-Yairi DY88 which has no sound hole. It is the white guitar that he used for Solly's Beard. There are lots of older pictures of him with the famous strat, a beautiful Fiesta Red strat (like Mark Knopfler), an ash Telecaster, and a Les Paul. Many of these pictures were taken in front of a wall of Marshall amplifiers.

The main component of Rabin's sound, I feel, is compression. He preferred (according to the Master Licks/Star Sessions video) extremely light gauge strings: .008's. Sustain is not particularly good on these light strings, so LOTS of compression was necessary to help with sustain.

Rabin's interesting acoustic guitar tone on albums like Can't Look Away and Big Generator result from an interesting collaboration with Tom Presley. Instead the typical method of having a single signal path from the instrument to the processing and then to the amplifier, Rabin used multiple signal paths to great effect (pun intended). The guitar signal was split as individual inputs to various pieces of processing gear. Then the output of the various processors was input to separate channels on a mixing console. This allowed Rabin to bring back varying amounts of each processor, thus creating an incredibly textured sound. One would not ordinarily send an acoustic guitar through a distortion pedal, but by doing so independently of the other signals, and then mixing just a little of that distorted signal with other clean, dry, compressed, chorused, reverb, etc. signals, the end result is really interesting. You get the intense attack of the acoustic guitar, but with singing sustain of distortion/gain. This was very innnovative at the time.

Multiple signal paths are commonly used today to get a big, textured sound. Stone Temple Pilots guitarist Dean DeLeo splits his signal to various clean and distorted amps at the same time. He gets great textured sounds this way with loads of balls and sustain, but the chording definition is there too. Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society and Ozzy) splits his signal and detunes one path just a few cents. He then pans the de-tuned signal to one side and the standard tuned to the other side and gets a huge sound. Adam Jones of Tool uses a tri-amped approach. He uses a heavily modified vintage plexi Marshall 200 watt bass head for the lows, and a couple of Diezel heads for mids and highs. Blended together with some stereo panning, the end-result is monumentally big.

These techniques are commonplace now, but I believe Rabin may have pioneered much of them. Also, Rabin was very much a producer and engineer, so he knew and learned a lot about how to get the sound he wanted. Making a record with Trevor Horn (90125) was probably a big learning experience for Rabin as well.

Whew! Sorry for the long rant.

cinderella
02-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Trevor's Master Licks/Star Sessions video is awesome.

Anyone that loves Trevor should try and get this. It's so cool. :winknudge

I like when he talks about the old Swedish guy who makes his sharkfin guitar picks. He said he loses them all the time. He likes to keep one as long as possible because apparently they get better with age and he can bend them.

luckeydoug1
02-28-2008, 06:40 PM
My username on this site, '86WestonePantera, is the model of the blue guitar that is referred to in this thread. My userid on www.westone.info (http://www.westone.info) is colt933 and I post there frequently....Whew! Sorry for the long rant.

Many thanks for all of this information!

gmmaj7
02-29-2008, 04:26 AM
wow ! Thanks a lot for this in-depth explanation !
I have done some research yesterday on the internet and found out that maybe one of the other main component to TR's sound (with the obvious strong compression) was the old BOSS SG-1 pedal , that could be what gives the violiness to his sound (that's what I'm after, you know when he plays fast licks on electric that sounds like a violin).
It's a swell pedal, it removes the pick attack.
--> http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/SG-1+Slow+Gear/10/1
It's not made anymore and is worth a good 400$ on Ebay.
Guyatone has made a clone of this pedal, it's the SV-2 pedal.
--> http://www.guyatone.com/Sv2.php
It's probably worth checking if you're a gear freak like me !

gmmaj7
02-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Trevor's Master Licks/Star Sessions video is awesome.

I need to grab this video for sure !

'86WestonePantera
02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Interesting reading on the Boss SG-1. It sounds like a combination of compressor and auto volume.

I wonder if Eric Johnson uses something similar like the Guyatone? He's definitely got the violin thing going on.

Have you seen the 1994 Talk video from Chile? They play Purple Haze at the end but between (I think it's Owner of a Lonely Heart) and Purple Haze, Rabin's strat tone sounds JUST LIKE Eric Johnson!

cinderella
02-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Interesting reading on the Boss SG-1. It sounds like a combination of compressor and auto volume.

I wonder if Eric Johnson uses something similar like the Guyatone? He's definitely got the violin thing going on.

Have you seen the 1994 Talk video from Chile? They play Purple Haze at the end but between (I think it's Owner of a Lonely Heart) and Purple Haze, Rabin's strat tone sounds JUST LIKE Eric Johnson!

I've seen it, but it's been a while. I'll have to watch again.

One time I was listening to Desert Rose by Eric Johnson, and thought to myself, "This sounds a lot like Trevor's playing."

m4rk0
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Great Topic!
I too am trying to find more info on Trevor's sound and gear!

one of the guitars I am curious about is the blue strat he is playing on 9021live.
It seems to be a blue strat with a Floyd Rose and (what I think is) a solid rosewood neck. I love the fat tone on this song!
btw, I am a big fan exotic woods myself, and have 3 warmoths with raw exotic necks. :)

I also remember seeing some old pictures on this forum of Trevor with other westones (other than the pantera, 12 string spectrum or the westone/alvarez sig models)
I think they included a thunder, spectrum and maybe even a corsair. Does anybody know where these went??

thanks!!
Marko

m4rk0
03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHbJCDlIVU

'86WestonePantera
03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Great Topic!
I too am trying to find more info on Trevor's sound and gear!

one of the guitars I am curious about is the blue strat he is playing on 9021live.
It seems to be a blue strat with a Floyd Rose and (what I think is) a solid rosewood neck. I love the fat tone on this song!
btw, I am a big fan exotic woods myself, and have 3 warmoths with raw exotic necks. :)

I also remember seeing some old pictures on this forum of Trevor with other westones (other than the pantera, 12 string spectrum or the westone/alvarez sig models)
I think they included a thunder, spectrum and maybe even a corsair. Does anybody know where these went??

thanks!!
Marko

I think the blue strat from 9012Live is a made-in-Japan Fender with a painted black neck and the Kahler/Fender locking fulcrum tremolo (not like the Kahler Pro on the Westone Pantera). Fender made strats like this in the early 1980's.

There's a Westone Rainbow leaning against the wall in the Master Licks/Star Sessions instructional video. The 12 string Spectrum was a custom.

There are some B&W photos of him with a Spectrum FX that were in a Westone catalog or two and also from one of the magazine interviews from the 1980's. Cindy posted the pic here a while back.