PDA

View Full Version : great "screams" in rock n roll songs

happytheman
06-03-2007, 08:25 AM
What's your favorite "scream" from a singer? Robert Plant had his share, as did Ian Paice, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Roger Waters, hell even Alice Cooper was known to let one out now and then but my nod would have to go to John Lennon at the start of the single "Revolution".
Forgive me if this has been asked before, it's just with all the "polls" I've seen on this site I've never run across this topic.

podo
06-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Gotta be Roger Daltry in Wont get fooled again. An icon of a scream if ever there was one

DJ Panurge
06-03-2007, 08:40 AM
We want the world and we want it... now

We want the world and we want it...

...Now??

...NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!

:rightG: :drummer:

Simon B
06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Joe Cocker 'With a little help from my friends'. Contest over!

Ernie90125
06-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Thijs van Leer of FOCUS during 'Hocus Pocus'. Classic.

BillGuitar
06-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Ian Gillan in Space Truckin' :thumbs:

STILL (IMHO) the best scream by anyone.
Plus, he recovers beautifully.

Daltrey - I've heard WAY too much :crybby:
Thijs - I can't understand Dutch :winknudge
Lennon - just don't care for that particular song, never have...
Cocker - SiBro, I agree is one of the best.

I also love whatever tongue Janis was speaking in on "Down On Me"
(Is that the title?)

heartofthesunrise
06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Highway Star, man!

cactus jon
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Roger Daltrey in "I've Had Enough" from Quadrophenia

"I've had enough of trying to LOOOOOOooooooove"

relayeire
06-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Bon Scott - Highway To Hell

"And I'm going down... all the way... ahhhhhhh!!!"

Revolution and Won't Get Fooled Again are certainly tops, though...

neilius
06-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Can - Tago Mago, awhibliwihthissblbghbsluaaaaAAAAAARGHH!

Altres
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Tori Amos and Kate Bush have delivered some serious ear splitters in their time too. I think the women will always win on the screaming front.

Brian

cinderella
06-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Ann Wilson -

Crazy On You
Magic Man
Barracuda

Glenn Hughes and Ian Gillan

neilius
06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Roger Taylor on Queen's third LP, In the lap of the gods part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_8fD7x0Ur8

BlueEagle
06-03-2007, 11:59 AM
One you may not have heard is Al Kooper's take on Janis Joplin's screams on the 1st BS&T album on "MY DAYS ARE NUMBERED". It sounds like someone hit him with a propane torch. :lmao:

relayeire
06-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Roger Taylor on Queen's third LP, In the lap of the gods part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_8fD7x0Ur8

cool... but this is more of a falsetto than a scream, isn't it?

Sheerah
06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
The Beatles put out a few good screams:

Revolution
Hey Jude
I Saw Her Standing There.

But when I saw the title of this thread, We Won't Get Fooled Again was the first thing that popped into my head.

sirlespaul
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Won't get fooled again wins my vote.

Olorin
06-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Daltrey's sung screams near the end of "Love Reign O'er Me."

teenyesfan
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with those who say Won't Get Fooled Again and Love Reign O'er me
I think that the scream from Wont get fooled again is great live also

fovman
06-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Maynard James Keenan on "The Grudge"/TOOL:
23 seconds long

BlueEagle
06-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Another little-known one is Arthur Lee on LOVE's "REVELATION". He screams a dozen times like he's being stabbed. With headphones, it's pretty unnerving.

YESOLA
06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Heres a curve Gene Simmons on 100,000 years...that was decent anyway.

On the track "Draw the Line Stve Tyle virtually screams the entire last verse.

Andrea YouAndI
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree on all the Ian Gillan, Roger Daltrey, and Bon Scott songs mentioned. How about the end of Dirty Deeds, too? Yyyeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!

I also submit:
Roger Waters in Run Like Hell
Geddy Lee in Anthem
Robert Plant in Immigrant Song :winknudge

gathernear
06-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Alice Cooper-Public Animal #9
Pink Floyd-Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Sheerah
06-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Clare Torrey belting out great vocal instrumentals for PF's Great Gig In The Sky!

podo
06-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Some great stuff mentioned here. Certainly more than initially came to mind

Perhaps screaming is an artform in itself !

teenyesfan
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Clare Torrey belting out great vocal instrumentals for PF's Great Gig In The Sky!

Oooh I forgot about Great Gig in the Sky.. some great screaming there too. That may be my favorite song on the album.

True Believer
06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Oooh, yeah!

pedro skychaser
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
yeah the immigrant song as sung by jack black to a van full of impressionable younguns.....land of the ice + snow indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timmo
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
David Lee Roth in "Jump."

Dumb song, great scream.

Faceintheplace
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Roger Daltrey - Won't Get Fooled Again, other great ones are in I Don't Even Know Myself and I've Had Enough

Jim Morrison - When the Music's Over (live version from Hollywood Bowl 1968, Jim's opening scream severley damaged his mic cord and caused all kinds of glitches that had to be worked around when they put the concert film of the show out in the late 80's but it was damn cool)

Kate Bush - The Wedding List and Get Out of My House (she sounds like a feral beast at 1:47)

Pink Floyd - the segue between Happiest Days... and Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2

Pink Floyd - Great Gig in the Sky (Claire Tory)

black flag - Damaged 1 (Henry Rollins)

Scooty
06-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Pink Floyd-Careful With That Axe, Eugene

This would be very high on my list as the most blood-curddling scream of all time...

Won't get Fooled Again~The Who
Roger Daltery never fails to gove me chills every single time I hear it.

Kashmir~Led Zeppelin
With Bobby Plant I had to only pick one out of a very long list.

Gonna Raise Hell~Cheap Trick.
How Robin Zander EVER pulled this off I will never know..

yes_angel
06-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Light Up The Sky David Roth Van Halen days!

yes_angel
06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
David Lee Roth in "Jump."

Dumb song, great scream.Hell yeah Timmo

JaneEyre
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I must agree! Stops me dead in my tracks every time - goosebumps.

Tori Amos and Kate Bush have delivered some serious ear splitters in their time too. I think the women will always win on the screaming front.
Banshees. :lmao:

Oh, wait, so maybe I should nominate Siouxsie Sioux?

Kashmir~Led Zeppelin

"Bobby Plant" :lmao:

BlankReg
06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden had some great ones, especially "Number of the Beast." The screem after the intro is amazing, and so well-placed in the song. Love it.

Gotta also give a nod to Ian Gillan on "Child in Time." A song essentially bassed on screeming.

relayeire
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
some people have mentioned Geddy Lee from Rush... the first couple Rush albums were mostly screaming...

Andrea YouAndI
06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Gotta also give a nod to Ian Gillan on "Child in Time." A song essentially bassed on screeming.
Oooh, hell yeah, how could I forget that one! :clap:
Insanity personified...

some people have mentioned Geddy Lee from Rush... the first couple Rush albums were mostly screaming...
:dog:

Wakey's #1 Fan
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know if everybody knows this song: White Sister by Toto (from the Hydra album 1979)
What a great scream by Bobby Kimball near at the end of the track...I always have to play it loud.

Wartypig
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Steve Earl.....Coperhead Road

moonchild
06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Isn't it during "Set Your Controls" that Roger lets out that blood-curdling scream... over and over...

Thats the one I remember most.

teenyesfan
06-07-2007, 03:18 PM
How about Robert Plant in "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" from Led Zeppelin I. He has a couple great screams in that song.
"we gonna go... WALKING THROUGH THE PARK EVERY DAY".

and I forgot about Joe Cocker at Woodstock. Incredible screaming!

BlankReg
06-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Someone mentioned Glenn Hughes. His screams on Deep Purple's live version of "Burn" were pretty good.

The Whale
06-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Jim Morrison and roger daltry have the best screams for my money

Honreble mention goes to Bob Weir..... Bobby spit on me!

TNyesfan
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Kashmir~Led Zeppelin

That'd be the one!
Gives me goosebumps... still.

Andrea YouAndI
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Isn't it during "Set Your Controls" that Roger lets out that blood-curdling scream... over and over...

Are you thinking of "Careful With That Axe Eugene"? I don't recall any screaming in "Set the Controls"....

Olorin
06-08-2007, 12:26 AM

I believe that's in "Careful with that axe, Eugene."

Purple Wolfhound
06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Elvis Costello bookends "Man Out Of Time" from Imperial Bedroom with some rather frenetic guitar playing and all the screaming he could muster (his voice sounds ragged by the end). A strange way to begin and end a song that has a stately rhythm to it.

MrZuLu
06-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Careful With That Axe, Eugene

relayeire
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Robert Plant belts out a few good ones starting at about 4:42 into I'm Gonna Crawl (Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door)

moonchild
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I believe that's in "Careful with that axe, Eugene."

No I don't think so.. I don't have a video of Careful with that Axe, I do have one of Set the Controls - shot in an old church somewhere. Roger screams the longest darn scream in it.

happytheman
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
No I don't think so.. I don't have a video of Careful with that Axe, I do have one of Set the Controls - shot in an old church somewhere. Roger screams the longest darn scream in it.
Most memorable screams from Roger would be the above mentioned Careful with that Axe, also basically the same song Come in 54 your number is up from the movie soundtrack Zabrinski Point. And as I recall on the album More "The Nile Song" is a great one that I believe Gilmour screams on and of course (if you consider it a scream) Wright does a nice on on Saucerful of Secrets title cut.
Oh and I guess I got my "Ian's" mixed up when I mentioned Ian Paice from Deep Purple, obviously I meant Ian Gillan.

Jackaranda
06-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Beatles ~ Long Tall Sally, I Want You, Slow Down, Helter Skelter.....

Andrea YouAndI
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Robert Plant belts out a few good ones starting at about 4:42 into I'm Gonna Crawl (Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door)
Oh. My. Gawd.

Now there's a scream even to outdo those on Immigrant Song...

SadPreacher
06-11-2007, 12:23 AM
no one...absolutely no one could scream better that Ian Gillan....take your pick....Child In Time or Lazy.....the guy's larynx was developed genetically for screaming....

Imperatrix
06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Jude.

Joe Cocker doing With A Little Help From My Friends.

Plant doing I'm Gonna Crawl.

Daltrey's second scream in Won't Get Fooled Again.

Any of Janis' screams.

Oh, yes...Miss Clare Torrey on GGGITS.

The Queen...Aretha. Oh, just pick any song. I know she ain't rock, but she's the best of all the women, anywhere.

Suicidal Tendencies doing Institutionalized. Great screaming on there!

Anything at all by The Meatmen.

The Whale
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Just listend to some Rage agenst the Machine over the weekend and township rebelion is just one of many songs with some really good screams!

SadPreacher
06-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey Jude.

oh god...i forgot about that scream....the best Beatle scream ever.....

ToBeOver
06-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Billy Idol's, Rebel Yell.

:keyboard:

Imperatrix
06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
oh god...i forgot about that scream....the best Beatle scream ever.....

Absolutely, doll---and that fabulous scream set the stage for quite a few imitations, such as those uttered by Steven Tyler!

CybrKhatru
06-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Won't Get Fooled Again
Number of the Beast
Careful With That Axe
I'm Gonna Crawl

those are probably my 4 faves...!

soundchaser722
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Cool thread :)
Definately Ian Gillan on Made in Japan.
His incredibly harmonic screams on Child In Time still, to this day, give me goose bumps. He was insane on that whole album- he really belted it out on Strange Kind of Woman as well.
Another DP vocalist- David Coverdale on Made in Europe.
Other notables: definately Geddy with Rush's earlier material; also Doug Pinnick from KingsX.

Dantalion Rides Again
06-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" has this scream before the solo (great solo too, for early George!) that I've marveled at since I was in preschool.

Great to see "Won't Get Fooled Again" taking over the world in this thread. That scream is just the best. When my older bro was in town (lives on the opposite end of the nation!) he joined us at a gig and we jammed that tune ... I totally stole his thunder cuz I couldn't resist doing the scream myself.

It was totally informal anyway; it was a restaurant lounge and the instrumentation was just piano & acoustic guitar.

Awesome scream.

Anyone have Prince's 1999 album? There's a fantastically inhuman scream about 1/3 of the way thru "Let's Pretend We're Married" ... unreal. Prince is one of my favorite vocalists.

BillGuitar
06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
no one...absolutely no one could scream better that Ian Gillan....take your pick....Child In Time or Lazy.....the guy's larynx was developed genetically for screaming....

Yep :thumbs:

Andrea YouAndI
06-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Definately Ian Gillan on Made in Japan.
His incredibly harmonic screams on Child In Time still, to this day, give me goose bumps.

Great to see "Won't Get Fooled Again" taking over the world in this thread. That scream is just the best.

I have to admit I've tried both of these screams ;), and most of Child in Time is easier by far. Very far. Love them both, but nothing could really surpass Roger Daltrey.

However, I have NEVER tried to mimic Gillan in Space Truckin. Do you think I want to lose my voice and break glass while I'm at it? :eeek:

SadPreacher
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Number of the Beast

oh god Matt....it never crossed my mind to include metal screams...there are so many....and Dickinson alone has about 20 worth mentioning alone.....i am such a Dickinson fan...his solo stuff is as good or better than Maiden...i have over 30 solo Dickinson CD's even though he only released 5...i have all the singles, collectables, boots, japs, etc....him and Ronnie James Dio define metal vocals....lots and lots of screaming.....

SadPreacher
06-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Absolutely, doll---and that fabulous scream set the stage for quite a few imitations, such as those uttered by Steven Tyler!

you got that right T....

both you and Matt have listed some damned good screams....do you guys practice at home?????

CybrKhatru
06-14-2007, 02:28 AM
LOL....I'm afraid if we practiced those kind of screams we'd have to learn sign language. :lmao:

Imperatrix
06-14-2007, 02:34 AM
you got that right T....

both you and Matt have listed some damned good screams....do you guys practice at home?????

LOL....I'm afraid if we practiced those kind of screams we'd have to learn sign language. :lmao:

Tim, he's right....I've learned to moan instead. And in Ameslan, yet. :winknudge

CybrKhatru
06-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Tim, he's right....I've learned to moan instead. And in Ameslan, yet. :winknudge

hubba hubba hubba. :lol:

Imperatrix
06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Jon Bon Jovi does a pretty cool scream in the bridge of Wanted Dead or Alive.

Well, he does.

SadPreacher
06-19-2007, 02:09 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you two just crack me up....i love the snot out of both of you guys....

tommyhawk
06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Has anyone mentioned this one?

screamer: Rob Halford
band: Judas Priest
track: "Victim of Changes"

Wartypig
06-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Roger Waters (Floyd).....Sheep (just after "we fell on his neck with a scream")

Imperatrix
06-22-2007, 04:55 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you two just crack me up....i love the snot out of both of you guys....

Is a loving the snot outta you, too! :hearts:

Oh..Joe Walsh's Meadows! Hysterically funny scream in the beginning!

Sheerah
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Whale
04-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Jim in The Doors' When the Musics Over.

Epic.

zenslinger
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone have Prince's 1999 album? There's a fantastically inhuman scream about 1/3 of the way thru "Let's Pretend We're Married" ... unreal. Prince is one of my favorite vocalists.

I had to pick through the whole thread to make sure someone mentioned Prince. "Inhuman" is the word for many of the noises that come from that man.

cjreyes
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Nobody's mentioned Bobby in Whole Lotta Love!

orpheus
04-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, of course, Roger Daltrey is the man but honourable mention to Joan Jett in "I love rock n roll." I'm not sure if it's a scream or more of a growl but it gets me going every time.

fovman
04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Maynard James Keenan

Enlighten
04-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Everybody Lay Down - Pat Benatar

Whippin' Post - Greg Allman (the last Sometimes I Feel)

Smokin' - Brad Delp (Boston)

The Battle Rages On - Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

Carry On Wayward Son - Steve Walsh (Kansas)

pianozach
04-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Lennon has a couple on his debut album Plastic Ono Band . . . courtesy of his primal scream therapy.

Towards the end of Mother and in the middle of Well Well Well.

I can't believe that no one's mentioned Jim Morrison in The End

bob_32_116
04-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Joe Strummer in "Rock the Casbah" by The Clash. He sings "The crowd caught a whiff / Of that crazy casbah jive" and the word "ji-i-i-i-i-i-ve" doesn't finish until halfway through the chorus that follows. I know it's done digitally, but it's very effective.

JimSVoit
04-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Geddy Lee with Rush in the 70's...the greatest screaming in music, in my opinion. :D

2112 and Anthem are two of my favorites to hear Geddy WAIL!!!

Strawbs
04-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Mariah Carey singing "Someday".

cjreyes
04-22-2011, 03:45 AM
There are a couple of nice screams on Devo's first album. The song is Slap Your Mammy and I think that Mark Mothersbaugh does the screaming, or maybe it's that other guy.

Camphire
04-22-2011, 04:09 AM

That's hard to beat!

RobAdams
04-22-2011, 04:20 AM
The first thing to pop into my head?

Roger Daltrey on The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".

The version from the film "The Kids Are Alright" is wonderful...

Strawbs
04-22-2011, 04:55 AM
How about the scream at the beginning of "The Tell Tale Heart", by The Alan Parsons Project?

donk.bars
04-22-2011, 04:59 AM
"Careful with that Axe Eugene" is my absolutely top scream... Roger's been screaming a lot but this one's by far the best.

One that has not yet been mentiones (as far as I've seen):

Peter Gabiel and Phil Collins at the end of "Counting Out Time" - great screaming duet!

Sharp on Attack
04-22-2011, 05:20 AM
The one I'm thinking of is not in a song but I think it also qualifies. In between song scream by Lemmy on the No Sleep Till Hammersmith Live Motorhead album. It really scared the s**** out of my teenage self the first time I heard it and even on repeated listens, it was quite something.

bob_32_116
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
How about the scream at the beginning of "The Tell Tale Heart", by The Alan Parsons Project?
That one occurred to me too. That was, of course, Arthur Brown, from The Crazy World of... whose song Fire, from the late 1960s, also featured some serious screaming and maniacal laughter.

allpurechance
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
"Careful with that Axe Eugene" is my absolutely top scream... Roger's been screaming a lot but this one's by far the best.

One that has not yet been mentiones (as far as I've seen):

Peter Gabiel and Phil Collins at the end of "Counting Out Time" - great screaming duet!

For that matter, PG's pseudo-scream on Rhythm Of The Heat...yeah, so it's a melodic scream...

...but I think meant to be scream nonetheless...lol

But my favorite scream (and I know it's got to be mentioned here, in the thread, which I have not read - although maybe in the past - lol) has to be Daltrey's in Won't Get Fooled Again.

First time I ever heard(1971?...ish lol) it my adrenals secreted heavily.

LOL

Altres
04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UrMKtulK6aM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maninthemoon
04-22-2011, 12:06 PM
One of the greatest screams in rock history was when my beloved wife screamed "You're going to see Yes AGAIN!"

rmig68
04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Jon Anderson, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" just before the guitar solo in the drum breaks and then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vV_L7OQtU0

RowanMorrison
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Gotta be Roger Daltry in Wont get fooled again. An icon of a scream if ever there was one

If cougars could sing rock and roll, they would scream just like Daltrey. He can still do it too, even at his age.

http://depts.washington.edu/natmap/photos/mammals/cougar_01tfk.jpg

bob_32_116
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Ooh, I just remembered a great homegrown scream: Peter Garrett, vocalist for Midnight Oil, towards the end of "The Dead Heart".

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!

Strawbs
04-22-2011, 04:56 PM
"Free Ride", by Edgar Winter.

Faceintheplace
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
If cougars could sing rock and roll, they would scream just like Daltrey. He can still do it too, even at his age.[/IMG]

Nice.

He recently had some pre-cancerous growths removed from his throat and it's brought back some of the old power to his singing.

Other great Roger screams can be found in the Who's I Don't Even Know Myself (1971 studio version), I've Had Enough (the ending) and his backup vocals on Anthrax's Taking the Music Back.

Strawbs
04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Jim Morrison singing "The End", right after he says 'Mother, I want too...'

SilverShoes
04-22-2011, 06:15 PM
How about Freddie Mercury at the end of the guitar solo section of It's Late?

And another Roger Daltrey one: on Had Enough, Daltrey screams the first line, "IIIIII've had enough of feeling nice".

Another one that comes to is Phil Lynott on Thin Lizzy's The Rocker. Maybe not so much a "scream" as a "growl", but I think it sounds pretty cool coming out of that epic guitar solo from the underrated Eric Bell.

And then there's Peter Gabriel at the end of The Musical Box.

cinderella
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
One of my favorites is Robert Plant on Immigrant Song.

Geoff Tate (Queensryche) Queen of the Reich

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) Flight of Icarus

Gary Moore - Devil In Her Heart

Gary Moore - Nuclear Attack

gathernear
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
We want the world and we want it...

whatottenchu
04-22-2011, 08:11 PM
There's some screaming that I would say is not so great before and after Elvis Costello's "Man Out of Time" on Imperial Bedroom. In between is one great song.

Yestivus
04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
The screams of the Beatles (and I know that some of these were referenced in some very old posts): A Hard Day's Night, Long Tall Sally, Can't Buy Me Love, Hey Jude. . . when I was a kid I thought their screams (and falsettos) were soooo cool!

oh yeah, can't forget the introduction to Revolution!

Their screams thrilled me when I was a kid . . . and it is so cool that my 9 year old daughter listens to these songs with me now and when it's time to scream she gives me a big smile and lets it rip . . . thank you Beatles! :appl[1]:

By the way, she is playing Eleanor Rigby (one of her favorite songs) at her piano recital in 3 weeks. I am such a proud dad.

cinderella
04-22-2011, 08:50 PM
and it is so cool that my 9 year old daughter listens to these songs with me now and when it's time to scream she gives me a big smile and lets it rip . . . thank you Beatles! :appl[1]:

By the way, she is playing Eleanor Rigby (one of her favorite songs) at her piano recital in 3 weeks. I am such a proud dad.

Awww, how cool is that!
Eleanor Rigby is a wonderful song, I hope she does great. :D

witeskyn7
04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's one of the more obscure(?) ones,

The live version of misplaced childhood (Marillion)
where fish goes into;

'The Childhood...The Chiiiiiiiiillllldd-hoooddd'
'oh Please....Give It Back To Me!!!'

That, after hearing the whole thing up to
that point , really pasted me to the wall!

Yestivus
04-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Awww, how cool is that!
Eleanor Rigby is a wonderful song, I hope she does great. :D

Thanks Cinderella! She played it last week at her 4th grade talent show and all the adults loved it . . . the kids knew she played something cool but didn't know the song.

We will be videotaping the piano recital . . . I will be posting it on my Facebook page . . . I don't know if you Facebook or not, Cinderella . . .. if you do PM me here and I'll let you know how to "friend me" on Facebook! I'm FB friends with a few others here in Yesworld . . . hopefully more to follow!

Jeff

bob_32_116
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I had a laugh at the mentions of The Beatles here in connection with screams - because, as I remember, most of the screams at their performances came from the audience. Specifically, audience members of a certain age not possessing any Y chromosomes.

rojon
04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Jon Anderson, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" just before the guitar solo in the drum breaks and then...

Sounds more like Horn, might not be, I think I have heard the same scream sample elsewhere, but knowing how prolific Horn is , it could have been him using the sample again

SilverShoes
04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Sounds more like Horn, might not be, I think I have heard the same scream sample elsewhere, but knowing how prolific Horn is , it could have been him using the sample again

Yeah, I was gonna say, I suspect that the "scream" on Owner Of A Lonely Heart was more the result of digital manipulation on Horn's part, rather than anything that actually came out of Jon's mouth.

bells of awaken
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Joe Jackson....Beat Crazy...no contest

orpheus
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
John Fogarty - Travelin Band

maninthemoon
04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
One of my favorites is Robert Plant on Immigrant Song....

Oh yeah, that has to be on the list!

Got Up, Got Down
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM

ABSOLUTELY. Does anyone remember that he was the original voice for JC on the Jesus Christ Superstar record? "Maaaah temple should be a house of prayer...BUTYOUHAVEMAAAAAAAAAAADEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIT a den of thieves!" Unbelievable stuff.

bells of awaken
04-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Ian Gillan was a great rock n roll screamer i must admit.

Surely! Surely!
04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Lots of ones by Ted Neeley from the original cast during "Jesus Christ Superstar"

bob_32_116
04-27-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm not sure if they qualify as screams, more like yelps perhaps, but: what about some of Marc Bolan's more excited moments on T Rex songs? He does it towards the end of "Get It On" - sounds like someone dropped a hammer on his toes. It pops up again in "Jeepster".

Michael Hutchence (INXS) does something very similar on "Suicide Blonde".

RobAdams
04-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Peter Hammill did quite a few loud screams throughout the Van Der Graaf Generator catalogue.

A few that come to mind..."Arrow" from "Godbluff"; "Man-erg" and "Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers" from "Pawn Hearts"...

I'm sure PH's solo albums have a few examples...

Ceasar's Palace
05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm not really a fan of screaming in rock n roll songs, but I make an exception for the original screamer:
Screamin' Jay Hawkins:
His I Put A Spell On You was not only a great song, but
to scream (and snort and what else?) like that in 1956 was completely outrageous.
Never done better since...

Well, maybe Robert Plant on Kasjmir. I always picture Wile E Coyote from the Roadrunner cartoons falling in the Grand Canyon when I hear it...
(including that little puff of smoke)

whatottenchu
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm not really a fan of screaming in rock n roll songs, but I make an exception for the original screamer:
Screamin' Jay Hawkins:

That reminds me of another great screaming R&R song. I'm not sure if it was mentioned. Ronnie Hawkins and the Band in The Last Waltz - "Who Do You Love"
http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/pn012720.jpg

Purple Wolfhound
06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Of recent vintage - Leslie Hunt of District 97 belts one out towards the end of Termites.

ballroomblitzkid
08-09-2011, 12:01 AM
My two favorites:

Lou Gramm's "YEEEEAH!" from "Dirty White Boy" and...

I don't know if you can call this a scream, but it's more like a melodic yell...

Chris Squire's "WAAAAAAAHHHH!!!" at the time mark of 10:35 of "It's Love" from Yes' The Word is Live. One hell of a Rascals cover.

ballroomblitzkid
08-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say, I suspect that the "scream" on Owner Of A Lonely Heart was more the result of digital manipulation on Horn's part, rather than anything that actually came out of Jon's mouth.

I think those "yeeeeow!"s there were done by Chris. My ears may be deceiving me, but who knows?

TJSlipperman
08-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Not a big fan of screams in music (and certainly not the current "screamo" fad going on within the post-punk/emo/metalcore genres) but I do like Andrew W.K., who lets out a scream now and then in his songs.

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

tommyhawk
08-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Victim of Changes on the "Sad Wings of Destiny" album.

yesstardom
08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Roger Daltrey's Won't Get Fooled Again scream might be number one...

...but this scream on Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" at the 1:57 mark of the song is a very close second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tthd7LJPfmE&fmt=18

ballroomblitzkid
08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
If you pay close attention, you'll hear Mick Jagger yell before the sax solo in the Stones' song "Miss You".

yesstardom
08-24-2011, 09:11 PM
If you pay close attention, you'll hear Mick Jagger yell before the sax solo in the Stones' song "Miss You".I'm going to go and listen to "Miss You" right now... I got to hear that!

wolfhound
08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I gotcha you all beat.

That piercing scream in Papa's Will ~ Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes (live).

Play that one loud and you'll terrorize your entire neighborhood !

go to 6:50 (for the full effect, start around 6:30 .... oh, and turn it up! :-)
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9IeYQwgJxLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yesstardom
08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I gotcha you all beat.

That piercing scream in Papa's Will ~ Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes (live).

Play that one loud and you'll terrorize your entire neighborhood !

go to 6:50 (for the full effect, start around 6:30 .... oh, and turn it up! :-)
<iframe height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9IeYQwgJxLY" frameBorder="0" width="420" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>Man, that scream or yell by Ted Nugent is scary sounding...it might even be used for Halloween, when the kids ring the doorbell, to scare them...

ballroomblitzkid
08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Check out "See What a Fool I've Been" by Queen. Somewhere in there is a really loud scream by Freddie. If you get the chance, go listen to it. It's kick-ass!

ballroomblitzkid
11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh, and don't forget that there's a random yell from Peter Gabriel on "Back in N.Y.C." It scared me at first, but it kind of gets exciting as you listen to it more than 5 times without getting shaken up by that shout.

1yesfan
11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe not a SCREAM out of the blue on songs but some of the high rang hits that the ORIG BASS (MH) player of VH. He gets way up there at times.

pianozach
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM

I think those "yeeeeow!"s there were done by Chris. My ears may be deceiving me, but who knows?

Only one way to find out . . . Here's Yes live during the Union tour in 1991

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LvHFtF1rdRo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to about the 3:00 mark and you'll see who's doing the screaming . . . it's definitely not either Jon or Chris . . . it appears that it's Tony Kaye's hands . . .

Same thing here in 1988 at Madison Square Garden . . . again skip to about 3:00, and this time there's even a close-up of Kaye (the sound on this one is pretty sucky, though . . . )

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-NBj9BBFnjY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip ahead to 2009 . . . same story. Except, instead of Tony, it's Oliver. However, this has Steve doing the solo. IMO he starts out really nicely, putting his own stamp on it of course, then kind of loses focus about 3/4 of the way through it. It does lack that balls-to-the-wall electrocuted-guitar-sound that Rabin and Sherwood were able to pull off.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LvHFtF1rdRo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to about the 3:00 mark and you'll see who's doing the screaming . . . it's definitely not either Jon or Chris . . . it appears that it's Tony Kaye's hands . . .

Same thing here in 1988 at Madison Square Garden . . . again skip to about 3:00, and this time there's even a close-up of Kaye (the sound on this one is pretty sucky, though . . . )

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-NBj9BBFnjY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speaking of Billy . . . I found this version with Jimmy Haun, Billy (on bass), Tony, and Bobby Kimball. And some other guy I don't recognize downstage right on a microphone only . . . ( . . . ? . . . ) . . . and an extra keyboard.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LT5RDWIMFaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gawd Jimmy Haun is just friggin' awesome, ain't he?

In fairness, here's the version with Billy on lead guitar from the OYE tour in 1998 . . . Steve's there, but looks like there's a gun to his head.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9dbLqIy2_m0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pianozach
11-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Skip ahead to 2009 . . . same story. Except, instead of Tony, it's Oliver. However, this has Steve doing the solo. IMO he starts out really nicely, putting his own stamp on it of course, then kind of loses focus about 3/4 of the way through it. It does lack that balls-to-the-wall electrocuted-guitar-sound that Rabin and Sherwood were able to pull off.

Speaking of Billy . . . I found this version with Jimmy Haun, Billy (on bass), Tony, and Bobby Kimball. And some other guy I don't recognize downstage right on a microphone only . . . ( . . . ? . . . ) . . . and an extra keyboard.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LT5RDWIMFaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gawd Jimmy Haun is just friggin' awesome, ain't he?

In fairness, here's the version with Billy on lead guitar from the OYE tour in 1998 . . . Steve's there, but looks like there's a gun to his head.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9dbLqIy2_m0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Internaut
11-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think anyone could beat Lennon and/or McCartney

Machine Messiah
11-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Some very good mentions so far, especially Daltrey, Plant and Gillan. I'll nominate two more- firstly, Rob Halford of Judas Priest over the intro to Screaming For Vengeance- a truly inhuman wail, and David Bowie in Five Years and Rock 'n' Roll Suicide- both are screams of desperation, where he practically ACTS the songs rather than sings them.

pianozach
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Only one way to find out . . .

Found it.

Yes - Talk 'Active' CD-ROM.

Check in at the 15:30 mark and Tony demonstrates the OOALH scream, as well as a few of the other samples.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3KDVuDb0Q20?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SSB
11-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden had some great ones, especially "Number of the Beast." The screem after the intro is amazing, and so well-placed in the song. Love it.

For a split second,i thought nobody was gonna mention Child in time,nothing out there can come close to it.

ballroomblitzkid
11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Nina Hagen, to me, has to be the Queen of Screams. She screams in almost every song she does, and that's what makes it exciting. Even when you're about to fall asleep, that little shriek she does wakes you right up!

yesstardom
11-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Found it.

Yes - Talk 'Active' CD-ROM.

Check in at the 15:30 mark and Tony demonstrates the OOALH scream, as well as a few of the other samples.

<iframe height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3KDVuDb0Q20?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="480" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Loved this! Thanks. :D I had never seen it before...

That is cool how Tony Kaye creates the Owner scream with his keyboard...and the keyboards for Endless Dream sounds so classic...

I also like how Trevor came up with the guitar riff for State Of Play, when he heard the siren of an ambulance and he was intrigued with the siren sound...Trevor is amazing...Trevor says that Walls is the final track on the cd, so that tells me that they wanted it to be that way originally...

I also like how Jon is spiritual always, and he explains Where Will You Be....

Watching this makes me a little sad :D last album with Trevor ....I place Talk as the second best Yes album of all time...

ballroomblitzkid
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I think I remember listening to Prince's "Jack U Off". Right before going to the guitar solo, you'll hear him yell "YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAH!!!" One of the most empowering moments I've ever experienced. Now I always do the scream along with him every time before the guitar solo.