PDA

View Full Version : Three Days Posts/New Posts Redux

umgekehrt
10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
This is just an idea that may or may not be implementable, and not directed personally at any person or group of people. I apologize for any misunderstanding that might ensue.

The Three Days Posts/New Posts function is great, but sometimes we are flooded with 30 or so threads from the Games forum, or the "What are you hearing/seeing/touching now" sort, or old polls that pop up from obscurity. I enjoy those threads, and post there occasionally. But sometimes it's a bit overwhelming if you're looking for other discussions and find only those threads on the first page.

If there is any way to separate those threads from the "normal" discussion threads in the search function, that would be great.

Would you agree that those threads be shown separately, or at least there's an option to hide them in the search results?

Dantalion Rides Again
10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Personally, I would love an option to filter out games threads when searching for new posts. I have the same problem, but like yourself, I don't want to offend the game players ... that's just not my type of thread, you know?

Mostly Harmless
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Tough to say. For some, the games forum is where they normally post. This is likely to be true of the politics forum as well. I think it's a bit difficult to define "normal" here.

InverYes
10-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I have noticed that sometimes a member may go through all the games threads in one sitting and that throws up a lot of results in the 3 day or new searches, but it's very easy just to scroll down past all those entries and only look at the ones you're interested in.

What does anybody else think?

yesyadda
10-23-2006, 03:01 PM
I think it's a bit difficult to define "normal" here.

Ain't that the truth! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Sheerah
10-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Surely the gamers know the games in which they participate. I'm sure it's easy for them to go right to the threads directly.

cinderella
10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I've played a lot of the games and it's true that they do flood the forum a lot of the time knocking the other threads back. I find it happens to the birthday threads I make for people, and I'm afraid they'll get lost. But then again the birthdays have their own forum so they can be found easily.

I normally just go through and search. That's about all you can do.

If you have a thread you really want people to see, just keep bumping it. :winknudge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/Goodies/bumpmice.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/Goodies/bumpmice.gif

tardistraveler
10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't know - if we filter the games threads, then someone else will want politics filtered, and so on . . .

It would be nice if you could set a filter when you enter Three Days Posts to just filter for a particular forum - that way, if you like games, you could filter for games and play those first, if you like politics, you could filter for politics, etc. I don't know if that's possible or not.

Otherwise, I'd say just leave things as is.

Jackaranda
10-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Leave the games alone and lose the politics.

InverYes
10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
You can always use the Advanced Search to search for posts in a specific area.

Andrea YouAndI
10-23-2006, 10:01 PM
I have noticed that sometimes a member may go through all the games threads in one sitting and that throws up a lot of results in the 3 day or new searches, but it's very easy just to scroll down past all those entries and only look at the ones you're interested in.

Ditto. :thumbs: I used to go through the forums one by one by using the drop-down menu, but since I discovered the "New Posts" option, I can get through a lot faster. Even though I could care less about posting in the Political or Genesis Polls threads, it takes no time at all to scroll by them. When you consider the way I used to do things, the New Posts option is fine with me as-is.

cinderella
10-24-2006, 12:25 AM
You can always use the Advanced Search to search for posts in a specific area.

Right, or sometimes I'll remember something a certain Yesfan said, but forget where it was, so I just do a search with their name to find it. There's a lot of ways to maneuver when you need to.

Purple Wolfhound
10-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Leave the games alone and lose the politics.
I knew there was a reason why I liked you, Jack. :D

1yesfan
10-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Everyone likes various threads and topics thus it would be a nightmare for me to make everyone happy. Lucky for me there is no way to do what is asked here. Sorry!

Bugeyes
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
It's easy for me to skip the game threads on the Three Day Posts list.

I hate that we only have three days! Lately, life is running so fast, it takes me four days to get back here. Well, that doesn't matter much anymore either. I haven't been able to read all the threads for years now. :lmao:

I want a five day post list. :angel:

Okay, nevermind.

Thanks 1yesfan. This "paint job" (as you described it once,) is mighty fine on this YesFans baby. I love this place. :hearts:

plodder
10-24-2006, 11:52 AM
It must be so difficult to scroll through 5 pages of thread titles. My, what busy lives you lead.

:)

Melissa
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Tough to say. For some, the games forum is where they normally post. This is likely to be true of the politics forum as well. I think it's a bit difficult to define "normal" here.

What my posi-twin said.

YESOLA
10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I think it's a bit difficult to define "normal" here.

haha no question!

Yes2Yes
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Games are a part of life.

Andrea YouAndI
10-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Games are a part of life.

I agree there, Mike! :beerchugr: In my college life I don't get to have any games, but I can come here and become part of the "State of Play" anytime I want! (I heard that song today, couldn't resist. ;))