PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Rep?

RickyG
05-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Maybe this has all been discussed before, so I apologize the potential redundancy.

I love rep for the giving and receiving of comments. I could care less about the numbers (well, now that I've joined the elite maxed out "beyond rep" level!!)

In fact I truly think the system is much better without the foolish numbers, they really don't serve the higher good in any of us.

But what confuses me is this "you must spread it around first" thing. I've tried to rep three people in the past two days. Couldn't rep any of them due to the mentioned message.

Well for one thing, I haven't even been around here in a full week, so no rep then. And I seriously doubt I repped any of these people in the past three weeks. One person I don't remember ever repping, though I probably did. So it's not time dependent.

So what is the nature of these restrictions??? Can we get rid of them?? Does anyone think these limitations on being able to acknowledge and give gratitude to others is a good idea?? Do these limitations serve the higher good of any of us??? I don't think so.

REFORM REP.... REFORM REP.... REFORM REP..... ;)

cinderella
05-28-2006, 12:58 PM
If you're say trying to give reputation to Mary Jo, you have to give reputation to about 15 other Yesfans before you can go back and give her reputation again.

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree about the number thing. Meaningless really IMO.
I use it to send a quick special thanks or if I deeply disagree with someone rather than cuss and throw a fit I 'good rep' them and state my case... :lol:

RickyG
05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
If you're say trying to give reputation to Mary Jo, you have to give reputation to about 15 other Yesfans before you can go back and give her reputation again.

Ok, so does anyone want to change this system?

I personally don't think trolling around to give out rep just so i can be free to give rep to who I want to is the greatest idea. And besides, I've never repped Mary Jo and don't have any plans too!! ;)

Sharp
05-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, so does anyone want to change this system?

I personally don't think trolling around to give out rep just so i can be free to give rep to who I want to is the greatest idea. And besides, I've never repped Mary Jo and don't have any plans too!! ;)

Well.. I think the intent was good in that it minimized the tendency of people to form small groups and just rep each other. With the point system gone though., it really is more of an impediment than anything. Not sure if that is soming that can be changed in the software though. Tim or Sheila would need to chime in here

allpurechance
05-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Getting - it - is fun

Giving - it - is funner

lmaoOOOOOOOOOOOooo(if you can't think of a word, justmakeoneup!)ooooO

Hate the restrictions, yeah.

Can't bring myself to ever use the negative option.If I feel negativity from a post, guess I'd just rather forget it, or if I am so stirred by the post, reply "out here" with whatever feelings or ... what's the word?...thoughts ...yeah thoughts, or more usually thought,singular ... that I can muster...

But, I DO love giving - it -

Amongst my favorite things to do here onsite amongst you all, and especially at those times when I've gone --- to use the Watership Down -ish toiminology --- "splah" (that state that flep was describing, where one sits in front of the machine, all Fred A' stare, largely unable to commit what one might think of as a useful response to anyone, everyone...I love that thread, flep!) ---is to just go on a "rep rampage"... until I cain't give no more : max the frickin' thing out...!!!...

Because there is so much good to be found onsite, from you all...about you all...

I cannot tell you how many times I have regretted NOT sending a thought or feeling back to someone...I decide that I am too feeble minded...and then read later...that someone was feeling, thinking exACTLY what I was thinking about sending them...

Less frequent is the reward for such silences.Discovering that the non-response was the proper route...

...that what I was considering sending was so useless or wide of the mark that being - splah - was a correct interior decision...for in the end...guess I'd rather be playing my usual deep leftfield, being the utter waste of bandwidth that I so most often feel, than sitting here adrool at the wondrous deep complexity or utter elegant simplicity of all of your thoughts and feelings, at your very -lives- what I'm tryin' ta say, here is (lmaoOOOOOOOOOOOo) ---it really is NOT a better thing to sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm the idiot that I really am than to open my mouth and remove all doubt.You are all well aware of the depths of that idiocy as you read these words.

What we are all not quite so well aware of is how our words can affect someone in a good way - better to take the risk! - it happens over and over again! - a day or so, a month, a year later! : "Yeahhhh!I remember thinking that, too!I remember feeling exactly THAT!!"...but I did not send, not only "that", but anything...

So when I'm sitting here feeling particularly acutely the depths of my foolishness, well it's time for the good ol' rep rampage...

Rep, well...it's nice, yeah.Numerologically speaking meaningless in any kind of final analysis.It is that thought or emotive reaction/interaction that has meaning.

There just isn't enough time in the day to type everything we feel from and to one another.I wish I could but I just can't sit here all day and all night typing back and forth to you all, much as I'd love to, much as I love you...

Have I gotten offtrack, again?Run afield?Off topic?Playing a deep left?

Well, yeah and no!lol...

Not being able to repeatedly rep someone is also both a good and a bad thing.The good is that you are almost by enforcement made to consider the words and posts of someone else, someone you might not have otherwise considered.Because we all have our friends, our little cotieries, people we know we love and cherish, whom we'd like to just g'ahead and rep over and over again.The bad, I think I've just described as well, lmaoOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo...

Come not to me for advice, I have been known to say, for I will say both yea and nay...

Nah.Rep is a good thing.It gives us all just another way of telling each other we love one another.

Speaking for myself, I love you guys.Just love you folks.I just do.

And, even when I don't, I do.I do!Know what I mean?:lmao:- I think you do, I think you do, least some of you...

So, yeah I like getting - it -!!!But, I love, I adore giving - it -...

JaneEyre
05-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Be quiet there, Mr. Perpetually On Top Of The Rep Heap!

allpurechance
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Be quiet there, Mr. Perpetually On Top Of The Rep Heap!

.................lmaoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo oooooo.........

(Jane.The correct response is, "Shutup, Frank."
Thanks.)

:frankie:

cinderella
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I personally don't think trolling around to give out rep just so i can be free to give rep to who I want to is the greatest idea.

No but unfortunately that's the game that's played. Rep points can be used for good, but also evil. I like it the way it is now. Stuck for eternity. ;)

JaneEyre
05-28-2006, 04:19 PM
.................lmaoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo oooooo.........

(Jane.The correct response is, "Shutup, Frank."
Thanks.)

:frankie:

Don't ever shut up, Frank.

BrianD
05-28-2006, 05:02 PM
The software package limits the number of times you can give rep in a 24 hour period as well as the number of different members that you need to give rep to before giving it to the same person again.

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 05:23 PM
The software package limits the number of times you can give rep in a 24 hour period as well as the number of different members that you need to give rep to before giving it to the same person again.
Yup, I just discovered that...

the number happens to be limited to 10 reps in 24 hours

Sheerah
05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I really don't see the rep thing changing.

Sharp
05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
I think we should give each other negative rep.... really it is just a word and all our dots will eventually go to red or black or whatever it is... essentially we reverse polarity... negative is positive and positive is negative.... :winknudge

RickyG
05-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Ok, 10 reps max in 24 hours, no problem there. But exactly how many people does one need to rep before one can give rep to the same person again?
That is my question.

And if we're maxing out the point system, which some of us see no value in anyway, do we really need this "spread it around first" restriction?

I guess I just feel, as the conscious adults that we are, that I don't see how this serves anything. I've been repeatedly prevented from giving people rep. Sure, a couple of the times it was probably a bit frivolous, but other times it was some really heartfelt thanks and acknowledgement I wanted to give.

I guess it depends on what one considers to be the purpose of rep. Or whether there's any administrative desire to grow and adapt the system.

So of course I have and utilize the alternative of PM'ing my gratitude to the person in question.....

I don't wish to be a trouble maker here, stirring up the controversy and challenge of "change".

Maybe this is where Frank is supposed to say "shut up Rich"!! ;)

Yes2Yes
05-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Points are meaningless. I'd rather be able to give rep than get points.

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I really don't see the rep thing changing.
see how many people you can rep before you get told "stop that!"

Oh wait... that might not pertain to you shera... you schmadmin!

Sharp
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Points are meaningless. I'd rather be able to give rep than get points.

That is essentially my point...... it is all a game... maybe we could have negative and positive rep clubs.. each one trying to get more of one than the other.. and they could have battles... the positives giving negatives positive rep and the negatives doing the reverse to get them into their camp... the point is.. it is all really silly and not something to get worked up about....

What Ricky really wants is a way to make a private comment on a particular post.. if there is away to do that and avoid the rep aspect.. I am all for it.

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
ok
here's a concept....
let's rep everyone to the point that everyone is maxed; then neg rep mean will mean something...

I think we should give each other negative rep.... really it is just a word and all our dots will eventually go to red or black or whatever it is... essentially we reverse polarity... negative is positive and positive is negative.... :winknudge

Exactly, if you are maxed out then reverse the polarity... neg rep subtracts points, right?

that way if you got to 0 again that would be 4 billion points!

Sharp
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
ok
here's a concept....
let's rep everyone to the point that everyone is maxed; then neg rep mean will mean somethingsomething...

if you are maxed out then reverse the polarity... neg rep subtracts points, right?

that way if you got to 0 again that would be 4 billion points!

Actually.. I think negative rep also goes in the opposite direction... so you could theoreticall have - 2093796516 points

Sharp
05-28-2006, 08:32 PM
LOL I just got my first negative rep ever.... :lmao: .... and... I got to spread it around before you get any back.... :dog:

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Roflmao

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 08:46 PM
I am at 1943495334 points total

almost there
!

RickyG
05-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey, I've already received a couple of reps for my starting this rep thread!! Too bad I'm already maxed out in points... so the reps are meaningless to me!! :mad: ;)

And I am learning the Art of the Rep Troll.... but be careful what you ask for...

(Still wundrin' how many I need to rep before being allowed to re-rep? Is it 10??)

Sharp
05-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey, I've already received a couple of reps for my starting this rep thread!! Too bad I'm already maxed out in points... so the reps are meaningless to me!! :mad: ;)

And I am learning the Art of the Rep Troll.... but be careful what you ask for...

(Still wundrin' how many I need to rep before being allowed to re-rep? Is it 10??)

Maxed out... heh..heh.. we will see about that ... :winknudge

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
ooops maxed out... neg reps only are allowed~!

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 09:52 PM

i'll hit you with some neg rep as soon as it will let me just to see if your points go down

MrZuLu
05-28-2006, 10:05 PM
if it says you are maxed for 24 hours then tomorrow you can rep everyone again
upto 10
then ure cut off buddy~!

Albedo
05-29-2006, 12:10 AM
I agree, I don't like being unable to rep someone until I have "spread it around". I'm not online a lot, I don't read huge numbers of threads and it is an impediment.

Silent_wings
05-29-2006, 02:42 AM
What Ricky really wants is a way to make a private comment on a particular post.. if there is away to do that and avoid the rep aspect.. I am all for it.
That would be a PM :D

Sharp
05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
That would be a PM :D

ah but you loose the immediacy of it.. got to go open the pm box, quote the post etc etc. Then clean your pm box more cause of the comments. That very immediacy of the rep comment is why I think people find it so appealing to use. :D..or.. maybe I am just lazy ... :lmao:

RickyG
05-29-2006, 10:45 AM
ah but you loose the immediacy of it.. got to go open the pm box, quote the post etc etc. Then clean your pm box more cause of the comments. That very immediacy of the rep comment is why I think people find it so appealing to use. :D..or.. maybe I am just lazy ... :lmao:

I agree. And then when you check your rep comments, they are all there, simply and easily lined up for quick viewing. It goes beyond laziness...

(By the way Mr. Zulu, no need to neg rep me just to find out if the numbers go down!! I think Sharp can already inform us on that one!! :winknudge )

Sharp
05-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I agree. And then when you check your rep comments, they are all there, simply and easily lined up for quick viewing. It goes beyond laziness...

(By the way Mr. Zulu, no need to neg rep me just to find out if the numbers go down!! I think Sharp can already inform us on that one!! :winknudge )

Yep... been on a roller coaster lately... I get up ... I get down :winknudge

smatt
05-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Yep... been on a roller coaster lately... I get up ... I get down :winknudge

Roland, this isn't the place for discussion on your bedroom life :lmao:

Sharp
05-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Roland, this isn't the place for discussion on your bedroom life :lmao:

It's alll rep... isn't it??? :lmao:

cinderella
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
LOL I just got my first negative rep ever.... :lmao: .... and... I got to spread it around before you get any back.

Just don't write any love poems.
I've gotten 2 negative ones from doing that. :winknudge

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/poetsmiley.gif

RickyG
06-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I still don't know how many people I need to "spread the rep around to" before I can return to someone.

Can someone please tell me??

I just tried to rep someone whom I haven't repped in weeks and I still haven't reached my requirements....

Can't we change this??
At least reduce the size of this restrictive requirement?

InverYes
06-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I still don't know how many people I need to "spread the rep around to" before I can return to someone.

Can someone please tell me??

I just tried to rep someone whom I haven't repped in weeks and I still haven't reached my requirements....

Can't we change this??
At least reduce the size of this restrictive requirement?

Don't worry about it. Relax!

RickyG
06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Don't worry about it. Relax!

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment?

I am not uptight or worried about it, nothing to relax.

I'd just like to know the number of people I need to rep before I can re-rep someone. And I've asked before and not gotten an answer. Seems like it must be just a simple little numerical fact that someone has an answer to.

It's simply a system that I am finding to be highly restrictive. A system supposedly for easily and directly acknowledging and giving appreciation to others, that isn't allowing me to do so.

The ONLY thing I care about with Rep is the ability to give appreciation to others when they write something that moves me. As it is I am repeatedly being denied this ability.

Ok, so that's the way it is. But must there be such mystery around the number? ;)

Simple as that. Others agree with me.
(And I've received rep in support of my stated view!!!)

Sheerah
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I'd just like to know the number of people I need to rep before I can re-rep someone. And I've asked before and not gotten an answer. Seems like it must be just a simple little numerical fact that someone has an answer to.

I just looked in the Admin area to find an answer for you. I cannot find the answer. I seem to remember thinking that I read somewhere that you have to rep 15 people before you can rep the same person again. Then again, I don't think you can give more than X number of reps a day, but I don't know what that number is either, and I don't know how to find it. And of course, if I can't find it, I can't change it.

RickyG
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I just looked in the Admin area to find an answer for you. I cannot find the answer. I seem to remember thinking that I read somewhere that you have to rep 15 people before you can rep the same person again. Then again, I don't think you can give more than X number of reps a day, but I don't know what that number is either, and I don't know how to find it. And of course, if I can't find it, I can't change it.

Thank you Sheila!

But it must be hidden in there somewhere... maybe another Admin knows where to find it.

If it is 15, that is an awful lot, and would explain why it's taking me so long to be able to re-rep some people. I'd personally make it 5 if we had to have a number.

I don't mind handing out some extra rep.... but I do mind having to rep when I am not feeling it, just so I can get through the numbers.

Thank you again for looking.

BrianD
06-04-2006, 06:36 PM
It is around 15 per day - it could be changed and it is easily done. There are opposing views on this - some argue that the numbers should be increased. So at present there doesn't seem to me to be sufficient reason to change it.

Sharp
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
You know.. if possible one solution would be to allow one to rep whom ever they want but if they haven't met the 15 quota.. no points would be added but the comment would still be there. I think that might address this.. the points don't seem to be the issue.. the comments are.

RickyG
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
It is around 15 per day - it could be changed and it is easily done. There are opposing views on this - some argue that the numbers should be increased. So at present there doesn't seem to me to be sufficient reason to change it.

Hi Brian,

Thanks. I guess rep operates on two levels: the accumulation of points game, and the acknowledgement/appreciation thing.

As far as the acknowledge/appreciation system is concerned I know it would make sense to me and at least some others to either eliminate or at least greatly reduce the "15 spreading it around" number. I'd go for something between 0 and 5 with that.

On the other hand there's the point game. As you know I could care less about the points and wouldn't mind if they disappeared altogether.

So personally I see plently of sufficient reason to reduce or eliminate the "spread it around" requirement. I'd prefer to operate on the "we're all adults and we should decide for ourselves" model of who we want to recognize in any given moment.

And I don't see how changing this number would have any major affect on the Points Game. If anyone really wants to "stack" the game and enter into some rep me/rep you exchange... well then fine, let them.

It just seems like if we take off the restrictions we'd allow both camps to have their preferences. Everybody wins. The Point Players could play, and the Appreciators could Appreciate!! Yes??

You know, deregulation... very Republican.... ;)
Freedom of choice... very Liberal....

PS - I posted this before seeing your reply, Sharp. Your idea is another workable solution....

Silent_wings
06-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Spreading rep around is a good thing. I don't think the number should change. If you really liked someones post and can't rep them again send them a PM. It more personal that way.

Sheerah
06-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I can't believe anyone cares this much.

Altres
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I'd rep you for that but I've got to spread it about a bit more. :)
Brian

Scottie
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I seem to run into that quite often as well :D

Sheerah
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I'd rep you for that but I've got to spread it about a bit more. :)
Brian

Someone ought to do something about that! ;)

RickyG
06-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Hi Sheila,

For me it's just a matter of having this particular device (rep) that makes for a very quick and easy way to give acknowledgement and appreciation to others, YET it repeatedly proves itself to be tedious and worthless because of what seems to me to be an arbitrary and entirely worthless restriction.

It's like the convenience, self-serve checkout line, but it usually has a chain across it...

"quick and easy" are the key words. Yes, I PM others all the time when rep doesn't work, or when I have more to say. But it's a more time consuming process.

I've only seen one or two people say that they actually like the restrictions.

There, I've said my bit, case closed.
Let the powers rule....

BrianD
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks. I guess rep operates on two levels: the accumulation of points game, and the acknowledgement/appreciation thing.

As far as the acknowledge/appreciation system is concerned I know it would make sense to me and at least some others to either eliminate or at least greatly reduce the "15 spreading it around" number. I'd go for something between 0 and 5 with that.

On the other hand there's the point game. As you know I could care less about the points and wouldn't mind if they disappeared altogether.

So personally I see plently of sufficient reason to reduce or eliminate the "spread it around" requirement. I'd prefer to operate on the "we're all adults and we should decide for ourselves" model of who we want to recognize in any given moment.

And I don't see how changing this number would have any major affect on the Points Game. If anyone really wants to "stack" the game and enter into some rep me/rep you exchange... well then fine, let them.

It just seems like if we take off the restrictions we'd allow both camps to have their preferences. Everybody wins. The Point Players could play, and the Appreciators could Appreciate!! Yes??

You know, deregulation... very Republican.... ;)
Freedom of choice... very Liberal....

PS - I posted this before seeing your reply, Sharp. Your idea is another workable solution....

I have always thought that the unregulated User Notes allow you to do what you are requesting.

Albedo
06-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I have always thought that the unregulated User Notes allow you to do what you are requesting.
OK, it took me about 8 months to learn about rep. Now can someone explain what User Notes are??

Sheerah
06-06-2006, 01:10 AM
OK, it took me about 8 months to learn about rep. Now can someone explain what User Notes are??

Go to the index page (the front page) of the website.
Click on your name, it will take you to your profile.
From there, you will see a hyperlink that says View User Notes.
Click on that, and you will see if anyone has left you any user notes.

Albedo
06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Go to the index page (the front page) of the website.
Click on your name, it will take you to your profile.
From there, you will see a hyperlink that says View User Notes.
Click on that, and you will see if anyone has left you any user notes.
OK, I found it. I feel almost as much of an idiot as I did when I found out about rep.

So now, how do I send one?