PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion to reactivate old threads

Flo
05-24-2002, 11:32 AM
I just thought that every day an old thread could be highlighted on the site. It could be either picked up at random or by one our moderators . It would say "thread of the day" or something of the sort. This way newcomers could catch up with some old themes which are still of interest.

Rogo
05-28-2002, 04:20 AM
Two hot tips for the historically inclined...

1. To get the BIG picture, what everyone should do is go to:

My Yesfans>Edit Options>Default Thread View

and set that option to "Show all threads". That way you will always be able to access everything that's happened since day 1! The entire history of Yesfans will be at your God-like fingertips!!!

2. Anyone can resuscitate an old thread. You just tack on a post at the end, and suddenly you've kicked it to the top of the list!

Flo
05-28-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Rogo

Anyone can resuscitate an old thread. You just tack on a post at the end, and suddenly you've kicked it to the top of the list!

Rogo, what do you mean by "tack on a post" ? (I've got a problem of vocabulary here, and have no dictionnary at hand)

And does anybody think "the thread of the day" is a good idea ?

Rogo
05-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Flo
Rogo, what do you mean by "tack on a post"

I mean that you just add a new post, to bring the thread "up to date". As if by magic, a long dead thread comes alive! ;)

I think it's a good idea to draw attention to the older threads, never mind how we do it. There are so many thoughtful and enduring things that have been said on this forum, it's a shame if the new users miss out on it...

Flo
05-28-2002, 09:22 AM
But what if I don't have anything interesting to say. I was thinking of what you suggest but I don't want to be posting just for the sake of posting.

1yesfan
05-28-2002, 06:37 PM
What you suggest is good, but would be hard for us to keep up on. I don't have the time to keep up with things I have to do now as it is. ;)
I can try to go in from time to time and make a post on a OLD thread that is not showing to bring it back up to current status. But I can't promise that will happen much.
Like it was suggested here, change the setings in your profile, or go into a forum and in there you can set that time frame back to day one of the site, or 60 days ago, and that will show them for that forum for that one time. If you back out and come back in it will go back to the default, I believe.