PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys use Skype?

Full Tilt Boogie
07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned on the site before, I just couldn't find it after a search.

I'm guessing a number of you use this already, and it's a great way for Yesfans to talk to each other, no matter where they might be in the world - and both it, the software, and your calls are then FREE!!

http://www.skype.com/

Download it - you'll need broadband, and either a head-set or a microphone and speakers on your PC.

Happy chatting guys.

Homeworld
07-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah I use skype.

And Depending on where abouts you live in manchester I probably live near you as well.

Homeworld
07-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I live in Bury....o btw I cant send PMs u need to delete an existing Pm

Vulpes Namekaw
07-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I have it, but I don't use it very often. If you do want to contact me, my name is kobi_lacroix.

Yes_Fan_4_Life26
07-19-2005, 08:50 PM
I use it, I just downloaded it. My name is yesfans26. so yah

BYE

Timmo
07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
I have nationwide free long distance and roaming on my cell plan, so I don't need it for people in the US.

If I needed to talk to someone internationally, I'd definitely use this program, as cell phone rates on international calls are ridiculous, even if you're the RECEIVING call.

Chris and Scotty called once from London to sMatt at a Liquor Locust gathering, and after passing the phone around, when the bill came the call was several hundred dollars.

pakananda
07-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Skype is really cool. Best quality of any broadband internet telephone (that I've used anyway.) I take frequent trips to Asia and it really saves me a bundle! That's using the internet to telephone function - which can be a little sketchy sometimes, quality wise, depending on the connection. But it's also great for internet to internet and has a really clear sound - this function is totally free!

wolfhound
07-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow. Thanks. I've never heard of it before and I don't know anyone who uses it yet. I just enjoy new technology and this sounds like fun. Having a face best suited for radio, this internet audio software sounds custom made for me.

neilius
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Anyone else use this? ive just set up an account. My contact name is neilmason73

plodder
03-02-2007, 04:10 AM
I use it. pl0dder is my ID.

Imperatrix
03-02-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm supposed to get Skype, or Plod will knock me in the head. :winknudge

neilius
03-02-2007, 04:22 AM
Ive just said hello to you plodder!

plodder
03-02-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm in work so I won't see it until I get home.

neilius
03-02-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm in work so I won't see it until I get home.

Ah, ok.

plodder
03-02-2007, 04:29 AM
Ah, ok.

I'll reply as soon as I get in though. Thanks for adding me. We should (maybe in wakey chat) arrange a time and all get on and have a blast. Hearing everyone's accents is brilliant fun.

Mc-Merc
03-02-2007, 04:36 AM
I use it too! Good one! I'm Mc-Merc...

Imperatrix
03-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Hahaha! All you cross the ponders would never understand my accent and the way I express myself. Here...at its worst, it's like Marisa Tomei's, but just a bit deeper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iK5LDQWwM

(warning! Italian chick curses!)

Scooty
03-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Yup, I am on there..I have only used it to talk to Scotty and Chris...it's a lot of fun and F R E E ....

Scooty71...that's me.

Melissa
03-13-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm on it, but I don't want to post my name on the net. PM me if you want to trade Skype user IDs.

Scottie
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I have nationwide free long distance and roaming on my cell plan, so I don't need it for people in the US.

If I needed to talk to someone internationally, I'd definitely use this program, as cell phone rates on international calls are ridiculous, even if you're the RECEIVING call.

Chris and Scotty called once from London to sMatt at a Liquor Locust gathering, and after passing the phone around, when the bill came the call was several hundred dollars.
:Wow:

:yikes:

wolfhound
03-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I use Skype. I don't have a camera yet. I've just been using a mike.

virginiaprograsser
03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I've tried to use it a few times over the past 2 years. I always get good reception but my own transmission is garbled. I use a high quality headset mike and have high-speed satellite.

I may try it again this weekend. Anybody try JaJah as an alternative to Skype? I haven't tried it yet. It is another VOIP service I do believe.

:headset: Steve

Steve Sikes-Nova
the virginiaprograsser

On The Web since 2002, 'Newgrass, Prog & More!' WWWeb Radio streams the best in cross-genre progressive music from around the world right to your computer! Almost 2,000 fans worldwide enjoy NP&M!'s innovative and unique mix of progressive bluegrass, progressive rock, acoustic, alternative, classic rock, psych folk, jazz, and blues. On top of all that, NP&M! has interviews with the legends that make the music happen. 2006 interviews included Sam Bush, Dr. Pete Wernick, John Cowan, Darrell Scott, Jamie Hartford, railroad earth, Tommy Emmanuel, Ian Anderson, Chris Squire, Carl Palmer, John Hawken, Doane Perry, Les Holroyd, and many, many others.

Full Tilt Boogie
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
So, how did we do guys? It's been two years since I introduced this you the site.

Hope it's working fro you all - friends should be able to talk for FREE!! :)

PS: Actually Admin - where you make space for MSN, Yahoo and all those other IM technologies, you really need to make a space in our profiles for Skype - it does SOOOOO much more than the others combined!

Melissa
09-13-2007, 07:09 AM
I use Skype. I don't have a camera yet. I've just been using a mike.

I love Skype! I have no plans to get a camera - ever LOL

I bought Skypeout on sale for $14.99. One year of unlimited calling, landlines and cells, US and Canada. Woooo hoooo! What a deal!

Original_Shifty
05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
I've been wondering about this since we got our new camera, but we've only done it with MSN Messenger with LFB's mom in Montreal.

Squire*Fan725
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I've had Skype for a while, but sadly my puter sux when it comes to webcams, so I had to uninstall it, not to mention I accidentally pulled my mic too hard, and the wire broke, so all I can do is chat, now...Oh well...Shame too, cos I had a ripping good mic chat with Scotty one night, with my sis in the room, chiming in...What great fun it was!!

I gotta get another mic...

taximan
06-09-2008, 06:47 AM
I have recently installed Skype,I have had one 10 minute chat with FTB.
I usually am on my computer around 23.00 hours GMT if any one wants to PM me I will let them have my ID.It would be cool to talk with some of you.

InverYes
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
So are there any advantages in using Skype rather than MSN ?

My kids use MSN for video calls and it's free too.

Full Tilt Boogie
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
So are there any advantages in using Skype rather than MSN ?

My kids use MSN for video calls and it's free too.

Apart from the ton of user-friendly features on Skype, your voice calls are encrypted - unlike certain other products. And it constantly works on its codec's to try and ensure toll-quality voice too.

It's also a peer-to-peer package, has file-transfer capabilities, so you can send documents in real time, Instant Message (IM) etc. You can also use ANY email address you want for you profile - I'm not sure if Yahoo, Hotmail or MSN allow that, I think, if memory serves, that you have to have one of their email addresses.

Hope that helps mate :D

InverYes
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds good.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Simon B
06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I got it, but my dongle isn't good enough for it to work!

[never thought I'd be typing that sentence]

yesanneyes
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I've got SKYPE - I love it. I talk to my best girlfriend in Lisbon for free (computer to computer)! I can talk to my parents-in-law in Russia for very little (computer to phone) We spent a fortune before SKYPE. I got a camera built into my computer, but I don't plan on using it!

neilius
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Bump