PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Article

flyweil2
04-19-2002, 09:20 PM
I was reading the issue of People magazine April 1,2002, and came across an article titled "Rock of Ages" Is the Hall of Fame running out of suitable candidates? page 10. In the article it States "Perhaps but with iconic bands like the Beatles, Rolling
Stones and Led Zeppelin already coronated, who's left?" Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers stated "This may be the last year that this feels like a big event. I don't know who's next." (He forgets that Steve Howe paid tribute to his father whith his Bob Dylan collection of songs.) "Not to worry says Michael Devlin, spokesman for Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, "In the next few years artists like Prince, U2 and the clash become eligible. On the side of the article they have a picture of Whitesnake and it states "Few vets are left. Good news for Whitesnake (In 1987)?"

I sent a reply to: scoop@people.com about this but can we do something more.

Give love each day, Cheryl

YesNY
04-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Wake me up when they get around to U2. Otherwise this event is going to turn into a big snoozefest while it goes about skipping so many of the great Seventies classic and progressive acts. Just look at this last slate of inductees for proof:

Tom Petty - You gotta figure he was in the "right clique" and he got in for that reason. I'll give him credit for hummable (if not interesting) tunes--but that voice? Oy-vey!

Talking Heads - The band that is always held on a pedestal in articles about "Art Rock", while they trash Yes. Clearly a Rolling Stone magazine dictated selection.

Issac Hayes - Even the producers of the RRHOF ceremony played only his lone essential song, the Shaft theme, during his portion of the RRHOF show, having found no other tunes worthy of attention. Talk about sailing in on one record. If only Chariots of Fire had posessed a bigger beat, I suspect we would be talking about Vangelis as a lock for a future induction.

The Ramones - The RRHOF having a soft spot for brother acts is the only explanation I could come up with. If only the idiots at the RRHOF knew the real story here, then this slot could have gone to another act they would feel deserving of this honor, such as...

Paul Schaefer. You just know this annoying, minimally talented camera-glutton is on the fast track for some tribute, if nothing else, for his knack at toturing the viewers of the RRHOF ceremony, year after year after year.

The truth is this RRHOF is headed for virtual obsolesence, if it thinks it go about things ignoring Seventies vintage classic and progressive acts. It is now on the fast track to becoming one big boring joke.

Joedude
04-22-2002, 12:45 AM
I can't think of another HOF that has its ceremony in another city than where the actual building is. If the RRHOF sincerely wanted Cleveland as its home, they should hold the ceremony there instead of NYC.

flyweil2
04-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Location, Location. Location!

Saw an older article about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and thought it was interesting.

Ozzy Says "No Thanks" to Hall of Fame

Osbourne wants Sabbath removed from Hall of Fame's list of nominees October 5, 1999

Cleveland, OH -- Most rockers would be honored to be nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but Ozzy Osbourne isn't most rockers. He has attempted to take Black Sabbath's name off the Hall of Fame's 1999 nomination list, deeming the institution's nod "meaningless." On Oct. 4, the singer fired off a letter to the Hall of Fame, saying: "Just take our name off the list. Save the ink. Forget about us. The nomination is meaningless, because it's not voted on by the fans. It's voted on by the supposed elite for the industry and the Media, who've never bought an album or concert ticket in their lives, so their vote is irrelevant to me." He says, "Let's face it, Black Sabbath has never been media darlings. We're a people's band and that suits us just fine." But according to a source at the Hall of Fame Foundation, Oz can't be taken off the nomination list. The best the old bat-biter can do is to refuse the nomination if Black Sabbath are voted into the Hall of Fame this year. "He can pull a George C. Scott, if he wants to [referring to the 1970 incident when Scott refused the best actor award for his performance in Patton], but he can't take his name off the list." Suzan Evans, spokesperson for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, had no comment, but explained that they hadn't even issued a list of nominees, or a press release. "This stuff gets out because it's the writers that vote, and they publish the names." Black Sabbath are on a list with fifteen other stars including Eric Clapton, Lovin' Spoonful, Richie Valens and Queen. The inductees will be announced in November and ushered into the Hall of
Fame in January. Black Sabbath have been eligible for induction for the past three years. But the band has yet to receive enough votes to be inducted into the Hall, despite the fact that their catalog still sells very well and that they were able to generate renewed interest last year when they mounted the first Ozzfest reunion tour. This year's Ozzfest, meanwhile, has included more than sixty shows, and will wrap up with two shows in their hometown of Birmingham, England, on Dec. 21 and 22.

Written by JAAN UHELSZKI for RollingStone.com News