PDA

View Full Version : Less Forums?

illusion
05-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I find Yesfans very difficult to navigate.

I'm curious if anyone thinks that there should be less forums? There must be 100+ at the moment, and most sites last with 15ish max.

PO
05-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Use the 3 Days posts (http://www.yesfans.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=3) shortcut. It fills you in on the latest posts and gives you a direct link to forums that have been accessed.

Roan's Lady
05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Use the 3 Days posts (http://www.yesfans.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=3) shortcut. It fills you in on the latest posts and gives you a direct link to forums that have been accessed.

I do the same, and I also hit "New Posts". I can't imagine doing it any other way - it would take forever, and there'd be quite a bit of revisiting places I've already been.

illusion
05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
True, but often I'm away for longer than 3 days.

And there are some forums that fill the same purpose.

yesyadda
05-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I almost always do the 3 day browse, and thank goodness we have that!
Yes there are a bazillion threads. You may also try the "forum jump" feature at the bottom of the page. This will show the threads within a forum, no matter how old (not sure how far back they go, though). Hey- isn't the plurar of forum, forae?

True Believer
05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
The 3 day browse is the way I go, sometimes just New Posts if I'm in and out all day.

smatt
05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Ahh, ya i kind of see what illusion is talking about. Sometimes I'm here alot sometimes not. But I think things are fine.

pianozach
05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Yep.

And there are many many many ways to navigate around. I, too, often use the "New Posts" and "Three Days Posts" buttons (although I still can't get the "3 Days Posts" button use Explorer on my Mac)

I'll also simply click on my name, then on the "find all posts by Pianozach" link. I can follow up easily on all the threads that I've posted on . . . maybe someone has answered one of my messages, maybe not.

Also, on the home page, one can simply access the larger category divisions - for instance, I'll go to "Yestown" for off-topic stuff. There are many choices. Let's say I go to "General Off-Topic" (only 1,598 threads in this category! That's eighty-five pages to choose from!). And then on to Jokes or whatever.

There are some very interesting inactive threads.

cinderella
05-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I never use the new posts, only the 3 days one.

I'm always digging in the Archives too.

1yesfan
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
I could change the 3 days posts to 4, 5 6, 25, what ever you want. As for ALL the forums. What one person may not want there will be another that does want it.

illusion
05-12-2005, 09:24 AM
A week would be a good idea.

altaeria
05-12-2005, 09:38 AM
The only time I run into some confusion with the various forums is when:

(1) I post a new topic but can't decide where it specifically belongs
or
(2) I'm looking for a specific topic but can't figure out exactly where to look.

I think that this may be the reason why you see multiple threads being started about similar topics. The original one may be difficult to locate once it's out of the "Newer Posts" loop.

Maybe the various forums just need more distinguishable "titles" ?

Sheerah
05-12-2005, 01:58 PM
I've just learned my way around.
There is a logical hieracrchy to the forum structure.

Earl Grey
05-12-2005, 02:03 PM

That's what I do.

15 forums wouldn't be enough for such an eclectic group of people as Yesfans...

urlie:yesbird:

Flo
05-13-2005, 07:06 AM
I can understand what you mean Illusion. When you are away from the site for more than 3 days, it becomes a problem to browse all the pages. I always use the New Posts button and try to visit the site daily otherwise I don't know where to go.

umgekehrt
05-13-2005, 07:38 AM
I think the forums should be reorganized this way:

1. Yes
2. Other Music
3. Off-Topic
4. YesFans.com

1. Yes
consists of:
1a. Yes Albums
1b. Yes Members (Past & Present, including Roger Dean)
1c. Yes Tour
1d. Yes DVDs and Appearances in Media (TV, Film, Printed Media)
1e. Yes General Discussion

2. Other Music
consists of
2a. Other Bands
2b. Classical Music
2c. Music General Discussion

3. Off-Topic
consists of
3a. Happy Birthday To You
3b. Movies and TV
3c. Games
3d. Politics
3e. Books
3f. Sports
3g. Member Music/Poetry/Art
3h. Jokes and Funny Stories
3i. Off-Topic General Discussion

4. YesFans.com
consists of
4a. YesFans Introductions & Welcomes
4b. YesFans Annual Get Togethers
4c. YesFans Chapters
4d. YesFans Contests/Raffles
4e. YesFans CD talk
4f. YesFans Shoppe & Donation Forum
4g. YesFans Ideas/Questions/Suggestions
4h. YesFans Test Forum

There is no need for a separate polling forum.

1yesfan
05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
UMG that is a good lay out. BUT the time and effort it would take me to move it all around would be a ton.

umgekehrt
05-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I know Tim, and it's alright. It's just a suggestion anyway :)