PDA

View Full Version : Yesfans Suggestion Box: Ideas, Thoughts, Concerns?

1yesfan
02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey all. Many of you have been around for some time. You have seen it all here. This thread is for you to suggest changes that could help the site. Anything goes here. I can't promise everything will get acted on but you never know.
Perhaps you think we need another forum, current site functions that could be improved. Anything you can think of feel free to put it here.

Silent_wings
02-27-2005, 11:10 AM
I can't think of anything but it's nice that you asked. :D

Emily Poppe
02-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Everything seems good Tim, IMO - and the site looks great! THANKS!

1yesfan
02-27-2005, 01:11 PM
NP. Thank you for being part of the site.

JJGeers
02-28-2005, 05:33 PM
As for me, I think you've pulled nearly 100 % ou tof it. Sometimes there's a squeek or a bumm or noise somewhere, but in general terms I think this train is just riding his track smoothly!

Love,

Jasper

soulsearcher
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
i'm pretty friggin happy myself LOl!

1yesfan
03-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Valid questions and concerns brought up with the STAFF there. If you have any issues SHARP please direct them to me in PM or email.

junomon
03-04-2005, 05:55 AM
Tim, hope you get my PM about new Forum idea re: posting tablature. The other site I posted to was "Yes fans play instruments" (over 1,000 views). Please, let me know what you think.

Ken-man

justyes
03-10-2005, 03:36 AM
I have a suggestion that Countries and state flags should be visible in the members list.

Hill St.
04-02-2005, 05:08 AM
If it's not broke.....

SCHSYesfan
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
I think someone should start a sub-forumn in the Related Bands Yesfans Follow section about Boston. I would really appreciate it.

pixiedave
05-16-2005, 03:56 AM
A photo gallery like coppermine, you can bridge user database from forum to gallery automatically logging them in.

yesyadda
05-16-2005, 06:43 AM
The search tool is dandy, but I mostly use it to look for thread titles. Is there a way to make the search tool look first in the thread title, then in the body of a post and list the results in that order?

fish62858
07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
its a little thing, but its happened to me twice just this week... browsing through threads, i get a PM, i pop over to that section to check, maybe write a response, maybe clear out some oldies, and then want to go back to where i was previously, but have to go back to main entrance and retrace steps to the thread i was at... maybe going into profile/PM section could open in a new window so when one is done, one can close that out and the other window is still where you were before. just a thought.
OTHERWISE, YESFANS IS PERFECT!!! :-)

Sheerah
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Fish, in your "options" you have a choice of opening up a PM in a new window. Make sure that box is checked. That will make your life easier.

soulsearcher
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
things are pretty good.
there was a time when i was being kicked off regularly, but not lately at all.
thing have been smooth!

True Believer
07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
No problems, it's all good.

SCHSYesfan
08-18-2005, 09:38 PM
You should let the avatar picture be more than 125x125 pixels.

1yesfan
08-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Buy a upgraded membership and you will get a bigger avatar size.

YES indeed-ily
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm happy I came across this Yes board, 'cuz it has pretty much everything I could ask for and then some. I wish I could make it over here more often, unfortunately my browser moves at a snail's pace on the site....I can't "stick and move" like I can on other boards, so I gotta visit whenever I have enough available time to settle in & read more than just 4 or 5 threads. Yes, I realize that's my problem & not yours, however it sorta leads to my question: is it necessary for so many sub-forums? For example, instead of one single forum for all of Yes' albums, each individual album has its own forum....I can't help but think that there's probably many valid, interesting posts that I'll never see, only because I just don't have enough time to scroll through every single sub-forum. Plus, if all the albums were on one forum, some posts might get some deserved extra attention & possibly even open a discussion that otherwise might've been (relatively) ignored. That's just one example, but I sorta feel the same way about the other forums, too.....I dunno, I feel like some posts are destined never to get full recognition & as a result might get lost in the shuffle....

I'm probably in the minority, but I figured I'd weigh in anyway. Regardless, this is the best Yes site out there.....thanks for giving us such a great place to visit!

1yesfan
03-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Sad to say that you are in the minority. There are others that feel as you do but at this point the site has taken hold in so many ways that it would be a lot of work to move stuff around, move threads to new forums.
Why is your PC slow? Connection speed issues?

YES indeed-ily
03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
probably a connection issue. I can't scroll at all until everything is 100% loaded....banner ads, avatars, whatever. Problem is, it takes quite awhile for everything to load, although some days are better than others. But like I said, I know it's my problem.....when I get the resources to upgrade to the 21st century, believe me I will post haste!

I figured I was in the minority....after all, the site's been doing just fine with or without me...lol Thanks for the quick reply.....

1yesfan
03-12-2006, 10:31 AM
There are some settings in your USER CP (profile) that yyou can set to turn off the loading of sigs, avatars ad the like.

1yesfan
03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Thread Display Options
Visible Post ElementsYou have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images

Mostly Harmless
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I really like being able to view who's on line, but maybe it would be prudent to get rid of the page that shows what threads, etc are being viewed by the on line members. It's really no one else's business what we're looking at or who we are PMing etc. Just a thought.....

Mostly Harmless
04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Any thoughts on my suggestion above? Just wondering.....

1yesfan
04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Other then a few of the upgrade accounts and for the staff, the WHO ID ONLINE feature is pretty much shut off to seeing much info as it could be.

Mostly Harmless
04-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tim.

YYY
05-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Visually the new site design is cool BUT the blue color value is too over powering. it's hard to see certain text at a quick glance, I think. i don't think it's simpy a matter of just getting used to it.

InverYes
05-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Visually the new site design is cool BUT the blue color value is too over powering. it's hard to see certain text at a quick glance, I think. i don't think it's simpy a matter of just getting used to it.

What style are you using ?

cinderella
07-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I was going to change my signature but I see it only allows 1 image code now. Is that temporary or is it going to remain that way?

Artemis
10-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Just a quick note to say I LOVE the redesign!

plodder
10-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Could the date the thread was created be given along with the thread's name? It's happened a few times lately where I've gone to vote in a poll, only to find out the subject matter is 2/3 years old.

umgekehrt
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
There is a chat room in vBulletin that is integrated on the main page. It would make it easier for people who want to chat.

Fragyface
12-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Look First time ive got INTERNET i write in GOOGLE : yes and here it is.Thank you for doing extremely good.I think this forum is the best ive ever seen.I SAY Bravo for pagemasters and everyone at this wonderful site and of course people who share yesfans.com.We can be proud indeed.THANKS...ah Merry Xmas and a happy YESYEAR 2007

Sheerah
12-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Look First time ive got INTERNET i write in GOOGLE : yes and here it is.Thank you for doing extremely good.I think this forum is the best ive ever seen.I SAY Bravo for pagemasters and everyone at this wonderful site and of course people who share yesfans.com.We can be proud indeed.THANKS...ah Merry Xmas and a happy YESYEAR 2007

What a nice thing to say!

Merry and Happy, Fargyface!

GoD57
12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Is there a way I can search for just my last 10 or 20 posts? I know I can go into my profile and find ALL of my posts but sometimes that just takes too long.

Bill

Mostly Harmless
04-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I know the morning back-up was moved to accomodate posters on the west coast, but now we're having major troubles with Wakey-chat every week! A number of us are getting kicked out several times during chat and it is ver difficult to get back in. Just a concern....

1yesfan
04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
It was moved also to allow folks in other countries to be able to post. Seems the backup took place during peak posting time for more then just the west coasters.

InverYes
04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
I know the morning back-up was moved to accomodate posters on the west coast, but now we're having major troubles with Wakey-chat every week! A number of us are getting kicked out several times during chat and it is ver difficult to get back in. Just a concern....

Is the back up the reason for that though?

I noticed a few folk leaving the chat room and entering again almost instantly, but it has never happened to me.

Would the back up cause this to happen?

Mostly Harmless
04-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Is the back up the reason for that though?

I noticed a few folk leaving the chat room and entering again almost instantly, but it has never happened to me.

Would the back up cause this to happen?

I personally never had any problems with chat until the back-up time changed and I only have problems while the back-up is happening. Problems start at 5:30am EST and usually stop a little after 6:00. Is that when the back-up happens?

Mostly Harmless
04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
It was moved also to allow folks in other countries to be able to post. Seems the backup took place during peak posting time for more then just the west coasters.

Thanks for the reply, Tim. It makes sense that the time was moved.

1yesfan
04-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I personally never had any problems with chat until the back-up time changed and I only have problems while the back-up is happening. Problems start at 5:30am EST and usually stop a little after 6:00. Is that when the back-up happens?

yes that is when the backup runs. When it runs it takes up MOST of the connections to the database, thus it is hard to post or use the chat as they both run out of the DB.

the'YES'kid
05-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Just wanted stop by and say I LOVE the new look of the forum. Last one was too weird (with the DJ and all).

Now it feels like home.

1yesfan
05-06-2007, 11:47 AM
You can change the FORUM look on the fly to multi looks. Use the drop down box on the bottom left side of site or in your profile look for SKIN.

GoodSamaratan
06-02-2007, 09:45 PM
OK, this is my suggestion: Since you claim you have over 25 million members... LOL! Don't we all wish that was true! Gosh, I tell you, sometimes I feel so sorry for YES.
But anyhoo, since we have some 8000 YESFANS, and that's no small feat at all, how about if you guys have a little section set aside for SINGLE YESFANS!!!
You know, a personals for us lonely Yesfans.
Give it a try for once and see how it goes, eh?

PhaseDance
06-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I think we should have casual Fridays around here. I'm tired of getting dressed up all week long just to post here.

Yes.2
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
If we had the plugin to enable audio chat in the chatroom that'd be great.

Sheerah
06-03-2007, 03:23 AM
OK, this is my suggestion: Since you claim you have over 25 million members... LOL! Don't we all wish that was true! Gosh, I tell you, sometimes I feel so sorry for YES.
But anyhoo, since we have some 8000 YESFANS, and that's no small feat at all, how about if you guys have a little section set aside for SINGLE YESFANS!!!
You know, a personals for us lonely Yesfans.
Give it a try for once and see how it goes, eh?

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?t=9236

yes_angel
06-03-2007, 04:34 AM
yes that is when the backup runs. When it runs it takes up MOST of the connections to the database, thus it is hard to post or use the chat as they both run out of the DB.I wondered that,,I thought is was my computer connection alone!

Buglunch
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I suggest we set up a registered IRC chatroom to supplement and eventually replace the chuggy Flashchat we have here, full instructions on getting IRC to work stickied.
Wakeman radio chat falls right during backup time every Sat. a.m. and it's a resource hog for many computers anyway; too much is dedicated to appearance and soundbytes.

mIRC I've used for six years for other fora and had almost no issues with this light program; not sure why some cannot get it working. I dislike Flash and Java being used for text chat and I'm always getting Java malfunctions and glitches.
We use another site's IRC room Saturdays for Wakeychat for a while now but Starchat was broken last Sat. and we had to use the Flashchat here- a lot of problems with very slow text response and RAM clogging for people. And the alternate IRC room may be gone mid-July.

And the Flashroom here gets hacked at times- is it optimized and secure now?
I don't know how to register IRC rooms so they don't get jacked but we should have one of our own- any experts here?
Starchat is a good server base 99 per cent of the time.

MikeYESfan
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I have an IDEA..

I'm having trouble puting people's faces with their Avitar.

Everyone should post a picture of their face in their Profile.
maybe even all with the Tea Cozy. LOL

for instance, I keep getting Scooty and Screedy confused.
I know they both spent the night with Chris..But Who is Who?

Any Ideas????

Mostly Harmless
12-12-2007, 12:54 PM
.....I know they both spent the night with Chris..But Who is Who?

Any Ideas????

LMAO!

MikeYESfan
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I have an IDEA..

I'm having trouble puting people's faces with their Avitar.

Everyone should post a picture of their face in their Profile.
maybe even all with the Tea Cozy. LOL

Any Ideas????

LMAO!

I wrote the post just to get that in.....lol

yes_angel
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I wrote the post just to get that in.....lolI know screedy but I don't know that scooty person lol

True Believer
12-13-2007, 12:27 AM

Any Ideas????
I hope Chris found out who was who, in time!

yesyadda
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I think the search engine could use improvement. I often get messages that the match I'm looking for is too short or too common.

Does Google have the ability to apply it's search capabilities to forums such as this? It gets really frustrating not being able to find a thread or post.

InverYes
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I think the search engine could use improvement. I often get messages that the match I'm looking for is too short or too common.

You're not searching for "Yes" are you ? :winknudge

I'll check it out for you.

YesfanAndy
09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
You can change the FORUM look on the fly to multi looks. Use the drop down box on the bottom left side of site or in your profile look for SKIN.

Tim,

Thanks for posting this. I was not a fan of the newest design and wanted a more user friendly look for my eyes!

thanks again,

Andy --

1yesfan
09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Np

Awakened by the Gates
09-24-2008, 01:34 AM
I suggest we don't discuss Yes!:Wow:

the'YES'kid
12-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Weed Wish List?

I have an idea to add on the Trading Room forum.

Some people collect any bootleg they can no matter what tour, quality, etc. Some (like me) are more interested in specific tours, quality, etc.

Every time I'd said "I'd like to have ______ bootleg" someone will PM me and just send it to me without any request of exchange. That is greatly appreciated but I think a more fair option for everybody would be if I re-weeded those (which I'm starting to do).

I don't wanna be 'this guy' who's always asking for bootlegs, so to make it all even, I suggest an area/thread called "Weed Wish List" where we could ask for a specific bootleg(s). Once someone offers it, the requester HAS to start a New Weed with the usual rules (1 burnless 2 burners). That way a weed starts by a request and not in the usual way.

I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of boots and are always thinking "which one would be the best to weed next?", so I think a better situation would be to weed one that was specifically requested.

I don't know if this might have it's down sides or would make things more complicated. It's just an idea.

MorningGlory
03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
without losing all the existing data it would really be cool for the site to be more 3D, like Gaia and 2'nd life. Roger Dean could do all the scape ing ...

SouthSideGuy
11-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Oh great admins in the sky, :bowdown:

I pray to you for a forum dedicated to going GREEN.

A place where we can consolidate ideas for renewable power sources and such things.

What'da'ya think?

Original_Shifty
11-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Oh great admins in the sky, :bowdown:

I pray to you for a forum dedicated to going GREEN.

A place where we can consolidate ideas for renewable power sources and such things.

What'da'ya think?

Anyone can start a thread about pretty much any subject. Why don't you start one about this? It's a good subject.

SouthSideGuy
11-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Anyone can start a thread about pretty much any subject. Why don't you start one about this? It's a good subject.

Excellent question!

I think it would probably be nicerr if all ideas and subjects pertaining to the green movement be consolidated via their own thread within a dedicated forum.

MorningGlory
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Its very important to preserve our all ready existing DATA, (not counting think tank 1) and give Yes fans 3D avatars that can move throughout a 3D Yes Rodger Dean wonderland......

Gemini
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I notice HTML code is disabled. I never used it myself (not even sure I'd know how) but, is this a recent change? And what might be the advantage of this to the running of the site? Just curious.

Bobby Dread
02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Its very important to preserve our all ready existing DATA, (not counting think tank 1) and give Yes fans 3D avatars that can move throughout a 3D Yes Rodger Dean wonderland......

Having just seen Avatar for the first time today, in 3D no less, I'm all for this. I want to learn the Yes'vi's ways. I'll take the guy on the cover of Going For The One as my avatar. Thanks!

InverYes
02-22-2010, 03:23 AM
I notice HTML code is disabled. I never used it myself (not even sure I'd know how) but, is this a recent change? And what might be the advantage of this to the running of the site? Just curious.

It's on in certain forums, but not all.

Apparently it can make the site vulnerable to hacking.

( Don't ask how though. )

If it's on in a forum then you can embed videos from Youtube etc.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
It's on in certain forums, but not all.

Apparently it can make the site vulnerable to hacking.

( Don't ask how though. )

If it's on in a forum then you can embed videos from Youtube etc.Well, that would explain why I can't post videos. I must be trying in the wrong forums.

rikensquire
02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, that would explain why I can't post videos. I must be trying in the wrong forums.

I've noticed that Youtube has added a few more steps to embedding the videos as well. I have a trial and error method, since I've never learned much about the intricacies of certain elements of the web. Some videos require choosing a size and color for the background of videos too.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Another thought to bounce off the admins: Is there a reason not to allow the 'user' user group to be able to see deletion notices again? I think we we're once able to do that, but it stopped right around the upgrade. (I'm only asking for a yes or no answer here.)

InverYes
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
the 'user' user group

Que?

See above post.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Que?

See above post.Not sure what I'm not making clear. I mean we regular 'User's, as opposed to Moderator, Administrator, or Super Administrator. I seem to recall a time when, should a post have been deleted, it didn't merely vanish. There was a notice left in it's place. It's not even really worth this much attention. Just curious, really.

InverYes
02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
I get you.

Is the deleted post between #73 and #74 above visible?

Sometimes it's easy to forget that we don't always get the same view of the site as the members.

rikensquire
02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Not sure what I'm not making clear. I mean we regular 'User's, as opposed to Moderator, Administrator, or Super Administrator. I seem to recall a time when, should a post have been deleted, it didn't merely vanish. There was a notice left in it's place. It's not even really worth this much attention. Just curious, really.

I'll just suggest that you direct questions like this to the owner, you're just asking for it otherwise. The lefties who have to defend your right to post might feel an opportunity presenting itself, when you want to know exactly what happens to posts that are deleted and WHY. Unleashing your questions in the open part of the forum makes you a swell target for some.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
73 says: Another idea to...
74 says: Que?

See above post.

Rick, you may have the nail on the head. I remind you, Richard that I don't attach too much importance to this. I just remember things being different before. A notice may lead an irate 'victim' of a deleted post to spar with the mod that deleted the post. No need to add any more work load to the mod set now, is there?

InverYes
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
It's a fair question and a good point that sometimes there could be a glitch in the system that affects the view of some usergroups and not others.

Unless you can log on as a member of a different group it might never get noticed.

InverYes
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
73 says: Another idea to...
74 says: Que?

See above post.

That is interesting, because there is a deleted post between #73 and #74 with a "reason for deletion" message left in its place.

Is it visible to anyone else?

Gemini
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll just suggest that you direct questions like this to the owner, you're just asking for it otherwise. The lefties who have to defend your right to post might feel an opportunity presenting itself, when you want to know exactly what happens to posts that are deleted and WHY. Unleashing your questions in the open part of the forum makes you a swell target for some.I'd say this, Rick: Most posters who suffer a deleted post already know why the post was deleted. If a post of mine was deleted and I was truly mystified, I'd PM the mod who deleted it and ask for clarification; I'd have the good taste not to make a public stink about it. That said, maybe some would get all steamed about it and make a brewhaha. Not worth the trouble, IMHO.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
That is interesting, because there is a deleted post between #73 and #74 with a "reason for deletion" message left in its place.

Is it visible to anyone else?Nope. It sounds like this feature was unchecked for my/our user group. At least we know, but I don't advocate a change.

rikensquire
02-22-2010, 05:25 PM

I don't see it, but I attributed that to the different "skins" we can choose. Some styles didn't allow me to see the Yesfans e-mail link, so I learned to look for that first when I've swapped them out.

Gemini
02-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't see it, but I attributed that to the different "skins" we can choose. Some styles didn't allow me to see the Yesfans e-mail link, so I learned to look for that first when I've swapped them out.That reminds me, I paid extra for EMail and I don't use it. Whassup wit dat?

Sheerah
02-23-2010, 04:13 PM

I can see it. :aaa[1]:

Gemini
02-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I can see it. :aaa[1]:
You have the secret decoder ring You can see everything. :eyewobble
BTW, STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!)
(Or at least leave something on me. I'll catch cold!)

jayar2k9
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
OK, I've gone thru this entire thread to make sure there were no previous posts on the matter, and before I make my suggestion, dont anyone flip out. I'm not talking radical changes here, just more like a couple of adjustments. Now..that bieng said:

I think it would be nice to redo the YF logo.
http://www.cafepress.com/Yesfans.441692967

The letters are a little too obscure to be read easily from even a short distance. Overall, it's just too "busy". I think we need something with smoother lines and less "pieces" to it.
I hope this doesnt offend the one who came up with the design (as I'm sure he/she is still a member and will probably read this), but I, for one, would be much more inclined to buy quite a few different pieces of merchandise if the logo could be readjusted!! :)

Sheerah
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Good idea! Maybe someone can try to design one.

InverYes
06-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree.

( I've never liked it )

True Believer
06-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Me too. I'd like a new one.

rheayes
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Is it possible to set up a "three days posts" listing of notes for just the on-topic forums, like YesMusic, Tour Center, New Members, etc?

I feel like I miss so many notes with all the subforums, yet I have very little interest in the offtopic Yestown notes. And there's so many of them. I'd just feel like I'd use Yesfans more or better if I could find everything I'd like to read more easily. Thanks for looking at this.

Also, I have an issue where all the posts mark themselves as "read", and I'm not sure what I'm doing to trigger this. It's really annoying, because it means I constantly have to remember where I am with all the threads I want to read. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this?

Thanks,

jayar2k9
06-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Good idea! Maybe someone can try to design one.

Maybe our dearest RelayerJim can come up with some ideas!

jayar2k9
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
OK, I've gone thru this entire thread to make sure there were no previous posts on the matter, and before I make my suggestion, dont anyone flip out. I'm not talking radical changes here, just more like a couple of adjustments. Now..that bieng said:

The letters are a little too obscure to be read easily from even a short distance. Overall, it's just too "busy". I think we need something with smoother lines and less "pieces" to it.
I hope this doesnt offend the one who came up with the design (as I'm sure he/she is still a member and will probably read this), but I, for one, would be much more inclined to buy quite a few different pieces of merchandise if the logo could be readjusted!! :)

:shrug:OK, so how would I go about starting a poll on the matter? I'm not very educated with these types of things; maybe one of you could do it?

jayar2k9
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
:shrug:OK, so how would I go about starting a poll on the matter? I'm not very educated with these types of things; maybe one of you could do it?

nevermind, i got it

InverYes
06-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Is it possible to set up a "three days posts" listing of notes for just the on-topic forums, like YesMusic, Tour Center, New Members, etc?

I feel like I miss so many notes with all the subforums, yet I have very little interest in the offtopic Yestown notes. And there's so many of them. I'd just feel like I'd use Yesfans more or better if I could find everything I'd like to read more easily. Thanks for looking at this.

We can't amend the three day search option, but you can exclude any forums that you're not interested in from your view of the site. Go into your profile and then choose the forums you want to exclude from the box at the bottom of the page.

Also, I have an issue where all the posts mark themselves as "read", and I'm not sure what I'm doing to trigger this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean?

True Believer
06-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Also, I have an issue where all the posts mark themselves as "read", and I'm not sure what I'm doing to trigger this. It's really annoying, because it means I constantly have to remember where I am with all the threads I want to read. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this?

Thanks,

Sometimes if I leave YF without logging off, or my computer shits itself and then I go back in - all the threads will be highlighted even the ones I've read, as if I haven't read any of them. Is that something like what you mean?

tidewater
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
A GORGEOUS YES PLAYLIST.:headset:

Meng
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks,

I get this too, though not as often as you seem to.

I'll log out, go back in 30 minutes later (or whatever), and every post will be marked as read even if they've been updated sine I was last logged on.

Doesn't happen very often for me though.

1yesfan
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Relayer Jim had been our site ART man. Since he has been off site alot for the last year that has left us no one to do quality art for the site, logo's, etc.

Sheerah
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Relayer Jim had been our site ART man. Since he has been off site alot for the last year that has left us no one to do quality art for the site, logo's, etc.

Jane's talking about the logo that is being sold on the tshirts that J.J. Geers designed.

1yesfan
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
If any one wants to take a shot at a new shirt logo please try. Keep in mind it can't be a Dean knock off, has to be our own look. Also, once you do the logo and post it here it DOES become property of the site and it's owner.

1yesfan
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Jane's talking about the logo that is being sold on the tshirts that J.J. Geers designed.

I know. JJ has been long gone from the site and Jim was getting ready to work on shirt stuff when his wife had the health issues. I just let it go at that point.

1yesfan
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
anyone is welcome to go to the SHOPPE and look at the demensions for the shirts that have to met and post or PM/EMAIL me them and we can see what we can do.

Roan's Lady
06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes. Please remove the apostrophe from "idea's". Thanks. Otherwise a bang-up job! :thumbs:

Sheerah
06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes. Please remove the apostrophe from "idea's". Thanks. Otherwise a bang-up job! :thumbs:

:lmao:

Roan's Lady
06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
:lmao:

Thank's, thats much better!! :D

The Whale
06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I love how the teacher who cant wait for school to be over is on here correcting people! I just thought you would be glad that Yesfans has a box we can stick thing in...

Roan's Lady
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I love how the teacher who cant wait for school to be over is on here correcting people! I just thought you would be glad that Yesfans has a box we can stick thing in...

"Can't".
"Things".

And a clever play on words. ;)

luckeydoug1
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes. Please remove the apostrophe from "idea's". Thanks. Otherwise a bang-up job! :thumbs:Oh my.... is it time for the apostrophe lesson again? http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Roan's Lady
06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Oh my.... is it time for the apostrophe lesson again? http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Excellent. I love that flower! :D

The Whale
06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
"Can't".
"Things".

And a clever play on words. ;)

Well you could at least brake out the red when you correct like a real teacher! And maybe... just maybe... bust out the ruler for a good spanking.

rheayes
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
We can't amend the three day search option, but you can exclude any forums that you're not interested in from your view of the site. Go into your profile and then choose the forums you want to exclude from the box at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, I didn't know that option existed. I just trimmed down what forums show up in my Three Days Posts. That really does take care of what I wanted. :-)

Regarding the "read" items, it acts as if I hit some "mark all messages as read" option, even though I haven't. Every thread shows up as read. I can't see which ones I haven't read yet and the "View first unread" option is gone.

I normally read posts through my subscribed threads and forums in my profile. I don't know what I'm doing to set it off. It will show a list of unread threads. I'll read one, come back to my profile, and everything will be showing up as read.

This has happened to me in other forums that look like they use the same infrastructure as YesFans. It's happened using Firefox and Chrome.

relayerjim
06-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I know. JJ has been long gone from the site and Jim was getting ready to work on shirt stuff when his wife had the health issues. I just let it go at that point.

I have been around a little more these day's (since Deb is getting better). I'll try working on some YesFans logos.
BTW, I love JJ's artwork.

fish62858
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe...

Machine Messiah
06-16-2010, 04:45 AM
If any one wants to take a shot at a new shirt logo please try. Keep in mind it can't be a Dean knock off, has to be our own look. Also, once you do the logo and post it here it DOES become property of the site and it's owner.

Ah, well- that's my ideas down the drain then. Back to the drawing board!

Wild Westie
07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Why and when do you use this new panic button?
I haven't been around these parts lately and just noticed it.

Gemini
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Why and when do you use this new panic button?
I haven't been around these parts lately and just noticed it.

You put a URL in the appropriate field on your settings page then, if someone (like the boss, for example) walks in and you click on the panic button, your browser goes straight to that page. Sneaky, huh? ;)

jayar2k9
07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Thank's, thats much better!! :D

OK, what's wrong with THIS pic...?

Wild Westie
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
You put a URL in the appropriate field on your settings page then, if someone (like the boss, for example) walks in and you click on the panic button, your browser goes straight to that page. Sneaky, huh? ;)

Great idea! Too bad I can't use it as I'm much too busy at work these days.

Borris
07-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering about having section under "Prog Bands And Music Yesfans Follow" for "the Canterbury Scene" there is a thread for Caravan which doesn't seem to be that well used, you could either change this one, or start a new thread for the Canterbury Scene bands minus Caravan. There does seem to be a strong thread through these bands partly because individual bands seemed to be made up different combinations of the same musicians / composers / songwriters. I know there is some debate about the aptness of the term Canterbury Scene as many of the musicians never went near the place but in the absence of other definitions this one is used. The main Canterbury bands were Soft Machine, Caravan, Matching Mole, National Health, Hatfield and the North, Gong & Henry Cow.

What do you say?

Meng
08-13-2010, 06:29 AM
In the Search function, when you activate the drop-down box you get the text box, plus the option of show threads or show posts, and then the Advanced Search link.

Would it be possible to add a Search Thread Titles Only tick-box, as other vBulletin boards have? It would save having to keep going into Advanced to perform this very useful function.

grafgulch
09-29-2010, 02:43 PM
My only suggestion is that the entire website is hard to read. There are too my uneccessary pictures/images. Everyone seems to want to post pics of their "new-age" photos, or pics of them with a yes member, the avatars are too big. Too many "my pretty pony like pictures".

Bluegrunt
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
My only suggestion is that the entire website is hard to read. There are too my uneccessary pictures/images. Everyone seems to want to post pics of their "new-age" photos, or pics of them with a yes member, the avatars are too big. Too many "my pretty pony like pictures".

You can turn off the display of avatars and photos in signatures.
Go to your profile, select "Edit Options" (on the left under Settings and Options), the third block of options is called "Thread Display Options".

The first item here is "Visible Post Options" and here you can turn off signatures, avatars or images. Remember to save changes at the bottom if you make any changes.

Bluegrunt
09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
In the Search function, when you activate the drop-down box you get the text box, plus the option of show threads or show posts, and then the Advanced Search link.

Would it be possible to add a Search Thread Titles Only tick-box, as other vBulletin boards have? It would save having to keep going into Advanced to perform this very useful function.

I don't know about this, will try and find out.

Meng
09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't know about this, will try and find out.

Thanks. :beerchugr:

Scottie
09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks. :beerchugr:
I only visit this site to see your sig pic.

Exactly Pete, your post fits my thoughts so I'll repeat it below.

Thanks. :cheers:

grafgulch
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
i'm a big dummy.. thanks that helped alot

JustAFan
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Call me crazy, but one of the things I like about the "look" of this site is everyone's big, fat avatars, their pictures and such.

If you want "blah" sites, they are all over the net, but this site is more "personal", with all those touches users place here.

I like it.

Meng
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I only visit this site to see your sig pic.

Exactly Pete, your post fits my thoughts so I'll repeat it below.

Thanks. :cheers:

Godfadder. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/worship.gif (http://www.millan.net)

1yesfan
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I do not know how to set this one up off hand. Would have to research it. If I understand you, you want a TIC box on first search drop down to allow you to search thread TITLES only? I am sure the code can be moved to this first box. Let me look into it.

Meng
09-30-2010, 12:55 PM
If I understand you, you want a TIC box on first search drop down to allow you to search thread TITLES only? I am sure the code can be moved to this first box. Let me look into it.

That's right. Here's how it looks on Steve Hoffman's vBulletin site:

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1101/search1l.jpg

yesanneyes
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Call me crazy, but one of the things I like about the "look" of this site is everyone's big, fat avatars, their pictures and such.

If you want "blah" sites, they are all over the net, but this site is more "personal", with all those touches users place here.

I like it.

I totally agree! It is more personal and seems more "alive".

bells of awaken
06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm concerned that the links in the email notifications don't seem to be linking to the individual posts, rather, they are going to the beginning of the particular thread.
Just a kink i guess and i'm just bringing it to somebodys attention.

Micah68
06-29-2011, 05:14 AM
We need new graphics on the site following the upgrade
Are we allowed to promote the new album and work with yesworld and roger dean ?

seems like an ideal time

Fragyface
06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
as an old man said after going out the jail: yesterday, what did we talk about? IT HAPPENS ALL RIGHT NOOOOW YES, O YES AT LAST ,without Jon, but I like it.

Wakey's #1 Fan
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
yeah, I want the big avatars back! I love my 300 x 300 pics and sadly they are so small now, like with a free account.

soulsearcher
06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
yeah, I want the big avatars back! I love my 300 x 300 pics and sadly they are so small now, like with a free account.

but look at your sig line! lol!

Wakey's #1 Fan
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
but look at your sig line! lol!
that's what left of the times with the HUGE pics everywhere! T_T

Imperatrix
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
I really don't think we need huge avatars or massive sigs. IT'S LIKE SHOUTING ONE'S (self-perceived) SUPERIORITY TO THE SKIES, if you take my meaning.

rePete
06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I really don't think we need huge avatars or massive sigs. IT'S LIKE SHOUTING ONE'S (self-perceived) SUPERIORITY TO THE SKIES, if you take my meaning.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of huge images that appear each and every time a person posts. Clutters up the place, and gets a little visually tiring.

It's repetitive and redundant.

Camphire
07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
I agree about the huge images being annoying.

But I miss the last ten posts list thingy that we used to have before the upgrade.
I used that a lot.

Surely! Surely!
07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
I am getting this error

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

only when I try to enter the second page of a thread I just posted on - "If It Was Your Job...."

I can access it originally but now cannot access any other page than the first page. All other threads are not erroring for me.

Why is this happening?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 Phusion_Passenger/2.2.5 Server at www.yesfans.com Port 80

bells of awaken
08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm betting that the above post was replied to but lost in the upgrade kafuffle. I don't think it would have sat there all this time being unanswered and her problems were common at the time. Anyway, why i came here was...

I notice we have two links at the bottom of the page to the top but no links at the top of the page to the bottom.

I noticed that...

just sayin' thats all
coz theres been a couple of times i needed to get to the bottom of the page really quick you know, and thought Hey! theres an idea! A quick link to the bottom of page. Could make web browsing a thing of the past.
You never know.

pianozach
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm betting that the above post was replied to but lost in the upgrade kafuffle. I don't think it would have sat there all this time being unanswered and her problems were common at the time. Anyway, why i came here was...

I notice we have two links at the bottom of the page to the top but no links at the top of the page to the bottom.

I noticed that...

just sayin' thats all
coz theres been a couple of times i needed to get to the bottom of the page really quick you know, and thought Hey! theres an idea! A quick link to the bottom of page. Could make web browsing a thing of the past.
You never know.

Buttons I would probably never use.

My keyboard has keys marked "home", "end", "page up" and "page down". Very handy.

bells of awaken
08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Buttons I would probably never use.

My keyboard has keys marked "home", "end", "page up" and "page down". Very handy.

It was kind of a joke post but anyway i've learnt something, i have an END button too.

luvyesmusic
08-31-2011, 12:31 AM
I'll try to use the end button but I doubt I will still get any ass from my wife. ;-)

yesyadda
09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Whoever placed the "Today's Posts" link closer to the "Forum" button.... THANKS! :thumbs:

yesyadda
09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Ok- who moved it back to where it was?

1yesfan
09-09-2011, 08:30 PM
no clue to what your talking about.

Soleil3
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Pages taking forever to load for me. Sometimes not at all.
Anyone else experience this lately?
Please lemme know. It could be my security software.

True Believer
11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Slow for me today too.

Imperatrix
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Slow for me today too.

Same here.

Soleil3
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks.
Yo Tim!
Tim!
TIME FOR TIMOTHY!

fovman
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Lately Yesfans is SLOW!!

pianozach
11-02-2011, 02:31 AM

Yes. Occasionally the pages start loading and get stuck . . . My security software nor its settings have not changed lately.

Maybe it's the new ESPN ticker at the bottom . . . ?

cinderella
11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Every time I click on "3 Days Posts" a new window opens up.
I had like 6-8 of them before I noticed.

I guess you have to use the back button to get back to the main page.

Imperatrix
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Every time I click on "3 Days Posts" a new window opens up.
I had like 6-8 of them before I noticed.

I guess you have to use the back button to get back to the main page.

Yes, same here. I'm sure that will be resolved soon, though! Thanks for bringing the 3DP option back, Tim.

1yesfan
11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Just click on it once.

Timmo
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM
There's probably an option to set it not to open a new window...I'm just aware of it now, and don't keep opening new ones.

1yesfan
11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I recoded the button, your wish is my want for a donation to the site server fund. :)

1yesfan
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I have also set some of those buttons up there not to show unless you are logged in.

Rabin105
01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
can we change our backgrounds? there used to be this wicked cool winter background

Bluegrunt
01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
can we change our backgrounds? there used to be this wicked cool winter background
You can change your vBulletin style - see drop down box at bottom left of this page.
There are Xmas and Halloween styles, among others.

1yesfan
01-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Sadly there are no SKINS that are as nice as what we had in the prev version of VB I was running. Non of them would work with the current version and thus far the folks that make them have not released many nice ones just yet. Going to take some time. We also had someone here that helped a ton in making some of the artwork that no longer does so I am sorta stuck there also.

Soleil3
07-21-2012, 11:03 AM
This stuff is really getting on my nerves...

Soleil3
07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
The plague

1yesfan
07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
This stuff is really getting on my nerves...

I assume you mean the links on some words in the site content. It is a new try at getting some SERVER MONEY drummed up to pay the light bill and not have to ask for server fund donations every month. Right now it is in a trial period on the site. If folks do not like it it please advise me how we can drum up money in some other fashion? If you do not like it can't you have your browser set to no allow pop ups?????????????

YesNY
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Things are great on the board! I can only think of one suggestion, and I am not even sure if it is a good one. That would be a sub-forum for Procol Harum in the bands section. They are supporting Yes on many dates on this tour, but I am not sure would even be a demand for such a sub-forum. I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Thanks.

1yesfan
07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I think that other then them being on the tour that it would be a dead forum otherwise. Hell before this tour has there been much talk about them in any general forum here?

Rabin105
07-25-2012, 03:35 PM
probably will get shot down but perhaps a Yes rumors section. where people can post about yes rumors like talks of the next album?

Lonewolf
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I think that other then them being on the tour that it would be a dead forum otherwise. Hell before this tour has there been much talk about them in any general forum here?

You're probably right and more's the pity. They hardly even get mentioned in the reviews this year, I thought they were great in Bethlehem. Makes me want to get some more of their albums.

YesNY
07-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Yesfans Suggestion Box: Ideas, Thoughts, Concerns?

Well, I already came up with an idea, that being the Procol Harum sub-forum one. Well, it got shot down. So, next is thoughts. Okay, really rumors I have heard about the site owner. (No, I am not bitter.) I hope he can address whether these are true or not:

Your car has a vanity license plate, and it is 1YESFAN. The jurisdiction of the car registration is the Cayman Islands.

You resent the long wait for auto parts whenever your Bentley is in the shop.

You have a split personality. Your other personality goes by the name of Geoff. He occasionally posts on these boards.

The server fund is in the six figures! (Or maybe it is sick figures? I can't remember which.)

You think Hoofddorp, the Netherlands is a made-up place, and are investigating!

;)

(With tongue firmly planted in cheek. Thanks, Tim, for all the great work!)

1yesfan
07-28-2012, 12:29 PM
No, not 1yesfan. I tried that here, it is taken last I looked. I do have a Yesfans site themed plate but can't tell.

YesNY
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
No, not 1yesfan. I tried that here, it is taken last I looked...

Well, then, you have only one thing you can do.

Move to another state.

;)

YesNY
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Please lock the birthday threads after a person's birthday is over. I have noticed some people posting to these threads after the person's birthday, and it is disturbing me.

jaynote1
09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Pinterest is misspelled on the home page, if no one has noticed....

InverYes
09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Pinterest is misspelled on the home page, if no one has noticed....

Well spotted :thumbup: