PDA

View Full Version : The Green squares: Do they still have meaning?

brotherofmine
02-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I didn't come on to this site to earn those little green squares underneath your avatar. But I guess they give an indication as to getting yourself known on site. I remember how long it took me to get from one green square to two and I was delighted when it happened. I sometimes welcome new people with rep. and notice that for instance they will jump from one square to SEVEN in one fell swoop. I am aware that rep. that people get is based on two things:
1) How much rep. the rep. donor has.
2) How many posts the rep. donor has.
As all of us who have stayed on the site for sometime are increasing our posts and rep. it may not be that long that if an established YF gives a new member rep. you will get the crazy situation that person will jump from one square to 11 squares in one fell swoop..hence making the system pretty much pointless.
So is it time to change how much rep. you need before you get a square...or is it out our hands (ie vBulletin). What do other members think?

JaneEyre
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
For me, the points themselves are meaningless.

But I love reading the messages people leave and I enjoy giving rep as well. It kind of feels like giving or getting a hug.

1yesfan
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
It is a software that is part of the site software, vb, I can change how things are counted but I have never messed with it and just lefted it set up as VB made it. IT IS JUST A FUN LITTLE TOY, A GAME, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE SO SERIOUS FOLKS!

tardistraveler
02-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm like JaneE - it's just fun to read the messages, and to give them out.

I NEVER give negative rep - if I have a real problem with someone, I'll just PM them and talk about it.

Sheerah
02-16-2005, 04:12 PM
It's just a for fun thing.
It's not really important, or a contest.
The points are irrelevant, for me.
What matters to me is who gave it, and what they said.
It shows that I am being well thought of. Or as JaneE said, I've been given a hug.
(Okay, well once I received negative rep. I wasn't being well thought of that day.)

Sometimes weeks go by without me getting any rep.
And admittedly, I get all pouty.
But then I get some rep, and I'm like :bncy:

JaneEyre
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Tony! :hearts:

tardistraveler
02-16-2005, 05:18 PM
I just checked my comments - had a couple of sweet/funny ones - thanks . . . :D

InverYes
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
No-one commented when the system changed so that you could see who was giving you rep. It originally was anonymous. Hope no-one got a fright when it changed!

It's a good way of just letting somebody know they made a good post, but I had noticed how some new members with maybe two posts had a hell of a lot of rep. Made me think Wow! what was it they said?

tardistraveler
02-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Everyone can see who's giving rep now? That's great!

I thought it was just a mod thing - knew I could, but not that everyone else could.

brotherofmine
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
No-one commented when the system changed so that you could see who was giving you rep. It originally was anonymous. Hope no-one got a fright when it changed!

It's a good way of just letting somebody know they made a good post, but I had noticed how some new members with maybe two posts had a hell of a lot of rep. Made me think Wow! what was it they said?
Richard I think how it works not exactly sure but I think the early green squares you get with even small amounts of rep. score so an established member giving rep. they can get 5/6 squares in one go. It may not be so much what they said if they are new I know myself and I think others do it too... a new member it is nice to welcome them not just with a post but some rep. too.

PO
02-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought I won a toaster.

cinderella
02-16-2005, 06:41 PM

You did.

Sheerah
02-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Why, did you convert a straight person to homosexuality?

Sheerah
02-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Richard I think how it works not exactly sure but I think the early green squares you get with even small amounts of rep. score so an established member giving rep. they can get 5/6 squares in one go. It may not be so much what they said if they are new I know myself and I think others do it too... a new member it is nice to welcome them not just with a post but some rep. too.

Mod rep carries alot of weight as well.

PO
02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Why, did you convert a straight person to homosexuality?

Oh, no. Is "toaster" now a word for the Secret Language thread? :winknudge

I thought the green dots were like trading stamps.

umgekehrt
02-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Hahaha I think a lot of people do take these things too seriously. Like if they receive negative reputation points they get angry, as if the one who gave them neg rep was doing it to cause harm. It's so simple folks, it's about approving or disapproving a post. Just because I don't agree with one of your posts doesn't mean that I hate you.

yesyadda
02-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I was shocked to find out I recently achieved "beyond repute" status. Thank goodness I keep a dictionary handy. Thought maybe I was making folks hurl.

Silent_wings
02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
What matters to me is who gave it, and what they said.

Yup what Boom Boom said

Don't take it seriously it's just for fun even negitive reps have there funny side.

The timing of being able to see who gave you rep did freak me out when it happened. ;)

cinderella
02-16-2005, 08:42 PM
I thought the green dots were like trading stamps.

I gave you some greenies. Just don't put them in the toaster.

Sheerah
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Yup what Boom Boom said

Don't take it seriously it's just for fun even negitive reps have there funny side.

The timing of being able to see who gave you rep did freak me out when it happened. ;)

I could always see who gave me rep, so I didn't know the difference.
Can you all see who gave you negative rep yet?

The thing is, some people can be downright rude in their negative rep comments.

Just everyone remember that you can show disapproval with respect.

umgekehrt
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I think it's good that we could see who are giving us reps now, because I usually forget to sign my name on it. Then again, I used to have fun with that, giving Roan's Lady "mysterious" rep points and she was going nuts trying to find out who it was hahaha.

Roan's Lady
02-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Honestly, I think the rep thing is pretty silly, and I can't help but think that some of that "negative rep" is directed more at the person and less at the post. Call me wary...anyway...so do I get rep for this post? Or negative rep? What, you don't like my hairstyle? Tough!! :razz:

cinderella
02-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm so embarrased. I gave some one rep points and I began to type my comment and I accidentally hit the wrong key and it went and I never finished the sentence and didn't get to sign my name. How stupid! Now I can't remember who it was.

Roan's Lady
02-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I think it's good that we could see who are giving us reps now, because I usually forget to sign my name on it. Then again, I used to have fun with that, giving Roan's Lady "mysterious" rep points and she was going nuts trying to find out who it was hahaha.

So that was you, was it, Panda Boy? Well, points is points. :D

Bugeyes
02-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Everything means something, and that's just all FUN! The comments have made me blush more then once, that's for sure.

umgekehrt
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
So that was you, was it, Panda Boy? Well, points is points. :D
Yeah, I was known as Fox Mulder in those days hahaha

Roan's Lady
02-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I was known as Fox Mulder in those days hahaha

Hubba Hubba! Yes, I remember! Were you know to look like him in those days, too?? ;)

buckleyfancy
02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Could someone tell me how to read the comments that go along with the points? I've been trying to figure that one out. Thanks!

umgekehrt
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Easy Buckley. Just go to your User Control Panel (click on Profile on the upper left corner and it will open a drop-down menu. Choose the first item, that's User CP).

nightliner
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
There was a discussion some time ago about getting rid of the reputation feature. I gather you want to keep it?

Bo Locks
02-17-2005, 04:36 AM
... the points themselves are meaningless.Oh, thank goodness for that! I thought mine were about to go red and I'd have to go to Carousel!

Logan

Earl Grey
02-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Mods could always see where the rep/neg points came from...

Luddite 'Me', I didn't figure this out till around six months ago...

:rolleyes:

BrianD
02-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Mods could always see where the rep/neg points came from...

Luddite 'Me', I didn't figure this out till around six months ago...

:rolleyes:

Pre-Luddite me didn't find out until today!

Earl Grey
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Pre-Luddite me didn't find out until today!

Really Brian? Woah!

OK. I don't feel so bad now. :D

;) :ele:

Scooty
02-17-2005, 05:12 AM
It kind of feels like giving or getting a hug.

Exactly....

JaneEyre
02-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Exactly....
Yeah, but you didn't give me rep for that post!

Kiss me, you fool!!

umgekehrt
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
For me the rep points are more important than the messages.

Sheerah
02-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Oh good, Umgy.
Then that offensive message that I wrote you won't mean a thing!

umgekehrt
02-17-2005, 02:40 PM
It's only offensive if you said "Gumby"

umgekehrt
02-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Hubba Hubba!
I wish people say "Hubba Hubba!" more often around here. I'd certainly give rep points for those who use those words in a post.

JaneEyre
02-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Hubba! Hubba!

(shameless)

umgekehrt
02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Great! Anybody else?

cinderella
02-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I can't give anymore points for 24 hours. I went on a rep rampage last night.

Alex
02-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Hubba, Hubba. I'm Shameless To.

Roan's Lady
02-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey! Just remember in whose post the original "hubba hubba" resides!

~Roan's "Hubba Hubba" Lady ;)

Sheerah
02-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Hookah! Hookah!

umgekehrt
02-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Should I start the Hubba! Hubba! thread?

Amy
02-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I like getting reps. Always makes me feel good.
It's fun to give them too.

cinderella
02-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Sure! I'll be there to give some rep. I've got to wait though. It says I've given out too much right now.

JJGeers
02-20-2005, 12:01 PM
The thing is, some people can be downright rude in their negative rep comments.

Just everyone remember that you can show disapproval with respect.

Good point Sheila!

Love,

Jasper

1yesfan
02-20-2005, 12:19 PM
I will echo these thoughts. The REP system is mean to be used for FUN at the end of the day and not to BLAST FOLKS. My mom always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all then!

JaneEyre
02-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Hubba! Hubba!

umgekehrt
02-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Alright Jane, one rep per member. I ain't got too much love to give :)

JaneEyre
02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Alright Jane, one rep per member. I ain't got too much love to give :)
I wanted you to start the Hubba! Hubba! thread...

umgekehrt
02-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh, hehehe I see now. Er... okay one Hubba! Hubba! thread coming up.

Bugeyes
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Could someone tell me how to read the comments that go along with the points? I've been trying to figure that one out. Thanks!Bump.

This recently came up and look who's birthday it is today!

Are we all connected yet? :music-smi

Plus, Umgy's been a lot MIA lately, and I just want to say hi to him...

There are others I'm missing too. We all go thru phases, now don't we.

Rabbit
04-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I was shocked to find out I recently achieved "beyond repute" status. Thank goodness I keep a dictionary handy. Thought maybe I was making folks hurl.

You thought "beyond repute" was like "ill repute" only much worse? ROTFL