PDA

View Full Version : Nights in White Satin...The Poem at the end..What is it!?

The_Fish
01-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Can someone please write it out for me, it's a really cool peice of poetry.

I know I sound lazy but, I'm too lazy!

cinderella
01-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Nights In White Satin is one of my favorite songs ever. I love Justin Hayward.
I have a letter he wrote to me that I treasure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/rostar7.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/rostar7.gif

Breath deep
The gathering gloom
Watch lights fade
From every room
Bedsitter people
Look back and lament
Another day's useless
Energy spent

Empassioned lovers
Wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love
And has none
New mother picks up
And suckles her son
Senior citizens
Wish they were young

Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colours
From our sight
Red is gray and
Yellow white
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an Illusion

Paul D
01-01-2005, 02:40 AM
...Justin Hayward. I have a letter he wrote to me that I treasure.

Cool! What did he have to say?

The Moody Blues, like Yes, are a perfect band...classic and timeless. I suppose that's a subject for another thread, though...

Chefstarship
01-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Days Of Future Past~The Day Begins

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right,
And which is an illusion.

Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let incipient figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and soon is gone.

Night time,to some a brief interlude,
To other the fear of solitude,
Brave Helios, wake up your steeds,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs

yesmusic
01-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Nights in White Satin...The Poem at the end..What is it!?

I like that poem myself, I also found that

Study its reason ~Give the poem some deep thought.
it will come to you

The_Fish
01-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Days Of Future Past~The Day Begins

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right,
And which is an illusion.

Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let incipient figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and soon is gone.

Night time,to some a brief interlude,
To other the fear of solitude,
Brave Helios, wake up your steeds,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs

Wasn't there more before that part?

Wow, I love the second verse, stansa thing, it describes the stars right? I just don't get the last line.

The_Fish
01-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Oh, I didn't see cinderellas post. Odd. I woulda sworn Chefstarship was the first to respond.

cinderella
01-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Cool! What did he have to say?

The Moody Blues, like Yes, are a perfect band...classic and timeless. I suppose that's a subject for another thread, though...

It wasn't that long of a letter really. I sent him a letter telling him how much I loved the Moody Blues, and that he was my favorite singer/guitarist. I was shocked when I received the letter from him. I have the envelope too (completely handwritten) with the stamp of the Queen. It's really nice. I've kept it all these years.

The really surprising thing was that a year later, he sent me an autographed photo. I never even asked for it. I thought that was very cool.

It's funny - back then, I went through a stage where I wanted to spell my name "Cindi" with an "i" and that's when I wrote him the letter. So he spelled it "Cindi" too. I'm sorry now that I did that. But then on the photo he sent a year later he spelled it right. :valintine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/LetterFromJustinHayward.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Cinderella528/JustinHayward.jpg

yesmandroc
01-05-2005, 02:17 AM

I disagree. I find them to be trite, especially when put next to Yes. The orchestration in that song reak of Vaughn Williams and Holst rip-offs.

soulsearcher
01-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I disagree. I find them to be trite, especially when put next to Yes. The orchestration in that song reak of Vaughn Williams and Holst rip-offs.

i wouldn't suggest you put anything next to yes.LOL!

mindgame
01-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I think the Moody Blues are sloppy rubish. They don't reach up to Yes shoe laces. Absolute nonsense lyrics, I really don't get it how they could be so popular.
Having said that, their first ever single called Go Now was excellent, but it was down hill fast from there! Sorry, Cindy.

Dances w/PURPLE
01-14-2005, 07:23 PM
OH
My
God

Cindy, Cindy....We are both in love with the MOODIES! I'm so jealous of that pick. When the man was in such fine form! *sigh* did you see the Red Rocks Concert? It was on PBS last year. AMAZING. I bought tickets to see them last October in Clearwater but had surgery on Le Foote so I missed it and Queenie went in my stead.

*can I tell you how many times I've made love to that album Days of Future Past? Hubby, then boyfriend, got me really hooked on them. His favorite then and now.

Dances w/PURPLE
01-14-2005, 07:24 PM
this one's for you Cindy"

"Lovely To See You"

A wonderful day for passing my way.
Knock and my door and even the score
With your eyes.

Lovely to see you again my friend.
Walk along with me to the next bend.

Dark cloud of fear is blowing away.
Now that you're hear, you're going to stay
'cause it's

Tells us what you've seen in faraway forgotten lands.
Where empires have turned back to sand.

Wonderful day for passing my way.
Knock and my door and even the score
With your eyes.

The_Fish
01-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Woa, mindgame don't be such a grumpy butt.

I think the letter is cool!
I wish I could get one from Jon!!
Lol, but I'm a guy, it wouldn't seem right....Maybe from Emily Browning though;)

luvyesmusic
08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Saw someone looking at this and had to (((bump))) it. Pretty cool about the letter and pic, Cindy.

yesanneyes
08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow - that IS cool about the letter and photo!!!

Olorin
08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Incidentally, the poem, although not named as such on the tracklisting of the original album, is known as Late Lament.

Yes.2
08-31-2010, 01:15 AM
I just love the moodies. Just love mixing their tunes into the playlist with Yes....They go together like chocolate and peenutbutter...

Then mix in some Tull... maybe some ELP....maybe some Floyd...Alan Parsons.

RobAdams
08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
I've always had a place in my heart for "In Search Of The Lost Chord". The opening poem (I've forgotten the title) is such a great way to open the album and segue into "Ride My See Saw".

bob_32_116
08-31-2010, 02:25 AM
Incidentally, the poem, although not named as such on the tracklisting of the original album, is known as Late Lament.
Indeed.... and it is credited to Graeme Edge.

There is actually a whole Moody Blues sub-forum on this board, under Prog Bands.

pianozach
08-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Indeed.... and it is credited to Graeme Edge.

There is actually a whole Moody Blues sub-forum on this board, under Prog Bands.

Which is where this thread should be moved to, yes?

I've always found the Moodies to be quite the oddity. Being "Prog" was not their original plan.

That first single, "Go Now" was, what, maybe four years before their next album I think, with a somewhat different line-up. Denny Laine was their vocalist guitarist, and Ray Thomas was playing harmonica!

The ". . . Blues" in their name was no coincidence . . .

When Denny and the forgotten bass player left, they were replaced with Justin Hayward on guitar and John Lodge on bass.

They were lucky enough to get a recording offer to play a rock version of some classical work, but they talked the suits into what turned into Days of Future Passed, a crossover Pop/Rock/Classical hybrid thingy.

One of the things I enjoyed most was the almost equal composition input of all band members . . . the different musical sensibilities seemed to complement each other quite nicely.

AllGoodPeephole
09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes, the Moodys are certainly timeless and one of my favorites. While the Beatles were doing their usual dabbling in experimentation and not really specializing in any sub-genre (just inventing them), the Moodys can be said to be the first full-fledge symphonic prog band to materialize.