PDA

View Full Version : Up and Down we go

1yesfan
10-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Sorry that the site keep goign down at times. These appear to be peak times on the server we are one with other sites. When all the sites are cranking along it slows us down and see see the slow loading pages and database errors. The site has been tweeked as much as possible. At this point the only thing that can help us now is to go to a semi dedicated server. This will be one that we share with jsut one other site. This server costs 300 bucks a month. That is money that I can not afford out of my own pocket monthly as I have been paying for the current monthly for the last 3+ years. This is why I have put up the shoppe, the donation link, and the google boxes to generate $$$ to take this site to its next level.
So this will continue till we move to a new server.

Sorry but we have grown so much.

JJGeers
10-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Yep!

Pretty much like a roller coaster... It's getting crazier every time I get here!

Love,

Jasper

:silly:

pixiedave
10-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it is cheap to start a website, but once it becomes popular the money woes start.
$300 for a semi dedicated server! Thats nuts, but if thats too expensive, than so is a t1 line into the house. I have taken to only coming here at like 4 am eastern. I can not stand waiting for servers to process my request. Not many people here then! Hope the ads and shop generate some income for the site!

1yesfan
10-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Yea our size has caight us, ha ha ha. I wouldl hope foks would click on the banner boxes! Its FREE and can generate cash FAST if folks did it 3 to 5 times a day or when they come one. I may have to move them up top. Perhaps they are not being seen.

pixiedave
10-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Yea our size has caight us, ha ha ha. I wouldl hope foks would click on the banner boxes! Its FREE and can generate cash FAST if folks did it 3 to 5 times a day or when they come one. I may have to move them up top. Perhaps they are not being seen.You have done a thourough job of letting people know about the problems and the adds. Unfortunately, the majority of people on the internet, not just here, do not care about a web sites financial woes. They will continue posting on their own agenda, not once clicking on a google add. If the situation gets worse, and I do not see how it will not,(unless Yes does take a couple years off)people will move on to another site. The google adds are not going to work for you imho, because most will not take the time to click on a link that leaves the site and takes them away from the 3000 yeswest vs trooper thread. Google adds work on a site that has much more traffic that this one. You said it yourself, just 18 clicks in a day. That is not going to put you on a new server. Not that I have any suggestions, I can barely afford my internet connection and my 4 dollar a month server for Teapottraveler. The only things that come to mind is selling yesfans email addresses, but that is just a quick income and really one time. The second may be to start charging to register here, but that wil only solve the problem because you will loose users. Thats a big wall your parked against, and there is no turning around or backing up. Apparently you are now looking at a yearly operating cost of at least $3600 to solve these slowdowns, thats one dollar a year from each member, but obviously not every member is a faithfull user, and the rest (including myself) cant or dont donate. Just thinking out loud, Cheers!

brotherofmine
10-04-2004, 12:01 PM
You have done a thourough job of letting people know about the problems and the adds. Unfortunately, the majority of people on the internet, not just here, do not care about a web sites financial woes. Cheers!
There is a saying that says, 'You get what you pay for', really in life nothing really comes for free, even 'Yesfans' it does come out of someone's pockets Tim's plus the small number of donors. As pixiedave points out, the site has grown so much, that it will take major financial surgery to sort it out. Maybe the combination of the Yesshpoppe, the clicks with google, more donations,a nd the Yesfans CD may help to solve the problem. If it doesn't then we are left I think with either paying a subscription or putting up with the problems as they are!
Another possible thing which may help is instead of waiting for people to donate monthly to the site, is to set a 'voluntary donation' maybe put a message on the site maybe to the effect to keep the site going a voluntary donation of say $5 or $10 per month would be appreciated. That way people are aware that is not just a 'freebie site' and that money is required to maintain it. It is voluntary so people would have the choice, make the method of donation easy so that people can do it where ever they live, independent of international credit cards, and this might work.
I think it is just a change of mind set required, this is not a free site someone has to pay, if you want improvements on the site someone has to pay.
Even if you spend say as little as 4 hours per month on site, isn't that good value for $5 - $10 per month?

1yesfan
10-04-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't want to guilt folks into paying money. But also don't want emails and same times complaining about the way the site is running or is being ran, which I am starting to see those complaints. At this point, the site will just have to go on as it has been. I am not pushing anymore to get folks to help. I have done all I can do, a few folks have helped BIG TIME to do what they can do.
I really do not want to start taking funds from folks in any fashion that hangs a DO IT OR ELSE theme over them. If so then the gates open up for folks to state "I pay so I want this or that" and I really want to stay away from that.
At this point we will just have to deal with the site and how it runs. If the membership drifts away and it dies off, then it will speed back up. If things get to a point that the site jsut dies in activity then I will sell it or close it!

sissywoods
10-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I hope that doesn't happen.
Clicking the adds at the bottom is a very easy thing to do. It's a matter of getting in the habit of doing it. Please help Tim help us out.