PDA

View Full Version : New Changes to the site, read is you post here

1yesfan
09-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Some things have changed.

If you want to do any thread subscribing or the like you now click on the THREAD OPTIONS link at the TOP of the thread, it's not longer a drop down box at the bottom of theads.

To get to ones profile just to PM or EMAIL them just click on there name when you see it in a thread.

These changes took place to help the site run a bit smoother. Yes its new but you will get the hang of it.

MOD/ADMIN, you wil see you admin tools up at the top of threads also.

JJGeers
09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Ok Tim,

We'll get over that!

Love,

Jasper

brotherofmine
09-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Some things have changed.

If you want to do any thread subscribing or the like you now click on the THREAD OPTIONS link at the TOP of the thread, it's not longer a drop down box at the bottom of theads.

To get to ones profile just to PM or EMAIL them just click on there name when you see it in a thread.

These changes took place to help the site run a bit smoother. Yes its new but you will get the hang of it.

MOD/ADMIN, you wil see you admin tools up at the top of threads also.
Tim on mine I click on THREAD TOOLS to get to subscribe, I don't have a thread options.

weebl
09-30-2004, 03:45 AM
I likes the menu when you click on peoples' names...

Michele
10-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Tim on mine I click on THREAD TOOLS to get to subscribe, I don't have a thread options.
You have to scroll down in that little Thread Tools menu to get to the subscribe option. It's there.

What I have now noticed is that the Google ads do NOT appear when Mozilla or Netscape are the browser. They only appear in Internet Explorer, and of course, that is a fate worse than death. (grins) I don't use IE if there is any other way, and as long as I can use some other browser to read the posts, I probably will.

The webmaster needs to de-bug the site in at least four browsers to make sure that the site is truly functional wherever it is viewed: Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, and IE. Until that happens, only IE users will be able to support the site by clicking on the google ads.

Additionally, the "latest posts" link, which has been changed, is pretty useless for me now. There are times when it may be a couple of days before I can get back over to this site to see what I have missed. But now I can only access the latest 100 posts, no matter what I click, and YF usually handles between 150 and 200 posts per 24 hour period... or at least, it used to. So that's a pretty useless function unless you just live at the forum anyway. This doesn't help those of us who can't come to the forum daily... or people who have internet access only at work and can't be here on the weekends -- (yes, there are some!)(grins).

I know that all of these changes are space-saving and money-saving efforts. And allegedly the site will move to a different server eventually. The new changes are not particularly good for me at all, and make the forum a lot less useful than it used to be. But I understand that this must be done... hopefully only temporarily.

In the meantime, there's not much I can do about the decreased functionality and lack of usefulness, except hope for better things in the future. Planning for the future should definitely include the reality that with YES on hiatus for about a year, YES-focused conversation will decrease, as will the trend toward new memberships. This happens at all of the sites when the band is not touring. So before making investments in bigger/better, it might be a good idea to watch how the lay of the land changes over the next four to six months.

Hoping for the best!

Michele

Dantalion Rides Again
10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't know where to post this question. This looks like as good a thread as any, and the question probably doesn't merit a thread of its own.

Question is: How come the width of the web pages now exceeds my monitor screen width? And is there something I can do to fix it? Every time I read a thread I've gotta scroll right to see the ends of sentences, and then scroll back left to see who's written the post!

yesrolfer
10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I don't know where to post this question. This looks like as good a thread as any, and the question probably doesn't merit a thread of its own.

Question is: How come the width of the web pages now exceeds my monitor screen width? And is there something I can do to fix it? Every time I read a thread I've gotta scroll right to see the ends of sentences, and then scroll back left to see who's written the post!

I was wondering the same thing!

pixiedave
10-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Mozilla Firefox, on my mac, windows and unix boxes show the google adds!
http://www.mozilla.org/firefox

Dances w/PURPLE
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
There are some really cool features now that have made the site so smooth. I like all of the AOL, IM and other access info near member names and avatars. Great idea.

I love all the cool new stuff for sale in the cafe ( my name for it ).

You know what it's time for? It's time to change our lovely colors! Let's take our logo and trip the lights fantastic into shades of JJ's signature line! Looks great and easy on the eyes and just plain fun to mix it up a bit.

My 02 cents.

1yesfan
10-07-2004, 07:57 PM
There was a WIDTH issue but it is fixed as far as I know. I have not seen any issues on my end when I loo at the site and I have a TINY screen!

Sheerah
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Um, no, the width issue isn't fixed.
It popped up about 4 days ago.

1yesfan
10-07-2004, 08:57 PM
try clearing out your cookies and history. We all see the same site, same database. I can see it fine so you all should be able too. I will check again though!

1yesfan
10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Every screen is too wide? Or just some of them?

1yesfan
10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
is it just the main body of the forums or even the stuff above, like the add boxes and that stuff up there?

1yesfan
10-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Try LOGGING OUT OF THE SITE, click on LOGOUT at the bottom right side of main forums page. Then close your browser then open it again then log back into the forums, after you have cleared cookies and the like!

Silent_wings
10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I have the same problem Tim

and no amonts of logging off and clearing the cookies is fixing it.

Scooty
10-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Ditto

GoD57
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I had the width problem on my desktop this morning, but is fine on my laptop now.

Bill

Sheerah
10-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Still having the problem.
The first thing to be wide is right on top, right next to where it says "Ads by Google" Right next to that, I have to scroll over to read "Click me to buy a". And then on the center of the next line, it says "mug".

Then the box where it says "Thread tools" "Search this thread" "Rate thread", well, that box extends beyond the forum boxes.

And the forum boxes themselves, start about 1 inch over from the left margin.

But the front page looks right. It's all the other forum pages that are off by an inch.

InverYes
10-08-2004, 04:21 AM
I don't have any width problems on either my work or home PC's. Does that not mean it must be some sort of setting on individual PC's rather than a site issue. Bearing in mind I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!

brotherofmine
10-08-2004, 04:49 AM
I have noticed the width problem recently to having to use my scroll bar.

weebl
10-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Are the ads going to be at the top permanently now? I mean, so people click them more often? I've clicked 3 or 4 times today.

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I fixed the google add. The mug link was wacked. But I am at work right now and all is ok for me here also. I have asked about this on the vbulletin support site, I have no clue why this is happening. I will find out though.

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Even messed with the screen resolutions on my pc, still looks fine here!

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Working now??? Added some code.

Dantalion Rides Again
10-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Nope. Again, the main page is fine, but it happens in the actual threads. I think.

** edit ** --> I just closed my browser, reopened it clearing all my history and temp files and all my cookies. Still having to scroll right to read posts.

yesrolfer
10-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Nope. Again, the main page is fine, but it happens in the actual threads. I think.

** edit ** --> I just closed my browser, reopened it clearing all my history and temp files and all my cookies. Still having to scroll right to read posts.

DITTO!!

InverYes
10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
This isn't much help I know but it's still fine for me.

InverYes
10-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Just out of interest what screen resolution are your PC's set to? Mine is working fine at 1024 x 768 ( I'm definitely straying out of my depth here !)

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Well it is a huge deal to me, ha ha ha. I want you all to see it correctly6. Does not make sense when we all see the same database but some see TOOO MUCH, ha ha ah.. I am tryign to get a resolution, get it RESOLUTION, to this issue. Hang in there folks.

JJGeers
10-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Same thing over here..

I looked at it in Explorer, netscape, both have the same result.Looked at my screen settings as well, nothing changed...

Love,

Jasper

brotherofmine
10-08-2004, 11:26 AM
I think avatar size changes as it slows down the site. Latest size is 60x60 pixels.

tardistraveler
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm also having the problem with scrolling to the right to see the entire post on the threads. It's a nuisance - hope it can be solved.

Thanks Tim for trying to help with this one - good luck! :kissme:

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 11:45 AM
For a regular member, the avatar size can be no larger then 75x75. You will need to purchase a account lvl1 to get a larger size (see sunscriptions link top right). I am sorry, I forgot to resize the current avatars listed on the site. I will correct that this weekend.

EMAIL ACCOUNTS are fixed now.

1yesfan
10-08-2004, 11:46 AM
if you have a avatar loaded that is bigger then 75x75 I would leave it. If you change it it will go ask for the default size for the type of account you have.