PDA

View Full Version : These steps were taken to speed up the site...

1yesfan
09-28-2004, 10:17 PM
First of all, are you clicking on the banner boxes at the bottom of the site pages? Please do so a few times a day. Do not hammer them though, if we spam it too much I could lose the function all together.

Ok, for those of you that have been on the site for awhile have noticed a slow down of the site in the last 6 weeks or so. This has happened in part due to some settings I had set on the site. It also happened just because we are larger now. More people on, more often. That is a good thing but the down side is that this site has always shared a server with other sites, smaller sites. In the last months we have picked up our usage of the server and it's resources. This has slowed things down for the site owners on the same server and they complained so the server owner had to put some caps on us, meaning that when we loaded down the server we had to wait our turn to get back to the front of the line so to speak. Please keep in mind that at one time we were on a server that had even more sites on it then what we have now. But we are now at our limit. The next step is to go to a dedicated server, hundreds of dollars a month, that we would share with just one other site. Start buyin gstuff from the shoppe, click on the adds at the bottom of the site if you want a better server down the road, sooner then later.
So here are some things that the server owner did for me and our site. You may see some things work a little diff now but that is what we will have to deal with for now. We will still have site slow downs, site not avail issues but hopefully they will only happen a few times a day now.
Here are the things done.....

1. Decreased the amount of search results displayed when searches are done. You had it at 1500 I turned it to 100. (that HUGE number I bet was part of what is killing your loads When a person searches the site it goes back and pulls up 1500 items. This is a huge increase of loads just to go back and keep searching to get up to that number of similar items)

2. Increase the time between searches being allowed for a member. You had it set to 2 seconds. I turned it to 60 seconds. This may be adjusted back down a hair!

3. Set up that non members can not use the search engine. I was able to search on your site as a guest.

4. Make it where non members can not get latest post search link.

5. Make it where non members can not get the Todays posts search link.

6. I turned down your cookie time out to 450 from 1900 it was at.

7. Change Who's Online Refresh Period to 0 so it does not refresh every 5 seconds you had it at. (This was causing the user list to refresh itself every 5 seconds for every user that is online viewing the site. So if 20 people are on 20 people are re-querying the site 20 times every 5 seconds for an updated user list.)

8. Changed Check Thread Subscription on page load to no. This is a system resource hog.

9. Turned off Show Users Browsing Threads. This is another resource Hog.

10. Turned off Show Users Browsing Forums. This is a bigger resource hog than the two above.

11. Turned off Automatic Similar Thread Search. This is a huge resource hog as well.

12. Turned avatars for non members. Only members can see the avatars now. This will help in dropping your bw as well.

14. Turned off Forum Jump for non members. This requires every forum to be queried and I saved those queries for members that are logged in.

These things should help us for the time being, I HOPE!

Thanks for your patience in these issues. Growing pains that takes money to fully get around them with, money that is not quite there yet.

Tim

1yesfan
09-28-2004, 10:22 PM
One other key thing, when the site is slow or stopped and you get page not displayed or not found or your just sitting there and nothing is moving but your still on the site, do not hit refresh multi times, maybe a few but my server owner, John, is able to see that we hit the refresh MANY TIMES when this slow downs happen thus adding more to the line of waiting. I know you want to keep moving and not wait. Maybe you could get up and get a drink of water or use the little boys/girls room and jsut let it load on it's own when it can. Ha ha ha ha. This should not happen much but when it does it would help if we don't hamemr the REFRESH button on our browsers.

Dances w/PURPLE
09-28-2004, 11:45 PM
does this include the back button? I use that instead of the refresh button.

Thanks for tweeking Tim. Your efforts are appreciating to make the site smoother.

1yesfan
09-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I believe the back takes you back to what you last viewed which is saved in your computer!

1yesfan
09-28-2004, 11:54 PM
If you notice that you go to the main page, then click on a forum, then go BACK, nothing changes unless you hit refresh. Back or Frwrd button on your browser just goes to a page that was save the step before on your brower. make sense?
So no that woudl not affect site performance.

tardistraveler
09-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your efforts Tim. I hope that the money becomes available to get the dedicated server.

Michele
09-29-2004, 11:36 AM
First of all, are you clicking on the banner boxes at the bottom of the site pages? Tim

What banner boxes? I'm not seeing them anywhere. All I have at the bottom of every page is a Google search function. No clickable boxes other than that. Where are they, please? I'd click 'em if I could find 'em.

Michele

Michele
09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
So here are some things that the server owner did for me and our site. Tim
Another question.

I can no longer subscribe to a thread. I don't see that option at the bottom of the conversation pages any more. That was a lovely convenience for someone as short on time as I am. Is it possible for that one function to be restored? I rely heavily on the email notices that I receive when new posts have been added to threads to which I have subscribed. It truly improved the quality of life. (grins)

Could we have that function back, please?

Michele

1yesfan
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
As I tyope this reply, I see an option to subscribw to the thread. Not sure what your seeing??
I will play some more, but please remember that some functions that were here were really slowing down the site, that is why they were turned off. I may turn on a few more if folks complain!

Another question.

I can no longer subscribe to a thread. I don't see that option at the bottom of the conversation pages any more. That was a lovely convenience for someone as short on time as I am. Is it possible for that one function to be restored? I rely heavily on the email notices that I receive when new posts have been added to threads to which I have subscribed. It truly improved the quality of life. (grins)

Could we have that function back, please?

Michele

umgekehrt
09-29-2004, 12:12 PM
The option to subscribe is at the bottom of the reply page.

1yesfan
09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
I am not sure what she was talkign about. I was able to see the subscribe option just fine. Where did you see this?

umgekehrt
09-29-2004, 12:27 PM
I see it alright Tim. I was just trying to help Michele find the subscribe option.