PDA

View Full Version : R U seeing site slow downs and erros?

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Are you seeing a lot of slow loading pages? Erros messages? Overall performance issues here? Let me know!

JaneEyre
09-20-2004, 07:14 PM
All the time!

Did you need something more specific?

brotherofmine
09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Yes tonight it is very bad.

cinderella
09-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes especially today.

JJGeers
09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Ehh, why are you asking Tim?..

Indeed the train is running slowly at times, but we understand those cows on the railway!!!!

Love,

Jasper.

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
just wondering if all having same issues I have been myself! Looking into a server change but means MUCH more $$ a month. MUCH MORE! Otherwise we are looking at dealing with these issues. I am looking at some OTHER ways to raise money for the site. NO POP UP ADDS!

Sheerah
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
The site was unavailable multiple times today.

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
There WAS a outage today that was not in mine or the server owner. The SWITCH that the server is on, the UPS it was on went dead and the backup UPS failed it primary taste, to BACKUP. ha ha ha!

deelovesyes
09-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Notice some threads that showed zero replies but when I clicked on them, I couldn't see the post.

Dee

soulsearcher
09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
yes, it is slow, and sometimes i can't get on, but the number one most frustrating thing to me is when i am trying to post, it logs me off.
so EVERY POST i make..i have to copy it, and then re-log on, go to the thread again and copy and post.
i used to post twice as much as this and write a lot more, but lately i find myself giving very short answers, andposting the minimum because of the effort involves to get a post on.
it used to happen sometimes, but now it happens almost every single time.

i am copying this post rightnow...just in case...

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Hummm I can take forever top post and I dont have issues.

soulsearcher
09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
i don't know whyyou and not me.
see if anyone else is geting logged off too.
i seem to remember someone telling me in a thread that the same thing was happening to them, so......
i have been thinking of caling in someone. like a computer expert, tolook at it and see if it is my computer somehow.

it's just so annoying! LOL!

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 09:37 PM
So what happens? Explain the process. You start a post/thread? If you take x amount of time you loose your info? What does the site say after you click submit?

soleil7
09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
i kept getting a message "server busy, try again later"...but so far thats the only problem ive had.

yessongs72
09-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Server busy and occassionaly take awhile to open a thread and I have cable. Other than that no problems. Oh why do some thread's reappear and they don't have a new post?

1yesfan
09-20-2004, 10:16 PM
"Oh why do some thread's reappear and they don't have a new post?"

If they have a poll and someone voted it will go to the front of the line!

Dantalion Rides Again
09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
I closed my browser several times today because I got frustrated waiting for pages to load.

It was any number of actions too - nothing in particular. Sometimes things happen immediately; other times I either get a server busy message, or even an occasional 'action cancelled' or 'cannot find server' message. I've lost a post or two, and like Denise I'm copying my posts before submitting because I don't trust it to work anymore.

Mainly though, it's a matter of waiting for a long while for any given page to load.

I've noticed a very definite increase in difficulty.

Tim, can you give a suggested donation scenario that would pay for this upgrade? Say, every active member shoots you ten bucks or something like that? Twenty? Whatever??

I think there's definately a problem. And I've got cable too; I know it's the site.

JaneEyre
09-20-2004, 11:37 PM
I closed my browser several times today because I got frustrated waiting for pages to load.

It was any number of actions too - nothing in particular. Sometimes things happen immediately; other times I either get a server busy message, or even an occasional 'action cancelled' or 'cannot find server' message. I've lost a post or two, and like Denise I'm copying my posts before submitting because I don't trust it to work anymore.

Mainly though, it's a matter of waiting for a long while for any given page to load.

I've noticed a very definite increase in difficulty.

Tim, can you give a suggested donation scenario that would pay for this upgrade? Say, every active member shoots you ten bucks or something like that? Twenty? Whatever??

I think there's definately a problem. And I've got cable too; I know it's the site.

Same here.

bdyescall
09-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I know I type slow, but, it seems that I get 2-3 minutes to reply or get cut off.
Been having to paste everything.
Still have to relog on when I'm already logged on!
I guess God is pist at me.

Amy
09-21-2004, 12:58 AM
VERY slow - for weeks now, and I have cable too.
No matter WHAT I try and do, I get stuck there!

On the positive, it's not always....just most of the time!

cinderella
09-21-2004, 01:01 AM
So what happens? Explain the process. You start a post/thread? If you take x amount of time you loose your info? What does the site say after you click submit?

In the past few days, many times when I make a post and click submit I get the grey box telling me to log in. I've logged in many times yesterday and today.

cinderella
09-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Okay that was weird. After I made my above post and clicked submit, I got the action cancelled page. I thought I would have to make my post over again, but it's here.

CARLO VAJAO
09-21-2004, 06:03 AM
yes it happened to me yesterday 4 times!!!and the posts were erased!!

InverYes
09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
TIME TO STIR THINGS UP A BIT HERE!

At the last count only 23 people had made a contribution to the site.

Are we going to see more than 23 complainers here?

Get stuck in eh?

JJGeers
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM

Get stuck in eh?

Don't think so.

I mean, when does someone actually complain? Just mentioning the errors is not a real complain to me.

And besides:

How can you expect YESFANS to complain?.... ;)

Love to you man...

JJ.

deelovesyes
09-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Get stuck in eh?

Well I don't know how accurate 23 is I am one who has donated more then once, but I am not listed as donateing.

Dee

Original_Shifty
09-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I haven't donated. Does that cast me as a second-class Yesfan? Should this bother me where this is going?

JJGeers
09-21-2004, 09:23 AM
I haven't donated. Does that cast me as a second-class Yesfan? Should this bother me where this is going?

No you're not! To me you are just a prime example of those excellent people here, remember that ok! Even if you haven't donated.

Perhaps you should keep in mind that every post is a donation in itself...

Hey, you know what?

Love, just love..

Jasper

InverYes
09-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Dee, you should let Tim know, he was inviting anybody who's profile hadn't been upated to get in touch.

Shifty, no way a 2nd class Yesfan. After all as Jasper says, posts are a type of donation. Far better than someone who donates a big wad of cash and then doesn't contribute any posts ( mmm, well, maybe an accountant would say not ).

Anyway,

why not make a donation?

23 ( 24 when Dee gets updated ) is scandalous give the number of fans registered.

Probably one of the (many) reasons I couldn't host a site like this is my view that if you don't feel that it merits a couple of pounds/dollars out of your pocket - don't complain if it's not to your liking.

Enthusiastic? Yes. Tactful and diplomatic? No way.

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 09:42 AM
I had made a post a few weeks ago asking for those that sent money in for donation to let me know. Dee I PM'ed you!

brotherofmine
09-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Dee, you should let Tim know, he was inviting anybody who's profile hadn't been upated to get in touch.

Shifty, no way a 2nd class Yesfan. After all as Jasper says, posts are a type of donation. Far better than someone who donates a big wad of cash and then doesn't contribute any posts ( mmm, well, maybe an accountant would say not ).

Anyway,

why not make a donation?

23 ( 24 when Dee gets updated ) is scandalous give the number of fans registered.

Probably one of the (many) reasons I couldn't host a site like this is my view that if you don't feel that it merits a couple of pounds/dollars out of your pocket - don't complain if it's not to your liking.

Enthusiastic? Yes. Tactful and diplomatic? No way.
Is same problem for me transferring money abroad I don't have an international credit card. It's same problem with the raffles and stuff.

InverYes
09-21-2004, 09:45 AM
It's a lot easier than that though. Nip down your local bank and get $10. Stick it in an envelope and post it. It works!

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Yea I realize the International stuff is hard to get around when it comes to money and donating!

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Tim Lutterbie
Yesfans
Po Box 42453
Blue Ash OH 45242
For checks or money orders!

Make payable to Tim Lutterbie or Yesfans. I now have a busn account for the site!

InverYes
09-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Oh dear, Tim. I've just realised that my persistent badgering here could put a different interpretation on your avatar. :)

I'll shut up now.

JJGeers
09-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh dear, Tim. I've just realised that my persistent badgering here could put a different interpretation on your avatar. :)

I'll shut up now.

:dog:

Love,

Jasper...

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
ha ha ha ha, don't see the next shot when the had is slapping !

JJGeers
09-21-2004, 09:57 AM
ha ha ha ha, don't see the next shot when the had is slapping !

I'm so sorrry guys.. I love this place SO MUCH.... Hahaha...

Love,

Jasper.

soulsearcher
09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
In the past few days, many times when I make a post and click submit I get the grey box telling me to log in. I've logged in many times yesterday and today.

exactly my problem.

soulsearcher
09-21-2004, 03:02 PM
also, i am a donating member, and i don't see that listed.
maybe i don't know where to look! LOL!

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Your lsited now. Sorry! i am so embarrassed at how many folks I missed in putting that they donated in their profiles. SORRY! I will say that some donations come in to me in check or paypal with no identity of who they are on the site. Those I can't post in profiles, I do not know who they are.

JJGeers
09-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Don't be sorry too much Tim.. You have a lot of work to do on this site just to keep it going...

But can I ask you something? When you are actually working on this site while we are all around, could that perhaps be a bit of the reason that the whole thing runs some slower? Just asking, no offense here of course!

Love,

Jasper

Jackaranda
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
It's been really slow lately. Not today though.

Dantalion Rides Again
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, today's been great! What's happened, Tim?? Drano?

Sheerah
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM

I'll shut up now.

:lmao:

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I did not do anything it. My working/fiddling on the site does not slow it down. Perhaps all my hounding over the last days of my server owner got him to fiddle on his end to see if anything was up. WHO KNOWS.

cinderella
09-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Yeah, today's been great! What's happened, Tim?? Drano?

Oh Kevin......you're hilarious. I almost fell off my chair laughing. :lmao:

Get stuck in eh?

Oh no I'm not complaining. I just answered Tim's question about what was happening when we tried to post.

And I did contribute several weeks ago and just now.

bdyescall
09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I just logged on and read 3-4 posts and didn't post anything!
Had to visit the facility.Came back and had to log on again!!--4 minutes!--Yup!--God must be pist!!

1yesfan
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Are you guys that are having to log in all the time behind a firewall or some type of software that watches your connection to sites, if your sit too long it cuts you off for security reasons?

cinderella
09-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Are you guys that are having to log in all the time behind a firewall or some type of software that watches your connection to sites, if your sit too long it cuts you off for security reasons?

Yes I have a firewall, but normally everything is okay here. Yesterday and Sunday I had to log in quite a bit, but I've been fine today.

JaneEyre
09-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Is the site incredibly slow today for anyone else, or is it Comcast?

ANTIOCH
09-22-2004, 02:50 PM
It's s - l - o - w !

JaneEyre
09-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Maybe it's just us. Should we put on our boots?

Sheerah
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Server is busy.
Server is busy.
Server is busy.

Chug - chug - chug.............

Glugg.

A
--R
----G
------H

ANTIOCH
09-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's just us. Should we put on our boots?

Mine are on Jane and I'm a' walkin' !!

JaneEyre
09-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Mine are on Jane and I'm a' walkin' !!

And that's just what they'll do!

LMAO!

All right.....back on topic....

JJGeers
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
I think the Google ads on every page plays a part as well.

Anyone: Correct me if I'm wrong ok?

Every time you skip to another page the server has to pick up an ad as well.
If there are a lot members changing pages, the ads server has to keep up with that which might cause part of the trouble. I don't know if that just has to do with bandwith at all...

Tim, is there a need and desperate need to have them on the site? Maybe if you could skip these you would at least have something less to worry about that...

Love,

Jasper.

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
The google stuff is not the issue. That stuff is not on my server. I jsut put them on last night anyway. These slow issues have been around for a month or so now.

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I went into my site settings and adjusted a few things, lets see what it does for the speed of the site.

JJGeers
09-22-2004, 05:42 PM
I went into my site settings and adjusted a few things, lets see what it does for the speed of the site.

Ok, if you prefer Tim, I'll skip my last post here. No worries!

Love,

Jasper.

ANTIOCH
09-22-2004, 05:43 PM
It seems to be helping Tim.

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 05:44 PM
The site is runnign smooth for me at the moment and it's got 35+ folks on it. Usally is boggs down well below that!

JJGeers
09-22-2004, 05:45 PM
It seems to be helping Tim.

For sure! Only thing to me is that I get this thank you for posting message every time...

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Thank you?

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Yea I see the thank you page also. Must have tuned it on today when I was playing with the settings.

JJGeers
09-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Yea I see the thank you page also. Must have tuned it on today when I was playing with the settings.

Haha... No problem! Every time i see it I just want to type 'Don't Mention it!' somewhere...

Love,

Jasper.

InverYes
09-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I know, what a polite site !

Sheerah
09-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I get that window when I am posting or sending a PM.
I'd love to see that removed.
It's a tad annoying.
Of course, overly polite can be annoying.

JJGeers
09-22-2004, 08:37 PM
I get that window when I am posting or sending a PM.
I'd love to see that removed.
It's a tad annoying.
Of course, overly polite can be annoying.

So I'm a pretty nasty devil to you then? (grins)

Love,

Jasper.

Orbert
09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I was gonna suggest those rather unobtrusive ads along the bottom of each page that we went to on another board I visit a lot. The site admin got them hooked up and made a big announcement, asking everyone to click on them all, once per day. I think there's some kind of thing where it only counts once per IP per day or something, but it all adds up, everyone did it, and the month's bill was covered in like 2 or 3 days.

Then I noticed that they're already down there!

People here are cool. Make an announcement asking everyone to click on them, and click they will. I don't know exactly how it works, but apparently the ad people will pay for the number of clicks that go through, even if people leave right after that. They don't care; they just want the clicks. Even if it's a fraction of a cent per click, they add up, and that's what pays the bills. If and when you start coming out ahead, upgrade the server or ISP service, things get even better, and so on... and so on... and so on...

Orbert

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I jsut put up the GOOGLE ADDS at the bottom of the site pages. Yes all you have to do is CLICK on them. That is it. I get paid for every click they track. They can tell somehow if your click spamming, so just do it once a day or so.
The add stuff is pretty cool. Google crawls the site and will set adds to be dispalyed basded on what it see's on the site. It is TEXTdriven. I am starting to see ads for DVD/MOVIES showing on the add bar in the Yes DVD/VHS area. In the sports forum I am seeing sports adds. It's pretty cool. So CLICK AWAY FOLKS!

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 11:33 PM
As for the thank you notes after posts, I most have turnd that on by mistake today. I will retrace my steps and turn that off. I did bump up the time between posts one must wait be4 posting again. It was 30 seconds, I bumped it to 45 or so. Maybe that message is there now to kill time, I don't know. I figured if I bumped that time up it would slow down folks a little and alow the site to run faster. It appears to have worked.

1yesfan
09-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Well maybe not, it jsut took me a good 8 mintues to get back on the site. Arrrrrrrrrrg

cinderella
09-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I like the cute little note that comes up when you give someone reputation points. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/swoon.gif