PDA

View Full Version : EVERY1 READ THIS PLEASE-- OK, the deal with the site being down so much!

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 09:37 AM
If you have been on this site any amount of time you realize we have a lot fo new members coming on every day. When they come on the check out a ton of stuff on the site. Old threads, old pics, etc. That is great and I welcome that. The down side to that is that when they do look at that stuff if HAMMERS me on bandwidth (usage). That is why in part the site kept going down of late. For the short term I am moving some larger threads/threads with pics off the site until things can be adjusted.
Since day one this site has been free to use and will remain that way. I have always had the site set to pretty much allow any MEMBER to post pics, download pics of any size they want. Well those days are going away. We are too big now. Size DOES MATTER, ha ha ha.
The site has been closed, for some time, off to non members or members not signed in so the USAGE is not from non members viewing the site.
I ASK, PLEASE PLEASE HELP the usage issues by posting smaller pics, using smaller avatars.
I will be setting limits on sizes of these itesms soon. I will be setting post limits that must be made before you can post pics to the site now. There will be more things changed as I can do it. I will post those settings here. SOme of it will be via trial and error, so don't be alarmed if something changes you thinks its wrong. I may change again.
Folks we are big time now and we now have big time issues to address and fix to keep the site running smoothly.
It's a great time to be a Yesfan!

Tim

SallyKhatru
06-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Hope everything will turn out to be good. You'll do the right thing. May everything run smoothly again soon. You have my faith and best wishes Tim.
Good idea to limit the size of pictures and stuiff. That doesn't harm anybody.

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 09:57 AM
I have never had to play with size limits so IWARN YOU ALL NOW, I will make changes that will be too much at first and will try to ajust them back out a little to get them to a decent place. Size of attchmnts for instance.

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 09:57 AM
For now, until the end of the month no one is allowed to download stuff to the site.

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 10:06 AM
or upload images...

Also. Any new members to the site, as of this post will have to go into their USERCP to set the option to see avatars or images on the site. That had always been automatic. Now you have to go in and turn it on yourself, FOR NOW anyways!

mood for today
06-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Mr Tim. Thank You From The Bottom Of My (and I Assume All Yesfans) Heart For All The Hard Work And Time You Put Into This Site. You 'da Best!!

Amy
06-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Mr Tim. Thank You From The Bottom Of My (and I Assume All Yesfans) Heart For All The Hard Work And Time You Put Into This Site. You 'da Best!!

I second that....and whatever is involved with increasing the bandwidth, please let us know. I'm sure there are many of us who would be willing to help speed it up....myself included.

Bugeyes
06-26-2004, 11:52 AM
You have my vote of confidence, Tim. No worries, love. :angel:

BlueEagle
06-26-2004, 12:10 PM
I also think the printing of long articles from news and other sources is unnecessary. Posters should post a short summary of the article and the link. I have even seen other posters quoting the article in their following posts. this is totally unnecessary.

cinderella
06-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Good luck Tim in getting everything straightened out. We all love this site and whatever you need to do to keep it going, I know everyone will cooperate.
Thanks for all your hard work.

~Cindy

leqin
06-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Thinks.... poor Tim..... poor old Tim.... shrug sigh :crybby:

I think we all need to pause for a moment and think about poor old Tim.... yeah I know he's thinking hey less of the old thankyou very much, but even so poor old Tim - yer a brave guy Tim thats all I can say.

Thinks -every website I've ever visited at which things like this became a issue.... poor old Tim hey... some people are going to make the most nasty spiteful statements.... some azsholes bound to start the 'my avatar isn't big enough' millarky and then they'll start argueing about one darned pixle and then it will stab in the back time.... and then there'll be the burks who start pointless threads and make pointless posts.... and all the time the one person who'll get all the hassle will be..... poor old Tim.

Tim - you have all my support - can I suggest that when the azshole starts the 'my avatar isn't big enough' milarky then do what I'd do and cut their avatar to shreds and chuck it in the bin.

Sheerah
06-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Size DOES MATTER, ha ha ha.

Tim

That's always the case!

If you folks really want to help out Tim and Yesfans, I urge you all to donate to the site through PayPal!

pixiedave
06-26-2004, 05:04 PM
and whatever is involved with increasing the bandwidth, please let us know. I'm sure there are many of us who would be willing to help speed it up....myself included.
you do not speed up bandwidth, you buy more. There is nothing you ar any yesfan can do except not post irrelevant stuff, pictures and attachments. Quoting large posts is also wasteful. The way it works, is that you rent space on a server. with the contract you purchase a certain amount of bandwidth. there may be hundreds of sites on the same server, each has its alloted bandwidth.. For instance, i had to rent a server because comcast caught me running one of there network. My package consists of 100megabytes of discspace and 10 gigibytes of bandwidth. As soon as people click on or "download" 10 gigs worth of webpages, my bandwidht is used up and i either have to wait for the next month for the site to work again, or i can buy a larger contract and get more discspace and more bandwidth. Its like you have a well in your backyard, and every month you get 100 gallons. Once the 100 gallons are used up than no more untill next month, and no caryover from the last month. If discspace was the issue and it was full, you woyld not be able to post and the site would more than likely stop working. So in order to help, the only thing we as yesfans can do is limit postings and attachments, and give old tim some greenbacks to buy nmore bandwidth.

Don't know tim or exactly how yesfans is hosted, so this is general information and may not specifically apply to yesfans.

RJE
06-26-2004, 05:17 PM
A quick note....text posts take very little bandwidth while high res jpgs take hugh amounts. As an experiment take a high res pic that you have and note the actual file size. Now go to your word processer and create a document. Filll the first page with X's and then cut and past the page to make additional pages. Every so often, save, keep document history off for this, and check the size. How many pages do you need to reach the size of your hi res pic?

Michele
06-26-2004, 05:34 PM
you do not speed up bandwidth, you buy more. There is nothing you ar any yesfan can do except not post irrelevant stuff, pictures and attachments. .

Very true.

I'd like to see a lot fewer posts counting down the days until a particular show happens, or the posts that consist of nothing but "Me, too!!" (grins)

I know everyone gets excited and wants to share their joy. But boy! Does it ever clutter up the threads sometimes! ...and my email box when I am subscribed to a thread to be notified by email when a new post comes in.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and I understand if people don't want to limit themselves to just "essential" information posts... especially when friendly conversation is the objective.

But if we are faced with an increase in fees for more bandwidth, or possible subscriber fees, it might be good to ask, "Do I really need to send this?" before clicking "submit." Maybe a lot of this could be handled in private email.

Just another two cents on the table. Love you all!

Michele
YesServices
http://www.yesservices.com

Silent_wings
06-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah sure a lot of things could be handled in private emails
BUT then we wouldn't be a family.
I wouldn't know what was going on in peoples lives.
I would never have met my best friends.

IMHO The way to help isn't limiting posts.
It is as Sheila said donating to the site.
There are so many of us if each of us did it would really help.

How many of you have bought tickets for the raffle?
Do you all have Yesfans shirts and hats?

brotherofmine
06-26-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree about jpegs and avatars taking up alot of space. I also have an additional suggestion. I notice there are some threads that have not been added to for ages sometimes as much as a year. I appreciate that new members to sites by leaving the thread open will get the chance to see what has been discussed previously and even contribute to reawaken what was a dead discussion. However, I would ask where bandwidth is vital can we afford to leave some threads idle for months or years so that new members get the chance to read them?
There is also only so much that new members can read through.
I propose setting a time limit, if there is no new post on that topic after a period of time (eg. three months) then it goes.

RJE
06-26-2004, 07:09 PM

I agree that limiting posts would destroy the community spirit of the site. I think information threads can be dedicated as they were for the last series of dates and users asked not to post irrelevant stuff to address Michelle's concerns. I think it worked reasonably well last time around.

As to raffles and t-shirsts....5 raffle tickets...2 shirts....hoping to win the hat :D

Seriously, while very nice, raffles and t-shirts are not going to cut it for serious fund raising......

I have a proposal

1) Tim, you do an assesment of what it will cost to run the site for the next year, given growth patterns and allowing for all pics. I KNOW it will be an estimate and all kinds of things can affect it but it is a starting point for what I am going to propose next.

2) We hold a three month internetathon to raise enough money to reach this goal.

3) An IN YOUR FACE STICKY at the top not botton of the main page be used to announce and monitor this fundrive.

4) Tim updates, approximately weekly, the amount donated, so all can see how far we are from the overall goal.

Let me know what everyone thinks...... Kinda like those irritating PBS telethons that we all hate but bring us good stuff.....:)

Dances w/PURPLE
06-26-2004, 07:10 PM

I have to agree with Kathy here. We wouldn't be a family and that is what makes our site so popular. We don't squelch and sensor freedom of speech (unless it's flaming) and if we start saying "don't post pictures, don't say anything that's short ( what would the word limit be on that?) and so on...the better solution is to support the site! If you use it, enjoy it, pitch in.

Paypal is accepted which is fantastic!

Amy
06-26-2004, 08:22 PM
So in order to help, the only thing we as yesfans can do is limit postings and attachments, and give old tim some greenbacks to buy nmore bandwidth.

Yes, this is what I meant. Speed up the process of buying more bandwidth. See, I try to sum it up in few words. What RJE spelled out in more detail is what I meant. Raise the money needed for buying more bandwidth from all of us Yesfans. Asking for donations does not tell us how much is needed. I thought maybe by telling us how much is needed and seeing how many people are willing to contribute to solving the problem, might speed it up a bit. Thank you Roland.
And I too agree with Kathy. If I want to post "Me too", then that's what I am going to post. Especially that I don't download pictures and articles every 5 minutes. I certainly don't have a LOT of money to give, but if enough people were willing to solve the problem, it would not take a lot of money from any one person.

ycantibu
06-26-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a suggestion for those who post pictures, etc. Get an account with a free website, like yahoo [not angelfire, who does not allow hyperlinking to photos] and download your pictures to that site and then post the link to them there. That may help out some as well.

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Everyone please keep posting as usal. I don't want to change that. I jsut need to do some fine tuning on things. Cuttign back on the sixe limit for images, talking away avatar priv's to the newbies (must hit a post amount to earn one). There are some things I can do to help us some. We are just plain old growing and we are using more bandwidth. It was and is still my hope that I can keep the site free all together and make the funs to help pay for it thru raffles, and shoppe sales. I have a site I have joined, yet to set up tho, that one can buy all kinds of Yesfans.com logo'd stuff. I hope to have that up in the next month or so. I have to set a few things and buy them for myself to see if they are any good.

playeriivis
06-26-2004, 10:23 PM
1) Tim, you do an assesment of what it will cost to run the site for the next year, given growth patterns and allowing for all pics. I KNOW it will be an estimate and all kinds of things can affect it but it is a starting point for what I am going to propose next.

2) We hold a three month internetathon to raise enough money to reach this goal.

3) An IN YOUR FACE STICKY at the top not botton of the main page be used to announce and monitor this fundrive.

4) Tim updates, approximately weekly, the amount donated, so all can see how far we are from the overall goal.

Let me know what everyone thinks...... Kinda like those irritating PBS telethons that we all hate but bring us good stuff.....:)

I agree. Right now, donating is guesswork. If we knew how much is needed, it would be easier to decide how much to donate. I'm brand new here, but I love this site. I had to guess a good donation amount. There needs to be some way of gauging how much is needed.

I think an internetathon is a great idea. It has to have that "in your face sticky" like Roland suggested. I don't think that this will scare off new members. It didn't scare me off at all. Once I got in here, I found some of the nicest people on Earth. If new members stick around just a little while, they will get hooked just like I did and be glad to help.

Pam

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Right now based on this months Bandwidth usage that I am now set at it would cost 840 to run the site for a year. Then I would add another 200-400 (guestimate) bucks that I pay extra for times that the server owner does things for me that I can not which I pay him hourly for those services. 20 bucks a year for the .com rights. Then all the time I put into the site monitoring it, doing the leg work on emails for help with this or that. How do I put a price on that stuff? For the first 2 years of this site I was putting in 40 hours a week easy just working it. It is not that much now but still there non the less. When the site was small I did not mind doing all that and still do not. One just needs to understand what I have on my hands here. Ha ha ha. A GREAt thing but does take work. I have to be in touch with the site everyday so things like this usage problem are caught right away and dealt with as fast as possible. I always took pride int his site being as great has it has and get upset when it is down like it has been. It means a lot to you all and to me!
My wish now is for ths site to be the Best Yes site out there. The best BAND site out there. We have the greatest souls that follow this band. The sky is the limit for us here. I want Yes, when they walk off the stage one last time and think off all they have done come to us and say, "look at that site, it rocks!" "All that for us?"

1yesfan
06-26-2004, 10:37 PM
My wife just had a great idea of a SPLIT the pot raffle. Site gets half, and a winner gets the other! If you are not comfy with Paypal I do take checks and MO payments.

yesrolfer
06-26-2004, 10:39 PM
This is a great family! Here is what I have done. I have a yesfans T-Shirt and bumper sticker. I have purchased raffle tickets. I made a donation to the operating fund on Friday. I'm sure there are many others as least willing to do as much.
I feel the concern and I am sure the donations are up a bit this week, at least I think they should be.
Lot's of other idea's in the other posts are well worth considering.
I think Tim does a hell of a good job, and I would hate to see this site change too much in regards to the limiting of posts. I agree that avatar size should be limited and also the amount and size of attachments.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Amy
06-26-2004, 11:02 PM
My wife just had a great idea of a SPLIT the pot raffle. Site gets half, and a winner gets the other! If you are not comfy with Paypal I do take checks and MO payments.

I think that's a great idea. When can we start it?

RJE
06-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Right now based on this months Bandwidth usage that I am now set at it would cost 840 to run the site for a year. Then I would add another 200-400 (guestimate) bucks that I pay extra for times that the server owner does things for me that I can not which I pay him hourly for those services. 20 bucks a year for the .com rights. Then all the time I put into the site monitoring it, doing the leg work on emails for help with this or that. How do I put a price on that stuff? For the first 2 years of this site I was putting in 40 hours a week easy just working it. It is not that much now but still there non the less. When the site was small I did not mind doing all that and still do not. One just needs to understand what I have on my hands here. Ha ha ha. A GREAt thing but does take work. I have to be in touch with the site everyday so things like this usage problem are caught right away and dealt with as fast as possible. I always took pride int his site being as great has it has and get upset when it is down like it has been. It means a lot to you all and to me!
My wish now is for ths site to be the Best Yes site out there. The best BAND site out there. We have the greatest souls that follow this band. The sky is the limit for us here. I want Yes, when they walk off the stage one last time and think off all they have done come to us and say, "look at that site, it rocks!" "All that for us?"

So lets say $3500 as a donation goal, if every frequent visitor donated $10 dollars we would be there in no time.....

I say internetathon with a $3500 goal in three months!!

tardistraveler
06-27-2004, 12:00 AM
OK - I'll start off our Internet-A-Thon with a $50 donation. I figure that ought to cover the 2 years I've been posting like crazy out here! Just finished my PayPal transaction, so Tim, be looking for it!

I would hate to see serious restrictions on our posting. This site means a lot to me - it IS like family and I have made dear friends here. I don't want it to change - sometimes it's just fun to post in tandem and have conversation with someone - part of that friendly atmosphere that we DO have here.

Thanks Tim for your commitment to this place, and thanks to all who make it fun out here!

RJE
06-27-2004, 12:14 AM
OK - I'll start off our Internet-A-Thon with a $50 donation. I figure that ought to cover the 2 years I've been posting like crazy out here! Just finished my PayPal transaction, so Tim, be looking for it!

I would hate to see serious restrictions on our posting. This site means a lot to me - it IS like family and I have made dear friends here. I don't want it to change - sometimes it's just fun to post in tandem and have conversation with someone - part of that friendly atmosphere that we DO have here.

Thanks Tim for your commitment to this place, and thanks to all who make it fun out here!

I will match that contribution by snail mail.......... Lets get this started!!

only $3400 to go....

playeriivis
06-27-2004, 12:19 AM
I will match that contribution by snail mail.......... Lets get this started!!

only $3400 to go....

I will match as well. Pay Pal

$3350 to go.

Amy
06-27-2004, 12:21 AM
I'll go with $20.
Snail mail too!

brotherofmine
06-27-2004, 04:49 AM
How about a collection at Oxford gig for yesfans.com website? The concert is a charity event anyway, so anyone who could spare the price of a couple of beers for the fan site what do you all think? TM?
I mention this cause I only have a debit card that can be used in UK. I avoid using credit cards but means cannot transfer money internationally.
PS Also for selfish reasons I don't want to lose my newly gained Avatar!

Serious Dreamer
06-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Maybe you should do away with some of the less frequently used forums here. We have a forum for almost everything, it seems. Maybe that's too much as well?

Just a thought......

1yesfan
06-27-2004, 08:46 AM
SInce the funds appear to be on the way in for those that are wondering, check or MO written to Tim Luterbie PO BOX 42453, BLUE ASH OHIO, 45242.
Thanks for all the effort guys and gals. The appears to be several ways to chip in if your poor like me, ha ha ha.

Amy
06-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Tim - the check I mailed for the raffle was made out to Yesfans. I should have questioned you then. If that doesn't work, you can tear it up and I'll tack an extra $10 on this weeks check.

playeriivis
06-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Since this is the INTERNETATHON for now, it's good to keep it on top. OK. I'll play Betty White at a PBS pledge drive for the moment.....

Goal was $3500

Four donations so far totaling $170.00 and Brotherofmine will maybe have something going across the pond....

Now we're down to $3330

Make checks or money orders payable to:
Tim Luterbie PO BOX 42453, BLUE ASH OHIO, 45242

Or use Pay Pal by clicking on donate at the top of the page.

Thoughtbecontact
06-27-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm going to chime in with what I mentioned to Tim in another thread on Friday. For those of you who will have pre-shows in the fall, figure out some kind of raffle, make the donation small enough for everyone to participate and you've got a nice little fundraiser. Even $100 per event is something. $100x10 events is $1,000. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Thoughtbecontact
06-27-2004, 12:08 PM
OK, I have a question regarding how I can view photos now. tim says we have to go through our User CP to turn it on? Well, it says in my User CP that this option is turn on, yet I still can't view photos and I want to pull some photos off the Masses' Yestopia thread because some of Total's are better than mine.

HELP!!!!!

RJE
06-27-2004, 12:12 PM
OK, I have a question regarding how I can view photos now. tim says we have to go through our User CP to turn it on? Well, it says in my User CP that this option is turn on, yet I still can't view photos and I want to pull some photos off the Masses' Yestopia thread because some of Total's are better than mine.

HELP!!!!!

think it is turned off until the first of July...

r

RJE
06-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Some additional thoughts on this internetathon.....

1) Any donation large or small is welcome and will add to reaching the goal.

2) People shouldn't think they need to post how much they are going to contribute. Hopefully Tim can update us on how much has come in periodically. After all, as any fundraiser knows...it is not how much is pledged but what actually comes in :D. However, it would be nice if people could simply post that they donated. This will keep the thread active and near the top.

3) All types of fundraising....indivdual donations, raffles and gathering collections are important and will help reach the goal. This isn't a substitute for those but hopefully a way of tracking what comes in to reach the overall goal.

4) The reason I started this is that I believe that in any endeavor....having a clear goal to achieve makes it much more likely that that endeavor is successful. Even if we don't reach the final goal...I think it adds momentum and focus to the process.

5) Finally, Tim has clearly donated more than everyone in so many ways. Now its our turn to reciprocate!!!!

Thoughtbecontact
06-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Well said, Roland.

I for one don't like the idea of people feeling obligated to post how much they donated. What I donate may not be what someone else is able to do, and no one should feel that what they contribute is not sufficient. Some very dedicated individuals here may not have the means to do much. Yet it is important for this thread to keep running, so when I get a chance, my check will be in the mail too.

1yesfan
06-28-2004, 06:11 AM
I will turn on the images first of the month, maybe a day sooner. Hang in there folks.

leqin
06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
I will turn on the images first of the month, maybe a day sooner. Hang in there folks.

Sorry and I know this wastes bandwidth, but I just had to say it before someonelse did....

Master of Images
Your post cast's a light on you :)

brotherofmine
06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
LOL......Brilliant Leqin...oops! More bandwidth gone!

RJE
06-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Careful.....the weed police have a new department called the bandwidth division. Their motto "If you don't weed your weed, you can't have any bandwidth" :D

tardistraveler
06-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Careful.....the weed police have a new department called the bandwidth division. Their motto "If you don't weed your weed, you can't have any bandwidth" :D

"How can you have any bandwidth if you don't weed your weed? . . . " :D

Sheerah
06-28-2004, 05:03 PM
We don't need no education.

(Hey, I've lost my PayPal password. And they won't let me set up another account because I am using the same email address. Therefore, until I find that dang piece of paper that has my password on it, or until I get the right combo, my donation will have to be on hold.)

Actually, I think it has been less than a year since I've donated. So, come on folks, help us to raise our goal!!!

1yesfan
06-28-2004, 06:09 PM
cant you have your password sent thru email on Paypal?

1yesfan
06-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Hell if we jsut had the active folks and those that jsut visit but not post do one raffle ticket that would go a long ways and you get something in return that way, well a chance anyways. Hell me and the wife went to a car show this weekend. She won a 25 dollar gift cert and I won a gas grill.

cinderella
06-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I donated yesterday, I hope it helps. :valintine

Dances w/PURPLE
06-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Hell if we jsut had the active folks and those that jsut visit but not post do one raffle ticket that would go a long ways and you get something in return that way, well a chance anyways. Hell me and the wife went to a car show this weekend. She won a 25 dollar gift cert and I won a gas grill.

Wow Tim you must've rubbed her belly!

pianozach
07-27-2004, 04:24 PM

Thank you!

Dantalion Rides Again
07-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Thank you!
Yeah, me too Tim.

As much as everyone here appreciates you, it's still never too much to say thanks one more time. This is a community that hangs together because of your (and dave's, and the mods') efforts and time. Can't imagine no Yesfans!

So thanks very much for all your time and energy.

Simon B
08-09-2004, 08:15 AM
If you have been on this site any amount of time you realize we have a lot fo new members coming on every day. When they come on the check out a ton of stuff on the site. Old threads, old pics, etc. That is great and I welcome that. The down side to that is that when they do look at that stuff if HAMMERS me on bandwidth (usage). That is why in part the site kept going down of late. For the short term I am moving some larger threads/threads with pics off the site until things can be adjusted.
Since day one this site has been free to use and will remain that way. I have always had the site set to pretty much allow any MEMBER to post pics, download pics of any size they want. Well those days are going away. We are too big now. Size DOES MATTER, ha ha ha.
The site has been closed, for some time, off to non members or members not signed in so the USAGE is not from non members viewing the site.
I ASK, PLEASE PLEASE HELP the usage issues by posting smaller pics, using smaller avatars.
I will be setting limits on sizes of these itesms soon. I will be setting post limits that must be made before you can post pics to the site now. There will be more things changed as I can do it. I will post those settings here. SOme of it will be via trial and error, so don't be alarmed if something changes you thinks its wrong. I may change again.
Folks we are big time now and we now have big time issues to address and fix to keep the site running smoothly.
It's a great time to be a Yesfan!

Tim

Thought this advice was so good, it needed repeating!

Thanks for the hard work Tim, we do appreciate it you know!

TM

tardistraveler
08-09-2004, 08:36 AM
So Tim, how are we doing on donations? Does someone need to make another appeal?

soulsearcher
08-09-2004, 08:59 AM
just donated..it was easy!

i recommend it to anyone! LOL!