PDA

View Full Version : Weed out the non-users?

Simon B
06-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Dear All

I have been an evangalist for this site recently, and am very pleased that members reads over 6000, however, when you click on the members tag some of these people just don't contribute to our site.

I was sitting by a lovely lady (Jane) at the NEC gig and she said she had registered, but that was a long time ago and she had forgotten her log in password (I know Tim can remind you, but you see where I am going with this...)

I was gutted yesterday to be unable to log in because Tim had exceeded his / her Bandwith (ooer, sounds painful!). Knocking off some old members and even threads should free up some space here?

I'm not sure what maintenance is done already, but I'd just like the chatty people to be on the site - the other folk can just visit?

Total Mass

Mr. Holland
06-24-2004, 06:31 AM
Sounds like an idea to me. Maybe it is an idea (and in all honesty, since I do not no anything about maintaing an internetsite and whether the following is alot of work or not) to send to those who haven't been on the site for say 6 months a notification through e-mail, that when they do not log in to the site within a certain amount of time, their membership will be cancelled and in a friendly way ofcourse......that way people have a choice....

Suzy
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
I think that if you were to do this it would have to be on the basis that the person hasnt logged on for something like 6 months or something. I dont think you should base it on the number of posts compared to someone that posts everyday as not everyone has the time to chat on here all the time. But those who hardly ever use it could have their membership cancelled - its only the same as email acoounts. That frees up space for people who do want to use the site on a regualr basis.

pixiedave
06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
bandwith refers to the amount of data being served from the site. this means that everytime you click on a link at yesfans, you are downloading the webpage. Each page adds up to the total bandwith. The people who do not post are not responsible, only people that use the site use bandwith. so your idea might declutter the databases, it would however, have no affect on bandwith being exceeded. Hard drive space is not really the issue.\cheers dave

InverYes
06-24-2004, 09:32 AM
We could then become the first fascist music-based site on the web!

Bit harsh don't you think? Would probably be more work than it's worth. Can't see any harm in leaving it as it is if it doesn't adversely affect the site.

gathernear
06-24-2004, 09:32 AM
There are many names that have 0 (zero) posts. They're taking up space on our member roster, and they took all the cool names! I was trying to change mine and I had a heck of a time finding one. I voted yes.

Larry

Mr. Holland
06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
We could then become the first fascist music-based site on the web!

Bit harsh don't you think? Would probably be more work than it's worth. Can't see any harm in leaving it as it is if it doesn't adversely affect the site.

Sorry, but I resent the "fascist" comment. Bit harsh, don't you think?!
I am a manager at a videoshop. There we apply this principal. We "clean" our system once ore twice a year. Customers who haven't been renting out for 1 1/2 year or more are cleared out. Their names, adresses, renting history etc. take up space in the computer without it serving any purpose. People may have moved, lost interest or whatever. I am not saying that we should weed out people who do not post, but if people haven't been logging on to this site for more then six months, I think it's only fair to weed them out after, as I said earlier, they've been notified through an e-mail and don't respond to that.........

custom55
06-24-2004, 11:20 AM
New members with zero posts should be removed after 60 days.
Just my .02

Jonah
06-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Knocking off some old members...should free up some space here?

Total Mass a gangsta!! I would never have thought it! And how old ? I'm only 42, can I be spared ?

:D

I vote for a clear out if it helps administer the site.

RJE
06-24-2004, 12:11 PM
I think a more gentle weed-out would work. Send the non-users, however you define it an email asking whether they want to stay on the site every six months. They can respond either by a post or return email. If they don't respond within a month, they are history. This way, no one is forced to post or forced off the site, but would get rid of the dead accounts.

mood for today
06-24-2004, 12:25 PM
it certainly would pare down the "today's birthdays" list.

InverYes
06-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry, but I resent the "fascist" comment. Bit harsh, don't you think?!
I am a manager at a videoshop. There we apply this principal. We "clean" our system once ore twice a year. Customers who haven't been renting out for 1 1/2 year or more are cleared out. Their names, adresses, renting history etc. take up space in the computer without it serving any purpose. People may have moved, lost interest or whatever. I am not saying that we should weed out people who do not post, but if people haven't been logging on to this site for more then six months, I think it's only fair to weed them out after, as I said earlier, they've been notified through an e-mail and don't respond to that.........

Harsh? Maybe, but let's keep this site user friendly, with the emphasis on the "friendly".

If Tim has a problem with too many members listed, he'll know how to sort it out.

soulsearcher
06-24-2004, 01:13 PM
i'm with rje..a very gentle weed out.
and only for people who haven' t posted at all for a certain amount of time. i honestly don't think that a year is too long, but 6 months would do if they can recieve an e-mail. some people just like to come on in and check out what's going on, and like to read, and do not like to post. that's ok by me. let them respond to the question, it's the only fair way.
to boot some people because thay took cool names..well, we're only using 10% of out brain's capacity, maybe we should think a little harder.LOL!

Sheerah
06-24-2004, 08:26 PM
As Pixiedave explained, reducing the membership will not reduce the bandwidth. Here are a few things that hog bandwidth:

(1) Quoting the previous posts, especially the very long ones, takes up bandwidth. If you really must quote a post to make your point, and the original post is very long, please try to quote maybe just one or two sentences from the post.

(2) Pictures take up huge amounts of bandwidth when one views the thread. Please try to keep your pics as small as possible. Perhaps you could even post a hyperlink to your photos.

STARRSHIP TROOPER
06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
This is YesFans? Try policeing your own posts. If you started a thread is it still active or releavent like Happy Birthday ? Dec 19 2003. Delete the thread you started yourself. If a member does not particepate they may still be popping in for info. They use very little memory and because they popped in they may be offering you free natchos at a show. So leave the membership alone and monitor your threads and PMs . If it's no longer realative delete. Next please donate to support the site.

1yesfan
06-25-2004, 07:16 AM
I agree. DONATE. He he he

I am a numbers type of guy. So I really rather not delete members from the site and lower the membership number. I may remove some that have not been on the site in YEARS. I can see when the last time was they visited.
I do think I may remove some older posts from the first year though.
I am also working on joining a site that will do all of my yesfans stuff that is sold. So that means more variety of shirts, hats, and OTHER STUFF!

pixiedave
06-25-2004, 07:18 AM
This is YesFans? Try policeing your own posts. If you started a thread is it still active or releavent like Happy Birthday ? Dec 19 2003. Delete the thread you started yourself. If a member does not particepate they may still be popping in for info. They use very little memory and because they popped in they may be offering you free natchos at a show. So leave the membership alone and monitor your threads and PMs . If it's no longer realative delete. Next please donate to support the site.
running around deleting old posts will use more bandwidth than just leaving them there. If an old post is just sitting there unviewed, it takes almost no room in the sql tables. To delete it, you have to find it, using bandwidth, click in the edit button, more bandwidth, and then delete it, even more bandwidth. It would be more helpfull to not make useless "ditto" or "lol" psts. And do we really need any more;"should TR and Bon Jovi form a new YES and tour madagascar threads?" Furthermore, emoticons and anything posted such as photos are what uses bandwith. Actual text can be negligible compared to the emoticons and photos. Depending on the browser you use, you can dissalow downloading of images from the site, this will lower bandwidth usage, increase your surfing speed of the site. Mozilla and Firefox are to browsers that allow this. I believe Netscape does to, but that is a horrible browser even though it is based on mozilla code. Never use IE, cause it lets hackers in. For you mac users, Safari does also, but it is kind of buggy so install mozilla or firefox.

Simon B
06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Well, that seems to have started a useful and heated debate doesn't it?

I like to think of myself more as a catalyst than a fascist. You need to read my original post think of my tongue firmly stuck in my cheek!

i am learning rather a lot about bandwidth and site management here, which was my only wish, I can't do without this site so when it is unavailable I get serious withdrawal issues!!

No more piccies from Mass on the site, going to stick to a link like Sheila says.

Total Mass

ycantibu
06-25-2004, 10:51 AM
People who do not use the site do NOT use up bandwidth. It's those of us who log in or view the site, that are actually using up the bandwidth!

PO
06-25-2004, 05:29 PM
There is a screen name I want to use that has been taken. The user has only registered (3 years ago) and has never posted.

Can I have that screen name?

pauli
06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
We could kill two birds with one stone: weed out the non-users, and then auction off all those good names to raise money for the site.

I wonder if we could confiscate their bank accounts too, the way the bank does when you haven't used your account for a while...

gathernear
06-25-2004, 06:27 PM
There is a screen name I want to use that has been taken. The user has only registered (3 years ago) and has never posted.

Can I have that screen name?

That's the ONLY reason why I voted yes.

Larry

umgekehrt
06-26-2004, 02:16 AM
I am into weeding out the non-active users. It's good and fine to have 6000 members, but that number is disillusioning because there are only a couple of hundred of us who are really actively posting.

The non-active members are slowing down the process of retrieving information. Everyday the database will check for birthdays, etc. The more members the site has, the longer it takes for the database to retrieve these informations.

BUT(t), this has to be done very carefully. First, all members who have not visited the site for 2 years will be sent this message through email: if they do not log on in the next month, they will lose their membership. They could, of course, re-register anytime. After all, it's free. In my estimation, this will remove about one-fourth of all members.

PO
06-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Anyone who hasn't been to the site for two years doesn't remember their screen name or password, most likely.

tardistraveler
06-26-2004, 02:46 AM
I voted no. Removing the members won't solve the bandwidth problem.

We need to just be mindful of the quotes and pics, as Sheila said.

And it does cost money to run this site, so donate, or purchase some YesFans merchandise!

Sheerah
06-26-2004, 04:00 AM
...or pay me to come up with more helpful tips ;)

PO
06-26-2004, 04:54 AM
So how much will screen name dillweed cost me?

Simon B
06-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Paul

Dillweed????

T