PDA

View Full Version : 2 new ideas!!!

the'YES'kid
02-27-2004, 09:32 AM
I have 2 new ideas for this forum:

1) There should be a notification per every NEW thread.
For you to find a new thread you basically have to surf through the whole site.
It would be great if we got an e-mail nitification each time a new thread is created.

2) We should be able to do a search on Location
I'm sure some people would love to find people in their area.
for example: I live in Las Vegas, and would like to know how many Yesfans members live in Vegas.

nightliner
02-27-2004, 10:34 AM
The idea of doing a search by location had been discussed sometime ago, but it never came to be.

As far as finding new threads, just click on "posts since last visit" on the home page. That will show the new threads. If we did it by email notifications you might end up getting 10 a day.

closetotheedge
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
An even better Idea get rid all the old stuff delete old threads off I did.

Some of this stuff is time sensitive so by getting rid of it it would clear up a lot of threads and messages.

1yesfan
02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
At this time the things asked here can not be done. I am sure I can get someone to write code to do it but then with the site growing as it has, those types of searches could slow us down a ton.
As for deleting old threads. I have thought of doing that. Perhaps when the site turns 3 in Aril I can delete the first 6 months to Year worth of threads that have not been touched since then.

yarstruly
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
I wonder if there is a way to "Archive" those old posts in a way that they are not Lost if someone wanted to find them, but still save space on the site...but for New posts...click "Today's posts" or "posts since last visit" and the come right up.....

the'YES'kid
02-27-2004, 02:08 PM
The idea of doing a search by location had been discussed sometime ago, but it never came to be.

As far as finding new threads, just click on "posts since last visit" on the home page. That will show the new threads. If we did it by email notifications you might end up getting 10 a day.

OK, thank you.

topopair123
02-27-2004, 03:09 PM
most of the time my post's never get on....maybe i am computer stupid or something...i would say 75% of the time they dont get on
also never get responses back when a question is asked
its like talking to my kids...
how do you start your own question on here???????

topopair123
02-27-2004, 03:15 PM
most of the time my post's never get on....maybe i am computer stupid or something...i would say 75% of the time they dont get on
also never get responses back when a question is asked
its like talking to my kids...
how do you start your own question on here???????

i figured it out holy cow...

smatt
02-27-2004, 03:57 PM
I have 2 new ideas for this forum:

1) There should be a notification per every NEW thread.
For you to find a new thread you basically have to surf through the whole site.
It would be great if we got an e-mail nitification each time a new thread is created.

2) We should be able to do a search on Location
I'm sure some people would love to find people in their area.
for example: I live in Las Vegas, and would like to know how many Yesfans members live in Vegas.

Reniet, you can search for people who included las Vegas in their profile. bt many people don't put location information in there profiles.

closetotheedge
02-27-2004, 03:59 PM
At this time the things asked here can not be done. I am sure I can get someone to write code to do it but then with the site growing as it has, those types of searches could slow us down a ton.
As for deleting old threads. I have thought of doing that. Perhaps when the site turns 3 in Aril I can delete the first 6 months to Year worth of threads that have not been touched since then.

I have deleted some old threads that I created in the past.

The people who create them should manage them that would help

smatt
02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
I have deleted some old threads that I created in the past.

The people who create them should manage them that would help

Back in my moderator days we dealt with some of these issues. Some people are very protective of their posts and post counts. If you start a thread, and then go back and delete it later, all the posts in that thread are deleted as well, not just your posts. They're gone forever, this can in fact cause ill will. Although it is up to the individual whether or not they delete their posts at some time, I would be careful about deleting threads that others have posted to.

Sheerah
03-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Tim, I think that the subject of deleting old threads and posts should be discussed in the Moderators' Forum before you make that decision.

I know that often I have gone back searching for a particular post quite a few times. It would be a darned shame to lose so much of the information that we have here.